iPhone SE preorders top 3.4M in China, gold & rose gold most popular - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    fallenjt said:

It's not about the screen, but the performance. If they trade in a 6s for SE, I would worry. iPhone 6 is inferior vs SE except the screen size.
    If I had an iPhone 6S, I would sell it to buy an iPhone SE.  If the option were to simply trade with no cash in either direction, I would take the SE because I have no interest in owning a phablet.
    k2kw
  • Reply 22 of 37
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Interesting angle about folks with iPhone 6 trading in for iPhone SE. That may eat into iPhone 6 to iPhone 7 upgrade numbers.
    It'll be interesting to see how sales will be impacted by the iPhone SE. I'm sure it will have a significant impact. The next large iPhone better be super impressive or I can see a huge fall in sales.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 said:
    That's classic coming from you because you swore up and down that nobody wanted a 4" phone, and that Apple would never make another one. 
    Yes I misjudged the 4 inch market. Who cares.

I'm not paid to follow smartphone trends. Apple is. And tech media is.
    And they're entitled to their opinion, and thoughts on the matter. 
  • Reply 24 of 37
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    fallenjt said:
    128GB SE may have a few customers. If using 4K video recording to justify for it is ignorant. People shouldn't keep 4K video on the phone because it'll fill up the storage space quickly regardless 64 or 128GB. The point is that people need to manage the media library.

And what happens when a person is away from wifi connections for a long period of time, and can't upload the 4k video -- which is going to take quite a while as well -- yet they still have a need to take more 4k video? Or 12mp photos? And Live Photos?

Since Apple doesn't offer removable storage, you can't just easily offload those videos and photos in the field to make room for more. 

So, given the storage intensive capabilities of the SE, which Apple is promoting, it really is a reasonable request.

Otherwise, any user planning on going on a trip where they intend to take lots of photos or videos with the SE, is going to have delete most of their apps, and all of their media content, including music and movies (something which may also not be available in areas without wifi or cell service, like a National park), in order to make room for the possibility of accumulating more photos and videos than available storage will accommodate before they can get to a place to accommodate the offload and media library management.

Requiring a customer to upgrade to a larger phone merely to get greater storage capacity merely to use the features Apple is marketing in the phone, is counter-intuitive to why they're selling a smaller phone in the first place -- unless they are doing it merely to offer an entry level phone they don't have to worry about for a few years. Of course it could also be to wet the appetites of all the 4" users who will buy this phone now to give them incentive to upgrade to the 4" iPhone 7 when it comes out in a year, with all the same options as the larger flagship phones.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 25 of 37
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    I think when the article says" Wall Street analyst are predicting a NET of an ADDITIONAL 10 -15 units" ...they mean on top of the 30 Million that was sold in 2015.....not a total of 10-15 for the year....so they are predicting 40-45 Million...

An analyst was just on tv saying the same
  • Reply 26 of 37
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Only marginally OT but I do love the mocking Samsung fans and press who have been slating the confusion in Apple's lineup with too many models and how Samsung are 'razor sharp' with only two models of S7. The S7 'active' has just been outed in one of their Apps. Razor sharp my ass...
    cali
  • Reply 27 of 37
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Well analysts predicted what 14M first year? So this has to be wrong plus no one wants a smaller iPhone so I'm guessing they've really sold 1,000 in China.

lukei said:
    Only marginally OT but I do love the mocking Samsung fans and press who have been slating the confusion in Apple's lineup with too many models and how Samsung are 'razor sharp' with only two models of S7. The S7 'active' has just been outed in one of their Apps. Razor sharp my ass...

Those morons are praising Sammy for copying Apple's marketing strategies?

sammy sells about 200+ models including flip phones and cheap Blackberry knockoffs still.

