Apple's 9.7" iPad Pro discovered to have 2GB of RAM, half that of 12.9" model

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    auxio said:
    ^ this.  The GPU and the CPU share the same memory on the iPad, and so you'll have less RAM being taken up by the GPU when you have a smaller screen.
    First thing I noticed on my 12.9" iPP was the 4GB RAM. For as concerned about the environment as Apple is they sure don't like to future proof products. No way would I ever buy another iPad if it didn't have 4 (or at least 3) GB RAM.
     there is no such thing as future proof. That being said, Apple devices have the longest lifespan in the industry. but you knew that. 
    diplicationcanukstormcornchipwilliamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 52
    sog35 said:
    Then why are you crying like a little baby?  Keep your iPP and have a happy life.  Why the hell are you even concerned about the 9.7?  

Its pretty clear the 9.7 wasn't built for you.
    Maybe because I care about Apple customers having the best UX. I have a 9.7" iPad Air 2 and I can definitely notice the extra RAM in my iPP. It's a much better UX. Unfortunately with marketing and bean counters running the show margins, price points and upselling are top priorities. The complete opposite of the values Jony Ive describes, but then I assume he has very little involvement in pricing & specs.
    ah yeah, because marketing and price points didn't exist in Apple when Jobs was alive, right? the nefarious "bean counters" have stolen the show. uh huh. 
    diplicationRayz2016
  • Reply 23 of 52
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    RAM is becoming less important than you think because of higher storage speed (SSD is quite fast). And with the 3D XPoint storage about to enter the market, it will be so blazing fast, it's hard to justify for extra RAM beyond where latency is not crucial.
    cornchip
  • Reply 24 of 52

sog35 said:
    are you sure its the RAM that is causing the Air2 to be slower?  Or could it be the CPU?

From the early hands on impression I have not read anything to say the 9.7 Pro is significantly slower than the 12.9.
    I know safari tabs and apps refresh much more frequently on the Air 2 than on my iPP. And I would imagine pro-worthy apps and high-end games would welcome the extra RAM. This is just Apple being stingy. Jony Ive and the designers and engineers might be working on the future but unfortunately it's marketing and bean counters that make the final decisions on what configuration is sold to the public. Shame really.
    you present that as if it were fact, and not just your own pet hypothesis. how many design and engineering meetings have you sat in on? I'm gonna guess....none. none is the number of product meetings you've participated in at Apple. so -- what the hell are you talking about?
    edited March 2016 diplicationcornchip
  • Reply 25 of 52
    mjtomlin said:
    The A9 has the memory on the SoC, which explains why the iPhone SE has the same memory as the iPhone 6s. To make room for the extra processing cores, the X variants have the memory moved to their own dedicated silicon. I'm also pretty sure the 9.7" Pro required them to design a smaller motherboard, meaning less room for any other chips, including any extra memory.

If you think you need 4GB, get the 12.9" iPad. If you're more concerned about weight and size, get the 9.7". While I don't agree with Apple's latest naming conventions, people need to stop getting hung up on it, the whining on these boards is juvenile. I have an iPhone 6 with 1GB of memory and I currently have 7 safari tabs open and about 10 apps open... there's no reloading of web pages and absolutely no lag when switching apps.
    please, sir -- stop using your reason. it has no place among those here.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 52
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    sog35 said:
    jannl said:
    This makes the Air 2 look better to me now.
    +1 As a replacement for an iPad Air I was waiting for the new Pro. But with a price difference of almost $250 in The Netherlands (and then only 32GB in the Pro instead of 64GB in the Air 2), I'm not so sure...
    How long do you keep your iPads?  4 years? 5 years?

If you keep your iPad's for 3 years we are talking 23 cents a day.  I mean really?  That's about $7 a month for the iPad Pro vs Air2. 

