Apple announces 4" iPhone SE with A9 CPU, same design as iPhone 5s, starting at $399

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    $399?

Apple just dropped a thermonuclear bomb on the smartphone world. That's a serious amount of power in a phone that price. 

Yes and it probably gets hot enough to iron your shirt. 
    getting harder to come up with new FUD material, huh?
    ericthehalfbeebaconstangchiapscooter63bancho
  • Reply 22 of 101
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

ksec said:
    Now where are the ones who keep saying Apple are all for profits and they won't sell it cheap. No way for $350 / $399 iPhone? 

All the the dislikes and hate have been pointing to those who said this price range is possible..... 
    It's iPhone 5 chassis, not 6. People have been talking about 4" in iPhone 6 body. Refreshed 5S of course would never sell at $550.
  • Reply 23 of 101
    vision33rvision33r Posts: 213member
    The Nexus 5x costs just $249 last week in a promo with all the features of a flagship, this is likely to compete.  In this game, Apple will get dragged down with lower profits.  
  • Reply 24 of 101
    vision33rvision33r Posts: 213member
    The Nexus 5x costs just $249 last week in a promo with all the features of a flagship, this is likely to compete.  In this game, Apple will get dragged down with lower profits.  
  • Reply 25 of 101
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    What about Touch ID 2??? This is not documented on Apple's tech specs pages for the 6s or the SE, it just says Touch ID in both places.

Touch ID 2 makes a huge difference in user experience. Why no mention?
  • Reply 26 of 101
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    The little green robot is going to need a diaper change STAT!
  • Reply 27 of 101
    sog35 said:
    schlack said:
    super cheap; but would have preferred a full on 4" 6S for $550
    it is. besides no touch ID.

don't think they could fit 3D touch on such a small phone.
    It fits in the watch
    chiacnocbui
  • Reply 28 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    fallenjt said:
    sog35 said:
    holy crap. 

$399 is an insain cheap price for a phone with 6s internals.

4" whiners have no reason not to order one. If this is not the best 4" phone on the market for the price, I don't know what is.
    How many 4" phones are currently on the market? Any that exist are absolute garbage, and quite easy to best. 
  • Reply 29 of 101
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,292member
    ksec said:
    Now where are the ones who keep saying Apple are all for profits and they won't sell it cheap. No way for $350 / $399 iPhone? 

All the the dislikes and hate have been pointing to those who said this price range is possible..... 
    I was thinking that a $250 iPhone 5s would make sense for emerging markets, but I hadn't expected a price this low on an iPhone with such cutting edge components. 

I'm guessing Apple has concluded that screen size is enough of a product differentiator to avoid cannibalizing higher margin phones with a low priced SE. That's probably right. 

• Reply 30 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    blastdoor said:
    ksec said:

I was thinking that a $250 iPhone 5s would make sense for emerging markets, but I hadn't expected a price this low on an iPhone with such cutting edge components. 

I'm guessing Apple has concluded that screen size is enough of a product differentiator to avoid cannibalizing higher margin phones with a low priced SE. That's probably right. 

How is what's wrong for Android, right for Apple/iOS? 
  • Reply 31 of 101
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Everyone complaining about no 3D Touch in this phone...where exactly would the Taptic Engine go and provide a big enough battery to get the same or better battery life than the 5S?
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 32 of 101

Mmm ...

The iPhone and iPad announcements were interesting in several ways:

• New entry models with lower prices and [mostly] equal or greater features/specs
    • Approximately 4-6 months after last major announcements
    • Non-incremental naming scheme

It may reflect a new manufacturing and marketing strategy:

• Product Families instead of Release Versions
    • End of biennial Tick/Tock product cycles
    • More flexibility to buyer with product upgrade cycles
    • Apple becomes a more agile competitor in the overall marketplace
    • Attract and retain additional customers
    • Added stability to company performance and growth

This could change everything!

I wonder what will be the names of the next iPhones and iPads???

edited March 2016 baconstangration al
  • Reply 33 of 101
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    chelin74 said:
    sog35 said:

It fits in the watch
    The Apple Watch is also thicker than the iPhone 6S.
    nolamacguyration al
  • Reply 34 of 101
    mcarling said:
    I will buy one, but I will look forward to the next 4" iPhone with 3D-touch.
    It will never happen.  There is no room for the necessary hardware.
  • Reply 35 of 101
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

ksec said:

It's iPhone 5 chassis, not 6. People have been talking about 4" in iPhone 6 body. Refreshed 5S of course would never sell at $550.
  • Reply 36 of 101
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    $499.00 for 64GB!  No 128GB storage!  Rumor is that the SE only has 1GB of the old LPDDR3 which is 9 year old RAM.
    This is the only truly disappointing thing for me -- the lack of 128GB storage. Considering the prices, that might cause a little bit of cannibalization. I'm actually stunned that they offered it in Rose Gold too, which makes the lack of a 128GB option all the more stinging. I'm not as concerned that it will only have 1GB RAM, since I'm hard pressed to understand how that will truly limit me on such a small phone.

I'm also disappointed that the design wasn't updated a little bit, as I find the 5s somewhat uncomfortable in my hand. But I'm OK with this. Maybe I'll go with a white face this time!

• Reply 37 of 101
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    sog35 said:
    schlack said:
    super cheap; but would have preferred a full on 4" 6S for $550

The 4SE and 6S both have Touch ID. What phone are you referring to?
  • Reply 38 of 101
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    If this thing doesn't have 2GB RAM that's a major fail. Especially with Apple wanting users to upgrade to the latest software all the time. iOS 9 requires more than 1GB RAM to run smoothly.
    melodyof1974
  • Reply 39 of 101
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    fallenjt said:

ksec said:

That's just a rubbish excuse for getting it wrong. Admit you were wrong (or say nothing) and move on. 
  • Reply 40 of 101
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    Where's the cure for cancer? APPL = ⬇️
    melodyof1974