Apple offers larger 256GB capacity for both 9.7" & 12.9" iPad Pros

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2016
For the first time ever, Apple's iPad lineup is now available in jumbo-sized storage capacities of 256 gigabytes, for both the 9.7-inch and 12.9-inch form factors.

The iPad Pro lineup is available with 256 gigabytes in the 9.7-inch size for $899. Adding cellular connectivity ups the price to $1,029.

And the 12.9-inch iPad Pro has also been given a new 256-gigabyte storage option starting at $1099. Adding cellular to that model brings in a top-tier price of $1,229.

With the new flagship 9.7-inch model being rebranded as iPad Pro, the iPad Air 2 still remains, but carries a lower $399 entry price for 16 gigabytes of storage. Users can get 64 gigabytes for $499, but the 128-gigabyte iPad Air 2 has been discontinued.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Neil, both of your new iPad pro articles have f'd up capacity and pricing info, unless you're offering as apple insider exclusive pricing!!
  • Reply 2 of 14
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    256 GB is still only about half as much storage as the typical 5 year old PC that Phil suggested it can replace. The iPad Pro with Pencil is amazing and can do so many more things than an old Windows laptop. I guess if you buy some extra iCloud space you don't need as much local storage. I have a 64 GB iPad but it is not even half full because I don't use it very much and I only have the default iCloud storage which also goes mostly unused. I still prefer a full computer. I have the iMac 5K and a 15" rMBP, but the new iPad Pro is tempting. At least it still has a 3.5 mm audio jack.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 3 of 14
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    volcan said:
    256 GB is still only about half as much storage as the typical 5 year old PC that Phil suggested it can replace. The iPad Pro with Pencil is amazing and can do so many more things than an old Windows laptop. I guess if you buy some extra iCloud space you don't need as much local storage. I have a 64 GB iPad but it is not even half full because I don't use it very much and I only have the default iCloud storage which also goes mostly unused. I still prefer a full computer. I have the iMac 5K and a 15" rMBP, but the new iPad Pro is tempting. At least it still has a 3.5 mm audio jack.

---

How much space does the OS take up compared to Windows?  How much space for the typical app?
    ration al
  • Reply 4 of 14
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Oh my, the storage increment is quite a markup from the cost of an external SSD.
    To start with the 16GB starting storage for iOS devices is too small, 32GB should be todays minimum.
    Then the cost increment for more storage could be "just a bit" lower, considering SSD costs today !
    schlack
  • Reply 5 of 14
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    PC replacement my ass. 
    schlacktallest skil
  • Reply 6 of 14
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Why is Apple memory (RAM) and SSD twice the price than the very same product from the manufacturar or sites like Amazon?
  • Reply 7 of 14

How much space does the OS take up compared to Windows?  How much space for the typical app?
    Older laptop running Windows 7 uses about 16 GB for the OS where as iOS 9 uses less than 3 GB.

MS Office for iOS is about 5 GB

Windows Office Pro requires 3 GB storage space. Probably less because I would imagine that many features of Windows Office are built right into the OS itself whereas for iPad the entire suite has to be completely self contained.

ration al
  • Reply 8 of 14
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    volcan said:

---

MacOS apps are different from iOS apps. 
  • Reply 9 of 14
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

PC replacement my ass. 
    It really depends on users' intended use. For you, it may not but for others it may. My wife never touched her laptop again since I bought the first iPad. I wouldn't say I can give up my Macbook Pro for iPad Pro because iPad doesn't meet my PC intended use. However, I would give it a trial if the Smart Keyboard comes with Magic Pad integrated. Apple, hear that? Integrate the Magic Pad into Smart Keyboard and many people may drop their Mac.
    edited March 2016 ration al
  • Reply 10 of 14
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    appex said:
    Why is Apple memory (RAM) and SSD twice the price than the very same product from the manufacturar or sites like Amazon?
    They can offer low base prices because they make a disproportionate amount of profit on the upgrades. This allows people to get into an iPhone at $650 for the base model AND allows them to keep up high gross margins that come from the $850 model that only costs them slightly more to build.
    ration al
  • Reply 11 of 14
    fallenjt said:
    However, I would give it a trial if the Smart Keyboard comes with Magic Pad integrated. Apple, hear that? Integrate the Magic Pad into Smart Keyboard and many people may drop their Mac.
    They have an iOS variant of Magic Track Pad built in.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/06/11/first-look-ios-9s-new-cursor-controlling-gesture-keyboard-on-ipad
    edited March 2016 ration al
  • Reply 12 of 14
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    volcan said:
    This "PC" was 4-5 times bigger, did ultra portable laptops of 5 years ago get 500G by default?

"Replacing" depends what you do and how you do it; many of those ultra light laptops had big storage but it was dog slow and despite in theory having a fast CPU/GPU,the actual performance was still slower than the Ipad Pro. That's were Apple controlling the whole stack comes in.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    Finally! This is exactly what I've been waiting for to compel me to upgrade to a Pro.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    schlack said:
    appex said:
    They can offer low base prices because they make a disproportionate amount of profit on the upgrades. This allows people to get into an iPhone at $650 for the base model AND allows them to keep up high gross margins that come from the $850 model that only costs them slightly more to build.
    I do not get it. Apple base products are also much more expensive than similar ones from competitors. And I am also talking about RAM and SSD for Macs. Just go to Apple Store and compare those prices with the ones for the same make/model from Amazon and others. It seems as if Apple just multiplied by 2 or 3 the retail price for them.