Apple announces 4" iPhone SE with A9 CPU, same design as iPhone 5s, starting at $399

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

asdasd said:
    sog35 said:
    The $399 price for a BRAND NEW PHONE with specs the same as a 6 month flagship.

Wow.

This is a totally shift in Apple's strategy.

IMO, Apple is trying to maximize user base (while still making good profits) with the SE.  Then Apple will sell more services.  Expect to see Apple release much more services in the next 24 months.
    But weren't you saying the exact opposite? That Apple never go cheap.

ive always thought that some Apple phone will be sold at $299 someday (by Apple I mean not 3rd party). And that it will seriously dent android. This is where it begins. 
    This is one time revival of 5S buddy. You may see it at $299 a year from now, but don't ever expect to see cheap newer Phone. Why is this so cheap? It's because there's not much R&D involved in the design. It's just a 6 months old gut inside a 3 years old phone. I bet if this is a 4" iPhone 6, it wouldn't be that cheap and I'd stick with the price tag of $550 to start with. I'm glad that Apple keep the 5S design for another 1-2 years which I think the best design so far. This also satisfy the 4" lovers. I can see next year Apple will still keep this phone the same price at $399 with 3-D Touch added and some minor tweaks.
  • Reply 42 of 101
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Apple needs to get away from these confusing product lines. Why are they still selling the 6 and 6 Plus? They should have been killed today. Also why is the iPad mini 4 the same price as the Air 2? And why are they still selling the mini 2?
    melodyof1974jackansichia
  • Reply 43 of 101
    Super disappointed it doesn't have 128GB storage option.  Since it is a 5/5s form factor, they must be saving the 128GB option for iPhone 7.  I will have to think this over before upgrading....if it had 128GB I'd be ordering it first thing Thursday morning.
  • Reply 44 of 101
    vision33r said:
    The Nexus 5x costs just $249 last week in a promo with all the features of a flagship, this is likely to compete.  In this game, Apple will get dragged down with lower profits.  
    wow, $249 with Stagefreight and NSA/FBI Accessible door added for free.
    chiabaconstangbestkeptsecret
  • Reply 45 of 101
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    sog35 said:
    The $399 price for a BRAND NEW PHONE with specs the same as a 6 month flagship.

Wow.

This is a totally shift in Apple's strategy.

IMO, Apple is trying to maximize user base (while still making good profits) with the SE.  Then Apple will sell more services.  Expect to see Apple release much more services in the next 24 months.
    The other thing to note was that 30 million 4 inch iPhones were sold in 2015. Some said there is not much demand for a 4 inch iPhone, There will be even more than 30 million in 2016 with the new price and performance.
    chiaration albaconstang
  • Reply 46 of 101
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    fallenjt said:

asdasd said:
    But weren't you saying the exact opposite? That Apple never go cheap.

ive always thought that some Apple phone will be sold at $299 someday (by Apple I mean not 3rd party). And that it will seriously dent android. This is where it begins. 
    This is one time revival of 5S buddy. You may see it at $299 a year from now, but don't ever expect to see cheap newer Phone. Why is this so cheap? It's because there's not much R&D involved in the design. It's just a 6 months old gut inside a 3 years old phone. I bet if this is a 4" iPhone 6, it wouldn't be that cheap and I'd stick with the price tag of $550 to start with. I'm glad that Apple keep the 5S design for another 1-2 years which I think the best design so far. This also satisfy the 4" lovers. I can see next year Apple will still keep this phone the same price at $399 with 3-D Touch added and some minor tweaks.
    Give up. Apple had no need to do this event unless they were going to do a 4" model every year. They now have two models. And two release dates. And a price differential that they will keep. 

• Reply 47 of 101
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Apple needs to get away from these confusing product lines. Why are they still selling the 6 and 6 Plus? They should have been killed today. Also why is the iPad mini 4 the same price as the Air 2? And why are they still selling the mini 2?
    It's a price umbrella.  The iPhone is hardly confusing. This year's model and a + model, and last year's. Both large. And now a 4" model   . 

The ipad pad is a bit all over the place alright. 
    nolamacguybaconstang
  • Reply 48 of 101

fallenjt said:
    4" whiners have no reason not to order one. If this is not the best 4" phone on the market for the price, I don't know what is.
    How many 4" phones are currently on the market? Any that exist are absolute garbage, and quite easy to best. 
    Nitpicking dude. You need to be politically correct huh? Ok, it's the bet 4" IPHONE by far. satisfy?
  • Reply 49 of 101

sog35 said:
    This pricing is leading me to believe that we may get a 4 inch iPhone7 in September

iPhone 7+  $750
    iPhone 7  $650
    iPhone 7m $650 (4 inch)
    iPhone 6s+ $650
    iPhone 6s $550
    iPhone 6 $450
    iPhone SE $399

what a killer line up.
    There will be no such iPhone 7m. You're still dreaming. Apple will be killing themselves for making a 4" iPhone 7 and selling 4" kickass iPhone SE at the same time for the half price. You now just went back to you non-sense as usual. 
    edited March 2016 jackansisingularity
  • Reply 50 of 101

pmz said:
    What about Touch ID 2??? This is not documented on Apple's tech specs pages for the 6s or the SE, it just says Touch ID in both places.

