Apple, other tech companies decry North Carolina anti-LGBT law

Comments

• Reply 81 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Oh, and it's 2016

people have been waiting for the stunning, mind-blowing awesome-terrific-happy replacement that always seems to be just around the corner but forever remains out of reach.
    Uh... almost as though someone would veto it should it come up or something... We only have to wait a couple of months more to see it gone. ewtheckman said:
    Whatever happened to the ideal of journalism being about reporting the news instead of making it?
    There’s this spectacular quote form 1870 or so on this very topic that I thought I have written down and go to post every time someone brings this up but find I never had it. Hope I’m not gas lighting myself. 
    kent909 said:
    No, because it’s complete shit and has fuck all to do with what’s being discussed.
    wizard69 said:
    ...if physical sex isn’t a barrier to entry then anybody can access the woman’s bathroom. I specifically say woman's here because it really seems to be a far bigger concern for woman than men.
    “But the sexes are the same (because I say so!), so they’re obviously at the same risk!”
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 82 of 131
    You can call someone a bigot all you want, but it doesn't make it true. The bigots I see are those who demean honestly held religious beliefs of others with great frequency. 

Using religion as the basis for a position in ANY argument is as weak as it gets, because it doesn't have to have any basis in reality, logic, or justice. Anything written down by an ancient control freak may be presented as Absolute Truth and we're supposed to accept it as more than just the governing bodies of the day (usually a day of profound ignorance) establishing laws the same way we do now because it's somehow sanctioned by an invisible being who is reported to know EVERYTHING, even though there's no possible way anyone could know whether he, she or it does or doesn't, and who cannot be be questioned, queried for clarification or even known? The premise is so ridiculous it wouldn't even make its way into a comic book, yet I'm supposed to RESPECT that approach to matters that actually affect real people in real life?

Don't hold your breath.

I don't know where transgendered people should pee (or even understand why anyone would care), but I sure as hell know the decision should be based on something more reasonable than anyone's religious "beliefs."
    singularitystourque
  • Reply 83 of 131
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    Given the mood lately surrounding Apple being besieged from every concivable angle, their response to your speculation may surprise many. I'd vote for walk away.
  • Reply 84 of 131
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    If the LBGT supports letting a man dress up LIKE a women and walk in on women then your more sick then I could imagine. By the way your DNA says your a man means your a man. Science 101. And slapping some BMW emblems on a Honda does not make it a Honda ask the dmv. Jimmy rigging a toe to look like a worn out vagina aar does not make it a vigina.
    Another person who just had a brain fart. Read the fracking thread, and especially see the photos of trans men (born women), who look like football players who will now be forced to use the women's room and tell me how that will be better (every man just can claim to be a trans men to gain access, no need to "dress up" (sic) at all).

Better get a brain reboot because your failed hard.

BTW, this is a women (by your standards, guess it's really easy to see that hmmmm), guess you're all in for letting that "gal" go in the women's room now.

edited March 2016
  • Reply 85 of 131
    sleakajsleakaj Posts: 32member
    So I see America is still the racist, homophobic, bigoted place it has been for centuries.

Using ridiculously childish terms like "Religious Freedom" to force your narrow-minded, pig-headed views down other people's throats because you can't accept other people might be different from you (or shock horror, might think differently too), sure makes you lot look like bigots.

Glad I don't live there.
    edited March 2016 singularitystourque
  • Reply 86 of 131
    sleakaj said:
    [fallacies and lies]
    Want to have an actual fucking argument, or do you just get off on your false superiority complex?
    designrewtheckman
  • Reply 87 of 131
    sleakaj said:
    [truth and revelations]
    Want to have an actual fucking argument, or do you just get off on your false superiority complex?
    "Religious Freedom" is just another word for terrorism. The goals are the same. Make sure people live by the word of your god.

The only difference is terrorists will do anything for their god, that's the only line you won't cross. Won't cross anymore I should say, that line was cross many times during the Crusades all in the name of your god.

