Who would actually use the selfie flash on a 9.7" iPad Pro?

Posted:
in iPad
The most surprising feature of Apple's new, smaller iPad Pro isn't the underclocked CPU or the unexpectedly excellent 4K-capable rear camera. No -- the most astonishing addition is Retina Flash.

For the uninitiated, Retina Flash is Apple's answer to the age-old question "how can I make my selfies in the club look better?" Rather than add another component -- an LED flash -- to the front side of the iPhone, Apple instead cranks the display up to 11 when you're in selfie mode.

Much ado was made of this feature when it was introduced in the iPhone 6s, and for good reason; it actually works quite well. It even samples the light in the room and adjusts the color of the display to compensate, just like the True Tone flash on the back.

But the iPad Pro isn't a phone. It's an iPad.

Since the iPad first evolved into a camera-toting organism, those who use them to take photos have been nearly universally ridiculed. Countless photos of concert crowds holding smartphones aloft center on that one guy holding up his iPad like the bat signal, ruining the view for everyone behind him.

So why does this monument to photographic failure merit a 5-megapixel FaceTime camera with Retina Flash? We're honestly not sure.

Some might accuse Apple of pandering to Asian markets, home to some of the worst breakers of the tablet photo taboo. Others may simply say, "well why not?"

We offer a more mundane idea: some of the technology used in the Retina Flash's ambient color matching may cross with that used for the iPad Pro's True Tone display. If that necessitates use of the same display driver found in the iPhone 6s, then Retina Flash may come more-or-less for free on the new iPad Pro.

This doesn't mean you should use it, though.

It's true that the best camera is the one you have with you -- so make sure you have something other than an iPad, or you could be the subject of the next concert fail photo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Just because it has it does not mean I will use it.  To each his own.
    wetlanderjensonbtallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 29

We're honestly not sure.

Therefore, you ridicule those that do?
    calijensonbjony0cash907censorednotnerd
  • Reply 3 of 29
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Answer: Asian Tourists ;)
  • Reply 4 of 29
    I suppose it could be used in a pop up photo booth at a party?
    calinotnerd
  • Reply 5 of 29
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I don't see the problem with it. Just like the iPad is good for FaceTime why wouldn't that extend to selfies? 
    calijensonbjony0notnerdMcnaugha2
  • Reply 6 of 29
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    If you're going to take a selfie with retina flash, you should use the best device for that. The iPad Pro 9.7 has the largest display and can put out the biggest flash of light. If you're using your phone for selfies at home on the couch, you're doing it wrong. I know the article was tongue in cheek, but it was just dumb, somewhat insulting, and just a waist of time. Sorry I read it. 
    iosenthusiastnotnerd
  • Reply 7 of 29
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Unrelated, but I wonder if Apple might consider sampling the white balance in the room from the front-facing camera, and adjust the tone of the display accordingly (similar to Night Shift).
    cali
  • Reply 8 of 29
    You know what that flash would be great for is document scanning... but then you can't see what you are scanning. I would love to see impromptu document scanning made better, though. regular flash is too close, shadows are caused by device unless lighting and angle is perfect. It would have to be that camera in the display thing... and have a display on the back. :P 
    cali
  • Reply 9 of 29
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Who cares?
    jensonbcash907censoredMcnaugha2urahara
  • Reply 10 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Unrelated, but I wonder if Apple might consider sampling the white balance in the room from the front-facing camera, and adjust the tone of the display accordingly (similar to Night Shift).
    Huh?! Isn't that what they just announced as "True Tone"? Made a pretty big deal about it at the event.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Therefore, you ridicule those that do?
    Yep. Not all behaviors are acceptable. Relativism is insanity. If people do stupid or outlandish things, they should be called out on them.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    What is the point in this article exactly? You don't like the idea of doing something so therefore it's worth writing an article basically implying anyone who disagrees with you is a moron?

Plenty of people will make use of this feature. Did you just forget that Photo Booth is popular? People like a selfie cam, they like taking pictures of themselves and they will like a feature that lets them take better ones. I don't really take selfies, so I won't be getting much if any use out of this, but I know plenty of people will and I really don't see what's wrong with that. A big screen is actually really useful for taking pictures, especially selfies.

If you think it's silly, don't use it. Don't go on your website and post a worthless editorial decrying those who disagree. it doesn't make you look thoughtful or edgy, it makes you look like assholes.
    edited March 2016 notnerdMcnaugha2urahara
  • Reply 13 of 29
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Uh, would you actually use an iMac or MacBook to take a selfie using Photo Booth, which also uses the display as a flash? Yes, of course and I'm sure many people do. So why not on an iPad too? I can definitely understand the backlash of holding up an iPad at a concert blocking someone's view, but don't equate that with using the iPad's camera for other purposes. It might also seem dumb to carry around your iPad just to take photos, but if it's already on you, I don't see why that would be so bad.
    notnerdjensonb
  • Reply 14 of 29

This article should be titled, "We don't like people that do things that are different than us, and while being mildly racist, we are going to talk down to others."

Selfies are a thing, a big thing.

Mcnaugha2
  • Reply 15 of 29
    notnerd said:

...while being mildly racist...

Learn what racism is.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Wow... What a dumb article... The Retina Flash doesn't even apply to concert filming. People might take selfies at home with their iPad. Selfies don't have to be done out and about. The iPad screen is probably great for selfies. My Air 2 takes such grainy selfies because of the low light in my living room. I'm not upgrading to the Pro just for the Retina Flash though.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    AI - give us a fk'n break! This isn't even worth posting as an "article". Who is the editor that let this pass? If you are sitting at home or wherever and your phone isn't handy but your iPad is in hand, why in the world wouldn't you use your iPad to take a selfie? This whole piece is ridiculous and a waste of everyone's time.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 18 of 29
    If you're going to take a selfie with retina flash, you should use the best device for that. The iPad Pro 9.7 has the largest display and can put out the biggest flash of light. If you're using your phone for selfies at home on the couch, you're doing it wrong. I know the article was tongue in cheek, but it was just dumb, somewhat insulting, and just a waist of time. Sorry I read it. 
    You should not call anyone else dumb.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    notnerd said:

...while being mildly racist...

Learn what racism is.
    These days racism is considered to be anything that causes the under privileged to have to think. Sadly racism has become a hot button that people like to use when they don't have a rational argument for their behavior.
    tallest skilJanNL
  • Reply 20 of 29
    DCJ0001 said:
    You should not call anyone else dumb.
    Maybe he’s just Gabe Newell.

wizard69 said:
    ...when they don’t have a rational argument for their behavior.
    GASP! But society is responsible for their behavior! It’s what made them [behavior] in the first place! Because society was racist against them!