Will Apple's 9.7" iPad Pro take a chunk out of Microsoft Windows?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    ireland said:
    If I were Apple I'd pay $1B if necessary to Adobe to persuade them to bring PS-proper to iPad.

And I'd send Autodesk a few hundred million to bring AutoCAD over.

Apple has all the money in the world, they can use some here to achieve their goals for iPad. AutoCAD  Photoshop and a few apps such as these created for touch would make all the difference in the world to how the iPad is perceived for professional work. And once these apps happen most every other pro app will want to follow.
    Why pay Adobe? Just buy a competing image editor developer and fabricate a powerful first party image editing suite. Then leave the ball in Adobe's court to compete or be left high and dry.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 42 of 87
    mad1at35 said:
    There are many ifs and buts with the line of reasoning, but part of the problem with this utopian vision is that parts of iCloud are problematic, unreliable or a bit clunky. It needs more work.

Still Microsoft can't crow too much, OneDrive is poor and trying to download updates can be variable. The business side is much better but then it cost, a lot!

The best example of a cloud service is Dropbox. It really is EXCELLENT. I had an inclusive OneDrive subscription with office 365 but chose to continue paying for Dropbox. Both Apple and MS should take a look a that service.

The other issue with cloud services is that it relies on a great internet connection. It's okay if you have 50Mbit, 100Mbit or even gigabit connections. In the UK that's a big variable IF! Where I live I'm lucky to get 3Mbit down so setting up my wife's new iPad from an iCloud backup took hours upon hours. Send she didn't have that much stuff. And sets downloading music. My new 128gb iPad mini is still going now!

Even if you have a good internet connection it may not help. At work I compared an FTTC and ADSL connection. Speed test shows that the FTTC is over two times faster than the ADSL connection (55Mbit Down, 7 Mbit up v 22Mbit down v 1Mbit up), with similar latency on both.

Durng the day on the FTTC connection any access to Apples CDS is limited to 150Kbps - 300Kbps, whereas the ADSL is chugging along at an average 2.5Mbps! Joke! During the evening the FTTC is upto a nice 4-6Mbps.

And it happens on three other FTTC connections I have tried. The ISP's even admit traffic shaping!

So until the Internet is much much better in every country (not just Korea and Spain), and ISP's improve their core network, then forget it.

Apple really need to include a local document file system in iOS 10, a bit like how Dropbox works on OS X etc

Couldn't they simply add that functionality to iCloud? I think it would be nice for iCloud to be more like Dropbox.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 43 of 87
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,359member
    Yet another weak filler article parroting the same old song and dance about the iPad not being a PC replacement, with a little diss on the lack of 4GB RAM in the 9.7" iPad Pro mixed in for chum effect.

Apple already has a full product line called MacBook and MacBook Pro that have been filling the needs of PC users for decades. They also have the iPad product line that fills a different need for lovers of the tablet form factor and touch based user experience. It's called product mix and each contribution to the mix fills a particular need and price point. If Apple did not have a tablet then the technopress would be clamoring loudly for Apple to build one to prevent the inevitable rendezvous with Doom that it has narrowly escaped from despite all evidence from "experts" who see it as imminent for the past 20 years. 

Ford Motor Company builds the Mustang sports car and it also builds the F150 pickup truck. Two different product line for two different needs. They have some overlapping use cases, like hauling your lazy ass to and from work, but others that just don't make sense (sorry El Camino and Ranchero fans) like hauling gravel in a vehicle with a wimpy car suspension. Why aren't the gear head media outlets beating the drum for Ford to build a version of the Mustang with a cargo bed and half ton carrying capacity? It's technically feasible. I suppose if Ford was so far behind the competition that it could only build one vehicle it might decide to build a hybrid car-truck, i.e., Caruck, just to make a little bit of money for its shareholders. Maybe it would be called the Ford Surface Caruck GT 150 because it runs on top of surfaces, as opposed to sub-surface, which would make it a Ford Subsurface Caruck GT 150. Maybe offer a magnetic bed cap/cover and bolt-in seating that allow passengers to ride in the bed - at an additional cost of course. This would make the Caruck convertible into something resembling a car, except for the wonky rear seat experience for those consigned to ride in the back on the cheap plastic bolt-in seats under a magnetically attached cover that may fall off at any time. 
    edited March 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 44 of 87
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    mad1at35 said:
    There are many ifs and buts with the line of reasoning, but part of the problem with this utopian vision is that parts of iCloud are problematic, unreliable or a bit clunky. It needs more work.