It's funny you don't see how similar religion is to terrorism. Terrorists want you to fall in line with the fear of death being the stick. Religion wants you to fall in line with the fear of hell being the stick. In the end, you're basically the same. Religion had total, unrestrained "Religious Freedom" in the Dark Ages and look where that got us. We're hundreds of year behind where we should be as a species.
    stourque
  • Reply 88 of 131
    sleakaj said:
    "Religious Freedom" is just another word for terrorism.

Won't cross anymore I should say, that line was cross many times during the Crusades all in the name of your god.
    So... you don’t know anything about the Crusades.
    ...Dark Ages... We’re hundreds of year behind where we should be as a species.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

THIS IS WHAT YOU ACTUALLY BELIEVE
    ewtheckman
  • Reply 89 of 131
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    So are Apple and other companies saying that only their opinion matters? Are they better than the voters of North Carolina that wanted this? I thought the left didn't like big business and money in politics?
    Why am I not surprised that someone with a race-supremecist type handle would take this position.
    singularity
  • Reply 90 of 131
    jkichline said:
    So are Apple and other companies saying that only their opinion matters? Are they better than the voters of North Carolina that wanted this? I thought the left didn't like big business and money in politics?
    Their opinion matters in that they can choose to leave and take jobs with them. Apple is concerned about the future. Evidently North Carolina would rather go back to 1956.
    The transgender law passed actually isn't anti-LGBT... All the law did was prevent cities like our very own Charlottesville from passing unconstitutional laws REQUIRING public and private business to make all bathroom transgender (as they were trying to do)... The law, in turn, gives the power back to the public and private business owner to make the decision on whether to have transgender bathrooms or not...

I hope people and the mainstream media would actually READ. Because if Charlotte would have passed its legislation it would have FORCED every business to change their bathrooms... The state defined this as unconstitutional and made a law that gives the power back to the individual business' to make that decision themselves.
    hampytallest skildesignrajiitai
  • Reply 91 of 131
    Tat1992 said:
    I hope people and the mainstream media would actually READ. Because if Charlotte would have passed its legislation it would have FORCED every business to change their bathrooms... The state defined this as unconstitutional and made a law that gives the power back to the individual business' to make that decision themselves.
    How would it have forced anyone to change anything? The state overturned a requirement that allowed trans people to use a certain bathroom. How would allowing that requirement to stand have resulted in changes to the facilities? All that would have changed is who was able to use which of the EXISTING bathrooms, yes? So your argument that the State prevented forced change is incorrect. All it did was prevent forced ACCESS for certain people. That's not at all the same thing.
    stourque
  • Reply 92 of 131
    designr said:
    chasm said:
    Why am I not surprised that someone with a race-supremecist type handle would take this position.
    What makes you assume "the white falcon" is a "a race-supremecist type handle"?

Because of his constant fracking racist views over years, hmm.
    His words kinda give context to the whole thing.
    edited March 2016 singularity
  • Reply 93 of 131
    Tat1992 said:
    jkichline said:
    Their opinion matters in that they can choose to leave and take jobs with them. Apple is concerned about the future. Evidently North Carolina would rather go back to 1956.
    The transgender law passed actually isn't anti-LGBT... All the law did was prevent cities like our very own Charlottesville from passing unconstitutional laws REQUIRING public and private business to make all bathroom transgender (as they were trying to do)... The law, in turn, gives the power back to the public and private business owner to make the decision on whether to have transgender bathrooms or not...

