Why Apple is announcing a new 4-inch 'iPhone SE' in March

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    paxman said:
    If the SE includes significantly better battery life and a larger screen (by way of home button removal) then I will upgrade from my 5S as I definitely prefer the pocket-sized, more bend-resistant 5 design over the 6's.
    I doubt if the screen will be 'significantly' bigger. I'd have thought it more likely the phone be shorter if it comes without the home button. If the home button is removed (I doubt it) and the screen size increased you are talking new aspect ration and I find that possibility unlikely. But as far as battery life it must be significantly better than the 5s which absolutely sucks. Since the 9 upgrade I have seen significant battery loss. The phone kept cutting out at any temperature below -5c (ish), so I had it replaced by Apple recently. Apart from the fact that it no longer cuts out the battery life still stinks.
    The fact you've had a new phone and the battery lift is still poor, shows that it's your usage, not the phone itself. 

Dont expect the new phone to improve battery life if you're going to drive your car 100mph and moan when it runs out of petrol
    6Sgoldfishbaconstangmcarlingnolamacguy
  • Reply 22 of 52
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    If the SE includes significantly better battery life and a larger screen (by way of home button removal) then I will upgrade from my 5S as I definitely prefer the pocket-sized, more bend-resistant 5 design over the 6's.
    Never expect the home button removed. If it's not a physical button, it's on screen and Apple still reserve the screen portion blocked out as a bezel for the home button. Apple patented the iPhone design with symmetrical bezels. 
  • Reply 23 of 52
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    paxman said:
    I doubt if the screen will be 'significantly' bigger. I'd have thought it more likely the phone be shorter if it comes without the home button. If the home button is removed (I doubt it) and the screen size increased you are talking new aspect ration and I find that possibility unlikely. But as far as battery life it must be significantly better than the 5s which absolutely sucks. Since the 9 upgrade I have seen significant battery loss. The phone kept cutting out at any temperature below -5c (ish), so I had it replaced by Apple recently. Apart from the fact that it no longer cuts out the battery life still stinks.
    Not sure 9 would stink, got IOS 9 on a Ipad 2 and battery life is actually better than 7 or 8. The 5S has a more recent SOC so it should do much better. Maybe you're just using it more intensely than when you got it, which seems to be a pattern with most smart phones. Look at all your settings too, both for Apps and the OS (each upgrades people complain of battery life and most times its one or the other).

baconstangnolamacguy
  • Reply 24 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    jannl said:
    ireland said:
    Since the day I've owned my iPhone 6 I found it too big.
    That's it, Ireland. Perfect iPhone but in my daily routine to big. Eagerly waiting for a smaller iPhone.
    Everyone thought I was nuts to suggest that phones have become too large.
    irelandbaconstangchuck1252pscooter63tallest skil
  • Reply 25 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I wouldn't be so sure that apple would use the 6S internals in th iPhone SE. With added Apple Pay, Touch ID, and the processor and camera from the iPhone 6, the phone would better fit the profile of a $499-$549 phone.  It would then be an adequate replacement for the 5c and 5s, and an alternative to those who don't like the 4.7 inch screen size of the 6 series. But to put the A9 chip and 12 megapixel camera 
    The internals don't have a significant impact on price, especially if they recycle parts already in production into a new device. The cost of a processor for example is largely determined by its area and the process it is built upon. Once a camera is in production production costs aren't too dissimilar to the previous models. What will be significant is if the rumors about the iPhone 7 and the suggestion of bleeding edge technology. If the dual lens camera is a reality and the new wafer stacking technology is implemented for the processor we could actually see an iPhone where parts are in fact more expensive relative to the previous generation.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    tmay said:
    levi said:
    They haven't 'given up' on 3D Touch. It's probably a cost or engineering decision. That was the implication with not including in the pro (engineering challenges) besides the fact that 3D Touch is ideal for smaller screens. Patents suggest they'll introduce a multi touch 3D display at some point, and incorporate into the home button. I suspect 3D Touch will also be apart the move to get rid of the home button all together.

Your friend has made some interesting choices - early adopter of new type of high end phone, but using for several years past its useful lifespan. I'm sure it still does the basics, but I imagine app and web use are garbage. 
    I could have used better language than "given up" when I just meant that it would be a feature that wouldn't make it into the SE.

