In a roadblock for Apple Pay, only 1 in 5 US retailers are using their chip card readers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2016
A new survey has found the vast majority of U.S. retailers with EMV chip-card-compatible credit card readers aren't using that functionality, presenting a major hurdle for acceptance of tap-to-pay services like Apple Pay.

EMV-capable credit card readers are now in use at about 5 million merchants in the U.S., following last October's soft deadline imposed by credit card companies. But only about 1 million of them have enabled the systems to start accepting chip-and-signature, according to MarketWatch.

Banks and credit card companies encouraged adoption of EMV readers by requiring merchants who haven't switched to cover the costs of fraudulent transactions. But hiccups with software compatibility have resulted in most hardware units not actually accepting EMV chips.

The bottleneck likely has an effect on adoption of Apple Pay, which can only be accepted at NFC-compatible payment terminals. While the EMV switch gave merchants an opportunity to upgrade to credit card readers that accept both NFC tap-to-pay and EMV chip cards, the lack of adoption of EMV means that other features of the new terminals, like NFC, are not enabled either.

Put simply, Apple Pay requires EMV compatibility to work. Therefore a terminal without EMV capabilities enabled cannot accept Apple Pay.

With traditional credit cards, the EMV standard depends upon a small embedded chip to authorize transactions, rather than reading data from the magnetic strip. Apple Pay, on the other hand, handles the EMV verification directly on an iPhone or Apple Watch.

Last month, Apple announced that Apple Pay was accepted at more than 2 million locations around the world --?a milestone crossed before the service expanded into China. It's also available in the U.S., U.K., Canada, and Australia.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    I don't buy that.  I have used ApplePay at several merchants (e.g. Harris Teeter) where the chip cards were still disabled, but where I could use NFC.  So it doesn't seem that EMV is required for ApplePay to work.
    stompy
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Then get the frickin Canadian banks signed up already! American Express support just doesn't cut it up here in bacon and maple syrup land eh. ALL of our retailers up here in The Great White North have EMV chip reading machines so if you want widespread use, you should have started here. Dammit! If I want to use Apple Pay when I go buy my hockeystick, chainsaw, real beer or moose saddle please and thank-you, I should be able to........sigh.......sorry
    ration al
  • Reply 3 of 31
    The Chip Card Readers are slow.  Even mine through Square.com, fast compared to most others, is slow.  When you are in a hurry it is an issue. 15-20 seconds times 100 customers, back-to-back is a lot of wasted time!  We use it but we have had to change procedures. Start filling the order before the customer gets the card back.
    baconstang
  • Reply 4 of 31
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    I come across a lot of retailers that still use the swiper with the chip-reader not working.  It's actually frustrating.  I don't blame the folks at the checkout-stand as it's not their fault.  I just wished the stores would get their act together and be done with it.  Even with them covering the costs of the transaction, it still doesn't seem to motivate them to get more current.

Where I do use ApplePay, it works great.  It's big moment for me is when it becomes standard at gas stations.  I'm so looking forward to that!

• Reply 5 of 31
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    My liquor store of choice, upon receiving their new NFC-enabled terminals, briefly accepted Apple Pay, but hadn't enable the EMV readers at the time. Since then, the NFC capability has been disabled, and there are now lovely pieces of cardboard Scotch taped over the EMV reader slots. So, the statistic cited in the article doesn't surprise me one bit. As for Apple Pay requiring EMV compatibility to work, my personal experience seems to suggest otherwise. 
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 6 of 31
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    The US sucks ; simple as that.
    So, what happens now; they're assuming all liability for fraud?
    Seems it must not be a problem for most of them then.

• Reply 7 of 31
    mark notz said:
    The Chip Card Readers are slow.  Even mine through Square.com, fast compared to most others, is slow.  When you are in a hurry it is an issue. 15-20 seconds times 100 customers, back-to-back is a lot of wasted time!  We use it but we have had to change procedures. Start filling the order before the customer gets the card back.
    Considering most of the rest of the world is living with chip readers, I think it's more a question of perception than anything.
    chiaration al
  • Reply 8 of 31

Last month, Apple announced that Apple Pay was accepted at more than 2 million locations around the world --?a milestone crossed before the service expanded into China. It's also available in the U.S., U.K., Canada, and Australia
    I really don't know why the USA is so slow to adopt this. In other parts of thr world, this has been in use for years and virtually no one uses a signature on CC payments. I can't remember the last time (outside of the USA) that I've had to sign on a CC transaction.

Personally, I have rejected my issuers attempts to get me to use an NFC enabled card. That's because I did have my identiy stolen. That means Apple Pay is great for me.

Then there are the problems on using out of state cards at some gas stations in the US. Visitors don't have US Zip Codes.
    Come USA get with it (please).

chiaration al
  • Reply 9 of 31
    tjwolf said:
    I don't buy that.  I have used ApplePay at several merchants (e.g. Harris Teeter) where the chip cards were still disabled, but where I could use NFC.  So it doesn't seem that EMV is required for ApplePay to work.
    rob55 said:
    As for Apple Pay requiring EMV compatibility to work, my personal experience seems to suggest otherwise. 

