New iPhone model with curved glass case, 5.8" AMOLED display due in 2017, insider says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    Give me a cell that doesn't break easily and has some sort of grip. give me a model that doesn't require a case.
    THOSE are important issues with consumers.
    ireland
  • Reply 22 of 74
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Bs, rumors to kill buzz for iphone 7. Another lowlife tactic of the competition.
    mejsricnolamacguy
  • Reply 23 of 74
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Forget curved give me water proof capabilities.
    Joashirelandcnocbuinolamacguy
  • Reply 24 of 74
    Way past time to end the "tic tock" cycle. It has been a barrier to upgrading as owners of the first model of the cycle decide not to move on since " nothing has changed."  Even the sales slogan for the 6s model acknowledges that-- ("...nothing has changed but everything"). And why shouldn't this model described by MCQ (who has been eerily accurate to date) not include other features as well, such as waterproofing, for instance?  I say bring it on , Jony. My finger is on the Touch ID ring right now. 
  • Reply 25 of 74
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Face recognition is the term used to describe the process of identifying a specific person, such as from a database of known persons (no fly list, for example).  This is face recognition.

There's also face detection, which is the process of detecting the elements of a human face within a scene.  This is typically a precursor to application of face recognition algorithms, used to identify the owner of a face in a scene.

Then there's facial recognition, which is the process of detecting specific facial expressions (smiling, frowning, sadness, etc).  This term is often used in the medical world to characterize specific inabilities of patients to recognize meaning in human faces.  Or, I suppose, one could use the term facial recognition to mean the detection of someone who has recently come from a spa treatment appointment.  (Kidding.)

Folks who incorrectly use the term facial recognition will find themselves finally corrected once Apple introduces some form of face detection and face recognition on stage in a product introduction.  Until that day I'm afraid folks will continue to use the wrong term to describe face recognition.  

For an authoritative source, don't take my word for it (even though my brother holds some of the early face recognition patents), see

http://www.face-rec.org
    edited March 2016 roakewonkothesanenolamacguyai46
  • Reply 26 of 74
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    levi said:
    Would love to see something similar for the NBA or NFL
    fallenjt said:
    That means there's no design for this Fall...so, we'll see iPhone 6SS instead...interesting if Apple move to 3 years for new design.
    The rumored changes for iP7 seem fairly substantial - dual camera tech, thinner design (approx. 15-20%), no 3.5mm headphone jack, added speaker, fewer antenna lines. This is only what we know of. With the s models not getting the traction of years past, I wonder if Apple won't abandon that cycle completely, and instead focus on more substantial changes on a year by year basis. It seems the Plus models may evolve into a Pro model, with added features and more radical designs.
    You have a point there that Apple may introduce iPhone 6 Pro ( sound stupid?) to differentiate itself from 6+S with your mentioned upgrades. I still think iPhone Pro may be the one in 2017 with 5.8" screen.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    bocboc Posts: 72member
    I detect a securities firm churning the market.
    ireland
  • Reply 28 of 74
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Sorry but this sounds less likely than Taylor Swift asking me out on a date.
    ai46
  • Reply 29 of 74
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    All I know is the following couple things:

1. I'm not sure what features will be in the 2017 iPhone, but I've never been disappointed so far.
    2. I see the doom and gloom about what will happen if Apple does this or Apple does that...  Apple has earned my trust that they will do it right.  Curved glass?  They will make it work.  Dual cameras?  They will make it worthwhile.  No traditional headphone jack?  Somehow, they will make us wonder why we thought the old tech was okay all these years.

Something else that I have realized: with the trust I have developed in Apple products, I no longer worry if they will screw something up.  It's more like I'm a kid wondering what's going to be under the Christmas tree this year.  And with Apple, it's like I've been the good kid every single year!

Apple iPhone 2017.  I don't know what features it's going to have, but I sure as hell know I'm going to buy it!
    edited March 2016 StimulatedBoynolamacguyradarthekat
  • Reply 30 of 74
    Face recognition is the term used to describe the process of identifying a specific person, such as from a database of known persons (no fly list, for example).  This is face recognition.

There's also face detection, which is the process of detecting the elements of a human face within a scene.  This is typically a precursor to application of face recognition algorithms, used to identify the owner of a face in a scene.

