Tidal extends some free trials by 30 days so listeners can hear updated Kanye West album

Posted:
in General Discussion
In an unusual move, streaming music service Tidal is extending the free trials of some listeners by 30 days so they can hear the updated version of Kanye West's rap album The Life of Pablo.

People who signed up for a recent trial are getting notifications via email, The Verge said on Wednesday. The messages explain that people can hear things like the new version of "Wolves," and "Fade," which Tidal claims is a track previously absent from the album but has actually been around since the beginning.

The record has also been updated in other ways though, some examples being changes to "Famous," and the addition of "Frank's Track," previously just the outro of "Wolves."

The Life of Pablo remains a Tidal exclusive, unavailable on services like Apple Music or Spotify. It was first launched on Feb. 14, and its exclusivity briefly caused the Tidal iOS app to soar to the top of App Store download charts. At the moment, Tidal is fifth on the list of the highest-grossing iPhone apps.

Tidal has otherwise struggled to grow its subscriber base, despite a number of exclusives. Aside from these, the service's main selling points are better royalty payments to artists and a $19.99 "HiFi" plan with lossless audio. The standard $9.99 tier offers streaming at either 96 or 320 kilobits per second.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Ok this Kayne guy got his 15 minutes. Can we stop talking about him now.
    tallest skilmwhiteargonautjbishop1039ewtheckman6Sgoldfishjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 19
    ireland said:
    Now that he's tied to the Kardashians, not gonna happen. They made a career of stretching her 15 minutes of fame into an actual career of nothing. The devil made a killing in souls on that bunch, apparently. 
    mwhiteargonaut6Sgoldfishjbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 19
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Why are they punishing us?
    mwhiteargonautgp58
  • Reply 4 of 19
    gp58gp58 Posts: 1member
    totally agree... why do we have to keep listening about this guy.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    I would rather have all of my teeth pulled out with a pair of pliers than have to hear any of his so called "music"
    jbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 19
    I'd rather hear about that crazy sheriff wanting to arrest Tim Cook instead of this guy. I honestly never even read the article, I just knew the comments would be good here :)
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 19
    If recording artist makes an album with pirated software, should anyone be required to pay for it? 
    [Deleted User]jbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    LOL. Nope.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    ireland said:
    Well, now that we are defining "15 minutes" as "well over a decade" it's going to make keeping one's schedule proper and up to date quite difficult. :)

Seriously though, I think Kanye's a complete idiot.  A lot of the stuff he says makes absolutely no sense, and the little that does make sense is just absurd.

BUT ...

I have to admit to liking his music.  I was listening to "The College Dropout" just last night, in fact.  
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Oh good! Now I can right right out and … ignore him some more.  :s
  • Reply 11 of 19
    zoetmb said:
    Why are they punishing us?
    I'd counter that by keeping it OFF Apple Music they're doing us all a favor
    tallest skilewtheckman
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Who's Kanye West? Isn't he, like, a Kardashian or something?
    edited March 2016 xiamenbillSpamSandwich
  • Reply 13 of 19
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member
    I just don't think most ppl on Tidal give a s*** about Kanye's album.  The people I know who subscribe to Tidal are audiophiles and wannabe-audiophiles.  They want their classical and Steely Dan, not Kanye.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Much rather they turn back time itself and give exposed brains their wasted time back.. 
  • Reply 15 of 19
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    Bless their hearts.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member

concerning this extension, it seems like Tidal is trying to distort its subscription numbers since they have been disappointing to investors. Using a revision to Kanye’s album to extend the trial period in hopes that more people will sign up is a thinly veiled attempt to right a sinking ship.

After watching the digital music industry for the past 15 years, it’s clear that the deck is stacked in favor of the RIAA. Any new company foolish enough to think it can turn a healthy profit playing music when the industry is already saturated with Pandora, Spotify, Apple, iTunes, Google Play needs this wake up call. Those that survived have deep pockets and/or a massive installed base. 2 years ago, there were 13+ streaming services. Now 1/3 of those have either shut down or have been acquired. Sure Tidal offers lossless, but at $240/year, I doubt most people who’d like it would be willing to pay for it. Even $120/year for lossless is not a good deal for most consumers when the average american’s yearly entertainment budget is less than $1200. For comparison: for $240/year I can subscribe to both Netflix & Hulu, while still streaming for free on Pandora, Last.FM or Bandcamp.

aaronj said:
    ireland said:
    Well, now that we are defining "15 minutes" as "well over a decade" it's going to make keeping one's schedule proper and up to date quite difficult. :)

Seriously though, I think Kanye's a complete idiot.  A lot of the stuff he says makes absolutely no sense, and the little that does make sense is just absurd.

BUT ...

I have to admit to liking his music.  I was listening to "The College Dropout" just last night, in fact.  

I’m not sure if he’s completely surrounded himself with “yes”-men or if he’s completely high (or a combo of both), but no matter how talented someone is in one area, it doesn’t mean they’re also good in other areas. Expertise in one area, doesn’t mean expertise in other areas—even those closely related.

But people who don’t like to think seem to want icons to listen to. Lacking a king or queen, we’ve elevated celebrities to those roles, no matter what their beliefs. Celebrities who say things that would be considered batshit crazy coming from anyone else influence their less intelligent fans into believing their uninformed opinions. But I imagine most people who visit this site probably don’t fall into this category.

• Reply 17 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Didn't realise Tidal had a free trial.  I'll wait a while until the technical issues they've been having recently are put to bed.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I was oscillating between keeping or cancelling my subscription after a free trial period. Then Kanye made up my mind for me. Byebye Tidal. 
  • Reply 19 of 19
    "Some were pleased by events,
    some dissapointed,
    in the end,
    nothing of value was lost,
    or achieved."

Quote, me.