New iPhone model with curved glass case, 5.8" AMOLED display due in 2017, insider says

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    roake said:
    Face recognition is the term used to describe the process of identifying a specific person, such as from a database of known persons (no fly list, for example).  This is face recognition.

There's also face detection, which is the process of detecting the elements of a human face within a scene.  This is typically a precursor to application of face recognition algorithms, used to identify the owner of a face in a scene.

Then there's facial recognition, which is the process of detecting specific facial expressions (smiling, frowning, sadness, etc).  This term is often used in the medical world to characterize specific inabilities of patients to recognize meaning in human faces.  Or, I suppose, one could use the term facial recognition to mean the detection of someone who has recently come from a spa treatment appointment.  (Kidding.)

Folks who incorrectly use the term facial recognition will find themselves finally corrected once Apple introduces some form of face detection and face recognition on stage in a product introduction.  Until that day I'm afraid folks will continue to use the wrong term to describe face recognition.  

For an authoritative source, don't take my word for it (even though my brother holds some of the early face recognition patents), see

http://www.face-rec.org
    I honestly have a question; how is that site authoritative?  It looks to be just a couple of random people that have compiled information that they feel is useful.  And it probably IS useful, but that's very different than "authoritative."

I don't disagree with anything you have said (although I would comment that, as a physician, I've never heard the term "facial recognition" used in the context you mentioned).

Still, it's a useful comment.

---

That site is useful to the discussion because it references most of the current work being done in the field.  And you need only pursue that body of work - just the titles of the papers referenced - to see that those conversant in the field universally refer to face recognition, with facial recognition being a subset of the process that resides between the face detection and face recognition tasks.

In the medical realm, the condition known as Prosopagnosia can include elements of both the inability to recognize familar faces as well as the inability to recognize facial expressions and emotions.

http://prosopagnosiaresearch.org/index/information
    Fair enough.  For what it's worth, prosopagnosia and other agnosias are extremely rare, certainly not common.  Finding a verifiable case of prosopagnosia would probably warrant a publication in a medical journal, or at least a presentation at a medical conference.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 62 of 74
    ZarkinZarkin Posts: 16member
    Curved glass on the iPhone 6 has resulted in more cracked screens than previous models. Drop one on its corner and bam, whole screen shatters. Fragility isn't exactly a feature I'm interested in. 
    That is the screen itself.  The iPhone 6 is still made from Aluminum alloys.  The article is suggesting the phone itself will be made from glass, or a ceramic derivative.  It can be made quite strong, but the key driver that would make that plausible is if Apple is pursuing improvements in wireless charging.  
  • Reply 63 of 74
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    misa said:
    ksec said:
    May be iPhone 7 ( 2016 ) will be designed with OLED in mind for 2017. As of December 2015, OLED screen on Phones are now cheaper then LCD. And OLED will continue to get cheaper this year and next, due to the way they are fabricated.  OLED has pretty much overcome most of its short comings. Of coz, Apple will know better then us, may be the colouring still isn't as accurate, but for most consumers / prosumers, LED LCD doesn't have an edge anymore.

May be, I am guessing there are difficulties to have 3D touch on OLED.
    OLED's are terrible terrible things. They are designed for, and are only cost effective on the inside of helmets/goggles and things that are meant to be semi-transparant. Hence they are good for AR/VR stuff, but not much else. The screens are washed out in sunlight, and degrade rapidly. This is something that samsung would push on smartphones because their phones barely last 18 months to begin with. Curved "living room" TV's are also pretty stupid because films were not designed for them.

The screen manufacturers want Apple to use their OLED technology as a "stamp of quality", so such rumors keep being suggested every few months, but it has yet to happen, and I don't see it happening. Instead manufacturers are actually backing away from it (eg Sony) and there is a quite a bit of hate for AMOLED on Samsung phones, the higher the resolution, the faster they degrade.
    So if Apple do make a phone with an OLED display, you will eat your words will you?

You are wrong on pretty much ever point you touched upon.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    This discussion is rather irrelevant regarding the iPhone.

