MacBook stocks dwindle as rumor pegs new 13" & 15" models for second quarter 2016 launch

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited March 2016
Low stocks of some current MacBooks models may indicate that Apple is preparing to refresh its laptops, and may also support a rumor that new 13- and 15-inch systems will ship by the end of the second quarter.

Although Apple's own stores appear to be well-stocked, AppleInsider checks on Tuesday indicated that third-party vendors like B&H and MacMall have limited inventory of the MacBook Pro, in both 13- and 15-inch sizes. Many 12-inch MacBook configurations, meanwhile, are also out of stock at resellers. Availability can be seen in the AppleInsider Price Guide.

Such stock-outs are often a sign that merchants and/or Apple itself are trying to drain inventory in advance of a refresh.

Simultaneously, DigiTimes supply chain sources claimed that Apple is preparing to ship new 13- and 15-inch MacBooks at the end of the second quarter, implying sometime in June. Though the site didn't specify which specific models it meant, it described the new systems as being "similar" in design to the 12-inch MacBook, and thinner than the current MacBook Air.

While both publications have a mixed track record with predicting Apple products, the DigiTimes report does align with an Economic Daily News claim from November that Apple is planning to revamp the Air line, possibly scrapping the 11-inch model in favor of a 15-inch one. Alternately, the company might just be planning to thin down the Pro.

In any event all three MacBook lines are likely to see refreshes in the next several months, potentially timed with Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in early June.

The Air has lagged behind other MacBooks in recent years, changing relatively little in terms of design. The computer is in fact the only MacBook without a Retina display, though as a tradeoff it's also the least expensive model, starting at $899.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Bring Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 Type C Generation 2.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    While upgrading to skylake probably with lower TDP; macbook pro needs to shed some weight. 13" below 4lb, closer to 3lb. USB 3.1/USB-C gen 2 is certainly good. upgradeable SSD with 256GB as base config.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Can't we quit reporting DigiTimes. Good God.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    sog35 said:
    WWDC isn't till June.

wonder whats going on. Maybe another Apple event in April?
    I think they must to be planning an event in April as WWDC is too far off.  Dell, HP, Lenovo, and Microsoft are all shipping mobile devices with Intel 6th Generation mobile processors and Apple is coming off as the laggard of the industry.
    paxman
  • Reply 5 of 21
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Anyone think they will drop USB on the Macbook Pro and replace it with USB-C and Thunderbolt? That's my guess...aggressive push away from old school USB.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    schlack said:
    Anyone think they will drop USB on the Macbook Pro and replace it with USB-C and Thunderbolt? That's my guess...aggressive push away from old school USB.
    USB-C makes sense on a one-off product like the MacBook where size is the same of the game, and a single ubiquitous port is desired. 

The MacBook Pro needs to be usable in different applications from the MacBook, so removing USB ports in favor of USB-C accomplishes nothing except forcing people to buy adapters.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Laptop Upgrade Predictions:

• MacBook 12" Retina with Skylake - same as current model but significantly better performance
    • MacBook 14" Retina with Skylake - slightly larger than MacBook Air with 13"screen and likely to be massively popular 
    • MacBook Pro 13" Retina with Skylake - overall form factor similar to existing  model but redesigned enclosure that's thinner and lighter 
    • MacBook Pro 15" Retina with Skylake - overall form factor similar to existing  model but redesigned enclosure that's thinner and lighter 
    All models should come with USB-C while Pro models likely to get two USB-C ports plus HDMI, single Thunderbolt, SD card and headphone jack. 

Baseline configuration 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD
    High end configuration 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD
    BTO option configuration 32 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD

It is also possible that MacBook Pro could move to a new screen form factor of 14" and 16", while MacBook sticks with 12" and 14" in stead of 13" and 15". 
  • Reply 8 of 21
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    tailpipe said:

• MacBook 12" Retina with Skylake - same as current model but significantly better performance
    • MacBook 14" Retina with Skylake - slightly larger than MacBook Air with 13"screen and likely to be massively popular 
    • MacBook Pro 13" Retina with Skylake - overall form factor similar to existing  model but redesigned enclosure that's thinner and lighter 
    • MacBook Pro 15" Retina with Skylake - overall form factor similar to existing  model but redesigned enclosure that's thinner and lighter 
    All models should come with USB-C while Pro models likely to get two USB-C ports plus HDMI, single Thunderbolt, SD card and headphone jack. 

It is also possible that MacBook Pro could move to a new screen form factor of 14" and 16", while MacBook sticks with 12" and 14" in stead of 13" and 15". 
    I'm hoping for a refreshed 12" MacBook, a new 14" MacBook, a 14" MacBook Pro that uses the same retina screen, and a 16" MacBook Pro.  While the MacBooks will be USB-C only, I could see Apple including a single type-A port on the Pros for legacy reasons. 
  • Reply 9 of 21
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    With internal refreshes but no new features (ala 3D Touchpad) there likely won't be an event to demo the updated laptops.  Instead, it'll just be a press announcement, likely timed for mid- to late- April, as a means of driving customer visits to the stores after the iPhone SE/iPad Pro spike fades.  Smart.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    sog35 said:
    WWDC isn't till June.