Still Microsoft can't crow too much, OneDrive is poor and trying to download updates can be variable. The business side is much better but then it cost, a lot!

The best example of a cloud service is Dropbox. It really is EXCELLENT. I had an inclusive OneDrive subscription with office 365 but chose to continue paying for Dropbox. Both Apple and MS should take a look a that service.

The other issue with cloud services is that it relies on a great internet connection. It's okay if you have 50Mbit, 100Mbit or even gigabit connections. In the UK that's a big variable IF! Where I live I'm lucky to get 3Mbit down so setting up my wife's new iPad from an iCloud backup took hours upon hours. Send she didn't have that much stuff. And sets downloading music. My new 128gb iPad mini is still going now!

Even if you have a good internet connection it may not help. At work I compared an FTTC and ADSL connection. Speed test shows that the FTTC is over two times faster than the ADSL connection (55Mbit Down, 7 Mbit up v 22Mbit down v 1Mbit up), with similar latency on both.

Durng the day on the FTTC connection any access to Apples CDS is limited to 150Kbps - 300Kbps, whereas the ADSL is chugging along at an average 2.5Mbps! Joke! During the evening the FTTC is upto a nice 4-6Mbps.

And it happens on three other FTTC connections I have tried. The ISP's even admit traffic shaping!

So until the Internet is much much better in every country (not just Korea and Spain), and ISP's improve their core network, then forget it.

Apple really need to include a local document file system in iOS 10, a bit like how Dropbox works on OS X etc

Professionally I am traveling a lot abroad,  meaning at least 2 or 3 times a month, my Internet connection is a very expensive 3G/4G roaming link.  Therefore I absolutely need to have a local copy of a few hundred data files on my working device.   Independent of the cloud service (iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, Owncloud), this is a piece of cake on a Mac or PC, takes some effort on an Android tablet  but is an absolute nightmare on an iPad.
    The moment you start to use an iPad as your main professional device, you realize that iOS put too many restrictions on your way of working. 
    edited March 2016 anantksundaram
  • Reply 45 of 87
    mad1at35 said:

Couldn't they simply add that functionality to iCloud? I think it would be nice for iCloud to be more like Dropbox.
    They could indeed add the functionality to iCloud but my second point is out of Apple's control.

The Internet is now almost as important as electricity and gas to many folks yet the service many receive is poor, either by connection limitations or by traffic shaping. Until every country gets real about their infrastructure many will be in in the Internet slow lane.
  • Reply 46 of 87
    ireland said:
    If I were Apple I'd pay $1B if necessary to Adobe to persuade them to bring PS-proper to iPad.

Apple has all the money in the world, they can use some here to achieve their goals for iPad. AutoCAD  Photoshop and a few apps such as these created for touch would make all the difference in the world to how the iPad is perceived for professional work. And once these apps happen most every other pro app will want to follow.
    Adobe will eventually do it on their own. They will eventually reach the point where mobile is the only place there is growth and to keep getting $50 a month from customers they will have to embrace it as more than just an extension of the desktop.