The most succesful implementation of facial recognition and tracking was the Amazon Fire phone, known with its spectacular failure. Apple will never duplicate someone else's mistake. People are not identified by their mugshot but their fingerprints. Apple has already a mature fingerprint scanning technology, why would it dismiss that and adopt a fictitious biometric project?

---

As I said, and is demonstrated in macplusplus' comment, people will continue to erroneously use the term facial recognition until someone with a big marketing budget (I was using Apple as an example of such) comes along and sets everyone straight that the proper term in this context is face recognition.
    Wasn't Amazon's big enough? Budget, I mean...

---

Except for the fact Amazon used the incorrect term to describe the feature.  It might be okay to evolve the language by creating a new term to mean the same thing as an existing term. But this is not cool when the proposed new term already exists and has its own meaning different from what is intended.  
  • Reply 65 of 74
    ZarkinZarkin Posts: 16member
    macgizmo said:
    Not gonna happen. None of it. Not this year.
    Even the headline says 2017......
  • Reply 65 of 74
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    May be it's time to fill the gap, 4",4.7".5.1".5.5" and 6+. But, Apple will do 4".4.7" and 5.8". Curve screen but not crazy curve like LG G Flex.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    ksec said:
    May be iPhone 7 ( 2016 ) will be designed with OLED in mind for 2017. As of December 2015, OLED screen on Phones are now cheaper then LCD. And OLED will continue to get cheaper this year and next, due to the way they are fabricated.  OLED has pretty much overcome most of its short comings. Of coz, Apple will know better then us, may be the colouring still isn't as accurate, but for most consumers / prosumers, LED LCD doesn't have an edge anymore.

It's still not as durable as LED, that's a still a fact. That's what worries me about this. I keep phones a hell of a long time unlike Samsung Fandroids.

Micro-LED would be a better tech, but still not up to mass market high yield production I guess.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,722member
    foggyhill said:
    ksec said:

It's still not as durable as LED, that's a still a fact. That's what worries me about this. I keep phones a hell of a long time unlike Samsung Fandroids.

Micro-LED would be a better tech, but still not up to mass market high yield production I guess.
    I tried to find something on the real life impact of screen degradation. This is one link I found: http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/20372_Do_AMOLED_phone_screens_degrad.php. If someone has a better source is be thankful for sharing it. 
  • Reply 69 of 74

The most succesful implementation of facial recognition and tracking was the Amazon Fire phone, known with its spectacular failure. Apple will never duplicate someone else's mistake. People are not identified by their mugshot but their fingerprints. Apple has already a mature fingerprint scanning technology, why would it dismiss that and adopt a fictitious biometric project?

---

As I said, and is demonstrated in macplusplus' comment, people will continue to erroneously use the term facial recognition until someone with a big marketing budget (I was using Apple as an example of such) comes along and sets everyone straight that the proper term in this context is face recognition.
    Wasn't Amazon's big enough? Budget, I mean...

---

Except for the fact Amazon used the incorrect term to describe the feature.  It might be okay to evolve the language by creating a new term to mean the same thing as an existing term. But this is not cool when the proposed new term already exists and has its own meaning different from what is intended.  
    I applaud your efforts to save the the language, however, I think getting upset about a rarely used word is misplaced ire.  How about railing against the most commonly misused word in the English language, the word 'less'.  98% of the native English speakers on the planet don't seem to have a clue about what this word means, or when and how it should be used.  They seem to think it appropriate to use it when referring to a quantity of discrete things, when the word 'fewer' is the correct term.

Let's get 98% of people who misuse a word multiple times every single day sorted before we tackle the 2% who might actually misuse an obscure technical term once every 4 years.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    foggyhill said:
    ksec said:

I'm at 6 years of daily use of my Samsung Wave with an OLED screen.  You still using a 4?
  • Reply 71 of 74
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I think a lot of people are still not convince, but go and search for yourself. As much as I dislike Samsung, credit where credits due, they do make some of the best technology. Last year you could still argue whether the AMOLED in S6 was better then iPhone, this year it has definitely edge out. The amount of improvement they make with every iteration is quite amazing. Yes colour accuracy over time is still a problem, so if by durable screen I give you that. But WOLED has that problem worked out, at least Very very little degradation within first 3 years. 

