Days after Apple Watch's $50 price cut, competitor Pebble lays off 25% of staff

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Affordable smartwatch maker and wearable device pioneer Pebble announced on Wednesday that it is laying off 25 percent of its staff this week, citing difficulty raising capital in Silicon Valley.

Pebble CEO Eric Migicovsky said in an interview with Tech Insider that Pebble will reduce its workforce by 40 employees, as it is planning a "careful" approach to the next year. He also revealed that the company raised $26 million over the last eight months.

The announcement comes just two days after Apple announced it has cut the entry price of its own wearable, the Apple Watch, to $299. Both the 38- and 42-millimeter entry-level Sport models are now $50 cheaper than their launch prices.

The price reduction also puts the Apple Watch closer to Pebble's territory, as the company has generally targeted users looking for more affordable wearables. The company's most expensive model is the Pebble Time Steel, starting at $249.99, while its popular "Classic" model is just $99.99.

Migicovsky claimed last November that the launch of the Apple Watch in 2015 had helped to raise awareness for wearable devices and actually resulted in an increase of Pebble sales.

Prior to Apple's entry, the wearable devices market was small. Estimates pegged total 2014 smartwatch sales at just 6.8 million units, with an average selling price of $189.

Citing competitive reasons, Apple has declined to reveal specific sales figures for the Apple Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    LOL...
    Pebble watches look like $10 pieces in convenient stores, all garbages.
    bdkennedy1002radarthekatmagman1979
  • Reply 2 of 25
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Surprise!

(Not.)
  • Reply 3 of 25
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    For about 30 seconds I thought the three watches in the photo were Apple watches.
    cali1983bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 4 of 25
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member

Pebble CEO Eric Migicovsky said in an interview with Tech Insider that Pebble will reduce its workforce by 40 employees, as it is planning a "careful" approach to the next year. He also revealed that the company raised $26 million over the last eight months.
    Part of the problem is with these companies always "raising money" instead of earning it.  I understand it takes money to take an idea and bring it to fruition, but they don't seem so good at business and creating something sustainable.  I wouldn't have guessed that company that has been in this a few years is still so delicate. I note that their most expensive watch is $249 with a metal link band.  That is less than the cost of an Apple metal link band with no watch.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 25
    They should be more concerned about the design/quality. They look like they should be sold in gas stations.
    magman1979brakkennolamacguypscooter63jahbladetdknox
  • Reply 6 of 25
    felixerfelixer Posts: 34member
    More and more, Apple's "precision engineering" of all types of materials is what is setting them apart from competitors. Now, and on into the foreseeable future. 
    jahbladekevin kee
  • Reply 7 of 25
    bdkennedy said:
    They should be more concerned about the design/quality. They look like they should be sold in gas stations.
    I chose the Apple Watch over the Gen 2 Steel simply because the design took a step back from the original, which looked perfectly at home in the board and conference rooms I spend my workday in. The Gen 2, on the other hand, looked like something a young Millennial would wear, and that black bezel around the watch face is just enormous. I'm not going to dump on them because Pebble is really the first company that proved there was a marketable interest in smart watches, and people losing their jobs is never something to be celebrated frankly.  
    waverboy
  • Reply 8 of 25
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Seems like those jobs should never have existed in tne first place.  The Smartwatch is a paradigm shift that requires a robust ecosystem, yet Pebble and others took a shot at the market while fully aware that Apple would eventually step in.  That's a recipe for a one-hit wonder, and that's just what Pebble is.  In three years either they simply won't exist or they'll have radically pivoted away from the smartwatch market.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    felixer said:
    More and more, Apple's "precision engineering" of all types of materials is what is setting them apart from competitors. Now, and on into the foreseeable future. 
    Agreed. I also agree with the previous poster about not liking people being laid off. I think I have this right, 300,000 jobs were created last December. 5,400,000 "new" jobs were created and 5,100,000 "old" jobs were destroyed for a net of the 300,000 new jobs. Where the 40 Pebble jobs fall into that, I don't know.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The timing on this could be coincidental. From what I've heard, their new models haven't been selling all that well anyway.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    A computer on the wrist is a very compelling device. More convenient than a cell phone and far easier to carry. 

That being said, size and battery life constraints are far more limiting. 

Apple has far more engineering and technical expertise in manufacturing such a device than anyone else in the industry. And the S series CPU is the key. No one else will be able to compete over the long term. Especially when Apple moves the CPU onto TSMC's state of the art manufacturing processes. No one else will be able to compete with TSMC's 16 nm FinFet built with the Integrated fan out process. It would seem like a logical conclusion that Apple will release the S2 built on the process. The capabilities of such a watch will be much greater than the current Apple Watch. 

Pebble, Fitbit, Tag Heuer and like won't be able to compete. Intel's current mobile CPUs are not competitive not to mention a diminutive CPU for a smartwatch. 

Even Samsung is going to have trouble over the long term and they make the best smartwatch outside of Apple. 

