New 'iPhone SE' cases suggest design nearly identical to iPhone 5s

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2016
New pre-release cases for Apple's rumored 4-inch "iPhone SE" may imply that device will be virtually identical to the iPhone 5s, in spite of a recent case suggesting design tweaks more akin to the 6s.

Bumper and shield cases produced by X-Doria align properly with the buttons, ports, and dimensions of the iPhone 5s, according to a YouTube video from MobileFunTV. Both are in full retail packages labeled as being for the "iPhone 5se," a name once rumored but now likely inaccurate.

A similarly-labeled Chinese case received by Unbox Therapy hinted at repositioned buttons, and hence a modified chassis, perhaps with iPhone 6-style curved screen edges.

The discrepancy may indicate that one or both of the casemakers are wrong about the new phone's final design. Case makers have been known to bet --?and lose --?on rumored Apple designs prior to a product's official unveiling.

Internally the device is expected to feature an A8 or A9 processor, Apple Pay support, and an upgraded camera potentially capable of 4K video. This would offer an upgrade path for 5s owners who want a low-cost iPhone, and/or a smaller model than the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 or 6s.

The product should be unveiled at an Apple press event on Monday, alongside a new 9.7-inch iPad and more Apple Watch bands.

Apple's event kicks off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern next Monday. AppleInsider will be there live with full coverage and hands-on impressions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    A lot of factories in China are going to lose a lot of money on this.
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 12
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    If the SE is all Apple has up its sleeve for next Monday, it will not be the biggest event. Anticipation isn't high anyway. And I'm not asking for a game changer. Maybe just some great computer updates – and for example some clear up in the MacBook Air vs MacBook comparison. For the non AppleInsider, this is rather confusing.
    asdasdcash907censoredanantksundaram
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    The product should be unveiled at an Apple press event on Monday, alongside a new 9.7-inch iPad and more Apple Watch bands.

Ugh. This event truly needs to have "one more thing" desperately.
    cash907censoredanantksundaram
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    True. What with Samsung's S7 not being half-bad and eating up a lot of positive press, if Monday's announcement is tepid at best, then you know what the pundits and analysts will be doing to Apple's stock and public storyline. If Apple doesn't cure cancer by EOD Monday, watch out.
    cash907censoredanantksundaramcornchip
  • Reply 5 of 12
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    bdkennedy said:
    Oh they just relabeled some old 5/5S cases as SE cases in a PR stunt/bet on no change.
    coolfactorcornchip
  • Reply 6 of 12
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    the sound you hear is Jonathan Ive snoring in the corner on his rocking chair. Afternoon nap.

He'll wake wake up soon and say "Make it like the 5S, thats my genius!". They'll hand him some tea ( milk after, one spoon), pat his head and say " Shoosh now Johnny, you've said that after your naps for the last few months, and we are doing it. Have some digestive biscuits"
    edited March 2016 cash907censored
  • Reply 7 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    When will you stop thinking that case samples are indicative of what the phone will be. They are GUESSING and they have multiple guesses ready, one of which will to go into production when the phone is announced. That's the way that business works.
    nolamacguycoolfactor
  • Reply 8 of 12
    mac_128 said:

Right? Honestly I just want them to announce Macbook updates so I can finally replace my aging 15". A new iPad Pro would be noteworthy, but watch bands? They honestly think they need an event for that?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    srice said:
    bdkennedy said:
    Oh they just relabeled some old 5/5S cases as SE cases in a PR stunt/bet on no change.
    mike1 said:
    When will you stop thinking that case samples are indicative of what the phone will be. They are GUESSING and they have multiple guesses ready, one of which will to go into production when the phone is announced. That's the way that business works.

Yes, I think these are shots in the dark. Why would they put a *sticker* on the packaging? Those are totally 5s cases being used in this stunt.... unless Apple thinks the 5s form factor deserves several more years of life. I'd actually be in favour of that.... changing the form causes a LOT of waste in the marketplace as cases and accessories are tossed in the trash.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    mac_128 said:

Apple Car?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:
    Right? Honestly I just want them to announce Macbook updates so I can finally replace my aging 15". A new iPad Pro would be noteworthy, but watch bands? They honestly think they need an event for that?
    The cynic in me says Apple is ONLY doing this event to showcase the Watch bands. Now in addition to hardware keynotes, they have to have "fashion shows". But since they're a tech company, they have to throw in some tech items, assuming they're not going to upgrade the watch itself. 

Otherwise, all these things are just tech they've already introduced. It's not even like introducing an iPad mini, which could be argued was just a miniaturized iPad -- at least it was something we hadn't seen before. 

fallenjt may have an interesting point in mentioning the Apple Car. If Apple needs to start road trials this year, and have to get public regulatory approval, then maybe they do need to hold an event to announce it publicly. Perhaps they've reached the point where they can no longer keep it under wraps and rather than risk leaks, they'd rather showcase it. That certainly fits with the "loop" metaphor.
    cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 12
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Maybe that's just a 5s case. Nothing to see here