What to expect from Apple's 'let us loop you in' event today

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    This event is being held at the small audiorium on Apple's campus. If they were planning to announce redesigned Macs in addition to new iPad and iPhone I think the event would have been held at a larger place. My guess is Apple is only having an event because they now know going 8-9 months without one is a bad idea. Being in front of the public 3-4 times a year is better.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    reiszrie said:
    Although I understand the utility of having an ultrabook that can do more when "docked" I don't think its very applicable for Macs in general, owing to the lack of games on OSX to take advantage of a discrete external GPU. 

Good thing we have boot camp then. The Division runs awesome on my iMac in Windows 10 under bootcamp. I'm fine with OSX sucking when it comes to games as long as Apple continues to support alternatives like that, which so far it has done a great job of doing. 

What framerates/settings are you running at?
  • Reply 43 of 83
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    dewme said:
    I'm hoping to see some progress around getting Siri on the OSX platform with both near-field and far-field voice/sound recognition so it can support use cases similar to those seen with Amazon Echo. Having Siri on the iPhone, Apple Watch, and Apple TV but missing on the MacBook, iMac, Mac Pro, and Mac Mini products now seems like an unintended omission. 

Some possible desktop Siri scenarios:

1) "Siri, I'm going to lunch now" would cause Siri to lock my Mac and invoke the screen saver.  
    2) "Siri, I'm back" would stop the screen saver and give me a login prompt - but only for my voice.
    3) "Siri, next slide" would go to the next page in a Keynote presentation, even when invoked from across the room. Same thing for previous, explicit slide number, etc.
    4) Voice integration with iPhone to initiate phone calls from your Mac - "Siri, call Tim Cook on his iPhone"
    5) Voice integration with Calendar, Mail, Messages, Notifications, XCode, Photos, etc.

"Siri, what are my top 3 notifications for today?"
    "Siri, did Tim Cook respond to the email I sent him last Saturday?"
    "Siri, please print a hard copy of my last monthly status report for Project Excalibur." 
    "Siri, remind me again, when exactly is my wedding anniversary."
    "Siri, download and install all of the latest App updates to my iPad Air after I go to bed tonight"
    "Siri, disable all notifications until further notice" (Siri would then periodically remind you that notifications are still off)
    "Siri, I'm traveling to Seattle on Thursday, what should I pack?" (Siri would respond - "An umbrella" along with weather related info and remind you to bring your passport.
    "Siri, bring XCode to the top on my primary monitor" and "move Excel to the left half of my second monitor"
    "Siri, do a full build of Project Excalibur at midnight tonight and send the build results to my iPhone"  
    You are thinking the next version of OS X will be announced and demoed on Monday?
  • Reply 44 of 83
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    Blaster said:
    appex said:
    Bring a true real Mac tablet.
    Apple can't do that because they would appear to be backtracking on their whole "refrigerator wth toaster" argument against full OS X on touchscreens -- not to mention all the Apple cheerleaders who would also have to change their story in order to remain lock-step with Apple.  So instead of touchscreen iMacs and MacBooks, Apple decides to start propping up the iPad to make it look like a laptop which happens to have a touchscreen.  It reminds me of Mac haters who proclaim they will never buy a Mac, but then they go and buy PC laptops which look like obvious imitations of Mac laptops.  And then they install Apple desktop backgrounds on those PC laptops, and install GUI skins on top of Windows to look like OS X.
    Once an Apple product line is introduced, updates are evolutionary and not revolutionary. Apple will slowly evolve iOS (iPhone / iPad) to become more capable. At the same time OS X will evolve to interact better with iOS and look more like iOS. We can imagine that some day Apple will converge iOS and OS X but they are in no hurry to do so in the foreseeable future.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 45 of 83
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    Soli said:

You are thinking the next version of OS X will be announced and demoed on Monday?
    No, because I don't see the addition of Siri support to OS X to be worthy of a whole new version, just a mid-cycle refresh.  Apple needs to have greater focus around bringing common and cross-product line capabilities to its ecosystem outside the scope of new product announcements. They need to be more than just a fancy widget company, which they already are with the App Store, iTunes, iCloud, and Apple Music. But all of those things don't get the attention of a new iGadget. An iGadget rooted capability like Siri working its way into the ho hum desktop and system capability layer can only help bring the ecosystem into clearer focus. 
  • Reply 46 of 83
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    knowitall said:

"Specifically, Apple's MacBook Pro and 12-inch MacBook lineups are both due for upgrades to Apples latest-generation A10 processors. New Macs are likely to make the leap to Apples A10 too, which boosts CPU speeds by up to 20 percent, and also increases power efficiency with a huge factor of 5, making possible 35 hours of battery life and a drop in price of $300 or more ..."

