Apple announces 4" iPhone SE with A9 CPU, same design as iPhone 5s, starting at $399

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    BINGO.

The low price of $399 and the missing features ( 5 series shell, no 3D touch, no 128GB) makes it obvious that they will make a top tier 4 inch model in Sept.

Another 4" model in 6 months? Another thing you're going to be wrong about. Mark my words. 
    people said the same thing about the SE. No way we are getting a new phone 6 months after the 6s.

Apple has realized there is a strong market for 4 inch phones. Not bringing out a 4 inch iPhone7 would be a massive mistake. Apple does not make massive mistakes very often.

---

At best it argues for a new 4" model a year from now.  But the fact they threw the kitchen sink into this one in terms of the most up-to-date internals and the rear camera (the important one) suggests Apple wants this phone to hold the line at the 4" format for multiple years.  So I could see them refreshing it in two years, March of 2018, with 7S internals.  Not likely earlier.
  • Reply 82 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 said:
    Another 4" model in 6 months? Another thing you're going to be wrong about. Mark my words. 
    people said the same thing about the SE. No way we are getting a new phone 6 months after the 6s.

Apple has realized there is a strong market for 4 inch phones. Not bringing out a 4 inch iPhone7 would be a massive mistake. Apple does not make massive mistakes very often.

---

At best it argues for a new 4" model a year from now.  But the fact they threw the kitchen sink into this one in terms of the most up-to-date internals and the rear camera (the important one) suggests Apple wants this phone to hold the line at the 4" format for multiple years.  So I could see them refreshing it in two years, March of 2018, with 7S internals.  Not likely earlier.
    This is not for people the bought the 6s but for those that haven't purchased any of the 6 variations.
  • Reply 83 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 said:
    It doesn't matter if it's a flagship device or not. Internally it's different from the 5s which does not make a simple refresh. 

You haven't been paying attention to all the predictions for the iPhone 5se, and how wrong people were, and how they jumped down the throats of posters who were almost spot on with their predictions. Those are the ones back peddling, and tune changing. 
    show me proof of your 'predictions' of the iPhone SE
    My one and only prediction of a 4" iPhone is that millions of people wanted one, and Apple verified that today. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 84 of 101
    I think the 5/5s design is much nicer than that of the 6/6s.  This is simply amazing news for Apple -- anyone looking for a "smaller" phone would be silly to look at anything else now.
  • Reply 85 of 101
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    fallenjt said:

sog35 said:

wow. you were so right. You said it would not be $550. Big friken deal.  Did you say it would be $399?  I don't think so.
    Huh? you must be smoking hard lately...shit...Bring back my comment that I was talking about this damn refreshed iPhone 5s. In fact, AI never had this information until a day before yesterday. AI blog was always on a fucking iPhone SE with assumed iPhone 6 chassis. 
    No it wasn't. The 5S chassis was rumoured for months.  
    baconstang
  • Reply 86 of 101
    i have zero interest in a large screen phone and think that the 6 series is fugly so this is a phone that was made pretty much specifically for me... someone who loves the 5S but wants a better camera and apple pay. i'm a little disappointed that i can't get a 128GB model, but am totally fine with losing 3D Touch.
    baconstang
  • Reply 87 of 101
    sog35 said:
    chelin74 said:
    It fits in the watch
    don't forget the tapic engine, which is quite big in the 6s compared to the Watch.

sog35 said:
    This pricing is leading me to believe that we may get a 4 inch iPhone7 in September

iPhone 7+  $750
    iPhone 7  $650
    iPhone 7m $650 (4 inch)
    iPhone 6s+ $650
    iPhone 6s $550
    iPhone 6 $450
    iPhone SE $399

what a killer line up.
    2 4 inch iPhones in 1 year would be insane, It would surprise me if the next one came before Q3 2017, based on the 5S is 2.5 years old, also why would a 6S 4 inch be $400 and the 7 4inch be $650?, it would feel more in place at $550-600, maybe even $500.

