Graphics cards

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I plan on getting a dual 867 g4 sometime in the next 2-3 months.

originally I was going to get the geforce4 ti 128 meg 400 dollar option Graphics card...then I realized that...too save money and time(if I didn't get this card I could buy the computer straight from an apple retail store) I should get the standard geforce4mx....and upgrade later.

my questions regard the upgrade

the radeon 9000 pro...can you get it third party for the mac?

the radeon 9700 pro...when will it be available for mac?

the radeon 8500 pro...what do you have to say about this card?

the geforce4 ti 4400...for mac?...worth it?

thanks in advance for any insight.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    oh yea....I forgot to mention that although I'm not a big gamer now...if I get a pimp computer capable of running games well...then I will be(I'm not a gamer casue my iMac dvse isn't good enough for warcraft 3)so gaming is in the equation
  • Reply 2 of 6
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    1. Flash a PC version.

2. In the next 6 months hopefully.

3. A very nice all around card. Very nice.

4. Only the 4460 is available, no? Too much $$$, IMHO.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    If I can just sneek in another related question, at what point does the performance of a graphics card become impaired by the main processor? For example, I'd like to upgrade the Radeon 7500 in an 800MHz PowerMac G4 (single processor, no level 3 cache, AGP 4x). Would a Radeon 9700 give a reasonable increase in frame rate for games, or would it be limited by the 800MHz processor? Thanks in advance.

[ 10-08-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I would defenately wait to upgrade your GF4MX. Upgrading to anything less than a Radeon 9700 would be a waste of money, IMO.

A Radeon 8500/9000 Pro is only 20% faster than the card you have now. $150 could be better spent in the future on a card that's 50-100% faster.

The GF4Ti is a good deal faster than the GF4MX, but with the pending release of Radeon 9700 Mac and NV30 on the horizon, you might as well wait.

Expect the Radeon 9700 Mac in December/January and the NV30 to find its way into the next line of PowerMacs. Perhaps Apple will offer an upgrade kit for older machines like yours?

In any case, I'd go with nothing less than a 9700.

Putting a faster graphics card in an old system will always give you better frame rates. Faster CPUs will just give you extra frames. The difference tends to be the greatest at low resolutions and the lowest at high resolutions.

At 1600X1200, at 800MHz system and a Dual 1GHz system will perform simularly. At 640X480, the Dual 1GHz will woop up. Both systems must have the same video card of course.

[ 10-08-2002: Message edited by: Kecksy ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    [quote]Putting a faster graphics card in an old system will always give you better frame rates. Faster CPUs will just give you extra frames. <hr></blockquote>

What the hell is that supposed to mean?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    [quote]Originally posted by macaddict:

<strong>

What the hell is that supposed to mean?</strong><hr></blockquote>

A faster video card will give you more frame rates. However, the slower your CPU is, the less of an improvement you'll see, especially a low resolutions.