There, fixed that for you.
    Lol no. Cute, but no. There is zero evidence of OSX builds running on anything other than an Intel platform in the wild, and you're not going to see one until the A series is powerful enough to not only run desktop-level apps specifically coded for it, but legacy x86 apps running in a VM environment like Apple had to do after switching from PowerPC to Intel chips via Rosetta. Sorry, but we are nowhere close to that day, Knowitall, and Apple isn't going to risk their hard-earned market share gains by making every piece of software installed on current systems incompatible at launch just to apease the anti-Intel bunch.

Kind of surprised you didn't already "know" that...
    Ha, I do knowitall.
    So, know the argument is that is must be able to run x86 apps.
    Thats a mistake, lots of people have no need for Intel apps and Apple has fat binaries from before eh Apple so Apple can produces el cheapo MacBooks for $600 or less and expensive $1000+ versions with abysmal performance for people who don't get it.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    macapfel said:
    What about Software? Really, what about solving the iTunes mess, making a more streamlined store front for all the different stores. Bring back some important features to iWork products, increase functionality of Photos – and make iCloud a real Dropbox competitor. There is a lot to do in the software arena. What makes Apple great is that they do both, hard- and software. So, please, start talking about software again!
    Software is difficult, I get the feeling that Apple doesn't have the stamina for certain apps, maybe because of 'political' reasons maybe also because lots of programmers get to work elsewhere (might be within Apple) and newcomers start (the mistakes) all over again.
  • Reply 48 of 83
    knowitall said:
    Lol no. Cute, but no. There is zero evidence of OSX builds running on anything other than an Intel platform in the wild, and you're not going to see one until the A series is powerful enough to not only run desktop-level apps specifically coded for it, but legacy x86 apps running in a VM environment like Apple had to do after switching from PowerPC to Intel chips via Rosetta. Sorry, but we are nowhere close to that day, Knowitall, and Apple isn't going to risk their hard-earned market share gains by making every piece of software installed on current systems incompatible at launch just to apease the anti-Intel bunch.

Ha, I do knowitall.
    Thats a mistake, lots of people have no need for Intel apps and Apple has fat binaries from before eh Apple so Apple can produces el cheapo MacBooks for $600 or less and expensive $1000+ versions with abysmal performance for people who don't get it.
    Some people aren't going to get it. Some think that ARM will need to be faster than all the Macs Apple has on the market, allow for a Rosetta option, and even argue that it would make the VMs and Boot Camp nonfunctional. These are all foolish concepts to a solution that allows Apple to enter into a new, low-end of the PC market and allow for fat-binaries. They also don't see the advantages Apple has now over their PowerPC to Intel switch by 1) having an App Store in place, 2) selling many times more Macs per quarter than back in 2006, 3) the number of users a low-end, ARM-based notebook PC opens up for Apple and 3rd-party developers, 4) what kind of apps low-end users need, and 5) and Apple's continued, excellent work with their IDE SW.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    AI2xxx said:
    This is where the Surface Pro 4 has it’s appeal, it’s still running Windows…
    Okay, you don’t seem to know what the word ‘appeal’ means.
    dewme said:
    No, because I don't see the addition of Siri support to OS X to be worthy of a whole new version, just a mid-cycle refresh.
    Apple hasn’t added a feature to OS X outside a 10.x release since 10.6.6 brought the Mac App Store. I sincerely doubt they’re going to actually just give us Siri without restricting it to 10.12-compatible machines.

Which I’m afraid my Mac Pro won’t be because “buy a new one already.”
    AI2xxx said:
    Another important thing is that newer API's such as DX12 take load off of the CPU and will be able to utilize the internal GPU and the external GPU for additional performance:
    DirectX 12 is literally nothing more than a gimmick to get people onto the Windows 10 botnet. Nothing is or will be using it for years.
    edited March 2016 pscooter63nolamacguy
  • Reply 50 of 83
    AI2xxxAI2xxx Posts: 38member
    Okay, you don’t seem to know what the word ‘appeal’ means.

"a quality that causes people to like someone or something"

DirectX 12 is literally nothing more than a gimmick to get people onto the Windows 10 botnet. Nothing is or will be using it for years.
    I post facts and numbers. DX12 is not a gimmick. It's also not "years" away.

edited March 2016
  • Reply 51 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    AI2xxx said:
    "a quality that causes people to like someone or something”
    And yet… Windows.
    I post facts and numbers. DX12 is not a gimmick. It's also not "years" away.
    I’ll wait. We’ll see how it goes.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 52 of 83
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    knowitall said:

Ha, I do knowitall.
    I don't think they'd make an ARM Macbook cheaper than a 12" iPad Pro at $799 with 4GB RAM and 32GB storage. If you go to 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, the price would be within $300 of the x86 model. The 4GB/128GB iPad Pro is $949, the 8GB/256GB Macbook is $1299. It could still offer a compelling discount over x86 but there's another option they could use to hit a lower price point which is an upgrade program like the iPhone program. They can sell Macs on an upgrade program over 2 years. Typically Macs depreciate around 25% YoY, it varies depending on the model. The people on the upgrade program would pay up to around half the value of the Mac over 1-2 years and then upgrade. They would upgrade to the new model and Apple refurbs it if needed and sells it on for the remainder with 1 year warranty only.