Losing jobs is always painful, but logic would have helped to see this coming. If Apple is taking nearly all of the profits in mobile and making things difficult for companies like Google and Samsung, there was little Pebble could do to compete in smartwatches. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 12 of 25
    I've never heard anyone say Pebble watches are a failure. Just the AppleWatch. Maybe Apple should be the company laying off 25% of its staff..... /s
  • Reply 13 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    bdkennedy said:
    They should ditch the square Pebble models but the round model looks quite nice:

It's a tough sell at $179-199 with the Watch at $299 because it has no touch interface, poor quality display and it's missing or lacking in some of the big features of the Watch like payments and fitness.

They'd probably be better off if a traditional digital watch manufacturer bought them out and put some investment into refining the Pebble Time Round. A team of 120 employees with a few tens of millions of dollars of investment is going to find it hard going up against Apple making over $1b every quarter from their watch. Swatch, Casio and Timex don't have much in the way of smartwatches, Swatch's one looks ridiculous:

They even use the Swiss-made label on it like that's supposed to convince people to buy that monstrosity. It has touch input, payments and some sports tracking though. If they bought out Pebble, put the touch input on it and other features, put their marketing behind it, Pebble would survive a lot longer than them going it alone. Timex is probably a better fit for their style. I think they'd be better under the framework of a bigger brand so that they can lower costs of manufacturing and get their marketing behind them. Without that, the sales will just keep falling and their profits won't sustain their staff levels. Timex has over 5000 employees so could easily support this operation, Pebble would just need to contact someone who deals with mergers e.g:

http://www.timexgroup.com/profile/executive-leadership/ryan-roth.html
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryan-roth-153bb37
  • Reply 14 of 25
    In my opinion, wearables are meant to be activity trackers, and I think Microsoft, Fitbit and Garmin have many reasonably priced devices that do the job perfectly compared to Apple watch. I am so in the Apple ecosystem, but still feel Apple Watch is still over-priced for an electronic device, and I can't see it replacing an elegant classic or complex Swiss timepiece.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    profprof Posts: 84member
    It's a tough sell at $179-199 with the Watch at $299 because it has no touch interface, poor quality display and it's missing or lacking in some of the big features of the Watch like payments and fitness.
    I could not agree any less to what you've said. I've both the old Pebble Steel and the new Pebble Time Steel and they're the best smartwatches money can buy if you put the focus on watch rather than smart, and many people do. Just because Apple managed to get the touch interface halfway right doesn't mean it's a good idea, in fact it's rather terrible but Apple probably had to meet the expectations and speculations to some degree and compromise on that. The display is great because it is always on, again: good for people who like real watches. The killer feature is the runtime without recharching: my Time Steel I'm lasts around 12 days, you have no idea what you're missing if you're not really a watch wearer and/or have never tried it... Features are pretty good, too. Apple Pay on the Watch is pretty useless because it requires an iPhone in reach, too. I might as well wave my wallet (you've heard about contactless payment, right?) or in the near future my Kerv ring... Fitness really depends on what you're looking at; for some even the Watch lacks a lot of sensors other devices have; personally I'm totally fine with just the step counter in my Pebble.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    Time to play "Taps"
    applepieguy
  • Reply 17 of 25
    kmareikmarei Posts: 179member
    Yes the pebbles screen doesn't look as nice as the apple watch
     But the pebble can last a full working week on one charge
    i'd like to see anyone with an apple watch last half that long

just because they compete with apple
    that doesn't mean they suck
    they were after a different kind of user
    ive owned both, and the pleasure of not having to charge the damn thing every day was pretty good
  • Reply 18 of 25
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    fallenjt said:
    LOL...
    fallenjt said:
    LOL...
    I shop in better convenience stores LOL LOL LOL
  • Reply 19 of 25
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Its sad to see a pioneer of the smartwatch industry fall from grace. But inevitable unfortunately.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    oakieoakie Posts: 35member
    if Eric Migicovsky is seriously confused as to why Silicon Valley investors are no longer investing in him, let's lay out the facts: he began over 4 years ago on kickstarter, preselling a metric buttload of their $99 "Classic" for $140 and up, claiming they would retail for $200+. instead of shipping these kickstarter presales, he diverted the majority to fulfilling a Best Buy order that occurred once they saw the popularity. even worse, they were then being sold at retail for $150. hilarity ensues amongst kickstarter "backers." after 2 years, entries from Samsung and other Android manufacturers convinced him to make a metal one, a round one, a metal round one and a "premium" one. despite having had a hand in making Blackberry's failed smartwatch many moons ago, a 2 year head start on the Android market alone, promotion from every tech oriented website on earth and nearly 5 years after launching their original kickstarter presale, Eric Migicovsky has failed to create enough profit to make the business self-sustaining. where have the profits gone? don't say "invested in new products" when your every model was launched using funds from kickstarter presales. gee, i wonder why investors aren't clamoring to send money his way?
    pscooter63macky the macky