I do agree 3D Touch just is not worth squeezing into the phone, but I do note that the removal of the normal vibrator might have got the Taptic Engine, and it isn't like they could have made the phone .1 mm thicker to fit it like they did with the 6S. However these likely would have added another $50 in end price and earned it no competition to android phones, try naming a flagship with 3D Touch equivalent, not to mention a mid end phone.
  • Reply 88 of 101
    bdj1bdj1 Posts: 13member
    1. No reachability. I really liked that feature in this big iphone 6s. 2. 399 for 16, which is unusable. So the price is really 499, or for ease to say, $500. 3. The same issue with the ipad pro...if you are a pro user, 32 is too small.... just like 16 for a phone. Last two points makes it a money grab. 32gb for a iphone and 64 for an ipad...minimums, if you plan on actually using them.
  • Reply 89 of 101
    Wow. Apple really is committed to recycling. SMH :( 
  • Reply 90 of 101
    fallenjt said:

It's iPhone 5 chassis, not 6. People have been talking about 4" in iPhone 6 body. Refreshed 5S of course would never sell at $550.
    So now it's just a refresh but whenever someone calls an s model a refresh they get pummeled down with 'it's a totally different phone, only the shell is the same'. I'm quite enjoying all the back pedaling, and tune changing that's going on today. 

FWIW, I disagree with @fallenjt. I think it is a brand new phone. And I do get pretty tickled when people call an S update just a refresh.
  • Reply 91 of 101
    it is not neutered and priced to sell so will be ordering as soon as available.
  • Reply 92 of 101
    sog35 said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I had every intention of buying an SE with 128gb today. Huh.
    and if the SE had 128GB you would probably say since it doesn't have 3D touch you won't buy it.

you are not fooling anyone except yourself.
    I had every intention as well....simply because I want more storage.  It wouldn't have been hard to do.  They failed to sell me.  I don't give a lick about 3D.  Just want more storage in the 4" form factor.  Why can't you understand that.
  • Reply 93 of 101
    trumptman said:
    Great product! I went nuts with my last iPhone 6s purchase but this is going to sell like gang busters. This is the perfect phone for the kids who now have hand-me-downs but the parents don't want to chip in several hundred more dollars across two or three new phones for said kids.

I don't care what people want to claim. Apple has to be feeling some pricing pressure. Samsung is leading the race to the bottom with these two for one S7 promotions everywhere. Apple responded in a good manner that can justify margins and helps stop the race to the bottom a bit.
    This is not a hand me down for kids replacement. Many, many people don't want the larger phones. It has little of nothing to do with affordability and more to do with form. 
    isn't the 5s a great kids product already?
  • Reply 94 of 101
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    That's an excellent price for the iPhone, it's near the $350 and lower I stated was reasonable (see my earlier post). Its good to see that Apple considered to give money back to its customers also (in addition to burning it or give it to the shareholders).
    The price hike of the iPad is unfortunate, but a little bit less of a problem because they included almost all new technology available and its 32GB instead of 16GB.
    Execlent products, way to go!

• Reply 95 of 101
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    uffenman said:
    This is not a hand me down for kids replacement. Many, many people don't want the larger phones. It has little of nothing to do with affordability and more to do with form. 
    isn't the 5s a great kids product already?
    No it isn't. It has no ApplePay and outdated components.
  • Reply 96 of 101
    ATT just told me there will be no subsidized upgrade pricing for customers with out of contract iPhones. 
  • Reply 97 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I wonder what will be the names of the next iPhones and iPads???
    Please, Dick, you’ll give me a heart attack.  ;)
  • Reply 98 of 101
    Differences from the current 6S:

1. 1.2MP vs. 5MP front camera
    2. Wi-Fi has more advanced MIMO in the 6S
    3. Faster Touch ID 2nd generation
    4. Higher contrast screen
    5. LTE  Advanced better on 6S?
  • Reply 99 of 101
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    I wonder what will be the names of the next iPhones and iPads???
    Please, Dick, you’ll give me a heart attack.  ;)
    Must be something with an X in it ...
  • Reply 100 of 101
    On top of missing force touch the SE scores slightly lower than 6s in geek bench. Doesn’t have 5MP front camera, barometer, MIMO wifi, and A-LTE. I could live without Advanced LTE and updated selfie cam but lack of barometer was a deal breaker for me. Only good thing here is they kept the 5s form factor. I really had high hopes this would be my very first apple device :(
    edited March 2016