AutoCAD 360 has been out for iOS for some time now and it is pretty good. AutoDesk has developed a lot of other really good apps too. SketchBook is one of the better drawing apps for the iPad and it is full-featured to the point of almost having too many features. 
    edited March 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 47 of 87

jbdragon said:

If all you do is media consumption and some lite work, a iPad works just fine.  
    Utterly clueless post.
    I have been doing heavy lifting on the iPad (not even pro) for 4 years now. Although it may seem counterintuitive, the minimal interface and "watered-down" features have actually increased the quality and efficiency of my work. 
    bb-15
  • Reply 48 of 87
    jbdragon said:
     I think the mini it's pointless these days with big screen iPhone's!!! 

In your opinion that is.
    I prefere reading e-books on my mini. The letterbox format of a phone is all wrong.
    It is all wrong for photo viewing. Well it is for me as I take pictures using a DSLR.
    Each format has its uses. Every user has a different set of use cases.

bb-15
  • Reply 49 of 87
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    No.
  • Reply 50 of 87
    volcan said:
    iPad is a fabulous device but I would rather give up my career in programming and start making my living doing organic farming with no internet connection whatsoever than to  have to depend on an iPad for my only computing device.
    Wow, radical. But you will need communications in your organic farm if you want to sell something. So better go to self sustaining organic farming. 
    anantksundaramnolamacguy
  • Reply 51 of 87
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    appex said:
    "Will Apple's 9.7" iPad Pro take a chunk out of Microsoft Windows?"

No way. For that Apple needs a Mac tablet.
    Keep banging your Mac tablet drum in article after article and I'll keep reminding you it exists already: The Modbook.

www.modbook.com

If you really needed one for your work to be worthwhile  you would have got one already.

OS X without the touch optimisations is a niche market which is probably why Apple have left it to the Modbook company.
    Apple has already looked at making OS X touch compatible, the result was iOS.

Touch isn't important for even the majority of Windows users:  at best, 10 to 20 percent of Windows devices being sold have a touchscreen.

I can speak from personal experience.  I have been dabbling with a Windows 10 tablet with a 7 inch screen and it's a misery to use.
    Most applications are the "non-touch" type, it's frustrating attempting to tap tiny window buttons and icons in an attempt to get anything done.
    You're forced to connect a keyboard and mouse, thus making your touchscreen irrelevant and rendering your tablet into a desktop computer with a 7 inch screen.
    I suspect this is how things will continue in the Windows world, most application developers will think "No point making extra effort to make my app touch capable on Windows when it works anyway on the device and most Windows users don't use touch".
    edited March 2016 canukstormbb-15
  • Reply 52 of 87
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    appex said:
    "Will Apple's 9.7" iPad Pro take a chunk out of Microsoft Windows?"

No way. For that Apple needs a Mac tablet.
    People say this but Mac itself hasn't taken a big bite out of windows as of yet. A Mac tablet would likely not do much in the market. What Apple needs is worthwhile software for iOS and maybe something more in the file management department.
    Really, file management, something like Document5 (and 10+ other similar apps?).
    In businesses, most documents are not stored locally anyway, so not sure why you'd actually need local file management.
    Seems people are stuck in some kind of weird 1990s mindset about workflows.

Apple has taken a big bite of the corporate world but not by replacing desktops, but by flooding in in the form of Iphones and Ipads.
    There is a ton of work done with those devices these days.

chiapscooter63
  • Reply 53 of 87
    ireland said:

Why pay Adobe? Just buy a competing image editor developer and fabricate a powerful first party image editing suite. Then leave the ball in Adobe's court to compete or be left high and dry.
    Or buy Adobe and AutoCAD for that matter, if its for money, they can.
  • Reply 54 of 87
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    mad1at35 said:

Just where are you getting your figures for the UK?

89% of the UK premises can have access to at least 24 Mbit download broadband speeds:
    https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/index.php

I've been using Dropbox and iCloud/MobileME since the days I had an 8 Mbit download speed.  I've not encountered the problems you've been having, maybe there's something misconfigured in your router.  They even work well when I am out and about with 4G on my iPhone.

Are you using large 100 megabyte documents?

