Apple's Lightning to USB-C cable lets users plug iPhone, iPad into 12-inch MacBook

Posted:
in iPad
One of the less publicized Apple announcements on Monday was the introduction of a Lightning to USB-C cable, an accessory addressing a serious compatibility problem for 12-inch MacBook owners who also own an iOS device.

The cable, available in 1-meter and 2-meter lengths, connects any Lightning-equipped iOS device with a computer's USB-C port, a convenient feature for owners of the 12-inch Retina MacBook. To cut down extraneous components, Apple's thin-and-light laptop boasts only a single USB-C connection, meaning users who also owned an iPhone or iPad would have to charge their portable separately, or purchase an adapter.

In addition to simple connectivity, the USB-C cable can also be used to take advantage of the 12.9-inch iPad Pro's fast-charge feature. Aside from a direct computer connection, owners can plug their Pro into the same 29-watt USB power adapter that recharges the 12-inch MacBook. And thanks to the inclusion of USB 3 technology, the iPad Pro will charge at a much faster rate of 29 watts, compared to the 12-watt adapter that ships with the Pro.

AppleInsider was first to note in February that 29-watt iPad Pro charging was technically possible. At the time, the only limiting factor was the fact that Apple had not yet brought a USB 3-capable Lightning cable to market -- which has now changed.

The benefits won't be seen by the new 9.7-inch iPad Pro, however, as Apple did not include a USB 3 Lightning connector on the smaller "Pro" model. That will charge at the standard 12 watts, but the device also has a much smaller battery that will take less time to replenish.

The least expensive Lightning to USB-C Cable is 1 meter (3 feet) long, and costs $25. Orders can ship as fast as March 23.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    I think this particular accessory signals a wider move to USB-C for all Apple computers and possibly the abandonment of standard USB connectors across all Apple products. USB-C is a worthwhile upgrade in my book and I welcome it, even though it will create inevitable connectivity issues. What I will welcome even more is the next generation of Apple MacBooks and MacBook Pros when they finally arrive. They're ripe for replacement. The one disappointment today was the lack of any news about new laptops. But I blame Intel for the slow upgrade cycle, whose tick-tock cadence seems completely out of whack. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 8
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    tailpipe said:
    I think this particular accessory signals a wider move to USB-C for all Apple computers and possibly the abandonment of standard USB connectors across all Apple products. USB-C is a worthwhile upgrade in my book and I welcome it, even though it will create inevitable connectivity issues. What I will welcome even more is the next generation of Apple MacBooks and MacBook Pros when they finally arrive. They're ripe for replacement. The one disappointment today was the lack of any news about new laptops. But I blame Intel for the slow upgrade cycle, whose tick-tock cadence seems completely out of whack. 
    Very much agreed.  Every Apple computer is ripe for updating or redesigning except the iMac (and even it is past its historical redesign cycle date).  I'm think WWDC should be a blowout of hardware releases.  I'm looking forward to USB-C to enable a simple one-cable docking solution where the monitor has all the peripherals connected to it and the Apple laptop (Pro or otherwise) is easily connected and disconnected.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    toddzrx said:
    tailpipe said:
    Very much agreed.  Every Apple computer is ripe for updating or redesigning except the iMac (and even it is past its historical redesign cycle date).  I'm think WWDC should be a blowout of hardware releases.  I'm looking forward to USB-C to enable a simple one-cable docking solution where the monitor has all the peripherals connected to it and the Apple laptop (Pro or otherwise) is easily connected and disconnected.
    I don't think WWDC will be a hardware release bonanza for the simple reason that WWDC is all about the software. Having said that today's announcements were disappointing in my view. I understand that Apple computers are now a peripheral Apple business in terms of money but I agree with this article Neglected again, Apple's dusty MacBooks are outdated, underpowered and overpriced - Digital Trends, and I find it upsetting because I am a Mac guy much more than an IOS guy.
    jackansi
  • Reply 4 of 8
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    paxman said:
    toddzrx said:
    I don't think WWDC will be a hardware release bonanza for the simple reason that WWDC is all about the software. Having said that today's announcements were disappointing in my view. I understand that Apple computers are now a peripheral Apple business in terms of money but I agree with this article Neglected again, Apple's dusty MacBooks are outdated, underpowered and overpriced - Digital Trends, and I find it upsetting because I am a Mac guy much more than an IOS guy.
    paxman said:
    toddzrx said:
    What don't your understand about the concept that Intel is at fault here.    Apple can't upgrade any of its laptops until it has suitable chips to upgrade with.   Nothing on the market right now can produce a reasonable MBP upgrade.   Beyond all of that I suspect that Apple will want to get a 14nm class GPU into the MBP when they are available to ship in bulk.   

Honestly I don't know why people dis Apple when the problem with lackluster MBP upgrades is in fact an Intel problem.   
    ration alRayz2016nolamacguy
  • Reply 5 of 8
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Apple should use standard ports like USB in all devices. Problem solved.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    He faster charging is good and all, but does this cable also provide USB-C transfer speeds? I'd like a USB3 cable as well, for users that don't have the 12" MacBook.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Only took almost a year.
    jackansi
  • Reply 8 of 8
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    wizard69 said:
    paxman said:
    What don't your understand about the concept that Intel is at fault here.    Apple can't upgrade any of its laptops until it has suitable chips to upgrade with.   Nothing on the market right now can produce a reasonable MBP upgrade.   Beyond all of that I suspect that Apple will want to get a 14nm class GPU into the MBP when they are available to ship in bulk.   

Honestly I don't know why people dis Apple when the problem with lackluster MBP upgrades is in fact an Intel problem.   
    Did you read the article I linked to? I am guessing not.
    jackansi