I've regretted buying lower tier stuff many many times.  I've never regretting buying high quality stuff, ever.
    Ok ok, true. Also prefer buying higher end products, but in this case it's an iPad for occasional use (3/4 times a week), so made me wondering.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    First thing I noticed on my 12.9" iPP was the 4GB RAM. For as concerned about the environment as Apple is they sure don't like to future proof products. No way would I ever buy another iPad if it didn't have 4 (or at least 3) GB RAM.
     there is no such thing as future proof. That being said, Apple devices have the longest lifespan in the industry. but you knew that. 
    Not so sure about that. Devices with 8GB storage and 1GB ram are not long lasting. The iPad mini 3 didn't last long. Nor did the iPad 3. 
  • Reply 28 of 52

I know safari tabs and apps refresh much more frequently on the Air 2 than on my iPP. And I would imagine pro-worthy apps and high-end games would welcome the extra RAM. This is just Apple being stingy. Jony Ive and the designers and engineers might be working on the future but unfortunately it's marketing and bean counters that make the final decisions on what configuration is sold to the public. Shame really.
    you present that as if it were fact, and not just your own pet hypothesis. how many design and engineering meetings have you sat in on? I'm gonna guess....none. none is the number of product meetings you've participated in at Apple. so -- what the hell are you talking about?
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who makes decisions on pricing and configurations. And it's not Apple designers and engineers.
  • Reply 29 of 52

mjtomlin said:
    The A9 has the memory on the SoC, which explains why the iPhone SE has the same memory as the iPhone 6s. To make room for the extra processing cores, the X variants have the memory moved to their own dedicated silicon. I'm also pretty sure the 9.7" Pro required them to design a smaller motherboard, meaning less room for any other chips, including any extra memory.

If you think you need 4GB, get the 12.9" iPad. If you're more concerned about weight and size, get the 9.7". While I don't agree with Apple's latest naming conventions, people need to stop getting hung up on it, the whining on these boards is juvenile. I have an iPhone 6 with 1GB of memory and I currently have 7 safari tabs open and about 10 apps open... there's no reloading of web pages and absolutely no lag when switching apps.
    Ok at least you're providing a plausible theory and not just Apple knows best. Even if space constraints are the reason it's still a bummer because the extra RAM does make a difference. And I can only comment on my experiences. When I has an iPhone 6 apps were reloading from memory constantly. Same with Safari tabs. I know I'm not the only one to experience this.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    sog35 said:
    bean counters? So why is Apple selling a $399 phone?  Just stop.

You are way out of your depth here. Sorry but you are not qualified to make these type of decisions for a $600 billion company.
    Yes it makes no sense. The SE is a very compelling phone for the price. I think it will sell very well. If the 9.7" Pro had 3 or 4 GB RAM and support for USB 3 I think it would easily become the best selling iPad. As it is now people will just wait for v2.
    Totally agree. The iPad pricing strategy is nonsensical when looking at the SE pricing strategy.
     Upping the price 20% and slapping a 'pro' moniker on it doesnt change the fact this is simply the next iteration of the mainstream iPad, which was already overdue.  I was ready to upgrade from my iPad 3. I will sit it out until September when they probably drop the price due to sales quickly dropping off after an initial flush. Or, if it doesn't drop in price, I will continue to wait or get something else more appropriately priced.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    How is it that these iPad "Pros" are supposed to be laptop replacements? My 8 year old 2008 Macbook Unibody is still far superior to these iPad toys. 2 GHZ 8 GB Ram, a true OS X, I can run Windows and Linux natively, hook it up to my 27" LED Cinema display and have multiple windows open side by side (unlike the two window solution of the iPad pssh) and I can actually use web sites that are too complex for an iPad to handle. The iPad doesn't even have 3D touch contextual menus, much less a robust file system. iPad has a long way to go before I will consider switching out a laptop.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 32 of 52
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Yeah things reload from memory, but the reality is that 2GB of RAM is still sufficient on an iOS product. I dont really care for the naming scheme, but 98% of users are likely watching Netflix and checking Facebook. Apple has great memory management and only the very tech savvy would care. 