Oh, and are you using iCloud Drive on your iOS 9 device?
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 55 of 87
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Some people forget that Mac and iOS are much more than interface. It is freedom (or jail). It is customization to see files and place them wherever you want in a visible file system (or not). It is power to run professional applications (or not). It is capacity to dominate and control the machine (and not the other way round). And last but not least, it is standard ports to share files with a pendrive (or not). It is day (or night). You simply cannot compare them.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 56 of 87
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    appex said:
    Some people forget that Mac and iOS are much more than interface. It is freedom (or jail). It is customization to see files and place them wherever you want in a visible file system (or not). It is power to run professional applications (or not). It is capacity to dominate and control the machine (and not the other way round). And last but not least, it is standard ports to share files with a pendrive (or not). It is day (or night). You simply cannot compare them.
    You just did.
  • Reply 57 of 87
    chia said:
    mad1at35 said:

Just where are you getting your figures for the UK?

89% of the UK premises can have access to at least 24 Mbit download broadband speeds:
    https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/index.php

I've been using Dropbox and iCloud/MobileME since the days I had an 8 Mbit download speed.  I've not encountered the problems you've been having, maybe there's something misconfigured in your router.  They even work well when I am out and about with 4G on my iPhone.

Are you using large 100 megabyte documents?

Oh, and are you using iCloud Drive on your iOS 9 device?
    To answer your question, I'm using iOS 9.3, windows 7 and 10, Sever 2008R2, Mac OS 10.11., etc. And it's not just iCloud Drive I'm talking about but the whole CDS (Content Delivery System).

I am fortunate to have tested 15 different connections, various providers, town and country, various cabs, 3 different exchanges, various routers (mainly Cisco, Draytek and Fritz)

Supposed business grade FTTC (fibre to the cab) connections are heavily speed limited during the working day and virtually unlimited at night. Some ADSL's are MUCH LESS 'shaped' during the same hours. Domestic ones are more shaped in the evening.

You can run a speed test and get 50Mbps but only a achieve say 150 Kbps -300 Kbps from Apple or Mircosoft. I initially blamed Apple, then configuration issues then started noticing a pattern.

Hence I only discovered this by accident having access to so many connections.

Speaking to the ISP's they openly admit (pointing to T&C's) they they deliberately speed shape (read heavily speed limit) FTTC connections during working hours (8-6 for business) to many content delivery systems such as Apple, Microsoft, Netflix, etc. I when I say heavily I mean often slower than my poor slow 3 Mbps home ADSL connections x 2 (our cab has FTTC but I'm too far away).

4g seems much less constrained on O2 and EE but there's an app limit of course.

Therefore I now have to time doing many jobs like a restore or and OS update to out of hours - I work in IT - which is a real pain.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 58 of 87
    ireland said:

I wouldn't pay them a dime. The ecosystem and massive market should be motivation enough.

Apple's biggest problem in trying to bring full fat Applications such as Photoshop and AutoCAD to the iPad is the price of Apps (note the difference between Applications and Apps) most people are used to paying less that $20 for an App and Adobe and the other developers are used to getting $200+ for their Applications.no matter how big the iPad market is, if the they are only going to get a fraction of the income they wont do it - and that is without even considering the lack of memory and processing power of the devices it is doubtful users would have the same smooth experience they currently on enjoy on Windows or Mac desktop, or laptop for that matter.
  • Reply 59 of 87
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Microsoft tablet is a joke for the price especially now their Windows 10 with backdoor was built for China government. US Gov might already had that Win10Gov version installed in the tablets.
    I'm glad that I refused to use Windows devices at home in the last 6 years.
  • Reply 60 of 87
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Are the iPad Pros going to get legions of Macbook pro and Air users to dump them for iPads?  If the answer is no, then the same answer applies to the question of taking a chunk out of Windows.  iOS is not a desktop OS replacement for people who need/want a desktop OS.