Rumor: Chinese spy shots show 'iPhone 7' with dual cameras, no home button

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    It's a fake.  Looks photoshopped around the upper left corner of the camera.  Compare it to the camera surround of the 6S.  I don't believe that Apple would employ such an inelegant solution for the camera surround--just extruding the aluminum case to accommodate the camera.  Seems very un-Apple like.

• Reply 22 of 56
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    The camera array tech Linx Apple has acquired doesn't include such a dual lens arrangement. It has a dual lens array but much smaller than that. Unless one large and one small lens are used...

Also the removal of the home button is expected to make the phone shorter. There is no point to remove the home button if it doesn't contribute to the manageability of that form factor. All the bottom bezel may be redesigned as Home button or TouchID area, however.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 23 of 56
    Actually, our comments of gawking disbelief are so reminiscent of our carping and moaning at the iPhone 6 leaks during 2014 (antenna lines! camera bump! obvious photoshopping!), hoping against hope to be proven wrong, that I'm rather convinced this might as well be the final design.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 24 of 56
    Rayz2016 said:
    I don't think so.

Ive would have a seizure if the camera module looked like that. And no home button? 

Nope, nothing to see here.

Nah. Ive would have a seizure if the device was millimetres thicker than the previous generation. The rest can go unnoticed. 
  • Reply 25 of 56
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'm going to play the contrarian, and let's just assume that the photos are real, for the sake of conversation.

People were complaining about the antenna bands? Well, there doesn't seem to be any on this iPhone, so those people can now quit whining about the bands. I was not one of those people, and I never had any problems with the antenna bands on the iPhone.

The Camera? Whatever dual camera lens system that Apple is using is apparently thicker than the phone.

Would you prefer that Apple puts in a far worse camera instead, so that the camera is flush with the phone, or would you rather prefer a kick ass camera? 

edited March 2016 6Sgoldfishchia
  • Reply 26 of 56
    apple ][ said:
    I'm going to play the contrarian, and let's just assume that the photos are real, for the sake of conversation.

People were complaining about the antenna bands? Well, there doesn't seem to be any on this iPhone, so those people can now quit whining about the bands. I was not one of those people, and I never had any problems with the antenna bands on the iPhone.

The Camera? Whatever dual camera lens system that Apple is using is apparently thicker than the phone.

Would you prefer that Apple puts in a far worse camera instead, so that the camera is flush with the phone, or would you rather prefer a kick ass camera? 

I'm going to play contrarian overkill: I would prefer a phone just thick enough to house that kick-ass camera in a flush shell with awesome battery and a headphone jack.
    *ba dum tss*
    edited March 2016 bobschlobnetmageSir_Turkeyargonaut
  • Reply 27 of 56

I'm going to play contrarian overkill: I would prefer a phone just thick enough to house that kick-ass camera in a flush shell with awesome battery and a headphone jack.
    *ba dum tss*
    There's reality and then there's fantasy.

What you wish for clearly belongs in the fantasy realm, as anybody who knows Apple, knows that they aren't going to drastically thicken the iPhone all of a sudden.

Apple has always been about making their products thinner. Besides a few rare exceptions, such as the iPad 3, Apple's products get thinner each year.

Apple is not about to change their entire philosophy just because a few people think that they would like thick, heavy iPhones with a larger battery.
    nolamacguychia
  • Reply 28 of 56
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    It's hard to see how they can do TouchID without a home button. The current one is sapphire for a reason, and I don't think we're going into the territory of all-sapphire screens. Not after the GTAT debacle.
    netmageargonaut
  • Reply 29 of 56
    apple ][ said:
    *ba dum tss*

What you wish for clearly belongs in the fantasy realm, as anybody who knows Apple, knows that they aren't going to drastically thicken the iPhone all of a sudden.

Apple has always been about making their products thinner. Besides a few rare exceptions, such as the iPad 3, Apple's products get thinner each year.

Apple is not about to change their entire philosophy just because a few people think that they would like thick, heavy iPhones with a larger battery.
    I knowingly expressed a bit of wishful thinking before, but wait a minute: maintaining roughly the dimensions of the iPhone 6(S), a phone so thin that its structural integrity has come into question, to house this camera module without further slimming would render the device "drastically thick and heavy"??? Please. Now we're pushing the boundaries of contrarianism. 
    edited March 2016 netmage
  • Reply 30 of 56
    I knowingly expressed a bit of wishful thinking before, but wait a minute: maintaining roughly the dimensions of the iPhone 6(S), a phone so thin that its structural integrity has come into question, to house this camera module without further slimming would render the device "drastically thick and heavy"??? Please. Now we're pushing the boundaries of contrarianism. 
    Do we know the official dimensions and the thickness of this iPhone 7 VS iPhone 6s+?

