Cost of out-of-warranty Apple Watch Sport repairs drops to $199

Posted:
in Apple Watch
As of this week, the Apple Watch is not only cheaper to buy, but also to repair in the event that it's broken without an AppleCare+ warranty, with a new cost of $199 per incident.

Previously, it cost $229 to repair the Apple Watch Sport when the unit is out of warranty. Battery service for an out-of-warranty unit runs $79.

Repair pricing is unchanged for repairs of the stainless steel Apple Watch ($329) and the gold Apple Watch Edition ($2,800). The warranty cost changes were spotlighted on Friday by MacRumors.

U.S. AppleCare+ warranty plans are typically $49 for the Sport, $59 for the mid-tier Watch, and $1,500 for the Edition. Apple also sells plans that cover both a Watch and an iPhone, which are priced at $149, $169, and $1,600 depending on the model.

The combo plans can apply to undamaged iPhones up to six months old, whereas a regular AppleCare+ iPhone plan forces buyers to pick up coverage within 60 days.

The Sport and steel Watch AppleCare+ plans extend warranties to two years, while the Edition plan extends coverage to three. These also sharply reduce the cost of accidental damage, lowering service fees to $69, $79, or $1,000, depending on the model. AppleCare+ subscribers can also get Express Replacement at no extra charge -- Apple will send a package to return the original Watch, and ship out a replacement unit in two to three business days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    lmagoolmagoo Posts: 49member
    It kills me how Apple can be so greedy!! Really it costs NO DIFFERENCE to work on a Aluminum watch Stainless or pure Gold...Why should the case material determine the repair costs are??? Because they can and people are stupid enough to pay them!!!!
    abedosscnocbui
  • Reply 2 of 18
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    lmagoo said:
    It kills me how Apple can be so greedy!! Really it costs NO DIFFERENCE to work on a Aluminum watch Stainless or pure Gold...Why should the case material determine the repair costs are??? Because they can and people are stupid enough to pay them!!!!
    While I generally agree with you on the greed, isn't the case covered for repair?
    abedosscornchipnetmage
  • Reply 3 of 18
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    lmagoo said:
    Most of these repairs are actually replacements for items damaged by the user, Care+ is a mix of insurance and warranty extension. And the insurance part is calculated based on the item price. Pretty normal. And in many parts of the world, those with mandatory 24 months implied warranty, you really do not need either unless you damage things all the time.
    abedosspmzbaconstangnostrathomasredgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 18
    abedossabedoss Posts: 14member
    I think price drops in current gen Watch and warranty means Watch 2 is comming soon.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 18
    329.00 is a brutal insult to fix something that is a widespread problem I got along without my watch for 50 years. "Watch" me get along with out it now rather than submit to your price gouging despicable greed. 
  • Reply 6 of 18
    dbloodgd said:
    329.00 is a brutal insult to fix something that is a widespread problem I got along without my watch for 50 years. "Watch" me get along with out it now rather than submit to your price gouging despicable greed. 
    Has anyone ever known/interacted with a 1-poster and have deeper insight to share with us into what they think they're accomplishing with their nonsense?  I genuinely wonder...
    JanNLbaconstangroundaboutnowargonautnolamacguynetmageredgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    larrya said:
    lmagoo said:
    While I generally agree with you on the greed, isn't the case covered for repair?
    And probably the sapphire screen cover also…
    baconstangnolamacguynetmageredgeminipa
  • Reply 8 of 18
    So repair it for 200, or buy a new one for 50 bucks more. Tough choice there, which I'm assuming is the point. 
    tomkarl
  • Reply 9 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    lmagoo said:
    Ask that same question to a Rolex dealer / repair establishment.  They charge $500 just to look at my watch, then it's parts and labor on top if anything is amiss.  Inside is just a watch after all.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 10 of 18
    The iPhone 6+ Safari does not show comments anymore but all other browsers do. 
  • Reply 11 of 18
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    dbloodgd said:
    Sad that you spent all that 50 year of repressed rage against the capitalist pigs (sic) on us who don't care which side of the bed you piss on, instead of committing ritual suicide inside a IKEA, McDonald or even Apple store with a giant saber/dildo shaped liked Uncle Sam. Were is your sense of theater and drama.
    edited March 2016 nolamacguynostrathomas
  • Reply 12 of 18
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mars123 said:
    Ask that same question to a Rolex dealer / repair establishment.  They charge $500 just to look at my watch, then it's parts and labor on top if anything is amiss.  Inside is just a watch after all.
    I hope you are not comparing a rolex to an apple watch. One is a beautiful time piece, other is a pocket calculator. 
    One is overwrought expensive piece of yuppie bling with one function and the other is something that does a dozen useful things at 1/20 the price, and looks good doing it.
    nolamacguynetmage
  • Reply 13 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    mars123 said:
    I hope you are not comparing a rolex to an apple watch. One is a beautiful time piece, other is a pocket calculator. 
    Well I admit I prefer my Rolex and haven't yet bought an Watch.  It's the first ever Apple hardware I have not bought since the Apple ][.  That said, if Apple eventually come out with a Mk. II that's thinner I might be tempted.  To be fair I don't think it is a pocket calculator, especially with the newer health monitoring features coming on line.  At my age I'm not so interested in its sporting capability checking my pulse rate, but I am pretty interested in an app that checks I still have a one!  ;)
    argonautwonkothesane
  • Reply 14 of 18
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    toysandme said:
    The iPhone 6+ Safari does not show comments anymore but all other browsers do. 
    if using 1Blocker be sure to disable the new comment blocker feature. 
  • Reply 15 of 18
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mars123 said:
    Well I admit I prefer my Rolex and haven't yet bought an Watch.  It's the first ever Apple hardware I have not bought since the Apple ][.  That said, if Apple eventually come out with a Mk. II that's thinner I might be tempted.  To be fair I don't think it is a pocket calculator, especially with the newer health monitoring features coming on line.  At my age I'm not so interested in its sporting capability checking my pulse rate, but I am pretty interested in an app that checks I still have a one!  ;)
    funny thing is AW is thinner than the Rolex fakes my friends have, so I'm guessing it's thinner than actual rolexes too.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    lmagoo said:
    "...stupid..."? It's interesting to me that so many people think they are smart enough to decide how others should spend their money. (Sorry to be so harsh.)
    netmage
  • Reply 17 of 18
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    lmagoo said:
    Replacing a steel case or a sapphire screen costs the same as replacing an aluminum case and gorilla glass? Let alone gold? 

You must be fabulously wealthy if your world works like that.