Then there's facial recognition, which is the process of detecting specific facial expressions (smiling, frowning, sadness, etc).  This term is often used in the medical world to characterize specific inabilities of patients to recognize meaning in human faces.  Or, I suppose, one could use the term facial recognition to mean the detection of someone who has recently come from a spa treatment appointment.  (Kidding.)

Folks who incorrectly use the term facial recognition will find themselves finally corrected once Apple introduces some form of face detection and face recognition on stage in a product introduction.  Until that day I'm afraid folks will continue to use the wrong term to describe face recognition.  

For an authoritative source, don't take my word for it (even though my brother holds some of the early face recognition patents), see

http://www.face-rec.org
    I honestly have a question; how is that site authoritative?  It looks to be just a couple of random people that have compiled information that they feel is useful.  And it probably IS useful, but that's very different than "authoritative."

I don't disagree with anything you have said (although I would comment that, as a physician, I've never heard the term "facial recognition" used in the context you mentioned).

Still, it's a useful comment.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 31 of 74
    fallenjt said:
    That means there's no design for this Fall...so, we'll see iPhone 6SS instead...interesting if Apple move to 3 years for new design.
    and the sheep will line up by the millions.... 
    o m g it has 2 cameras. I must upgrade my $1000 6S+ to the $1200 7 that looks Just like my 6S.... /s
    if they do a 6Ss, I will buy android. 
    I also don't see how a 5.8" iPhone can sell since apple insists on having the most MASSIVE top and bottom bezels of ANY phone on the market. 
    The phone will be like holding an iPad mini to your head. The 2K 5.7" Note 5 and S7 Edge 2K 5.5" is smaller than the 5.5" iPhone in both Width and Height, and both have better battery life than the 6S+.
    That's funny.  You said in the other of your 2 posts that you were buying the 64mb iPhone SE because the 6-series didn't look like Samsung phones or something.

In any case, sounds like you have Android in your future (and probably in your hand right now).  No worries.  Just means I won't have to stand in line behind you to buy my iPhone.  Cheers!
    edited March 2016 StimulatedBoyirelandnolamacguy
  • Reply 32 of 74
    Hurry Samscum !  Put out a glass phone early 2017 ! 

Has has someone already said that ? I hope not.. 
    StimulatedBoy
  • Reply 33 of 74
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    misa said:
    There's that "curved glass" and "AMOLED" rumor that has been springing up every so often ever since Samsung did it.

No... I don't think it's in apple's best interests

How many things has Apple done in the last few years that were once not in their best interest?
  • Reply 34 of 74
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Was he paid to kill the buying interest in the i7 coming later this year? Looks like he is.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    iPhone Galaxy?
    Joash
  • Reply 36 of 74
    I know their time zone is ahead of us but I didn't know it was 6 days ahead of us. I'll believe that when me shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet.  
    Shenanigans lol
    tallest skilai46
  • Reply 37 of 74
    JoashJoash Posts: 5member
    Wireless charging? Curved glass? AMOLED display? Sounds a lot like Samsung S6 edge... 
    singularityai46
  • Reply 38 of 74
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    So what does this tell us about this fall's iPhone 7 models? It tells us not to expect much. If the only changes are a thinner version  and no headphone jack, then Apple can't possibly expect anyone, including the company's most ardent fans, to get excited about this. 

edited March 2016
  • Reply 39 of 74
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Joash said:
    Wireless charging? Curved glass? AMOLED display? Sounds a lot like Samsung S6 edge... 
    Apple current iphone has curved glass. Apple Watch has contact charging (I hate wireless charging term) and AMOLED...so, what the hell are you talking about? Bringing technology from Apple Watch to iPhone is nothing about Samsung. First 3-D touch, now, other stuffs.
    edited March 2016 ai46iqatedo
  • Reply 40 of 74
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Curved is bullshit, was my first through.. Then I remembering that they call Apple Watch curved. Now, there's absolutely nothing curved with Apple Watch, other than the glass edge. Come to think of it, the iPhone 6 design is sort of curved too. Perhaps it's just another iPhone 6 design. The bigger screen size feels like perhaps the home button is gonna go in favour of a bigger screen.