No that's not what the fracking law said, learn to read.
  • Reply 94 of 131
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    A law passed to combat a problem that doesn't exist. It's only pervert conservative politicians who think that transgendered people want to watch other people going to the toilet.
    stourque
  • Reply 95 of 131
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    designr said:
    Corporations are people my friend. And Citizens United makes it perfectly legal and acceptable for corporations to engage in the very thing you are now decrying.
    I think the poster's point (in the last question anyway) was that the left has often been opposed to business and big money in politics. Except, of course, when those business and that big money happens to be supporting what they agree with. There's a hypocrisy in that.
    How is a company making a statement about disagreeing with the actions of some politicians "business and big money in politics"?  Now, if Apple were funneling money into a bill or supporting specific politicians or lobbying heavily ($$)...THAT would mean they were involved in politics.  

A person makes a public statement agreeing or disagreeing with something =/= involved in politics. 

• Reply 96 of 131
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    Just curious 99secondkox2 said:
    The preservation of privacy and morals are paramount here. 

Mono woman or young girl should ever have to see a mans penis in a ladies restroom. EVER. 

and no man should have to deal with the flip side. 

Let's get real here. 

No matter what you "identify" as, male and female are as physically descriptive as can be. Heck we even have male and female connectors in engineering. 

So identify to hear hearts content. But go to the male restroom if you are male. 

Simple. 

Mono father should have to worry about some dude who thinks he's a girl taking a leak next to his daughter or wife. 

Enough is snough. And shame on Apple and others for getting involved. 

Tim wants to be with other dudes. Ok. That's his prerogative. But I bet he uses the right bathroom for crying out loud. 
    Just out of curiosity...why are you staring at dudes penis in the bathroom?  The reason I ask is that I've been using the mens room all my life and I've never seen a man's penis in the restroom.  An women restrooms have stalls.  There isn't much chance of any female running into a random penis if a MTF transgender person uses the women's restroom.  

dasanman69
  • Reply 97 of 131
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    First I have no real problem with someone going to the bathroom with whichever gender they identify.

I can't for the life of me however imagine anyone having attention called them, being arrested and charged for being in the wrong bathroom.

If most people are as claimed in this thread, transitioning and while perhaps not perfectly passable as the opposite gender from which they were born, certain are making efforts in the area in which they identify, how often do you think they are seriously questioned when using the restroom?

I'm 45 years old and never once thought to myself, gee there's a 5'4 man with a slight build but facial hair with some narrow cheekbones, he probably was a woman and wants to touch my junk.

I'm suspecting these have to do with some sort of secondary charges because as others have noted, who goes around patrolling restrooms for gender identity. I mean could it be that someone is raping women but trying to claim they can't rape since they don't identify as male or something of that nature? I mean I have never even read of someone being charged for being in the wrong restroom? Has anyone else?
  • Reply 98 of 131
    sheep stuff.
    If you choose to believe the lies told by the organisation that has systematically hidden the sexual abuse of children and continues to protect the abusers for thousands of years, then by all means, be a good little sheep and continue to ignore the truth.

designr said:

Don't be ridiculous. You've just shown that you don't know what you're talking about. The other possibility is that you're just an anti-religious bigot.

Some of us actually have our eyes open. We know what religion is: Control of the easily duped.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 99 of 131
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    It's not an "anti-LGBT" law, it's a pro-liberty and pro-religious liberty law.  The NC legislature and governor did good.

As for the elephant in the room: If you have a Y chromosome you're a man, damnit, and you have no business using the same restroom that my wife and daughter use!
    designrlinkmantallest skil
  • Reply 100 of 131
    I'm a biological male who doesn't want biological females in the Men's Restroom when I'm using it.  Don't my feelings count for something, too?  

Restrooms are assigned by sex, not by gender.  Gender is open to cultural interpretation, but biological sex is not.  There are serious risks to creating open bathrooms, and hurt feelings isn't one of them.  

Before the most tolerant and open minded people on these boards close their minds and start calling me hateful and bigoted, please note that I am all for equality.  But, we must find a better solution than open restrooms.  
    Too afraid to let your female coworkers hear you blast food spatter and wet farts on your breaks? I think it's more than fair that you share this with both "sexes" equally. It's the best a man can offer his fellow coworkers sharing the communal bathroom bliss.