Touch ID 2 makes a huge difference in user experience. Why no mention?
    maybe it's still Touch ID 1, the same one in iPhone 6.
  • Reply 51 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    fallenjt said:

ksec said:
    Now where are the ones who keep saying Apple are all for profits and they won't sell it cheap. No way for $350 / $399 iPhone? 

All the the dislikes and hate have been pointing to those who said this price range is possible..... 
    It's iPhone 5 chassis, not 6. People have been talking about 4" in iPhone 6 body. Refreshed 5S of course would never sell at $550.
    So now it's just a refresh but whenever someone calls an s model a refresh they get pummeled down with 'it's a totally different phone, only the shell is the same'. I'm quite enjoying all the back pedaling, and tune changing that's going on today. 
    asdasd
  • Reply 52 of 101
    mcarling said:
    I will buy one, but I will look forward to the next 4" iPhone with 3D-touch.
    It will never happen.  There is no room for the necessary hardware.
    Then make it a little thicker. Big deal! Apple did that for 6S, why not SE2 next year?
    Sir_Turkey
  • Reply 53 of 101
    asdasd said:
    fallenjt said:

Give up. Apple had no need to do this event unless they were going to do a 4" model every year. They now have two models. And two release dates. And a price differential that they will keep. 

Check again, it's at least 5 models 
  • Reply 54 of 101
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    sog35 said:
    fallenjt said:
    Then make it a little thicker. Big deal! Apple did that for 6S, why not SE2 next year?
    just face it. You were wrong. Now you are trying to blame Apple since they didn't follow 'your plan'
    Funny hearing you say that to someone else ;)
    singularity
  • Reply 55 of 101
    fallenjt said:

sog35 said:
    This pricing is leading me to believe that we may get a 4 inch iPhone7 in September

iPhone 7+  $750
    iPhone 7  $650
    iPhone 7m $650 (4 inch)
    iPhone 6s+ $650
    iPhone 6s $550
    iPhone 6 $450
    iPhone SE $399

what a killer line up.
    There will be no such iPhone 7m. You're still dreaming. Apple will be killing themselves for making a 4" iPhone 7 and selling 4" kickass iPhone SE at the same time for the half price. You now just went back to you non-sense as usual. 
    They obviously left out a 128GB option so that it would create demand for the 4" iPhone 7....
  • Reply 56 of 101

asdasd said:
    fallenjt said:

It's iPhone 5 chassis, not 6. People have been talking about 4" in iPhone 6 body. Refreshed 5S of course would never sell at $550.
    That's just a rubbish excuse for getting it wrong. Admit you were wrong (or say nothing) and move on. 
    I posted it on 9to5Mac when I read the iPhone SE would be in 5S chassis and said that the price wouldn't be at $550. I have been talking about 4" iPhone 6 all along. Anyway, maybe this is new Apple's strategy or just one time deal to boost the sale for the next 2 quarters. I don't see this will be the trend for coming iPhone: selling it cheap.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 57 of 101
    sog35 said:
    uffenman said:
    They obviously left out a 128GB option so that it would create demand for the 4" iPhone 7....
    BINGO.

The low price of $399 and the missing features ( 5 series shell, no 3D touch, no 128GB) makes it obvious that they will make a top tier 4 inch model in Sept.

Another 4" model in 6 months? Another thing you're going to be wrong about. Mark my words. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 58 of 101
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    I had every intention of buying an SE with 128gb today. Huh.
  • Reply 59 of 101
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    sog35 said:

$399?

Apple just dropped a thermonuclear bomb on the smartphone world. That's a serious amount of power in a phone that price. 
    And like usual Wall Street is clueless. The stock has dropped over $1 since the event started. 
    I feel Apple's stock price has held it's level quite well after these announcements.
    There usually is a much larger drop just before an Apple announcement, but it's holding fairly steady.
    It appears Wall St also appreciates the great value of the iPhone SE.
    It's an even greater value outside of the USA,
      where many countries have experienced very increasing iPhone prices with the  much higher USA$.
    My 5C bought last summer now is with it !  <3
  • Reply 60 of 101
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    sog35 said:
    BINGO.

The low price of $399 and the missing features ( 5 series shell, no 3D touch, no 128GB) makes it obvious that they will make a top tier 4 inch model in Sept.

Another 4" model in 6 months? Another thing you're going to be wrong about. Mark my words. 
    Agreed. That's not going to happen.

There's not going to be another 4" iPhone anytime soon. The iPhone 5SE is already better than expected, in regards to power and features, and price.

Those people who wanted a smaller iPhone have gotten their wish.

This fall is going to be all about the iPhone 7. 
    edited March 2016 radarthekat