Apple announces 4" iPhone SE with A9 CPU, same design as iPhone 5s, starting at $399

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2016
Calling it the most powerful 4-inch phone ever, Apple on Monday officially announced the iPhone SE, a refresh for its smallest form factor, giving it the latest-generation 64-bit A9 processor and 12-megapixel iSight camera.

The iPhone SE features the same matte chamfered edges found on the iPhone 5s. But inside it's been vastly upgraded, including all of the camera improvements already found in the iPhone 6s, such as Focus Pixels, True Tone flash, and panorama capabilities up to 63 megapixels. In addition, users can capture HD video with support for 4K at a resolution of 3,840-by-2,160 pixels.

The real star of the show, though, is the A9 processor, which doubles the performance of the A7 chip found in the iPhone 5s. The embedded M9 motion coprocessor allows for longer battery life, always-listening "Hey Siri" functionality and a variety of fitness tracking capabilities.

"iPhone SE is an exciting new idea -- we started with a beloved, iconic design and reinvented it from the inside out. The result is the most beautiful and powerful phone with a four-inch display in the world," said Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller. "iPhone SE is packed with a stunning four-inch Retina display, advanced 64-bit A9 chip with M9 motion co-processor, longer battery life, 12-megapixel iSight camera with True Tone flash, Live Photos, 4K video, faster LTE and Wi-Fi, and Touch ID with Apple Pay. Everyone who wants a smaller phone is going to love iPhone SE."

The iPhone SE also includes support for Apple Pay, with a dedicated NFC chip, secure element and integrated Touch ID home button.

Finally, Apple's newest iPhone includes more LTE bands than iPhone 5s for wider international cellular compatibility, as well as Voice over LTE and Wi-Fi calling where enabled.

The iPhone SE will cost just $399 for 16 gigabytes, making it the cheapest new iPhone Apple has sold. A 64-gigabyte model will run $499.

Preorders will start this Thursday, March 24, ahead of a launch date next week on March 31. It will be in more than 100 countries by the end of May, and comes in a new rose gold color, matching the rest of Apple's lineup.
cincymac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Shame they stuck with the ancient iPhone 5 look, but my wife won’t care.

The specs are what really matters and it is not neutered and priced to sell so will be ordering as soon as available.

asdasd6Sgoldfishchuck1252
  • Reply 2 of 101
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Now where are the ones who keep saying Apple are all for profits and they won't sell it cheap. No way for $350 / $399 iPhone? 

All the the dislikes and hate have been pointing to those who said this price range is possible..... 
    Sir_Turkeyronnpscooter63chiacnocbui
  • Reply 3 of 101
    So it's basically a 6S in a 5S shell – with all the same features *except* for the 3D-Touch?

(I for one love the 5S form factor and am glad they're keeping it around :)
    baconstangpscooter63chiacnocbuijony0ration aluraharachuck1252
  • Reply 4 of 101
    $399?

Apple just dropped a thermonuclear bomb on the smartphone world. That's a serious amount of power in a phone that price. 
    cincymacbaconstangchiapscooter63jony0ration alchuck1252
  • Reply 5 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 said:
    holy crap. 

$399 is an insain cheap price for a phone with 6s internals.

I thought Apple would never do something like this? 
  • Reply 6 of 101
    $499.00 for 64GB!  No 128GB storage!  Rumor is that the SE only has 1GB of the old LPDDR3 which is 9 year old RAM.
    mac_128roger wade
  • Reply 7 of 101
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    super cheap; but would have preferred a full on 4" 6S for $550
  • Reply 8 of 101
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Really!! This is awesome for everyone who want to upgrade from iphone 4S/5/5S. No brainer. Apple did it.Good answer to all those who thought it will $499 for 16GB.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 101
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I will buy one, but I will look forward to the next 4" iPhone with 3D-touch.
  • Reply 10 of 101
    Whoa Dudes and Surfer Girls! $499 for a 64G phone with camera, processor, pay.  This is $300 less than I paid for the 64G 5S nearly 3 years ago.  And ... it will fit my red leather case that by now has the look of Rich Corinthian Leather. Still, keeping my money since the 5S will probably work great for at least another year.
    Sir_Turkeybaconstangzroger73
  • Reply 11 of 101
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ksec said:
    Now where are the ones who keep saying Apple are all for profits and they won't sell it cheap.
    oh, they'll come up with something to bag on... "They should have done it sooner" or "They know iPhone is doomed next quarter" etc..
  • Reply 12 of 101
    If it has 2GB of RAM, I'm getting the 64GB version.  16GB doesn't make sense for me.
    Sir_Turkey
  • Reply 13 of 101
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    sog35 said:
    The $399 price for a BRAND NEW PHONE with specs the same as a 6 month flagship.

Wow.

This is a totally shift in Apple's strategy.

IMO, Apple is trying to maximize user base (while still making good profits) with the SE.  Then Apple will sell more services.  Expect to see Apple release much more services in the next 24 months.
    But weren't you saying the exact opposite? That Apple never go cheap.

ive always thought that some Apple phone will be sold at $299 someday (by Apple I mean not 3rd party). And that it will seriously dent android. This is where it begins. 
    russell wdasanman69baconstang
  • Reply 14 of 101
    I can finally put my work issued 6 into my bag and leave it there, I have been carrying around a 6 and my 5 for about 18 months now since the IT department would not approve my 5 without Touch ID.
  • Reply 15 of 101
    $399?

Apple just dropped a thermonuclear bomb on the smartphone world. That's a serious amount of power in a phone that price. 

Yes and it probably gets hot enough to iron your shirt. 
  • Reply 16 of 101
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    I was honestly expecting a little thinner/rounder… I may have to switch colors just so I’m not staring at the same thing for another two years
  • Reply 17 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 said:
    I thought Apple would never do something like this? 
    very crazy. 

I was way off. I thought it would be $550.

This just tells me that Apple is switching strategy. They are putting more emphasis on increasing user base instead of maximizing profit on each unit sold. Then Apple will sell services to a larger and larger user base. Love it.

Good buy Samsung and any other premium Android brand. Game over.
    Really, you way off? Wonders never cease
    russell wpmzcnocbuisingularity
  • Reply 18 of 101
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    holy crap. 

$399 is an insain cheap price for a phone with 6s internals.

4" whiners have no reason not to order one. If this is not the best 4" phone on the market for the price, I don't know what is.
    pmzbaconstangchiapscooter63
  • Reply 19 of 101
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    $399?

Yes, but 16GB?
  • Reply 20 of 101
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Great product! I went nuts with my last iPhone 6s purchase but this is going to sell like gang busters. This is the perfect phone for the kids who now have hand-me-downs but the parents don't want to chip in several hundred more dollars across two or three new phones for said kids.

I don't care what people want to claim. Apple has to be feeling some pricing pressure. Samsung is leading the race to the bottom with these two for one S7 promotions everywhere. Apple responded in a good manner that can justify margins and helps stop the race to the bottom a bit.