First look: New 9.7-inch iPad Pro is Apple's most advanced tablet

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2016
Apple on Monday expanded its iPad Pro lineup with a 9.7-inch model with A9X SoC, Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard support, all-new True Tone screen features and more. AppleInsider was on the scene and offers a hands-on look at the new tablet.

Those familiar with Apple's 12.9-inch iPad Pro will feel right at home with the 9.7-inch version. The smaller slate comes with all the trappings enjoyed by its larger-screened sibling, including built-in support for Apple Pencil and an all-new Smart Keyboard designed specifically for the full-size form factor.

In addition to elements introduced with last year's iPad Pro, the new 9.7-inch model comes with a slew of features not seen on any other Apple device. When SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller presented the device onstage, he touted the innovative True Tone screen system, which samples light from a user's surrounding environment and automatically adjusts screen brightness and color to mimic a "paper-white" viewing experience. The screen itself sports a wider color gamut that reproduces vivid blues and greens without over saturation.

For the first time ever, Apple is including a flash for iPad's rear-facing iSight camera. A True Tone module, the flash is positioned below the protruding lens element, itself a vestige from the iPhone 6.

Everything zips along nicely with Apple's A9X chip, providing ample power for image and video editing, drawing, data crunching, Web browsing and more.

Preorders for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro start on Thursday, with the 32-gigabyte model going for $599, 128-gigabyte model for $699 and a new 256-gigabyte configuration selling for $799. Additionally, Apple is introducing a rose gold color to go along with the usual space grey, gold and silver options.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Yeah, having a device that rocks back and forth due to not being flush on the surface while using the Pencil is brilliant. The one flaw on this thing. 
    AI2xxxjackansi1983mattinozcornchip
  • Reply 2 of 34
    I believe the camera not being flush is a non issue. Most will be using this on lap, with smart keyboard or with a case so this should minimize the issue. It will be an issue for anyone that is going naked with the device on a hard surface.
    patchythepirateration alpscooter63pmz
  • Reply 3 of 34
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    I believe the camera not being flush is a non issue. Most will be using this on lap, with smart keyboard or with a case so this should minimize the issue. It will be an issue for anyone that is going naked with the device on a hard surface.
    Agree. Always had a case on my iPad.
    patchythepirateration aliqatedo
  • Reply 4 of 34
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    What time on Thursday? Midnight CA time?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Battery life?!

Compared to last 9.7" version and also compared to iPad Pro 12"? I know it'll be shorter than the bigger unit, but by how much?
    jackansi
  • Reply 6 of 34
    AI2xxxAI2xxx Posts: 38member
    sog35 said:
    Yeah, having a device that rocks back and forth due to not being flush on the surface while using the Pencil is brilliant. The one flaw on this thing. 
    its called having a case
    You shouldn't be required to have a case to mend a flaw with the device.
    mvigodjackansithewhitefalcon1983mattinoz
  • Reply 7 of 34
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    AI2xxx said:
    sog35 said:
    its called having a case
    You shouldn't be required to have a case to mend a flaw with the device.
    I wouldn't characterize a change due to a performance/feature upgrade as a flaw. Also, we don't know that this has any barring on use/performance of the pencil - i suspect none. Lastly, Apple knows the number of cases it sells, without the camera bump. I suspect it applies to most users buying higher end iPads and iPhones.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 8 of 34
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    mike1 said:
    Agree. Always had a case on my iPad.
    Right. "Just don't hold it that way."

I don't want a case. I don't want a smart keyboard. It is too much to ask for a drawing tablet to lay flat on a table and not wiggle? This is a huge error. Betcha  we see a Surface ad shortly highlighting this.
    king editor the grate1983
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Oi. Still using my iPad 3rd generation. Never had a case. Well, I guess as long as I don't place this on my wood dining-room table, the protrusion won't be too cumbersome.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    You know I already have an iPhone 6S Plus that wobbles in the current Apple dock because it's not in a case. If the new iPad is also going to wobble because it's not in a case then I'm going to chuck a serious wobbly.

This is blatant case-ism.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    Don't like the embedded Apple SIM card.  AT&T will lock the SIM card.  Also don't know if the embedded Apple SIM card can be used Internationally.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A protruding camera ring on iPad's now too, this bit of bad design seems to be popping up in Apple products everywhere now...I can understand that due to current technological limitations they can't install a camera of that spec on products of this thinness without it. But its still an inelegant and messy solution IMO. As for this iPad itself, that True Tone screen system seems like a great idea, and wasn't something I was expecting...the only surprise in this so-so keynote then.
    edited March 2016 king editor the grate
  • Reply 13 of 34
    mdjgclmdjgcl Posts: 1member
    macseeker said:
    Don't like the embedded Apple SIM card.  AT&T will lock the SIM card.  Also don't know if the embedded Apple SIM card can be used Internationally.
    The online material in Apple store says all ipad pros are sold unlocked and the when travelling internationally you can pop in a nano SIM for the country you are in.  Works for me!
    stevehration al
  • Reply 14 of 34
    mdjgcl said:
    macseeker said:
    The online material in Apple store says all ipad pros are sold unlocked and the when travelling internationally you can pop in a nano SIM for the country you are in.  Works for me!
    I got read more into this then.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    This iPad is pretty much a great upgrade to the iPad Air 2. Almost everything you would expect, except maybe also getting force touch. I don't regard the protruding camera as much of an issue as the cases will deal with it, and in that case the protuderance probably helps avoid that occasional problem where a shift in the case obscures a bit of the picture.

Here's the real problem though . Something Wall Street has noticed. Wall Street has been banging on about Apple's  iPhone dependency for some time now. That might not be fair, but that is how it is. So what does Apple do about it to change that perception?

It delivers a great iPhone at an attractive price. It will sell tonnes of them. At the same time, Apple delivers an incremental upgrade to the ipad air 2.  It slaps a 'pro' moniker on it, and then increases price 20 per cent.

A 20 per cent price increase! 20 per cent will solve the problem of declining iPad sales and iPad revenue! 

This says a lot about Apple today. I suspect Apple is quite comfortable with iPhone dependency, and this approach to iPad signals its intentions, not only about not worrying about iPhone dependency, but the future of iPad. It is prepared to take a continued drop in sales in its flagship models, hopefully because in return they expect higher margins, although if I was to be negative about it, it could be they don't care about iPad sales that much and just want to milk it while they can. Good luck with that.

Meanwhile, where are the new updated with already widely adopted current technology laptops?
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 16 of 34
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I just used my iPhone 6 Plus without a case and guess what? No wiggle-wobble. It actually wobbles more in my case. It's funny how three points of contact works.
    patchythepiratepscooter63Rayz2016
  • Reply 17 of 34
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    jkichline said:
    I just used my iPhone 6 Plus without a case and guess what? No wiggle-wobble. It actually wobbles more in my case. It's funny how three points of contact works.
    Did you use it as a drawing tablet?
  • Reply 18 of 34
    jkichline said:
    Just took my 6 out and it wobbles. Your phone is probably bent. ;)
  • Reply 19 of 34
    jkichline said:

There you go using common sense again. You're obviously not considering the implications of the tremendous pressure exerted by the Apple Pencil while drawing a diagonal line all the way across the screen when laying on a flat surface that will cause the iPad to come crashing down a fraction of a millimeter! Design fail! /s
    rogifan_newnolamacguy
  • Reply 20 of 34
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Agreed. Apple pencil support had me really pumped for this, but now I'm gonna keep my Air 2. The bump is excusable on the iPhone since it's designed to be used with a case. But the magazine thin profile of the iPad is a major part of it's appeal.