Purported packaging leak claims to confirm 'iPhone SE' name, NFC for Apple's new 4" iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2016
Nefarious supply chain personnel in China seem to have once again defied their non-disclosure agreements, snapping what is said to be a photo of the specifications sticker affixed to the box for Apple's iPhone 5c successor.

According to the sticker, Apple will drop the "5" from the new handset's name, sticking instead with "iPhone SE." The device will be available in a 16-gigabyte capacity and carry an NFC chip for Apple Pay support.

In separate posts, the leaker intimates that the iPhone SE will also be available in a 64-gigabyte configuration, with four color choices -- presumably silver, space gray, gold, and rose gold. The tipster also wrote that the overall design of the iPhone SE is similar to the iPhone 6s, which matches up with numerous previous predictions.

Other than the size and general design, however, very little information about Apple's upcoming small iPhone has leaked. Analysts are split on whether the device will run the A9 chip or an older variant, and while there is some evidence to suggest that the iPhone SE may carry a 4K-capable camera, that remains far from certain.

For those who are interested, one video posted to Chinese video sharing site Youku shows what appears to be an iPhone 5s transposed into a smaller iPhone 6-style body, giving a good idea of what the new handset might look like. The makers of the video reiterate the speculation of an included A9, though since the device is not legitimate that information may not be either.

The mystery will be cleared up in less than a week when Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone SE -- along with a new iPad Air -- at an event in Cupertino.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    What does 'e' stands for again? Epic? Erratic? Elegant? Energy?
  • Reply 2 of 28
  • Reply 3 of 28
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    would imagine they'll have 16/64/128GB for these phones. plenty of people just want a smaller phone...
    Sir_Turkeychuck1252
  • Reply 4 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Every iPhone, Watch and iPad will be Apple Pay-ready and those numbers are something both online and offline retailers should not ignore.
    designrpscooter63chuck1252
  • Reply 5 of 28
    macapfel said:
    What does 'e' stands for again? Epic? Erratic? Elegant? Energy?
    It's not as if this is Apple's first product to have an SE designation. I just want the iPhone SE/30 soon. 
  • Reply 6 of 28
    sog35 said:

Many modern people only need 16GB.

Many people have all their photo's on the cloud, their music and movies are streamed on Netflix/AppleMusic. Really no reason to have a ton of storage. This isn't 1995
    Data caps (hard to stream videos and music because of this), 4K video capabilities in smartphones, storage size of apps especially games, many people also don't want their photos and other data in the cloud, etc.. 16GB just won't cut it. Sure they can go 64GB but $100 more is a $100 more. I think Apple should up the base model to 32GB and I doubt that will hurt their margin so much.
    lord amhran
  • Reply 7 of 28
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    designr said:
    I'm curious what those who want more are using it all for.
    Well, I don't always have wifi and/or cellular connectivity.  So I have a lot of offline music.  When doing things like backcountry hiking, I take lots of photos and videos.

A little advance planning (when possible) also keeps me from over-padding the telco's wallets with all the streaming/backup traffic.
    edited March 2016 Sir_Turkey
  • Reply 8 of 28
    designr said:
    sog35 said:

Many people have all their photo's on the cloud, their music and movies are streamed on Netflix/AppleMusic. Really no reason to have a ton of storage. This isn't 1995

I have 16GB (as do my wife and daughter) and it's just fine.

I may or may not be the typical user. I don't really do tons of photos and videos. I also already have more music and podcasts stored on the phone than I actually listen to.

iPads need the boost because the apps are larger on average, iPhones because the pictures and video they shoot are increasingly large. 
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Some people do not want their stuff in the cloud? Why? I prefer to have everything in the cloud. It is backed up and can access easily across all devices. I can't speak for everyone but this data cap reason out there seems nil as most of the time I am on WIFI...at home, at work, at a friends home, at the gym, at school events...etc...
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 10 of 28
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    sog35 said:

Data caps (hard to stream videos and music because of this), 4K video capabilities in smartphones, storage size of apps especially games, many people also don't want their photos and other data in the cloud, etc.. 16GB just won't cut it. Sure they can go 64GB but $100 more is a $100 more. I think Apple should up the base model to 32GB and I doubt that will hurt their margin so much.
    If they released a 32gb handset I suspect that a large percentage of the 64gb sales would dry up overnight, they'll not do it for that reason.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What is the phone he's using in the video?
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 12 of 28
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    how could it possibly be a money grab? if such a size offers no value, no one will buy it. if people do buy it, it obviously offers value. 
    designr
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Out of all the people that I know with 16GB iPhones (which is the vast majority of people I know) I can only think of 2 that have ever complained about not having enough storage. Both do not own a computer anymore, take 100's of pictures/videos a week, don't subscribe to Apple Music, and have decent size media libraries on their phones. They are a perfect example of someone that should of spent $100 more for a phone with a larger capacity. For everyone else they are perfectly happy with the amount of storage the base 16gb provides. 