wonder whats going on. Maybe another Apple event in April?
    I think they must to be planning an event in April as WWDC is too far off.  Dell, HP, Lenovo, and Microsoft are all shipping mobile devices with Intel 6th Generation mobile processors and Apple is coming off as the laggard of the industry.
    Do those new laptops have the U processors or the HQ CPUs?  I have seen the U models in other brands but I believe Apple uses the HQ models but haven't checked in awhile. I think the U series are dual core while the others HQ and HK are quad cores.  It could be a matter of getting those CPUs in volume or the could be designing other improvements in addition to   a CPU upgrade. Why would you think Apple would not want to release a new set of laptops?  Regardless, Apple is the trend setter, not the "laggard" in the industry and has been for some time. 
    fastasleepjkichline
  • Reply 11 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The price will mainly tell whether or not Apple has knitted the kangaroo or not.
    • a very light compact line competitively priced for schools, which need at least a decent number of ports (a couple of USB3, an SD slot, and OK, at least one USB-C and maybe HDMI)
    • a less light, powerful range with stacks of connectivity (SD slot, 2 USB-C, 2 USB3, HDMI) and a decent seperate GPU
    • Just for Jonny, an I really don't care about ultralight that would be nice if it wasn't  compromised with low power and one port. it would almost be acceptable at oh, about half its current price.  I have never even seen one outside an Apple Store.

Also, by September wouldn't Kaby Lake intel chips be coming on the market? Awesome prioritisation Apple!
  • Reply 12 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member

isteelers said:
    Do those new laptops have the U processors or the HQ CPUs?  I have seen the U models in other brands but I believe Apple uses the HQ models but haven't checked in awhile. I think the U series are dual core while the others HQ and HK are quad cores.  It could be a matter of getting those CPUs in volume or the could be designing other improvements in addition to   a CPU upgrade. Why would you think Apple would not want to release a new set of laptops?  Regardless, Apple is the trend setter, not the "laggard" in the industry and has been for some time. 
    I doubt a MacBook Air equivalent would have anything but 6xxxU processors.

My son got the HP x360 spectre because he wanted as modern a processor as possible. His sisters settled for MBAs. That was nearly four months ago. The HP had been out long enough to get discounted. And Apple is still months away.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 13 of 21
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Are the Skylake-H chipsets appropriate for MBPs even shipping yet? I don't think there are any PCs out there with the processors that are expected for MBPs yet, please correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's what we've been waiting for. That and possibly AMD Polaris for GPUs, but those aren't out 'til Summer.
    jkichline
  • Reply 14 of 21
    For the MBP:
    1. Thunderbolt 3.
    2. 60 Hz 4K support over HDMI.  It's really hard to find 40+ inch 4K TV's with DisplayPort.
    3. Moving to industry standard NVM Express SSD instead of Apple's own custom PCIe SSD.  This could allow for more third party upgrade options including standard TRIM support.
    4. Keep the Magsafe!
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 15 of 21
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    17" rMBP please! Otherwise it's a SkyLake iMac for me later in the year...
  • Reply 16 of 21
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    pmz said:
    schlack said:
    USB-C makes sense on a one-off product like the MacBook where size is the same of the game, and a single ubiquitous port is desired. 

The MacBook Pro needs to be usable in different applications from the MacBook, so removing USB ports in favor of USB-C accomplishes nothing except forcing people to buy adapters.

Unfortunately, that's never stopped Apple before.   
  • Reply 17 of 21
    I've been an Apple user since 1993 and I was a hardware tester at Drexel University. Anyone know what the Newton was? Or eWorld? But I'm fed up with Apple's elitist attitude and their lack of timely computer support. It seems, IMHO, they only care about their locked down iPhones and IPads....what does PRO mean, exactly? Picked up my first Windows computer and it's really awesome! The new Dell xps 13" gold. Apple has made me sad for a company that once was....:(
    Blaster
  • Reply 18 of 21
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    I've been an Apple user since 1993 and I was a hardware tester at Drexel University. Anyone know what the Newton was? Or eWorld? But I'm fed up with Apple's elitist attitude and their lack of timely computer support. 
    As a Mac user since the 128k in 1984, and as an owner of a Newton 2100 and SE/30, since when as Apple NOT been "elitist"?  The old Apple back in the 1980's didn't use quite as many adjectives like Revolutionary, Mind Blowing, Breakthrough, Awesome, Incredible, Stunning, Magical, etc. like they do now, but Apple has always touted itself as the best (and it has been, a lot of the time).  I've never had a problem with their Customer Support, although I do read about folks who have.  Nevertheless, the only thing one can be truly fed up with at this point is the wait for the new 12" MacBook.  The first came out in March 2015 and now we must wait until June to fine out if it will even be released then.  And then we find Apple is going stingy with iPad Pro RAM (versus the 12" Pro).  I doubt Apple will be generous to us on RAM or SSD when the new MacBooks do come out.  And a second USB-C port on the MacBook?  Now that would be mind-blowing!
  • Reply 19 of 21
    yt7509yt7509 Posts: 1member
    June is too late !! They should have been released already !
    yhoooory@me
  • Reply 20 of 21
    tailpipe said:

Thunderbolt 3 uses USB-C connector
    yhoooory@me