Buyer 1 on the upgrade program buys a Macbook at $1299, they pay $700 over 2 years = $29/month. Apple takes it back after 2 years, they get a brand new Macbook (or adjusted monthly for a different model) and keep paying that way or they can keep paying it off but would be no longer eligible to upgrade. If Apple takes it back, they refurb it and sell it standalone for $700 with 1 year warranty. That's what the 2 year old laptop is worth. They make $1400 overall, same or more than if the original buyer had paid upfront and kept it. The prices might have to be higher or timeframes different but that's the rough idea.

Every year they get about 20-25 million new Mac sales, they might get 10 million on the upgrade program and so in 2 years, they would be able to sell another 20-25 million plus 10 million to a lower price point. While there is the risk that offering older Macs could diminish new sales, they are supply-limited by the new sales and as the iPhones have shown, most people prefer the newer iPhones vs an older model. There is another risk that they could be stuck with old stock but the restrictions to 1-2 years will limit this and they only have 5-10% PC marketshare worldwide so there's enough demand to ship every unit they have in stock.
  • Reply 53 of 83
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    seking said:
    "Let us loop you in."? OK, so Apple is building a Hyperloop.
    Well there no loop references in the rumored program so hyper loops it is. 
  • Reply 54 of 83
    Soli said:
    knowitall said:
    Ha, I do knowitall.
    Some people aren't going to get it. Some think that ARM will need to be faster than all the Macs Apple has on the market, allow for a Rosetta option, and even argue that it would make the VMs and Boot Camp nonfunctional. These are all foolish concepts to a solution that allows Apple to enter into a new, low-end of the PC market and allow for fat-binaries. They also don't see the advantages Apple has now over their PowerPC to Intel switch by 1) having an App Store in place, 2) selling many times more Macs per quarter than back in 2006, 3) the number of users a low-end, ARM-based notebook PC opens up for Apple and 3rd-party developers, 4) what kind of apps low-end users need, and 5) and Apple's continued, excellent work with their IDE SW.
    Windows RT, anyone?
  • Reply 55 of 83
    Blaster said:
    Soli said:
    Windows RT, anyone?
    1) Who is using WinRT these days? Even MS dropped the ARM-based Surface tablets.

2) I'm open to the idea, but I do think it's doubtful Apple will add HW for virtual environments to their ARM design and add Bootcamp support for Windows RT or various *nix options. Their best move is to keep it simple for the basic user.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    Soli said:
    Blaster said:
    Windows RT, anyone?
    1) Who is using WinRT these days? Even MS dropped the ARM-based Surface tablets.
    Thanks for making my point for me.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 57 of 83
    Blaster said:
    Soli said:
    You do realize Apple has sold over 1 billion devices running OS X, right? MS' problem wasn't ARM, it was an inferior OS for the ARM HW. We already know Apple doesn't have this issue.
  • Reply 58 of 83
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    apple ][ said:
    I know! Don't you hate it when Apple forces you at gunpoint to keep staring at your screen??1?

I hate that so much!
    So unless somebody has a gun pointed to their head, they're not allowed to voice an opinion on something?

If we are to apply that same logic to the post event complaining that is guaranteed to come, then nobody in the world has a right to complain about anything that Apple does or releases.
    It's a bit different complaining about the substantive content of the purpose of the show and complaining about the outtro. 

If people don't want to watch and hear music, then don't watch and hear music; turn it off and do something else.  Not hard.

edited March 2016
  • Reply 59 of 83
    Soli said:
    Blaster said:
    You do realize Apple has sold over 1 billion devices running OS X, right? MS' problem wasn't ARM, it was an inferior OS for the ARM HW. We already know Apple doesn't have this issue.
    And billions more devices running Windows have been sold.  Your point?
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 60 of 83
    Blaster said:
    Soli said:
    And billions more devices running Windows have been sold.  Your point?
    1) Those are running on x86, not on ARM. Apple has proven itself with rewriting OS X for ARM.

2) Your issue, is you have this ridiculous notion that a desktop OS has to run x86 or it can't run at all. That's foolish on multiple levels, especially in 2016 when Apple's A-series performance outstrip that of cheap Windows notebooks.
    nolamacguy