Apple Pay support comes to Ally Bank

Posted:
in General Discussion
Customers of Ally Bank can now use their debit card with Apple Pay, allowing secure contactless payments with iPhone and Apple Watch at compatible points of sale.

Ally officially announced support for Apple Pay on Wednesday, along with the addition of Touch ID login for its official iOS app.

For now, Apple Pay is the exclusive smartphone-based contactless payment service for Ally Bank customers. The company said on Wednesday that is "working on" adding support for Android Pay and Samsung Pay, which it expects to add in the "near future."

Apple Pay is available on the iPhone 6 and newer models, as well as Apple Watch. Support for Apple Pay in-app purchases is also available on newer iPads.

"Given the growing use of mobile devices, offering Apple Pay to our customers is yet another way we are making banking convenient and simple," said Diane Morais, chief executive officer and president of Ally Bank.

Apple Pay has been gradually adding regional banks across the U.S. since the service launched in late 2014. Ally Bank, however, was a noteworthy holdout among national banks, as most other companies have offered Apple Pay support for some time.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 7
    ibyronibyron Posts: 7member
    I'm not seeing this in the App Store yet.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ibyron said:
    I'm not seeing this in the App Store yet.
    Just add the card to Apple pay in the Wallet app. It works. No need to update the app. 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    WundrWundr Posts: 4member
    Every time I go to Trader Joes, it's the person using Apple Pay who holds up the line.

I won't be switching to an NFC-capable iPhone anytime soon.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Wundr said:
    Every time I go to Trader Joes, it's the person using Apple Pay who holds up the line.

Every time I use Apple Pay, I'm one of fastest to leave the line.  So what's your point?
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 6 of 7
    sflocal said:
    Wundr said:

Every time I use Apple Pay, I'm one of fastest to leave the line.  So what's your point?
    Being able to bypass the 20 questions on the screen gets my transaction over in seconds. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Wundr said:

Yes, because switching to an NFC-capable iPhone requires that you use Apple Pay for all future transactions. 

/s