DOJ confirms successful iPhone data extraction, withdraws encryption case against Apple [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 159
    So that's that until a newer iPhone fails to yield up it's secrets. Rinse, repeat. BTW, I'd be willing to lay odds that this involved copying the data and replicating it many times over, then "tricking" the iPhone into thinking the replicated data is the original data. Basically, an assembly line process. Bump the number up to, say, an 8 digit code, and the cost of this approach starts to become excessive. In the instance of really crucial info, still possible, but expensive. Not something the average iPhone user would ever need to be concerned about. And going to an 8 digit code is a very easy fix for Apple to instigate.
    mwhite
  • Reply 22 of 159
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Not good enough.

The American government, via James Comey, just had a crack at the American people's right not to be spied upon by their own government. They will put their tail between their legs, slink off, and try again at a more opportune time in the future.

Teach the American government a lesson. Demand the resignation of the Director of the FBI. Teach them that whoever tries this sh*t again in the future will be jeopardising, at the very least, their career.

He deserves to go based on the FBI's technical incompetence anyway.

"NO ONE DESERVES THE KEY TO A BILLION LOCKS"
    edited March 2016 sockrolidjcs2305jony0xiamenbillesarbeeirelandbaconstangdysamoriabrakkenpropod
  • Reply 23 of 159
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    cali said:
    Part of me thinks this is BS and they never got into the iPhone and withdrew because of all the bad press they were getting.
    I was thinking that too. I also believe Apple had an extremely strong case. Every time James Comey opened his mouth, that was more ammunition for Apple's case. The more Comey spoke, the more of his lies were being exposed. 
    baconstangdysamoriabrakkenbadmonk
  • Reply 24 of 159
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Obligatory Comment: I guess John McAfee doesn't get to eat his shoe now. Unless he already has.
    sockrolidbrakkenbadmonk
  • Reply 25 of 159
    Don't buy this for one second. Government knew they would lose this case. Regrouping to hit Apple again.
  • Reply 26 of 159
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    newtonrj said:
    And the question we all have is: 'what was on the phone?' 

-RJ
    Nothing...absolutely nothing. BUT...FBI will lie that they have extracted valuable data to prevent future attacks...Yup, they will lie on that.
    jony0baconstangdysamoriabadmonk
  • Reply 27 of 159
    This was definitely a psyop.
    sockrolidpalominebadmonk
  • Reply 28 of 159
    newtonrj said:
    And the question we all have is: 'what was on the phone?' 

-RJ
    You'll never know now...maybe if Apple worked with the FBI and made that a condition in creating the work around we would know but, not anymore. The FBI don't have to tell you ish anymore...
  • Reply 29 of 159
    volcan said:
    And did they inform Apple of the security vulnerability that was used? Probably not, but they should as it could be an issue of national security.
    They don't have to tell Apple anything...they tried to work with Apple but, Apple decided to make this something nasty in the media...good luck getting the FBI to work with you after a very public bashing
    singularity
  • Reply 30 of 159
    I'm calling BS on that one. They knew they were going to loose this and caved. But - they need to save face. So they concocted this story. In the end the story probably will go like this: "There was nothing to be gleaned from that iPhone. It really was just a work phone." Or: "There was valuable information gained, but in the interest of national security we cannot disclose what." I might believe them if in the future, no matter what the case, they never again ask Apple to get into one for them. Until then: Just because they say they did doesn't mean at all that they really did so.
    kibitzerdysamoria
  • Reply 31 of 159
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

