Take a stand against the Obama/FBI anti-encryption charm offensive

Comments

• Reply 81 of 118
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    There's nothing new or novel about the authorities having access to cell phone information and tech companies have complied without protest.  All of a sudden, smart phones are considered sacred devices by encryption absolutists and Snowden lovers.  There are ways to allow law enforcement access without compromising personal privacy but the way articles like this tell it, that's beyond the capability of technology (even though everything else is possible).  Yes tech companies must do a little work to be in compliance - that's the societal bargain.  Or they can simply design future encryption with that in mind but obviously Apple made a business decision to deal with this inevitability when it became a problem instead of baking it in to their initial design. That's simply a business blunder and now they'll hopefully have to pay the price.  I'm no Obama lover, and I own Apple products, but I side with law enforcement on this one.
    The best minds in cryptography today would disagree with you.  Most likely because they know a lot more than you and I do on the subject.

Go here https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm and have a listen to Episode #534 from 17 November 2015.  Steve Gibson is a highly respected computer security guru and he covers the topic quite well.  He knows many in the cryptography field and provides a very good explanation on why it is not technically possible to do what you suggest.  Plus, he is just interesting to listen to as well !!

ewtheckmansteveh
  • Reply 82 of 118
    CMA102DLCMA102DL Posts: 121member
    Community-based, open source OS and 100% dependent on encryption is the answer. The open source component will hopefully prevent the US Govt from harassing a private company. Though at this point, we would agree that this concept could not be incorporated into Apple. Apple would want to keep their products proprietary and closed and this gives the US Govt an opportunity to go to them and coerce them into giving them access to information or change the way they are doing things.
  • Reply 83 of 118
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    apple ][ said:
    stsk said:
    Daniel, please please please don't refer to the incident as terrorism, unless you refer to shooting up an office Christmas party as an act of terror. The only reason the DOJ uses that term is because the morons pee their pants every time someone in authority invokes the boogeyman "TERROR!" or "Muslim". The non-postal workers shooting up their workplace were NOT terrorists - they were wackos who happened to be Muslim. Don't fall into buying the Feeb's nonsense manipulative rhetoric. Anyone who uses the term terrorist to describe that incident is supporting the Feebs. Don't be that guy.
    It was terrorism, Islamic terrorism to be precise. They were ISIS supporters and they were dirty terrorists. I am sorry if you have a problem with reality and facts. 

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/05/us/san-bernardino-shooting/
    nope. work place violence isn't terrorism -- unless all those white Christian postal workers were also terrorists, in which case we've changed the definition of what the word means. 
    edited March 2016 stskbaconstang
  • Reply 84 of 118
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    There is a possible solution, maybe difficult, but if Apple could create a unique hardware based encryption key for every individual device, this could then be split in two,  Apple could hold one half of the key and the other half could be held by FBI/Government/other agency. The two halves of the key could only bought together with a court order and the physical presence of the device.  Even if both halves of the keys were stolen it would be useless with out the actual physical device.
    Besides that being a completely dumb thing that is just as bad, maybe worse and already tried in the past!!! This whole argument was done in the early 90's and the FBI lost!!! Go Google Clipper Chip!!! I think this is a very good article on this matter. https://backchannel.com/why-are-we-fighting-the-crypto-wars-again-b5310a423295#.haxirwo9x
    ewtheckmanbaconstang
  • Reply 85 of 118
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    frac said:
    Whoa!! 5 duplicate posts all with the same number!
    i did not do that!
    Way to stuff the ballot box, frac! ;)
    Heh heh...that would be AI stuffing the ballot box  :D
    seriously...this site has dog's breakfast written all over it. 
    and there's another dropped capital...and another...
  • Reply 86 of 118
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Andrew_M said:

The fact of the matter is that government has always required some type of public safety designs of private property. For example, buildings would be more secure against burglars if there were no windows. But building codes protect the greater public interest by requiring windows, fire escapes, etc. Requiring a means to access data by court order is not that much different. It’s in the public interest and hardly an intrusion for 99.999% of the population. 