The great Apple RAM debate needs to stop. Its been going on for years and Apple continues to crush benchmarks and exceed customer expectations with performance.
    cornchip
  • Reply 33 of 52
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    tyler82 said:
    How is it that these iPad "Pros" are supposed to be laptop replacements? My 8 year old 2008 Macbook Unibody is still far superior to these iPad toys. 2 GHZ 8 GB Ram, a true OS X, I can run Windows and Linux natively, hook it up to my 27" LED Cinema display and have multiple windows open side by side (unlike the two window solution of the iPad pssh) and I can actually use web sites that are too complex for an iPad to handle. The iPad doesn't even have 3D touch contextual menus, much less a robust file system. iPad has a long way to go before I will consider switching out a laptop.

the iPad is not a laptop replacement for you. But you post off and on on a tech blog, talk about installing other OSes on a machine, something 99.9% of people would never consider. 

Think about everyone else. It's very possible it works better for different people. Love how tech enthusiasts project their values and knowledge like every other consumer shares the same thing.
    cornchip
  • Reply 34 of 52
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    tyler82 said:

Only in the minds of tech nerds. For a great many nontechnical people, their computer gets used as an internet / email / social networking / photo sharing & management device and that's about it. In which case, there is no reason for them to have a PC instead of an Ipad.

Whether they are willing to spend money on an Ipad when they already have a PC is another question, but at least Apple is there with a solution that they might consider getting as a replacement when their PC finally dies.

cornchip
  • Reply 35 of 52
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member
    The A9X processor in Apple's 9.7-inch iPad Pro is not only slightly slower, but it also features half the RAM of the larger, more expensive 12.9-inch model, initial tests have revealed.

Via Matthew Panzarino.

Benchmarks with the new iPad Pro and the 4-inch iPhone SE were conducted by Matthew Panzarino of TechCrunch, who discovered that both devices feature 2 gigabytes of RAM. The 9.7-inch iPad Pro features a faster A9X processor, while the iPhone SE features the A9 chip.

Notably, with 2 gigabytes on its A9X, the 9.7-inch iPad Pro features the same amount of RAM as its predecessor, the iPad Air 2. While Apple downplays such technical specifications, more RAM enables a number of benefits, including allowing apps and Safari windows to stay open in the background longer. There are costs to more RAM as well, however, such as an impact on battery life.

In a separate test, Pazarino also reaffirmed that the A9X processor in the 9.7-inch iPad Pro runs at a slower speed than the same chip in the 12.9-inch model. AppleInsider was first to note the power disparity earlier Tuesday.

For users who are trying to choose between the 9.7- and 12.9-inch iPad Pro, there's a lot to weigh beyond screen size. In addition to a faster chip and more RAM, the larger version also has a faster USB 3 Lightning port for charging and syncing.

The 9.7-inch model, however, has better cameras, including 12-megapixel iSight camera that matches the iPhone 6s. The display is also revamped with Apple's True Tone technology, which automatically adjusts the screen color based on the user's environment.

Then there's the factor of price: The 9.7-inch model starts at $599 for 32 gigabytes, while the 12.9-inch variant starts at $799 for the same capacity. The 12.9-inch iPad Pro is available now, while preorders for the 9.7-inch version begin Thursday, ahead of a launch next week on March 31.
    Whatever the specs (processor, memory, camera, design, color, price . . .) that we all like to whine about.  Apparently it doesn't matter, since the iPad platform is going the way of the Dodo - if you believe this recent post on SlashDot:

