Apple airs Apple TV ad focusing on Siri voice control, Apple Music

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple on Thursday shared a new Apple TV ad highlighting the fourth-generation set-top's Siri voice control functionality, deep content search and Apple Music integration.

Titled "The Kiss," Apple's latest ad stars Nikolaj Coster-Waldau ("Game of Thrones") and Alison Brie ("Community," "Mad Men"), who open the minute-long spot locked in warm embrace, music swelling. The romance abruptly ends as the camera pans out to show the two are in what appears to be a movie set trailer.

Brie, it turns out, is studying Coster-Waldau's performance in "1,000 Time Good Night" on Apple TV in preparation for an upcoming scene. She presses pause on Siri Remote and proceeds to ask a series of technical questions in a vain attempt at understanding the nuance of Coster-Waldau's onscreen chemistry with Juliette Binoche. When Brie asks Siri to play "Game of Thrones" Coster-Waldau quickly protests -- his character Jaime Lannister has a love interest that is not what one would call kosher.

Showing the audience his version of stagecraft, Coster-Waldau grabs the remote from Brie and asks Siri to play some Jeremih to get the pair in the mood, humorously cooing along to the singer's dulcet tones.

The fourth-generation Apple TV was announced in September prior to retail availability a month later. Apple's latest set-top boasts Siri integration, the touchpad- and microphone-toting Siri remote, a full-fledged App Store, onboard storage and powerful internals running the all-new tvOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Sorry fans but Siri on Apple TV is a nightmare.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    Saw the commercial on YouTube, and had no idea who the guy was, had no idea who the girl was, didn't understand the references, and thought the ending was weird. I usually like Apple's commercials. 

Everything went straight over my head. Can you tell I don't watch tv much at all?
    bloodstainsjony0
  • Reply 3 of 14
    xmhillx said:
    Saw the commercial on YouTube, and had no idea who the guy was, had no idea who the girl was, didn't understand the references, and thought the ending was weird. I usually like Apple's commercials. 

Everything went straight over my head. Can you tell I don't watch tv much at all?
    These come to mind: 

fastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 14
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    This is a fantastic ad!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Hilarious!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    xmhillx said:

http://www.theonion.com/article/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel-429
  • Reply 7 of 14
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    cali said:
    yes, it's absolute shit!
    I've recently used that Amazon bluetooth speaker device thingie where you can talk to, and it works much better than Siri. 
  • Reply 8 of 14
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    That one was even worse than the Cookie Monster, which seemed like a 5 minute commercial due to the interminable "Time In a Bottle", which must be 30 minutes at its full length.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    dacloo said:
    cali said:
    yes, it's absolute shit!
    I've recently used that Amazon bluetooth speaker device thingie where you can talk to, and it works much better than Siri. 
    The weird thing is, Siri seems a lot dumber than iOS Siri, like it's a completely different program.

sometimes simple requests like "Search The Hunger Games" will return "Sorry I can't search the web" and asking to rewind while the pull-down menu is open will return "I can't seem to do that in youtube[or X program] right now".

Once my little niece in frustration yelled "SPONGEBOB!!" And it read "Fuck Bitch" "yeah I wish I had a mute button too". Luckily she's only 4 and can't read yet.

A lot of times I get a sarcastic answer when I'm not in the mood and it's just frustrating. Try searches with the word "girl" in it.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    jonl said:
    That one was even worse than the Cookie Monster, which seemed like a 5 minute commercial due to the interminable "Time In a Bottle", which must be 30 minutes at its full length.
    I loved the Cookie Monster one. That's my kind of humor. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    hejazzman said:
    xmhillx said:

These come to mind: 

Oh shit that first one was hilarious lol. That happens all the time with someone I know.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    xmhillx said:

http://www.theonion.com/article/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel-429
    Ah f-ck, that's me in 10-15 years. 
  • Reply 13 of 14

Latest AppleTV update totally rocks!
    More power to cord cutters!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I have had zero problems with using Siri on AppleTV. She always finds what I am looking for. I ask her to find a TV show - found! I ask for her to find the star of a talk show, like john oliver - found. She always works fine for me. And I live in New England with our mixed accents!!