I have an iPad Pro, so 3D Touch is a feature that will have to wait, but it isn't a feature benefit on the same level as the pencil. Of note, I would expect a shorter pencil in the future, as pencil support is incorporated into the iPad Mini format.

She has three daughters and a son with current iPhones, and a husband with the iPhone 5, almost all of whom are on her plan, so maybe the SE will get her to look at a current iPhone, but my guess will be she will push for 10 years of use, so 2017 looks like the year. She also has a 2005 Prius that is around 250K miles, runs like a top. Might be a pattern there.

UPDATE:
    I was just talking to her, and her carrier, AT&T, will no longer support 2G after Dec 31 of this year, so definitely a new iPhone this year.

Yeah, wondered about the network issue too. Sounds well deserving of an upgrade 
  • Reply 27 of 52
    ireland said:
    Since the day I've owned my iPhone 6 I found it too big.
    Agreed, I have a Note 4 and before that I had a 5c and I miss having a smaller sized screen.
    irelandbaconstangmcarling
  • Reply 28 of 52
    I think having Apple Pay (and the NFC transponder can probably be used for other tap and pay services as well) on a 4" phone is huge. The way I view phone sizes (although I sometimes change my viewpoint weekly!) is that 4" is ideal for messenger apps (Line, iMessage) and communicating (old fashioned phone call, FaceTime, Skype, Hangouts, Line/Viber/etc. voice and video); 4.7" is better for watching YouTube than 4"; and 5.5" is better for web browsing, since you can migrate, for the first time, from mobile site view to full desktop view (albeit with some eyestrain). 4.7" is the "Goldilocks size" because it's not whompingly bigger than the 4" but still offers 1080p/50fps on YouTube - the smallest iPhone that can handle true 1080p (the 5 series is slightly less than 1080p). It's also more pocketable. For my personal use, I carry a 5s as a phone, but use a Nexus 6p as a portable tablet - powered by Fi, it's very cheap to own a second line.
    OkinawaSUP
  • Reply 29 of 52
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Granted,  on the MacBook Pro side of things they kind of broke the once-a-year update cycle such that - unless you know for sure that a major update is coming - any time is a good time to buy a MacBook Pro. 
    So it might be part of a strategy to discourage people from waiting for the next major release and just buy what's currently on the market.
    Apple never had a once-a-year update cycle for their Macs (many years we got updates Twice in a year), and the delays for the current MBP are clearly due to Skylake. ARM, and especially their A-series chips, have given them a lot more control over their release cycles.
    baconstangpscooter63nolamacguy
  • Reply 30 of 52
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    wizard69 said:
    jannl said:
    That's it, Ireland. Perfect iPhone but in my daily routine to big. Eagerly waiting for a smaller iPhone.
    Everyone thought I was nuts to suggest that phones have become too large.
    I would agree about phones but the iPhone I carry is much more than just a phone. It's my mobile computer and it fits in my pocket. If all you want is a phone, then I suggest getting a cheap flip phone and not worry about everything else.
    6Sgoldfishnolamacguy
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Could be that Apple will drop the 6 when the SE launches.  We bought several 128GB 6 on launch day and have been less than pleased with the performance. 

- Problems with freezing;
    - Bluetooth drop in and out (even when initiating a call, when the called answers, Bluetooth drops even though it shows connected - this has even been a major disappointment for my mom who bought very expensive MFi hearing aids and had to impair them because of signal instability);
    - chassis bending;
    - random reboots;
    - safari freezing;
    - etc. 

i chalk these here drivability issues up to the phone having too little RAM and the demands of realtime decryption. 

My my guess is that Apple realizes an SE with last years' specs would get a bad rep as well as be functionally obsolete at launch. 
  • Reply 32 of 52
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I've been saying it for over a year, but for those who don't know, I believe a smaller "c" iPhone released mid-cycle(March) would disrupt the competition and give them no air to breathe. Year round iPhone hype.

