Apple News to open to all publishers this week, get public reader metrics by mid-2016

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is opening the iOS 9 News app to all publishers this week, potentially greatly increasing the amount of content on the service, the company revealed on Tuesday.

Smaller publishers and even individual bloggers can now access the service's publishing tools, Apple informed Bloomberg. Since the News app debuted in September, its feeds have been populated only by higher-profile publications allowed in by Apple, such as The Atlantic or the New York Times.

An anonymous source meanwhile claimed that Apple has fixed a problem with inaccurate reader metrics, which it admitted to January. The app has been properly integrated with ComScore, the person said, and traffic figures should be made public by the middle of the year.

Apple is also planning to make it easier for publishers to see data like shares, unique views, and reading time, the source noted. Separately, the company should launch an ad campaign to draw in more readers.

Recently Apple published a developer document with guidelines for iAds in the News app, which may have been in anticipation of today's announcement. The Bloomberg source mentioned that publishers should keep 100 percent of the revenue from ads they sell in articles, while Apple will take a 30 percent cut from ads it sells.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    My blog has been on Apple News since launch. 
    cornchipRayz2016
  • Reply 2 of 10
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    since I recently installed content blockers, I find the experience a bit jarring when I'm redirected to a full website but one which doesn't honor my content blockers. I may as well stick to safari. 
    lostkiwibonobobargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 10
    CoreMeCoreMe Posts: 3member
    If Apple would make the app for OS X (with sync capabilities), I would drop Feedly and any other newsreaders in a heartbeat. That would have to increase readership and income for all!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Still waiting for News app to show up in the Netherlands :-( 
    I hope 9.3 will make it happen. 
  • Reply 5 of 10
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    sog35 said:
    I like Apple news.  Only 2 complaints:

1. sometimes it takes LONG to load new articles

2. hate when you get redirected to read the whole article. The native sites suck and are full of crap full screen ads. Wish Apple would only allow all articles to be in the AppleNews app format only.
    Feel same way. Really like it. But to add to the 'long time to load' issue is the fact that if I don't open it for a few days, it seems to load alllllllll the stories that I missed during that time (dozens and dozens and dozens of them). And it's all old news at that point; I don't really need it see it.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    I'm with you, I hope expanding to all kinds of publishers means that is not restricted to the US and, as far as I know Australia and the UK.
    Anyway you can use it, If you have several iOS devices set one to US region, after setting the language to English, then reset to your language and it works, and I'm right now using it in my iPod Touch from Spain. If not, and you are interested in testing the app, like me, make the change of settings, test the app, and than reset your region to Netherlands. It will be gone, but at least you will know if its worth the wait. Let me give you a hint, as far as I have check, not to much at this stage.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    since I recently installed content blockers, I find the experience a bit jarring when I'm redirected to a full website but one which doesn't honor my content blockers. I may as well stick to safari. 
    Agree. 

I hate when they redirect you to a full website. In fact 99% of the time I simply refuse to read the article if they require a redirect.
    Same here. 
  • Reply 8 of 10
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Not in the beta so far
  • Reply 9 of 10
    debusohdebusoh Posts: 85member
    The biggest thing on my wishlist for the news app (which I like quite a bit) is that when you watch videos in the news app and turn the phone on its side, it doesn't rotate the video and make if fill the screen like it does when viewing in Safari.