"The iPad occupies a unique place in the annals of tech history. Upon its release in 2010, Apple's first stab at a tablet quickly set sales records. Not only did early iPad sales outpace early iPhone sales, but the iPad quickly became one of the fastest selling consumer electronics products of all time. The iPad's once-auspicious journey, however, would eventually take an unexpected detour. In what seemed like a blink of an eye, soaring sales began to taper off, even as Apple began to introduce newer and more advanced models. Today, iPad sales are still slumping. During Apple's most recent earnings report, the company revealed that year over year iPad sales fell by 25% while iPad related revenue dropped by 20%. Hardly an aberration, iPad sales have been dropping for well over two years at this point. And whereas Tim Cook once took to earnings conference calls to praise the iPad, he now finds himself forced to defend the iPad against a barrage of analyst questions. Yesterday, Apple released a new 9.7-inch iPad Pro and it stands to reason that this is Apple's last chance to truly inject a bit of life into a faltering product line."

Check out this archival video of where Apple might think the iPad is going:  

• Reply 36 of 52
    Only 2GB? That's a disappointment. Believe me, 4GB on my 12.9" iPad Pro makes a difference espicially with the Photos app.
    rogifan_new
  • Reply 37 of 52
    So what exactly is "Pro" about this model, then, besides its price tag? Sorry, but Apple Pencil support isn't enough of a differentiation to preclude Apple from calling it the Air 3. The more I learn about this thing, the less excited about it I am. Less RAM, no USB3 support etc. 
    This like the mini 2. People are suckers for buying this. Wait a year and it will have more RAM and USB 3 support.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    sog35 said:

So what exactly is "Pro" about this model, then, besides its price tag? Sorry, but Apple Pencil support isn't enough of a differentiation to preclude Apple from calling it the Air 3. The more I learn about this thing, the less excited about it I am. Less RAM, no USB3 support etc. 
    What makes it pro?

Super fast A9X
    Pencil support (go minimize this all you want, but for graphics pro's and those taking notes/annotations this is huge)
    Better screen than Air2
    4 speakers
    Smart connector support (for easy keyboard use)

And damn it, it only cost $100 more than the Air3 when it comes out.  Its not like it cost $500 more than the Air3.  Can't believe you are getting all bent out of shape because of $100.
    Processor doesn't really count as every new iPad gets a SOC bump (well except for the mini 3 which was a lame upgrade anyway). Every time Apple announces a new product it's better than its predecessor. 6S has loads of improvements over the 6 but the price didn't change. I was fine with the 9.7" iPP being more expensive because I assumed it was part of a new iPad "pro" family. But skimping out on RAM and USB 3 support is really lame. At least with Macs you can upgrade the RAM. With iPads you're stuck with whatever Apple decides. I know a number of 6 Plus owners wishing their device had more than 1GB RAM. 
  • Reply 39 of 52
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Well, it also lets you buy and use their new keyboard. Don't you feel better about that additional $100 now?
  • Reply 39 of 52
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    sog35 said:

What makes it pro?

Super fast A9X
    Pencil support (go minimize this all you want, but for graphics pro's and those taking notes/annotations this is huge)
    Better screen than Air2
    4 speakers
    Smart connector support (for easy keyboard use)

And damn it, it only cost $100 more than the Air3 when it comes out.  Its not like it cost $500 more than the Air3.  Can't believe you are getting all bent out of shape because of $100.
    People are upset that Apple have upped the price on an iPad refresh, don't see how that is surprising to you.

Of course it has much better specs than the iPad Air 2, that's the point of a refresh.

The iPhones didn't increase in price when the iPhone 4 went retina, because it was the new iPhone.

To most people the two tent pole features that are touted by most as the reason for the added price, namely Apple Pencil and Keyboard support are not even wanted.

Sure, you could still buy the iPad Air 2. But as the average useable product life for an iDevice is 4 years max (in terms of usability whilst keeping iOS up to date) it's not that wonderful a proposition. It'll be a paperweight for most people within 2 years.

Will you keep defending the decision? Of course you will, that's what your posts are like.

Will I keep buying Apple products despite calling them out frequently, damn straight I will.
    disneylandman