We are in the non-iPhone hype season(February-May). 6 months after an iPhone releases the copy cats get to show off their new phones and talk about how much better they are than the iPhone(Sammy S7). A new iPhone this month would generate a ton of money for Apple and steal hype from the iKnockoffs.
    baconstang
  • Reply 33 of 52
    subbiessubbies Posts: 71member
    "Entirely new phone model"  Said as if it's a new design. 
  • Reply 34 of 52
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    subbies said:
    "Entirely new phone model"  Said as if it's a new design. 
    How is not a new design?
    nolamacguypscooter63
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Let's do some calculations: 3 sizes of iPhones, updating each on an 18 month rotating schedule would make one iPhone update every 6 months? iPhone SE (special edition at 4") starting 4/2016. Perhaps the iPhone Plus (the current 4.5" model) updating 6 months later (Oct 2016) in time for holiday gift giving. Then the iPhone Pro (~5.5" model with stylus support?) upgraded 4/2017, then the SE upgraded again for Oct 2017, and on and on.

Better than trying to get everything done for multiple phones at the same time.

3 phones, 3 base colors (plus Product RED?), 3 upgrades per year, 3 engineering teams with 1 'overlord' to direct design, software and features. 

Would be interesting to see how something like this would pan out.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Could be that Apple will drop the 6 when the SE launches.  We bought several 128GB 6 on launch day and have been less than pleased with the performance. 

- Problems with freezing;
    - Bluetooth drop in and out (even when initiating a call, when the called answers, Bluetooth drops even though it shows connected - this has even been a major disappointment for my mom who bought very expensive MFi hearing aids and had to impair them because of signal instability);
    - chassis bending;
    - random reboots;
    - safari freezing;
    - etc. 

i chalk these here drivability issues up to the phone having too little RAM and the demands of realtime decryption. 

My my guess is that Apple realizes an SE with last years' specs would get a bad rep as well as be functionally obsolete at launch. 
    Give me a fracking break bud, don't believe you're really getting those issues except in your mind.

"Realtime" (ric) decryption has been occurring since 3GS bud, so find me some other lame analysis.

Funny how 250M+ Iphone 6 have been sold and we barely hear nay of those so called god damn issues.
    They're not dropping 6 because there is no fracking issues,like every other time little whiners have used their little violins to play tiny whiny songs about nothing.

baconstangnolamacguy
  • Reply 37 of 52
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    In the bad old days Apple intentionally down-clocked or limited the bus speed or other features of low-end Macintoshes out of fear the professional market wouldn't buy the premium machine. Now Apple is well run enough that they don't have to worry about cannibalizing themselves. It's nice to see this lower-end iPhone is going to be virtually full powered.
    baconstang
  • Reply 38 of 52
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    Why? Do I even have to read this? Because they left the market and went to 5 and 6 inch. Why? Cause they still want that 4 inch market!! :P MONEY...
    6Sgoldfishdasanman69
  • Reply 39 of 52
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Let's do some calculations: 3 sizes of iPhones, updating each on an 18 month rotating schedule would make one iPhone update every 6 months? iPhone SE (special edition at 4") starting 4/2016. Perhaps the iPhone Plus (the current 4.5" model) updating 6 months later (Oct 2016) in time for holiday gift giving. Then the iPhone Pro (~5.5" model with stylus support?) upgraded 4/2017, then the SE upgraded again for Oct 2017, and on and on.

Better than trying to get everything done for multiple phones at the same time.

3 phones, 3 base colors (plus Product RED?), 3 upgrades per year, 3 engineering teams with 1 'overlord' to direct design, software and features. 

Would be interesting to see how something like this would pan out.
    Really? You know better than Apple? iPhone design is mature. Shortening the redesign cycle from 24-18 months is killing resources and make no financial sense. Currently, the  new design and "S" model cycles make most sense. 
  • Reply 40 of 52
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    NemWan said:
    In the bad old days Apple intentionally down-clocked or limited the bus speed or other features of low-end Macintoshes out of fear the professional market wouldn't buy the premium machine. Now Apple is well run enough that they don't have to worry about cannibalizing themselves. It's nice to see this lower-end iPhone is going to be virtually full powered.
    You say that as if Apple has released a Mac that has the power if a desktop IE not an iMac but not the need of a workstation IE Mac Pro. The closest parralel is the 13" MBP. Its not an all out 15" but not a consumer oriented macbook. A desktop i7 and a desktop GTX 970 would be a good combination. And then maybe a new cinema display to go with it. It already supports 5k @ 60Hz so why not.
    edited March 2016