macbootx said:
    I say this is GREAT! Let all the attention shift away from Apple to the government. Perhaps now the issue of encryption can be addressed rationally. 
    As far as how the FBI did it? Don't care, don't ask don't tell. 
    What about the concerns if they were able to do then hackers can? 
    If hackers have ability to extract data from the physical hardware, then they should be better off to open a hardware company themselves. We're talking about "0" and "1" here and reassemble these bits back to human readable language. The process requires a lot of resources and talents. I don't think hackers would want to deal with the hardware part.
  • Reply 32 of 159
    Apple needs to go on the offensive and file a FOIA request, and, if denied, a federal lawsuit, to find out the background moves made by the FBI and DOJ and other agencies on this case. 
    jony0xiamenbilldysamoriapropod
  • Reply 33 of 159
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Apple will move the delay between passcode attempts from iOS into the secure enclave of the chip. People who want an unhackable phone will have to buy a new iPhone.
    baconstangsteveh
  • Reply 34 of 159
    Hahaha who'd have imagined *rolles eyes, sarcastically* The government can hire good hackers... Big surprise. See, now if Apple had just unlocked it for them, they wouldn't have a backdoor key. Now they have a backdoor key they can use on seized property at will. By refusing to do the right thing and unlock a terrorist's phone, you have actually created the conditions where the FBI has gone AROUND Apple and now they DO have a full backdoor key. Great job!
    singularity
  • Reply 35 of 159
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    jungmark said:
    DOJ is probably lying to save face. Apple should find out and plug that hole. 
    The DOJ cherry-picked a highly emotional case to use as leverage against Apple and iOS device security.
    Apple called their bluff, and the DOJ knew they couldn't win.

So the announcement seems like a face-saving move on first read.
    But Cellebrite has been scanning data from iOS devices for the US government for years now.
    Therefore the announcement is more of a public relations cover-your-ass.  
    Damage control.
    jony0xiamenbill
  • Reply 36 of 159
    Apple could've worked with the FBI behind the scenes and no one would've been any wiser but, Apple decided not to in an effort to protecting privacy. In doing so they've actually crated a much larger and more dangerous threat to privacy. The FBI owes Apple nothing with regards to sharing how the phone was hacked and why should they? Why would the FBI say "here's exactly how we did it, now go ahead a patch that so we can have this same fight in the future" I hope everyone thanks Mr Cook for creating a much larger and unregulated threat to your privacy.
    OMGlmaosingularity
  • Reply 37 of 159
    kkerst said:
    Obligatory Comment: I guess John McAfee doesn't get to eat his shoe now. Unless he already has.
    He'd eat his shoe just to show how tough he is.
    Or something weird like that.
  • Reply 38 of 159
    Well, I hope they're happy with what they found on the phone, grandma's secret falafel recipe.
    jony0baconstang
  • Reply 39 of 159

Hahaha who'd have imagined *rolles eyes, sarcastically* The government can hire good hackers... Big surprise. See, now if Apple had just unlocked it for them, they wouldn't have a backdoor key. Now they have a backdoor key they can use on seized property at will. By refusing to do the right thing and unlock a terrorist's phone, you have actually created the conditions where the FBI has gone AROUND Apple and now they DO have a full backdoor key. Great job!
    Wow.  Great job, newbie.

I don't know what to say except that you need to read up about the case.
    Try not to post anything more about the case until you're up to speed with the rest of us.

Here is a good article to help you catch up:

http://appleinsider.com/pages/apple-fbi-encryption-battle

Note of warning: the above article might be just a little TL;DR for you.
    But don't let those big words and long paragraphs scare you.
    It will help you understand what's going on in the world.
    edited March 2016 mwhitetomkarljcs2305jony0idreyRayz2016pscooter63dysamoriawetlandericoco3
  • Reply 40 of 159
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    entropys said:
    cali said:
    Part of me thinks this is BS and they never got into the iPhone and withdrew because of all the bad press they were getting.
    I suspect you could be right. From the FBI's perspective better to leave the issue unresolved than to go to court and have it resolved in a way the FBI didn't like. If Apple won it would reduce the FBI's options not just with Apple but also with other 'less principled' manufacturers.

On the other hand, the withdrawal also creates the impression Apple's encryption might have been broken. Apple will need to at least be seen to upgrade encryption in iOS9.4 that could deal with the exploit.

The gripping hand is the encryption war goes on forever.
    Better to leave it alone. The little to no evidence wasn't worth it to them and they probably sensed a public uprising.

and you're second point, I considered this as well the "never mind we opened it" excuse is a double edged sword. It may be their best lie to make Apple look bad without you know actually saying anything bad.

"Never mind we opened it" sounds passive aggressive to make people think the iPhone isn't secure but I call BS. This whole story has a fishy ending. 
    baconstangdysamoria