Justice Department asserts it could demand source code, signing key from Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    designrdesignr Posts: 540member
    designr said:

Not sure it can stop the demand, but it could provide legal protection from actually getting it. I'm not sure how international law handles these things.
    Unless it's covered by such treaties such a TTP. In this scenario I could see Apple having a bad time conducting business in the USA, but it won't get to that point either it goes through all the legal hurdles and Apple complies or Apple wins and nothing changes.
    Of course, if it went that way, they could (and would) try to stop Apple from selling the in US.

Agreed it won't get to that point.
    edited March 2016 nousersingularity
  • Reply 22 of 82
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,791member
    Soli said:
    LOL Good luck with that.
    They could be found in contempt of court, FBI could raid Apple's US locations and confiscate all their computers. Farfetched but not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Apple should relocate all software development outside of US immediately, and it needs to be to a country that is not a US puppet and can stand up to pressure. That makes at the most two, neither of which could probably ultimately withstand US sanctions and none of Apple's software engineers are going to want to live there.

Great idea chasing the single largest taxpayer out of the country.
    edited March 2016 nouserpalominelatifbplostkiwi
  • Reply 23 of 82
    dinoonedinoone Posts: 58member
    Apple has likely erased the source code for iOS 8 when it released iOS 9. And portions of iOS may belong to non-US Apple international subsidiaries, where US judicial system orders have no validity (jurisdiction). Oops...
    edited March 2016 nouser
  • Reply 24 of 82
    nousernouser Posts: 65member
    For Sale: Brand new, beautiful futuristic saucer shaped headquarters building located in prime California area.  Perfect for a group like the FBI, NSA, CIA, or EPA government offices.  Original owner is relocating to Ireland and has no use for it. 

designrcnocbuipalomineapplejeffMisterKitSpamSandwichlatifbpbaconstangbrakken
  • Reply 25 of 82
    dougddougd Posts: 290member
    Time to overthrow the God Damn government !
    brakken
  • Reply 26 of 82
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 100member
    dinoone said:
    Apple has likely erased the source code for iOS 8 when it released iOS 9. And portions of iOS may belong to non-US Apple international subsidiaries, where US judicial system orders have no validity (jurisdiction). Oops...
    More likely is that Apple uses version control...
  • Reply 27 of 82
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 100member
    dougd said:
    We have regularly scheduled government overthrows, they are called elections.
    fracwetlanderbaconstangdasanman69bestkeptsecretnouser
  • Reply 28 of 82
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 209member
    And who in the FBI would understand how to code IOS? Would be *Hilarious* if Apple did give it to them and then the FBI botched it and wiped the phone with a bug
    baconstangnouser
  • Reply 29 of 82
    designrdesignr Posts: 540member
    creek0512 said:
    dougd said:

How adorable.

ceek74SpamSandwichbrakken
  • Reply 30 of 82
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    creek0512 said:
    dougd said:
    Yeah, everyone's chance to "vote" for the least worst candidate.  Like elections aren't rigged.  They do make many people feel "empowered" though.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    farmboyfarmboy Posts: 152member
    dinoone said:
    No, that would all be archived. Nothing can ever be erased for legal and quality system reasons. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 32 of 82
    The assumption that you could just hand over the entire source code to an iPhone and makes sense of it in a reasonable time is ludicrous. This is the same government that cannot roll out a health care website, but would be trying to understand and repurpose an entire operating system. And I'm sure there will be plenty of Apple engineers to jump ship to a government salary to help explain it to them.
    baconstang
  • Reply 33 of 82
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,526member
    I would love to watch members of Congress debate whether Apple should be nationalized.  They could get the source code for iOS and Mac OS and enough money to pay for another small invasion.
    ceek74designr
  • Reply 34 of 82
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 172member
    designr said:
    And how would that stop them demanding the code?

Not sure it can stop the demand, but it could provide legal protection from actually getting it. I'm not sure how international law handles these things.
    Then the US could prohibit sales of iPhones in the US and perhaps other countries that support the US.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 172member
    designr said:

Unless it's covered by such treaties such a TTP. In this scenario I could see Apple having a bad time conducting business in the USA, but it won't get to that point either it goes through all the legal hurdles and Apple complies or Apple wins and nothing changes.
    If Apple wins, Congress can make it law that they have to do what the FBI is requesting.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 231member
    The source code is useless without the expertise of the ones who created it.
  • Reply 37 of 82
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    spacekid said:
    designr said:

Then the US could prohibit sales of iPhones in the US and perhaps other countries that support the US.
    Then, Apple relocates and lobbies the other countries stop the sales of whatever the US is selling and you have a god damn mess.
    This kind of thing never goes well with anyone.
    Between killing tens of billions of dolllars and tens of thousands of high paying jobs going into the US economy and starting a global trade war, I'm sure "maybe" preventing one crime every decade will be worth it.
    latifbplostkiwi
  • Reply 38 of 82
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    spacekid said:
    If Apple wins, Congress can make it law that they have to do what the FBI is requesting.
    So, if the supreme court sides with Apple congress can go around that? WTF are you talking about.
    baconstang
  • Reply 39 of 82
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,719member
    Obama's DOJ is acting like the mob. 

"It'll be a shame if your Apple Store is shut down for various violations. You know what I'm saying?" 
    designrration allostkiwi
  • Reply 40 of 82
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    In theory, with source code and a signing key, the Justice Department could break into any iPhone.  The question is whether or not they have enough competence to do so before the heat death of the universe.  The bad news is that that both would leak and every criminal hacker would be able to break into any iPhone.
    fastasleepbaconstang