DOJ seeks to delay Apple encryption hearing, says it may be able to unlock iPhone after all [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    badmonk said:
    Considering how bizarre the FBI has been, who is this third party?  I feel like the department needs an intervention to keep them from making bad decisions.
    Given the bad advice they have already followed, I wouldn't be surprised if someone told them to put it in the microwave for 5 minutes to "soften the security." 
    I really like that "solution", it made me burst out in laughter.  I'm still laughing . . . but what if it works????    Yikes!!
    VisualSeedbrakken
  • Reply 22 of 81
    Would the said unnamed party be the NSA?
    Whoever it is and if it works, they most certainly will not be sharing any details with Apple.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 23 of 81
    I thought the Keystone Kops in the old movies was a thing in the past.  I guess they go by a new and shorter name, errr, just 3 initials?
  • Reply 24 of 81
    So, two questions.
    1. Is China now helping the FBI?
    2. Is Emily Litella now legal counsel for the DOJ?
  • Reply 25 of 81
    The timing is certainly suspicious. No one knows if this is a "win" for Apple or not. I'd like to think this is a face-saving thing but this case has been strange since the beginning.
    potatoleeksoupcornchippalominepscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 81
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I briefly saw a article that mentioned someone punching a hole through Apple's encryption this morning, and I can't remember where. 
  • Reply 27 of 81
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    tundraboy said:
    ppietra said:
    The FBI already has what it really wanted, enough public support for the Congress to make some changes in the law.
    I don't think they have enough public support to get the legislation they want.  In fact as people got more educated about the whole issue of breaking phone encryption, the more they sided with Apple.  Looks more like a face-saving, shall I say it?, backdoor out of the corner that they stupidly painted themselves in.
    The latests polls give more support to the FBI than to Apple and show that people have changed their opinion about the creation of new laws that the FBI was seeking. It probably won’t get any better than this if the case continues, specially if the FBI looses.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member
    "Taking a step back, the San Bernardino case appears to be more of a gamble for the DOJ than Apple. All Writs, as it is intended, is the FBI's last standing option to gain access to evidence, and precedent against the measure could be extremely damaging to future investigations. Apple, on the other hand, has nearly inexhaustible resources and, more importantly, time to strengthen its defenses if it is forced to break a particular encryption method." 

Apple should resist this motion and insist that the case go to court.  It's important that the (non) issues the FBI have raised are seen to be what they are.

• Reply 29 of 81
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Shame it wasn't a 5S, they could have cut the guy's finger off.
    buzdots
  • Reply 30 of 81
    It might be the Chinese. They extracted concessions from Apple to let them sell in China, so they probably have the keys to the Apple kingdom and are replicating and extending them.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    The best part will be that -- if this other party really can crack into it -- they may have to tell the judge there wasn't anything of value there. The agency put the country into a constitutional crisis over nothing.
    palominebrometheus
  • Reply 32 of 81
    mcdave said:
    Shame it wasn't a 5S, they could have cut the guy's finger off.
    Only if the phone wasn't powered off and it was less than 48 since it was last used. 
  • Reply 33 of 81

sumergo said:
    "Taking a step back, the San Bernardino case appears to be more of a gamble for the DOJ than Apple. All Writs, as it is intended, is the FBI's last standing option to gain access to evidence, and precedent against the measure could be extremely damaging to future investigations. Apple, on the other hand, has nearly inexhaustible resources and, more importantly, time to strengthen its defenses if it is forced to break a particular encryption method." 

Apple should resist this motion and insist that the case go to court.  It's important that the (non) issues the FBI have raised are seen to be what they are.

As they have only asked for a delay and the original court order has not been ruled on, I think Apple still gets their day in court as things stand now. 

UPDATE: It's now canceled. So I guess that's that
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 34 of 81
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    APPLE WINS!!!
    I was really scared there for a while. So many stupid people in power were about to destroy the foundation of the best company in history. I look forward to Apple's increasingly complex and amazing security. 

Excellent work, Apple.

fbi, you are shite.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,295member
    quinney said:
    When they thought things were going their way, the FBI wanted to set a precedent to use the All Writs Act.  Now they look like they are afraid that the precedent to be
    set would be that they cannot use the AWA to increase their snooping powers.  I wonder if the outside party is the NSA.  Richard Clarke had been saying that the NSA
    had the capability, but the FBI did not request them to do so, since the FBI wanted a legal precedent to expand the use of the AWA.
    Yup, and here's the link in case anyone's interested:

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/14/470347719/encryption-and-privacy-are-larger-issues-than-fighting-terrorism-clarke-says

CLARKE: No, David. If I were in the job now, I would have simply told the FBI to call Fort Meade, the headquarters of the National Security Agency, and NSA would have solved this problem for them. They're not as interested in solving the problem as they are in getting a legal precedent.

• Reply 36 of 81
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    badmonk said:
    Considering how bizarre the FBI has been, who is this third party?  I feel like the department needs an intervention to keep them from making bad decisions.
    John McAfee.  Ha ha ha.  Seriously though, probably the NSA.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    There has always been bugs that make it possible to bypass security. If someone has approached FBI with a method, I'd say it's a hacker that has found a security flaw, and wants a good pay.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    jungmark said:
    Incompetence. The FBI should be forced to pay Apple's legal bills. 
    As in, you the tax payer would be footing Apples legal bills?
  • Reply 39 of 81
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    $10 says in a few weeks the FBI will lie/announce they cracked the password and found nothing of importance. 
    edited March 2016 kibitzericoco3pscooter63tallest skilbuzdots
  • Reply 40 of 81
    The judge basically rubber stamps every FBI requests. Our justice system is a joke.