I hope you take a moment to realize that the majority of garbage that floats out of Washington, for many decades now, is utterly unconstitutional. The people who crafted our Constitution and Bill of Rights would be horrified at what has become of this country and they would wonder why the people had not thrown everyone in government out on their ears or had them imprisoned for treason.
  • Reply 87 of 118
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Perhaps Apple should engineer a version of iOS SPECIFICALLY FOR GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES (since both San Bernadino shooters were working for the local government) with no native security options. No TouchID, no pass codes, no crypto. No data protections of any kind. They'll love it! Then require by law ALL politicians and public servants must use this "Freedom Phone".
    icoco3tallest skiljony0
  • Reply 88 of 118
    I'm reading these comments and it's obvious that general computer science education is lacking. Making a breakable encryption is a factually dumb idea. Other comments like trusting the government (ROFLCOPTER) to securely escrow a part of a decryption key is beyond belief. I don't even know how someone can even imagine that unless it was a joke.
    SpamSandwichicoco3
  • Reply 89 of 118
    jbdragon said:

Besides that being a completely dumb thing that is just as bad, maybe worse and already tried in the past!!! This whole argument was done in the early 90's and the FBI lost!!! Go Google Clipper Chip!!! I think this is a very good article on this matter. https://backchannel.com/why-are-we-fighting-the-crypto-wars-again-b5310a423295#.haxirwo9x
    That is an excellent, excellent article!
  • Reply 90 of 118
    CMA102DLCMA102DL Posts: 121member
    Andrew_M said:

The fact of the matter is that government has always required some type of public safety designs of private property. For example, buildings would be more secure against burglars if there were no windows. But building codes protect the greater public interest by requiring windows, fire escapes, etc. Requiring a means to access data by court order is not that much different. It’s in the public interest and hardly an intrusion for 99.999% of the population. 

I hope you take a moment to realize that the majority of garbage that floats out of Washington, for many decades now, is utterly unconstitutional. The people who crafted our Constitution and Bill of Rights would be horrified at what has become of this country and they would wonder why the people had not thrown everyone in government out on their ears or had them imprisoned for treason.
    You will find a lot of people in government that wished that there were no US Constitution. They feel like their hands are tied from doing what they see is "right". In an environment of secrecy and lack of oversight, the Constitution is often perverted through corrupt lawyers. This is why the 215 program from the NSA came under fire few years ago after the Snowden leaks. Yet this and other questionable programs were approved by the FISA secret court and 100% legal...James Comey thinks that the law should adapt to technological changes. I do not think so. It is like saying that the US Constitution should undergo an update every 10 years because of technological changes.
    edited March 2016 SpamSandwichicoco3baconstangewtheckman
  • Reply 91 of 118
    Remember, this current administration had not qualms about harassing applicants for 501(c)4 status, based on their political orientation. Who is to say, that, with the same The End Justifies the Means attitude they wouldn’t violate an individual’s privacy for political purposes, using the full force of the government. Already we are living under a legal and regulatory edifice so arcane that many, especially, if we are business owners, unwittingly are breaking a rule or law. Do we really want to give the government the ability to go on fishing expeditions by snooping through our phones? Do you think that a government that abuses the IRS to punish political enemies would abide by having to get a warrant in each and every case?

If you are on the opposite side of the political spectrum from me, would you like a Republican administration to have that power?
    SpamSandwichCMA102DLtallest skiljony0ewtheckman
  • Reply 92 of 118
    So let me see if I can follow Apple logic. If I have a safe deposit box at the bank and keep the record of my illegal activities there, police can get a search warrant and force the bank to open the box. However, if I keep all of my illegal activities on an overpriced iPhone and encrypt it with the help of Apple, I'm in the clear because Apple, unlike banks, doesn't have to comply with any legal search warrants. I see this strictly as a marketing ploy on Apple's part that makes me feel far less secure than I did before. To me, it's just this simple....Don't do anything illegal and you don't need encryption. What did people do in the time BEFORE iPhones? Apple....The criminal's friend and confidant.
    utter nonsense. encryption is what keeps your money in the bank, holmes.

