Hands on: Apple takes aim at PC users with 9.7" iPad Pro

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    What was the tagline Apple used for the new iPad? I'd watch the keynote again but I'm too tired
  • Reply 62 of 65
    jzonejzone Posts: 2member
    appex said:
    You need a full computer like Mac (tablet, clamshell, desktop, etc) to beat a full computer like Windows.
    This is true! Just chuckling to myself at the people who disliked this comment hahahaha. Apple has found a way to sell consumption as production. Sure there is some productivity improvements but let's face it, ios needs to become osx on ipad before you can compare. Everyday users don't have much to "learn" when it comes to ipad, heck a child can do it. But when you are using multiple secure systems that are communicating with a Linux or nt system like the big boy companies need, and all this has to happen fast, all I can say is "can I please have my laptop back?! Or can I use my surface please without having to sign my surface over to my great big company? The answer is no:( working for an employer that is in bed with apple and not keeping options open for field personnel is often frusterating. 
    AI2xxxcnocbui
  • Reply 63 of 65
    jzone said:
    appex said:
    You need a full computer like Mac (tablet, clamshell, desktop, etc) to beat a full computer like Windows.
    This is true! Just chuckling to myself at the people who disliked this comment hahahaha. Apple has found a way to sell consumption as production. Sure there is some productivity improvements but let's face it, ios needs to become osx on ipad before you can compare. Everyday users don't have much to "learn" when it comes to ipad, heck a child can do it. But when you are using multiple secure systems that are communicating with a Linux or nt system like the big boy companies need, and all this has to happen fast, all I can say is "can I please have my laptop back?! Or can I use my surface please without having to sign my surface over to my great big company? The answer is no:( working for an employer that is in bed with apple and not keeping options open for field personnel is often frusterating. 
    I think that with the appification evolution generic software, like Word or Excel, starts to become less and less important. As a psychologist I used Word to write my notes in the dossier of my clients, nowadays I do this in dedicated software, friendly put in an app. Also for my financial stuff I don't use Excel anymore, again an app has taken over. Windows/Surface (and the Mac) is more practical to do generic stuff, while the Ipad is about apps. So the Ipad will be gaining more footprint in the corporate world just because of this evolution of the software world we work in. 
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 64 of 65
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    jzone said:
    appex said:
    iPad doesn't need to be the end-all, be-all to be better at what it does. 

I have a Mac for teaching, sound design, and studio work, and I have an iPad for control/synth editing/stage remote/sheet music archive/set list management. 

The iPad is infinitely better at those things than the Mac is, by virtue of being a tablet. I don't consider any of that "consumption". It's work. Actual, real, paid-for, bona fide work. Does that make it a better machine? Ummm, well...yeah. And nope. Dumb question. It makes it better at what I bought it for.

The debate over whether an iPad can "beat" a Surface at being a hybrid legacy/tablet computer is ridiculous. The iPad is better at being a tablet than Surface is, partly because of the compromises Microsoft had to make to build their portmanteau machine. It is worse at being a legacy-style desktop computer because, well, that's simply not what it is. 

The funny thing to me is that the iPad has become my default computer - it's what I use for everything, and I only break out the Mac for the things I can't do, or can't do as well, on the iPad. 

So the point doesn't seem to me "consumption vs. production" - that's a red herring, designed solely to discredit the platform. It's actually "what does an average user need that can't be done on an iPad?"