"Apple Pay conforms to the latest EMV standards for tokenizing transactions, which leads to a more secure payment experience. With the EMV shift, merchants should update their terminals to support the latest software, which should also include NFC (near field communication), so you can accept Apple Pay and other contactless transactions." -- https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205645

Just because the reader is disabled doesn't mean that the terminal, the merchant's backend, and the processor are not running EMV.
    chia
  • Reply 10 of 31
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    I'm starting to refuse to shop at places that haven't enabled their chip readers. Watch the following video on just how easy it is for identity thieves to install a card skimmer....

http://gizmodo.com/it-takes-these-brazen-thieves-just-seconds-to-install-a-1765447063
  • Reply 11 of 31
    A small retailer in Florida is suing the credit card companies over this: http://www.courthousenews.com/2016/03/10/small-businesses-take-on-visa-mastercard-amex.htm

Apparently, businesses have to go through a certification process before using EMV. I assume that once they get certified by whomever (read the article for details about), they can enable Apple Pay. 

The chain in Florida is saying that the processors are dragging their feet to continue to shift liability away from themselves and onto retailers.

Seems pretty shady. 
  • Reply 12 of 31
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Dammit! If I want to use Apple Pay when I go buy my hockeystick, chainsaw, real beer or moose saddle please and thank-you, I should be able to........sigh.......sorry
    HE-Double Hockey Sticks   :# 
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Interestingly, the Fresh Thyme Market that just opened takes Apple Pay but is not using the chip.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Couple of points.
    1. Having an EMV chip reader is not required for NFC to be activated. They are mutually exclusive. You can have an older terminal with NFC which works fine with my phone.
    2. You can have a newer terminal with NFC deactivated. This is generally what I find at merchants that don't accept NFC payments of any type.
    3. I have used my iPhone at merchants where NFC is enabled even though they don't advertise support for Apple Pay, per se.
    4. A CSR at Apple told me that a store can still require a PIN with Apple Pay. Their decision whether to require a PIN or not and they can set the transaction level to require a PIN.

Side note, I hate the new chip readers, regardless of the improved security. They are slower and inconvenient. Standing there with my wallet in my hand for the whole transaction while waiting for the machine to let me take the card out slows everything down. For example, at a self-checkout register, I used to swipe my card, put it back in my wallet immediately, grab my bags wait for the receipt and go. Now the whole transaction takes almost twice as long. This whole chip and PIN mess feels like the transition to supplemental restraint systems in cars decades ago. We had to live with a few years of clunky automatically retracting seatbelts before we got to the cleaner airbag solution. In this case paying with a tap of the phone is the airbag.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 15 of 31
    mike1 said:
    Couple of points.
    1. Having an EMV chip reader is not required for NFC to be activated. They are mutually exclusive. You can have an older terminal with NFC which works fine with my phone.
    2. You can have a newer terminal with NFC deactivated. This is generally what I find at merchants that don't accept NFC payments of any type.
    3. I have used my iPhone at merchants where NFC is enabled even though they don't advertise support for Apple Pay, per se.

The Apple Pay transaction itself takes place via contactless EMV; if the terminal and the merchant's processor don't support EMV, Apple Pay will not work. NFC is just a transit protocol. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205645 for more info.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    foggyhill said:
    mark notz said:
    Considering most of the rest of the world is living with chip readers, I think it's more a question of perception than anything.
    It's not perception. Chip card readers are slower compared to swiping your card. A swipe is instant. Chip card readers take longer to read the chip, then you have to enter your pin, and finally your transaction is complete. They are slower all over the world compared to using swipe. I know since I travel around the world all the time. Having said that, I still think it's good we are finally switching over to chip card readers because they are way more secure. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 17 of 31
    I think there is a larger underlying issue here. When you use your club card, let's say, at a grocery store...they match the club card data to the credit card. Stores sell that info to third party companies (likely the companies that run these club card programs to offset the cost). 

With Apple Pay there is no credit card swipe data to match the club card info to. So, stores don't want to enable it even though they have the technology. 
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Then there are the problems on using out of state cards at some gas stations in the US. Visitors don't have US Zip Codes.
    Come USA get with it (please).

Many fuel dispensers in the USA (for sure in Hawaii, apparently elsewhere in the USA as well) accept the numbers-only from the postal code of a Canadian billing address followed by two zeros. It may work for other foreign postal codes too.

So, if your Canadian billing address is H2W 1L2, you would enter '21200'. Where the '212' are the numbers from the postal code, and the '00' is padding to get to 5 digits.

• Reply 19 of 31
    I really don't understand what is going on in the US. Here in antediluvian London Applepay or NFC works virtually instantaneously- as fast as your phone receives the NFC handshake and you press the appropriate digit to the phone's home button the transaction is done, 2, 3 seconds max? Similarly, chip and pin works as fast as you can key in your pin. Chip and sign? What on earth is the point of that? A stolen card is no more secure than a magnetic stripe card. And as for magnetic stripes, they are disappearing off many cards and most places won't accept a signed transaction anyway. Time to get with the 20 century! I just wonder what is the underlying reason for this not being rolled out faster. Who gains?
  • Reply 20 of 31
    foggyhill said:
    It's not perception. Chip card readers are slower compared to swiping your card. A swipe is instant. Chip card readers take longer to read the chip, then you have to enter your pin, and finally your transaction is complete. They are slower all over the world compared to using swipe. I know since I travel around the world all the time. Having said that, I still think it's good we are finally switching over to chip card readers because they are way more secure. 
    People all over the world have made their peace with the Security vs speed tradeoff, why not people in the US.
    Also, for big purchases in he US you have to sign, so the whole speed advantage goes away.
    When the back-end is fast and terminals new, like at many McD, around  here the difference between sliding and chip is near zero.
    ration al