• Reply 28 of 37
    @Cali. They sure are. In particular on tablets there is a meme going around citing what Jobs did when he returned to Apple (simplified the product set dramatically). All of this ignores the changed market and the fact that Apple is far from the size of company that Jobs rejoined. Oh and isn't on the verge of bankruptcy :)
  • Reply 29 of 37
    I've not dared look at what the current Samsung tablet line up is in case I choke on the remaining Easter chocolate I have to consume 
  • Reply 30 of 37
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    mcarling said:
    fallenjt said:

It's not about the screen, but the performance. If they trade in a 6s for SE, I would worry. iPhone 6 is inferior vs SE except the screen size.
    If I had an iPhone 6S, I would sell it to buy an iPhone SE.  If the option were to simply trade with no cash in either direction, I would take the SE because I have no interest in owning a phablet.
    I truly feel it's time to stop calling the iPhone 6 or 6s a phablet. Personally any device over 5.5 inches would seem to fit that moniker the best. I went from the 6 to the 6s plus and noticed how much larger it felt in my hands compared to the 6. Going from the 5 to the 6 to me was just not that startling. Maybe it's my hand size I don't know, but I just don't feel like the 4.7 models are a huge phablet sized phones. Nothing personal, just an opinion...
  • Reply 31 of 37
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    In a year the rest of the industry will be following suit.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    mcarling said:
    fallenjt said:

But still that's you, not typical 6S owners.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    mac_128 said:
    fallenjt said:
    128GB SE may have a few customers. If using 4K video recording to justify for it is ignorant. People shouldn't keep 4K video on the phone because it'll fill up the storage space quickly regardless 64 or 128GB. The point is that people need to manage the media library.

And what happens when a person is away from wifi connections for a long period of time, and can't upload the 4k video -- which is going to take quite a while as well -- yet they still have a need to take more 4k video? Or 12mp photos? And Live Photos?

So, you want Apple to make 128GB version just to satisfy those customers whose usages are not typical? LOL. I have my 64GB phone and I have over 4000 pictures + videos + hundreds of apps...Still I have 15GB left. 
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 34 of 37
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    fallenjt said:
    mac_128 said:

So, you want Apple to make 128GB version just to satisfy those customers whose usages are not typical? LOL. I have my 64GB phone and I have over 4000 pictures + videos + hundreds of apps...Still I have 15GB left. 
    Hardly atypical. Most people take vacations to parts of there world where there is limited wifi, and they take lots of pictures and movies during a day of sightseeing. If you don't you are atypical. And more importantly, if this is so rare, why does Apple even offer 128GB phones at all? According to you, Apple is just catering to atypical users. Right? So yeah, you've already lost this argument.

And which iPhone do you have? Are all photos 12MP? How many live photos? And you have all 4K videos on your phone? How much music? You make a lot of big claims, but I also have 64GB iPhone 5s. And I have 4200 photos, 121 apps, 34 songs, 15 720p (or lower res) videos, 94 PDFs, 6 iBooks, 17 voice memos, and 9 ringtones.  And I have less than 24GB left. None of those videos are full length movies -- most taken on my camera, and none are 1080p, much less 4K quality. The photos are all 8mp. I carry no music at all. And that's being an incredibly conservative photo/movie taker. If anything I'm atypical. But when I do take a lot of movies and photos on vacations, get-aways, or events, I run out of space very quickly.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Interesting angle about folks with iPhone 6 trading in for iPhone SE. That may eat into iPhone 6 to iPhone 7 upgrade numbers.
    It's likely those people would not have gone for the 7 anyway, seeing has this phone is smaller and less performant.
    Satisfying their user prevents them from leaking to Android, which is the real reason for this to exist.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    One thing I cannot understand yet that why people are going crazy for iPhone SE? May be this proves that people loves a smaller device more than a bigger and huge display device. Plus this also shows the interesting facts of getting the pre-order graph gradually increasing in the sales of apple. Apple has also dived into the world of ultra budget smartphones though. I think so. I read some amazing facts and figures about the numbers of pre-orders of iPhone SE at the following article! http://mobilesiri.com/apple-iphone-se-reaches-3-4-million-pre-orders-in-china/
    edited March 2016