and you've failed at understanding the issue -- apple doest HAVE the key. you do. and you ate it. the next step for law enforcement is to force open the box themselves, since the bank can't help. LE does this by calling the NSA, or banking up the flash memory, etc... lots of tools at their own disposal.
  • Reply 93 of 118
    ceek74 said:
    Ahh, the 1 posters.  Welcome.  Stick around, you may learn something.
    its rich that AI held many of us up for a dozen posts or more when we joined (talking about nothing, really), but has opened the floodgates to the 1-post troll wonders. thanks, AI....not.
    jony0
  • Reply 94 of 118
    once it is known u can do something it is only a matter of time before someone with unhonorable intentions will re-create it & use it against us. there is a bad track record of this
  • Reply 95 of 118
    Andrew_M said:

yeah, and they'd be appalled that women can vote and blacks are now worth one whole person. 

thats the thing so called constitutionists failed to grasp -- that the founders provided it as a framework to enable change. a tool. they knew full well things would change and there are mechanisms to do so. we have a bill of rights, and a tool to modify law. 

they weren't putting themselves forward as gods or idols. nobody actually knows how they would feel on these things -- they're dead. there's no such thing as ghosts or channeling. the only thing that matters is the people living today, and using the tools at our disposal to shape the world of the living. and that's what the framework of the constitution provides us with. it's a pretty good tool. 
    edited March 2016 palomine
  • Reply 96 of 118
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    apple ][ said:
    It was terrorism, Islamic terrorism to be precise. They were ISIS supporters and they were dirty terrorists. I am sorry if you have a problem with reality and facts. 

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/05/us/san-bernardino-shooting/
    nope. work place violence isn't terrorism -- unless all those white Christian postal workers were also terrorists, in which case we've changed the definition of what the word means. 
    The actors' intent makes the difference. The location of the action has less to do with the purpose of the act.

Postal workers going nonlinear at the office because of personal conflicts with co-workers is "workplace violence".

A county employee and his wife shooting up an office party, having declared their allegiance to a terrorist organization, after weeks or months of prior planning driven by the goals of said terrorist organization is terrorism.
    icoco3radarthekatjony0ewtheckman
  • Reply 97 of 118
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    So let me see if I can follow Apple logic. If I have a safe deposit box at the bank and keep the record of my illegal activities there, police can get a search warrant and force the bank to open the box. However, if I keep all of my illegal activities on an overpriced iPhone and encrypt it with the help of Apple, I'm in the clear because Apple, unlike banks, doesn't have to comply with any legal search warrants. I see this strictly as a marketing ploy on Apple's part that makes me feel far less secure than I did before. To me, it's just this simple....Don't do anything illegal and you don't need encryption. What did people do in the time BEFORE iPhones? Apple....The criminal's friend and confidant.
    More like having your illegal activities in a safe that the FBI can't crack, then going to the manufacturer of that safe and forcing them to manufacture a device that will let the government (or anyone else) easily break into any safe of that type. 
  • Reply 98 of 118
    jungmark said:

So give a third party total control over all your info? What if that third party is a govt hiding as a nested web of shell corporations? 

No thanks. 
    How do you know the NSA isn't a secret contributor to Android's open source project?

Regardless, you seem to have missed the part where I talked about sandboxing the code such that everything stays on the device.
  • Reply 99 of 118
    brakken said:

Your understanding of software architecture vs software management is confused and superficial.
    You'd better hope not, since I'm an iOS developer and write banking applications for some major US corporations...
  • Reply 100 of 118
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    So let me see if I can follow Apple logic. If I have a safe deposit box at the bank and keep the record of my illegal activities there, police can get a search warrant and force the bank to open the box.
    Yep.
    However, if I keep all of my illegal activities on an overpriced iPhone...
    Here’s your problem; you were too stupid to shop around for a good deal and paid more than MSRP on eBay!
    I’m in the clear because Apple, unlike banks, doesn’t have to comply with any legal search warrants.
    Unlike safe deposit boxes, ONE KEY DOES NOT OPEN EVERY BOX IN EXISTENCE, you blithering idiot.
    icoco3