US Supreme Court to tackle money owed in Apple v. Samsung patent fight

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2016
The U.S. Supreme Court will hear a Samsung appeal in the legal battle over how much it owes Apple for infringing iPhone patents, it was revealed on Monday.

The nation's highest court issued a written order saying they would review a lower court's ruling that Samsung must pay Apple millions of dollars for patent infringement, as noted by The Wall Street Journal. The decision is a win for Samsung, which had appealed to the Supreme Court in hopes of reducing its damages.

Apple had hoped the Supreme Court would not review the case. In its own filings, it argued that the lower court had appropriately assessed fines against Samsung for its infringing products. The company went as far as calling the case "legally unexceptional."

In question is a $548 million patent infringement settlement that Samsung was slapped with. Samsung formally appealed that decision in December of last year. The ongoing legal battle first began five years ago before the settlement was reached.

For its part, Samsung has argued that modern devices like smartphones are not dependent on design for their functionality. According to Samsung, electronic devices "contain countless other features that give them remarkable functionality wholly unrelated to their design."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Is Obama's judge already in place? ;-) I'm not fully up-to-date...
  • Reply 2 of 35
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Didn't they just deny reviewing the ebook case Apple was asking for a review of? So, they are clearly anti-Apple all of a sudden. I wonder why that might be?

mwhitepalominejbdragonjony0brakken
  • Reply 3 of 35
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    The US Gov't currently hates Apple.  I wouldn't be surprised if Apple ends up owing Samsung for "creating a design which would knowingly be copied".
    mwhiterob53ai46palominechabigjbdragonjony0latifbpbrakken
  • Reply 4 of 35
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    This is highly suspicious in my view.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 35
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    "wholly unrelated to design"

The problem is Samsung was caught copying the "look and feel" of the iPhone off of a literal roadmap of Apple UI, but the laws are weak on trade dress and design. Even though I believe that Apple has an "identity" that Samsung has attempted to copy, in hardware, software, Ui, even advertising, the SC will probably come down on existing precedent.

Why did Samsung copy the "look and feel"? Because it gave them an advantage in the Android market. The only punishment they will receive is a continued decline in smartphone profits.

The market has taken care of this, not the legal system, but it doesn't change my opinion of Samsung as blatant copiers, not just of Apple, but other leaders in consumer products.
    jahbladeration alfotoformatjbdragonjony0brakken
  • Reply 6 of 35
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    jannl said:
    No and I doubt it will happen until after the elections unless he chooses a conservative. Otherwise his choice will not be approved by Congress.
    JanNLjbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 35
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    tmay said:

The problem is Samsung was caught copying the "look and feel" of the iPhone off of a literal roadmap of Apple UI, but the laws are weak on trade dress and design. Even though I believe that Apple has an "identity" that Samsung has attempted to copy, in hardware, software, Ui, even advertising, the SC will probably come down on existing precedent.

Why did Samsung copy the "look and feel"? Because it gave them an advantage in the Android market. The only punishment they will receive is a continued decline in smartphone profits.

The market has taken care of this, not the legal system, but it doesn't change my opinion of Samsung as blatant copiers, not just of Apple, but other leaders in consumer products.
    Exactly.. they coped Sony into the ground when it came to AV (TV's, sound systems, etc).. Appliances they have copied crazy GE and LG.. This is far from the first market that Samsung has gone copy crazy.. just the first time they've been held accountable for it..
    jahbladeration aljbdragonjony0brakken
  • Reply 8 of 35

genovelle said:
    Didn't they just deny reviewing the ebook case Apple was asking for a review of? So, they are clearly anti-Apple all of a sudden. I wonder why that might be?

The US government, all branches, is upset with Apple because Apple has more power than the government does (in their puny minds). South Korea and Samsung have their lobbyists and I'm sure they're stuffing the pockets of every politician and judge in the US. Apple's documented lobbyist contributions (payoffs) are minuscule to that of other companies so they just don't get the support of anyone in the government. With the stupid FBI issue going on, it doesn't surprise me that the Supreme Court will hear anything against Apple. I also see the obvious left coast bias against Apple. Apple doesn't play by the old white-man's rules, which are required if you want to do business in DC. Am I being rude, yes. Am I wrong, don't think so.
    jbdragonjony0
  • Reply 9 of 35
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Samsung has made billions in profit by copying the iPhone in both hardware and software. They should owe Apple $54.8 billion but instead each new verdict and appeal are reducing amounts to zero.
    jbdragonjony0brakken
  • Reply 10 of 35
    adrayven said:
    tmay said:

