Google Maps for iOS adds ride services tab, Spotlight search & more

Posted:
in iPhone
Google on Wednesday issued another update to the Google Maps iOS app, most notably adding a dedicated tab for people wanting to travel via ridesharing services.

As long as a person has matching apps installed, selecting the tab will present a range of service options. These currently include Uber and various regional companies, namely 99Taxis, Ola, Hailo, mytaxi, and Gett. Significantly absent is Lyft, the next-most popular service in the U.S. after Uber.

Each option includes an estimated pick-up time and fare. Where a company has multiple ride tiers, these will also appear -- Uber riders, for example, can pick between options like uberX, uberXL, uberBLACK, and uberSELECT. Ride services will also sometimes be displayed when opting for walking or public transit directions. Once a service is chosen, the appropriate app will launch.

Elsewhere, Google Maps has been integrated into iOS 9's Spotlight search, meaning that people can search for recent or saved destinations. Users can also finally save standard route options, such as avoiding tolls when driving. Previously, users would have to set these options for every trip.

Google Maps is a free download, and runs on any device with iOS 7 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Don't feed the monster, use Apple Maps!
    Herbivore2diplication
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    I'll use what's best and right now it's Google Maps.
    kooppt123
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Sorry Google. Not interested. I will continue using Apple maps as will the vast majority of users on iOS who won't care to take the time to install Google maps. 

I won't install spyware on my phone. 
    diplication
  • Reply 4 of 8
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Sorry Google. Not interested. I will continue using Apple maps as will the vast majority of users on iOS who won't care to take the time to install Google maps. 

Apple doesn't allow spyware in the app store 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Seems Google is starting to feel Apple is divorcing from them.
    PRetty sure Google know what's coming and trying to mitigate it.
    jony0badmonk
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member

Apple doesn't allow spyware in the app store 
    Who mentioned the App store, everything Google goes through their servers, whether you use one of their apps of though the web, that's where the info is also stored, nothing to do with Apple and very much out of their control.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I am a total Apple fanboy, and I keep trying to use maps, but Google maps is lightyears ahead of Maps.  They both have their problems, but Google less.  
    pt123
  • Reply 8 of 8

If I didn't want to get where I was going and didn't mind an unclear map in the process I would  :D

Apple Maps is completely useless still in London, its so embarrassing but Google is in a different league still.