Personally I have a 64gb because I listen to Audiobooks all the time and have a tendency to keep most of my vast collection on my phone at the same time. I also believe get the most because $200 now is considerably cheaper then buying a larger one out of contract in 6 months because I am out of space 
  • Reply 14 of 28
    sog35 said:
    Fall 2016

iPhone7+  $750
    iPhone7  $650
    iPhone6s+ $650
    iPhone6s $550
    iPhone SE $550
    iPhone6 $450
    iPhone5s $350 (select countries)

Spring 2017

iPhone 7SE $550
    iPhone SE $450

Fall 2017

iPhone7s+ $750
    iPhone7s $650
    iPhone7+ $650
    iPhone7 $550
    iPhone 7SE $550
    iPhone SE $450
    iPhone 6s $450
    iPhone 6 $350 (select countries)

incredibly powerful lineup the next 2 years. Apple will absolutely dominate the $350-$1000 market

Great list. Seems pretty likely, for the most part, and an excellent strategy. I wouldn't count out an iPhone Pro ($850) and iPhone Pro + ($950) in the spring/fall of 2017 either. As more people get on the Upgrade Plan (as I will soon be), higher prices are going to be a lot less intimidating (a lot easier to justify a jump from $30 to $40 than $700 to $900).
  • Reply 15 of 28
    sog35 said:

Yeah many people can't afford the higher storage capacity devices because 2016. 
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    I’ve always gone with the smallest capacity iPhone available, never regretted it. All my photos go to Instagram, don’t listen to a lot of music on the go. 

I am going to break that tradition in two weeks, though… this is going to sound a bit crazy, but with all the cop violence going on around here, I don’t want to risk seeing something and not having enough capacity to film it. 
  • Reply 17 of 28

sog35 said:
    So you want to force people who don't need 32GB to buy a 32GB phone?  You are not making any sense.

Its obvious that many people like 16GB phones.  I only use 11GB on my 64GB 6+.

Just because it does not fit YOUR LIFE does not mean it fits others.

And if Apple increases the first tier to 32GB it will cost customers more one way or the other.

If you have special needs then just shell out the $100. I mean seriously.  If you want the best you need to pay more.  And with Apple's strong stance against the FBI, I'm more convinced then ever to stick with Apple products.

Personally I've never heard of anyone choosing an Android phone over an iPhone because the Android had 32GB storage vs 16GB on iPhone. And getting the 64GB phone cost literally pennies a day over 2 years. It cost $4 a month to have 64GB vs 16GB.  That's less than a coffee from starbucks.  If $4 a month is going to kill you then maybe you should buy a $99 Android phone instead.
    Yawn.. I do however think Apple cares if you can't afford a good phone. 
  • Reply 18 of 28
    sog35 said:

Unless they're wanting to hide all their data from the snooping government.  Best way right now is to just keep it all on device, and for that you need more storage.  And you're right, this isn't 1995, but that doesn't mean there are not reasons to want more storage.  (Privacy, no wifi, spotty cell network?)
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    sog35 said:
    Spring 2017

iPhone 7SE $550

Great list. Seems pretty likely, for the most part, and an excellent strategy. I wouldn't count out an iPhone Pro ($850) and iPhone Pro + ($950) in the spring/fall of 2017 either. As more people get on the Upgrade Plan (as I will soon be), higher prices are going to be a lot less intimidating (a lot easier to justify a jump from $30 to $40 than $700 to $900).
    I got a nickel that says the SE won't be refreshed until 2018 (with 7S specs), probably with a name like iPhone SE 2. Apple seems to think that (comparatively) low-end devices like the iPod Touch and iPad Mini appeal to consumers who are ambivalent about performance and the latest hotness. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 20 of 28
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    designr said:
    sog35 said:

I have 16GB (as do my wife and daughter) and it's just fine.

I may or may not be the typical user. I don't really do tons of photos and videos. I also already have more music and podcasts stored on the phone than I actually listen to.

Apps. My son has a 16GB iPad , and he has no music, nor photos, and only a handful of apps. He's constantly playing musical apps. Temporarily deleting some to get new ones, then deleting those to put the old ones back on. The iPhone/iPad are supposed to be post PC devices but as long as they're crippled by these storage limits the post PC era will never come to fruition.