Exactly.. they coped Sony into the ground when it came to AV (TV's, sound systems, etc).. Appliances they have copied crazy GE and LG.. This is far from the first market that Samsung has gone copy crazy.. just the first time they've been held accountable for it..
    The only way to make Samsung pay is to not buy their products. Yes, Apple still buys parts from them but Samsung makes a lot of money on TVs, washers and dryers, refrigerators, DVD players, and a host of other garbage. You have options to these products from other vendors so buy those instead of Samsung stuff. It upsets me that Costco and Best Buy (and a host of others) show Samsung products prominently. You know Samsung is paying for prime advertising and retail space. Boycott their products and they will ultimately lose. Keep buying them while complaining about the corrupt judicial and government system and they still win.

disclaimer: I bought a crappy Samsung TV a few years ago. I can't change until it finally dies because I paid too much for it. Other than that, there isn't a Samsung device in my house.
    jahbladejbdragonlatifbpbrakken
  • Reply 11 of 35
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    rob53 said:
    jannl said:
    No and I doubt it will happen until after the elections unless he chooses a conservative. Otherwise his choice will not be approved by Congress.
    Aha,thanks! Crossed my mind seeing this coming review by SC.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 12 of 35
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    rob53 said:
    adrayven said:
    The only way to make Samsung pay is to not buy their products. Yes, Apple still buys parts from them but Samsung makes a lot of money on TVs, washers and dryers, refrigerators, DVD players, and a host of other garbage. You have options to these products from other vendors so buy those instead of Samsung stuff. It upsets me that Costco and Best Buy (and a host of others) show Samsung products prominently. You know Samsung is paying for prime advertising and retail space. Boycott their products and they will ultimately lose. Keep buying them while complaining about the corrupt judicial and government system and they still win.

disclaimer: I bought a crappy Samsung TV a few years ago. I can't change until it finally dies because I paid too much for it. Other than that, there isn't a Samsung device in my house.
    I bought a Samsung television for my parents maybe a decade ago, but since then, all of that has the LG logo on it.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 13 of 35
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Irony of American legal system mentality to screw your own and support outsiders. This same supreme court declined to hear e-book case and now taking interest in verdict that jury already delivered. Do you think FBI,Obama administration,legal system all behind covert, combined attack on it's own admired company out of their ego to prove they are right and Apple needs to bend down against civil liberty and privacy ? Looks that way.
    rob53palominejony0
  • Reply 14 of 35
    I will not be surprised to see the Supreme Court rule against Apple for this case. With the DOJ and FBI solidly against Apple, an honest review of this case will not be given. I expect a decision to be made and announced in less than 30 days. 
    rob53palominejony0
  • Reply 15 of 35
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Its a good thing that our election system, rights of privacy, funding of education, the death penalty, and civil and religious rights, are now so clearly understood that the court finds this issue important to clarify for us or I'd be pissed.
    palomineceek74jony0brakken
  • Reply 16 of 35
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I see Apple Watch band replicas all over the place. Sport bands that look exactly like Apple's (though I'm sure not as good materials wise). How do companies get away with that? Disgusting.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    SCOTUS currently shifts a bit to the left. They hate business so we'll see where this goes. 
  • Reply 18 of 35
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rob53 said:

genovelle said:

The US government, all branches, is upset with Apple because Apple has more power than the government does (in their puny minds). South Korea and Samsung have their lobbyists and I'm sure they're stuffing the pockets of every politician and judge in the US. Apple's documented lobbyist contributions (payoffs) are minuscule to that of other companies so they just don't get the support of anyone in the government. With the stupid FBI issue going on, it doesn't surprise me that the Supreme Court will hear anything against Apple. I also see the obvious left coast bias against Apple. Apple doesn't play by the old white-man's rules, which are required if you want to do business in DC. Am I being rude, yes. Am I wrong, don't think so.
    I think you mean the right coast bias against Apple. But Sen. Feinstein is an exception.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 19 of 35
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    I will not be surprised to see the Supreme Court rule against Apple for this case. With the DOJ and FBI solidly against Apple, an honest review of this case will not be given. I expect a decision to be made and announced in less than 30 days. 
    Yep. This is how the government is going to get Apple to play ball. They will put the screws to them at every turn until Apple either greases the political wheels or falls in line. I expect the damages overturned and soon. 
  • Reply 20 of 35
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

jungmark said:
    SCOTUS currently shifts a bit to the left. They hate business so we'll see where this goes. 
    Who is "they" in your second sentence? If you mean liberals on the Court, give some examples of decisions showing hatred of business.

If you mean anyone on the left, remember that Apple itself is on the left, and it could not be more pro-business.
    singularity