Apple's 'Liam' video sparks theories of new iPhone 6s-like model without camera bump

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    The phone in the video was an iPhone 6. You can compare the inside details from MacFixit's iPhone 6 teardown. Identical. I agree with mhollins that the camera lens must have been removed by the time we saw the phone.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 42 of 51
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member
    It could be an iPhone 7 prototype. We know three things about the iPhone 7:

(1) it will have the same width and height of the current generation;

(2) it will be thinner than;

(3) and, it won't have the petruding camera.

The phone in the video looks thinner, so it may just very well be a 7 prototype.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    KRSKRS Posts: 1member
    ireland said:
    Samsung S5: Friend bought it because it was free on contract and water-resistant.

Day 1: Bottom cover fell off. It helps with water-resistance. Brought to a store. Samsung said they won't fix it. Called it a cosmetic issue.

Conclusion: Samsung is a junk company.
    I had my s5 for over a year and a half, yes the little cover broke at a year and a half but I got on ebay, bought new ones (2 for like $6 and they came with a tiny screw driver. Took me about 5 minutes to fix.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    apple isn't going to "leak" the iPhone 7 on a video.

Let apple make the 7 look exactly like a 6S with no camera bump. Watch the sales decline big time. 
    Hell I am going SE 64GB myself. The 6 Series is ugly. Sorry, but it is. massive antenna lines., don't like the rounded edges. 
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 45 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Hell I am going SE 64GB myself. The 6 Series is ugly. Sorry, but it is. massive antenna lines., don't like the rounded edges. 
    The physically depressed and visually differentiated antenna lines on the iPhone 5’s design* don’t outweigh the flush antenna plastic of the 6?

The curvature is something to get used to. The first gen was the last model that was curvy in the same way as the 6 (meaning metal and not plastic), and yeah, they both feel a little like a bar of soap for a while.

*Why the fuck did Apple do this? Why didn’t they just come up with something new? I’m really bothered by their laziness here (and it doesn’t look too good for them to be backpedaling with sizes–they should have just never taken 4” away).
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ireland said:
    Samsung S5: Friend bought it because it was free on contract and water-resistant.

Day 1: Bottom cover fell off. It helps with water-resistance. Brought to a store. Samsung said they won't fix it. Called it a cosmetic issue.

Conclusion: Samsung is a junk company.
    The cover falling off is a cosmetic issue??

If the door falls off the future Samsung car, will that be a cosmetic issue?
  • Reply 47 of 51
    In our house, we have two iPhones (a 5 and a 6s), two iPads (a 1 and a 2) and a Nexus 7.  We also have a mix of Windows and OSX PCs.

I have yet to find anything that I cannot do on the Nexus that I can do on the iPads (ignoring things like iOS/OSX synching and so on).  I can run all the apps that I want, play music, watch video, browse the web, write documents and manage my emails.  There a couple of things that the Nexus does (like Dashlane completing passwords) that iOS cannot but nothing that is a deal breaker either way.  Obviously, some people will have specific needs that only one of the platforms will support but they are in the minority, most things are possible on both.

Personally, I prefer iOS but I suspect that that is mostly down to familiarity.  I have had iOS devices for a lot of years and the Nexus for about 6 months.  Had I had Android devices first I expect I's prefer Android.  Switching is as much about how you can handle and accept change and relearning as it is about the quality of the UI.

In all honesty from a UI perspective there is nothing really to choose between them, they go about things in different ways and some will prefer one over the other (as I said above, I personally prefer iOS).  The only reason I can see for the "hatred" you see all over forums is down to some people's need to take sides in an argument just for the sake of taking sides.  I'm also convinced that for some, it's a need to justify the amount of money they have just spent.  Some seem to have an irrational dislike of anything to do with Steve Jobs or his successors while others have an equally irrational distrust of anything related to Google.

The two platforms are not chalk and cheese, they are so close (and getting closer each iteration).  Some of it may come down to how much you perceive your needs for privacy and security and how you see the two platforms in this respect.  I appreciate the importance but I am careful with what I enter and store and where and I couldn't care less that Google knows which sites I've been on and will try to serve me ads based on that.  That is the price of free software and services.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 48 of 51
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    I keep getting in discussions about how Apple has fallen behind Samsung. Samsung has waterproofing, curved displays, NFC that can be used in any store etc., etc. I have only ever used an iPhone, so I don't have the perspective others here may have who currently own a new Galaxy S7. Those I am having these discussions with always end up with, "Well, I think I'm ready to try a new Samsung, they seem to have so much more to offer than Apple. Apple is falling behind, only slight iterations from year to year. Nothing truly new and exciting" I'm not even sure how to respond anymore. Not that Apple needs defending, but can someone tell me their thoughts about how they feel about the Samsung Galaxy as opposed to an iPhone? Not looking for an argument here, just some truly good comparison information from a day to day user, since I don't use a Samsung phone. Thanks.
    Here's one of the articles that helped me see beyond marketing! Please enjoy ;)

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2011/08/23/samsungs-digital-picture-frame-was-no-ipad/
  • Reply 49 of 51
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member

sog35 said:
    ireland said:
    I disagree with this. And although I've seen those labs tests my nephew drop his iPhone 6s until an 8" puddle and it never worked right after.
    The phone was probably broken from the drop more than the water. 

Scientific test has shown the iPhone can withstand being fully dipped into water.

Sorry but my cousins, friends, aunties, former boy friend dropped his S7 into a puddle and it broke also.
    8"of puddle? Gosh!
    An ex-cowrker's wife dropped hers in the toilet. Works mostly ok now ;)
  • Reply 50 of 51
    sog35 said:
    stemlluk said:
    In our house, we have two iPhones (a 5 and a 6s), two iPads (a 1 and a 2) and a Nexus 7.  We also have a mix of Windows and OSX PCs.

I have yet to find anything that I cannot do on the Nexus that I can do on the iPads (ignoring things like iOS/OSX synching and so on).  I can run all the apps that I want, play music, watch video, browse the web, write documents and manage my emails.  There a couple of things that the Nexus does (like Dashlane completing passwords) that iOS cannot but nothing that is a deal breaker either way.  Obviously, some people will have specific needs that only one of the platforms will support but they are in the minority, most things are possible on both.

Personally, I prefer iOS but I suspect that that is mostly down to familiarity.  I have had iOS devices for a lot of years and the Nexus for about 6 months.  Had I had Android devices first I expect I's prefer Android.  Switching is as much about how you can handle and accept change and relearning as it is about the quality of the UI.

In all honesty from a UI perspective there is nothing really to choose between them, they go about things in different ways and some will prefer one over the other (as I said above, I personally prefer iOS).  The only reason I can see for the "hatred" you see all over forums is down to some people's need to take sides in an argument just for the sake of taking sides.  I'm also convinced that for some, it's a need to justify the amount of money they have just spent.  Some seem to have an irrational dislike of anything to do with Steve Jobs or his successors while others have an equally irrational distrust of anything related to Google.

The two platforms are not chalk and cheese, they are so close (and getting closer each iteration).  Some of it may come down to how much you perceive your needs for privacy and security and how you see the two platforms in this respect.  I appreciate the importance but I am careful with what I enter and store and where and I couldn't care less that Google knows which sites I've been on and will try to serve me ads based on that.  That is the price of free software and services.
    You are comparing a brand new Nexus with a 5 year old iPad............LOL.

Next you should try comparing an iPad Pro with a 5 year old Android tablet.

I think you'll find I was comparing software not hardware and in all cases (excluding the iPad 1) the software in question is less than 1 year old.