Yes, micro LED / LCD with Quantum Dot would beat even WOLED. But it is expensive as hell, there will need to be some huge technical leap from Apple to make that work.  There are nothing on LCD roadmap, including JDI 2nd Gen pixel eyes that makes any leap in display tech performance or power usage. I am guessing the next major innovation will be enhanced sapphire coating on top of the display that gives virtually zero reflection. 

On the note of iPhone 7, unless Apple plans to stick with its current Qualcomm Modem for two more gen, the next iPhone will likely be a major change from antenna design prospective. ( I did argue it Is now so complex that it shape the material and design more then we think ) Qualcomm next chipset X12 and X16 allows 4x4 MIMO, that is huge amount of work in such a small devices. Earlier this year I asked Qualcomm engineer if these 4x4 modem and 1Gbps LTE speed are merely for show off and In house broadband usage. Where you get much larger modem space to work with. He replied it is an huge engineering feat that phones managed this ( remember they have WiFi as well ) and we will know later this year. 

At the time I didn't thought of iPhone, I was thinking of Samsung / LG flagship in March. Because Apple has always been conservative in latest modem tech. I thought that it will be more like schedule for iPhone 8. Current iPhone 6s used Qualcomm 9635, or now rebranded as X7. The next modem upgrade avaible are 9645 aka X12, and the latest X16 announced earlier this year. Both X12 and X16 support 4x4 MIMO. 

It is also worth noting, with iPhone SE, the whole Apple iPhone lineup now support VoLTE, which provide the incentive for carrier to start working NOW on clearing the 3G spectrum and move them to LTE. Phone without VoLTE used to rely on 3G for voice services, but by the time they finish clearing and reallocate, which takes 12 to 24 month even if they do it now, there will be little need for 3G. Apart from supporting older Phones for Voice calling, most data will likely live on LTE. ( There are countries discussing sun setting 3G already ) 

P.S In case you ask, not a single country on earth has perfected VoLTE yet. After all we are ditching the old way of analog switching that has served us well for the past two decades. It is no small feat, but teleco around the world are working together on this, sharing experience as they go along. 
    edited March 2016 roundaboutnow
  • Reply 72 of 74
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ireland said:
    it'll give you so much more troll material, you'll love it.
    The iPhone 4 had two sides to break when dropped. This is a fact. If you cannot handle the truth then I suggest you do a Homer Simpson on it and hide under the covers and hope it all works itself out.
    and yet, it was a record-setting best-seller, and one people pine on about even today, wistfully. why? because it turned out your FUD-factor DOOM naysayer nonsense just wasnt a big deal at all. our old iphone 4 remain unbroken to this day. 
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 73 of 74
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    cnocbui said:
    Perhaps a rumour started by Samsung who already sell a curved AMOLED phone. So they can say "hey, Apple are planning this in two years, and we already have it".
    In reality, Apple never goes that direction whatsoever because it turns out consumers hate it. I had a friend of mine switch from iPhone to the Samsung S7 last week. I told him he would regret it and come back to iPhone... 3 days later he took it back because he hated the screen,
    Cool story.  You happen to have a friend who just happens to be one of only three people on this planet who don't like the S7 screen.

You and this special friend are just going to love it if Apple act on their patent.

They also hated the idea of curved screeens  so much they thought it would make a cool media player.

I know quite a few folks that don't like the S6 or Note edge screens. In your attempt to be snarky you missed what was said. Samsung screens resolution wise are fantastic, the curved screen of the Edge is gimmicky crap that looks bad. These two things are not the same. So I think when monstrosity mentioned screen he meant in reference to curved screens being offered by Samsung, as further backed up by the diagrams... and not Samsung screens in general. So again Samsung OLED screens in regard to sharpness, ppi and color saturation are fantastic, the curved edge style glass.. not so much.

I pray that Apple doesn't make ANYTHING that resembles these ridiculous looking things from the patent drawings. 
  • Reply 74 of 74
    Apple iPhone 7 Edge