Sony intros all-in-one VAIO W

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
MacInTouch has a <a href="http://finance.lycos.com/home/news/story.asp?story=28974264"; target="_blank">link </a>to a Lycos news story about a new All-In-One computer from Sony; the VAIO W.

They seem to have pre-announced this thing with no update at their website. I can't find a picture of this thing.

Has anyone seen it? What do you think? Is it a Flat-Panel iMac killer?

Hey, look at that. A little more searching and I found some <a href="http://nbinside.com/etc_note/vaiow.htm"; target="_blank">good pictures</a>. Most of the text is in Japanese.

Note the wide-aspect display!

[ 10-07-2002: Message edited by: clonenode ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    God that thing looks like complete ass. And its specs aren't anything to write home about either. I didn't see a price, but it's a sony, so it'll be pricy.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Poor keyboard design, small screen/big bezel = blech. The Gateway's design is much better. That's a very poor design, basically a fat, oddly proportioned laptop that you can't transport. Yay A bit of a brain fart from the boys at Sony.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>God that thing looks like complete ass. And its specs aren't anything to write home about either. I didn't see a price, but it's a sony, so it'll be pricy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm, I thought the things that a Mac user should complain about is 1) spec and 2) price ???
  • Reply 4 of 8
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    though i will say when these came out in japan over 3 months ago i could not understand the form factor nor the marketing niche that these would appeal to wthin japan,i gravitate to these models every time i am in a sony shop.

some things that arent apparent until you see these for real:

-the screen is beautiful. clear, crisp, saturated colours

-the models actually being sold in japan have tv tuners built in. these machines are built for watching 4:3 ratio dvds and hi resolution television programming

-(and the most important sony is about to come out with VoIP phone and software to work on these machines.

the next, next, generation of these machines will replace the land line phone in japanese homes. always on, when someone emails you, the email will appear on the screen. if someone is phoning you from a video phone, their face will appear.

dont think of these as useless. sony is still well ahead of apple when it comes to household digital appliances.

thnx
  • Reply 5 of 8
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    you mean this sh!te?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    yes, this is the one.

i hear that they will be sold in iceland in about 20 years from now.

thnx
  • Reply 7 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The Japanese produce of lot of techno fetish crap and this machine is a great example. It's styled without being designed, ultimately pointless. Clock radio? Video phone? T.V.? VoIP? Nothing that couldn't go into a far better AIO design, like the iMac's. There's just no defence for that shape and that keyboard. None. Space? If space is at such a premium that it requires that layout, then a laptop is a far better choice. The only thing Sony have managed to do is fuse the worst aspects of laptops and desktops into an expensive unit with poor specifications. WOW, Iceland will be lucky to keep it out of their stores for the next 20 years.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>The Japanese produce of lot of techno fetish crap and this machine is a great example. It's styled without being designed, ultimately pointless. Clock radio? Video phone? T.V.? VoIP? Nothing that couldn't go into a far better AIO design, like the iMac's. There's just no defence for that shape and that keyboard. None. Space? If space is at such a premium that it requires that layout, then a laptop is a far better choice. The only thing Sony have managed to do is fuse the worst aspects of laptops and desktops into an expensive unit with poor specifications. WOW, Iceland will be lucky to keep it out of their stores for the next 20 years.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This wierd thingy also better not come to my country.....