Just looking at the photos, they seem pretty similar in thickness.

It's possible that the dual lens system would have to be protruding, no matter what.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    apple ][ said:
    Do we know the official dimensions and the thickness of this iPhone 7 VS iPhone 6s+?

Just looking at the photos, they seem pretty similar in thickness.

It's possible that the dual lens system would have to be protruding, no matter what.
    There's no way that we can know exact dimensions, let alone whether the photos above indeed stand. I was following the rationale behind the purported headphone jack sacrifice, to facilitate further device slimming. Otherwise what would be the point?
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 32 of 56
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    apple ][ said:

*ba dum tss*
    I am different. I, like other 95% of iPhone owners will put a thin/clear case on the phone anyway, so the camera hump doesn't bother me one bit. I use .2-.3mm case on my 6+ and it's leveled with the camera bulge perfectly. Let's see the final product. I would bet this it or maybe 90% of the final version. 
    edited March 2016 netmagenolamacguy
  • Reply 33 of 56
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    wizard69 said:
    levi said:
    I've wondered what an attractive implementation of a dual lense iPhone might look like. Not sure this is it. 
    I wonder when people will stop stressing about something that means nothing?
    Yes. Aesthetics means nothing to Apple. (rolls eyes so hard they fall out of sockets)
    6Sgoldfishargonaut
  • Reply 34 of 56
    This would be the first iPhone that I would buy a case for, 'specifically" to cover it's ugliness. (if it were real {which it is not})
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 35 of 56
    apple ][ said:
    *ba dum tss*

Uh... well, unless you consider the phone that comes out next week.
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 36 of 56
    My 13 year old niece could do a better Photoshop job than that because if you can't tell...every photo is clearly altered. 
  • Reply 37 of 56
    just in case anyone has not realised the actual reason yet, the raised bump for the camera is there intentionally, because a flush camera produces crap images when many  cases are added to the phone. The flash burst reflects off the case, and affects the image. Similar results in bright light, reflection from coloured cases to the lens. 
    Any good photographer will confirm how the smallest effect of this will change images.

Raise the lens, so it has a natural "barrier" from the flash that is _right_beside it.
    Also puts the lens closer the edge of most cases.

Apple have been known to put functionality over aesthetics before, especially in such an important area. (e.g. antenna bands)
    patchythepirateargonaut
  • Reply 38 of 56
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    mac_128 said:
    I don't see why the smart connector would be so puzzling to AI. Apple built their first battery case and they realized just how much doing the lightning connector pass through sucks. This will allow battery cases and other accessories (especially built into cases, or on docks, etc) to work without blocking the lightning connector. 
    I agree. It's also a kind of inductive charging method, not requiring the Lightning cable to physically be plugged in while charging, eliminating the need for a pass through plug or adapter for using Lightning audio devices. 
    I also agree, for battery case and other accessories. However I think the Smart Connector would be not kind of but rather a better alternative to inductive charging. No carrying around an induction coil in the phone just to sip charging power inefficiently. It would almost have to come with a dock that would enable a one-handed gesture of laying down the phone like on an inductive pad. The connector could also further the other 2 rumoured quests of waterproofing and removing the headphone jack, especially if they also remove the Lightning plug to seal off everything. Of course that would leave the SIM card tray, not sure if the telcos are ready or have changed their view on Apple's built-in SIM card for the phone, maybe after the iPad Pro they wouldn't scream as hard.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    Zooming into the right image shows a narrower top bezel and a dot looking like the proximity sensor or camera. Its location is unusual, however, these may be a reflection from behind the photographer.

Zoom in the left image and the dot is still there, unless this is noise...
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 40 of 56
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Would love to see something similar for the NBA or NFL

levi said:
    I've wondered what an attractive implementation of a dual lense iPhone might look like. Not sure this is it. 
    Go look at the macrumors story with the feld and volk renderings. 
    Thanks, I saw those as well (Cult of Mac). It still feels off to me, though I wasn't blown away by the 6 when it was first leaked either. My opinion changed by the time it was unveiled, and with it actually in hand. I think the dual lens will be harder to pull off aesthetically, though if it delivers near DSLR functionality, then many probably won't care.