'Next-generation' Apple Store opens in Memphis with custom 37-foot display

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2016
Apple this past weekend opened the doors to one of the first "next-generation" Apple Stores to land stateside, and AppleInsider has exclusive photos of the logo-less facade, custom wooden wall installations and massive 37-foot TV display -- rumored to cost $1.5 million -- that ties everything together.

As seen in photos provided by AppleInsider reader Wade, Apple's latest U.S. outlet benefits from the overhauled brick-and-mortar design language dreamed up by retail chief Angela Ahrendts and CDO Jony Ive. The final product matches up with renderings revealed last September.

A patented high-flung ceiling sports embedded light panels and recessed spotlights that illuminate product display tables below, arranged to maximize floorspace and achieve a sense of openness. The iconic wooden tables, designed by Ive, are new models with motion sensors that operate a motorized flip-up panel hiding electrical outlets and USB ports. The table is rolling out to Apple Stores around the world.

On the walls are Apple's new wooden accessory display installations, dubbed "The Avenue," which feature a headphone tryout area, as well as shelf space for speakers, docks and other paraphernalia. According to Ahrendts, the drawers, cabinets and other interactive flourishes are designed to simulate the feeling of window shopping on a sleepy street in a small town.

The main attraction, though, is a gigantic mural-esque television display that stands nearly floor-to-ceiling at the wall opposite the store's all-glass entrance. According to reader Wade, the screen came in at a hefty $1.5 million. Seen above running an iPad Pro promo, the high-resolution array displays edge-to-edge images and comes encased in a sleek black housing.

A similar display was seen in footage from a December episode of "60 Minutes," in which Ahrendts led interviewer Charlie Rose through a secret mockup Apple Store located in a nondescript Cupertino warehouse. The Memphis unit, however, appears to be having some issues as a few panels in the top-left corner are currently malfunctioning.

The Saddle Creek Apple Store is located on West Street in Germantown.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    My guess is the last stores to get this new design will be stores inside of shopping malls, which unfortunately is 4 out of the 5 stores in the Twin Cities. Those stores look so outdated now.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Imagine an Apple TV-monitor designed like that one.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    It really does tie the room together.
    cornchiplevinolamacguy
  • Reply 4 of 43
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    TV leaked...
    tallest skil
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Looks unfinished without the Apple logo. Do you guys think they will remove the logo on all stores or something?
  • Reply 6 of 43
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    Could this be the loooooong awaited successor to the current Thunderbolt display? It's getting difficult finding coal to fire the current Thunderbolt display...

I'm surprised Jony signed off on the thick profile of that thing. Couldn't they have tapered it like on the iMac?

• Reply 7 of 43
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    The front looks bad. Like an old ladies department store. Also without the Apple logo, you'd not know what it is. The logo is cool and modern looking by itself as well. 

The he shelves are also bad. They offer a very dated look with there protruding design, mismatched levels and ugly dark border inset. Also reminiscent of an old ladies department store. 

The tv is dang cool. Something that screams techie and fashion at the same time. 

The he traditional style tables will never go out of style. 

Overrall a a major letdown though. If not for the tv, I'd say the design is an utter failure. 

Ive got to think the shelves and front are an Ahrendts thing. I imagine she's pretty bullish with her views simply because she's a female exec and has major retail experience. But she's wrong here. They need to reign her in. Apart from the tv and tables, the new stuff looks older than the old stuff. Kind of cheap too. Especially the shelves c
    edited March 2016 waltgDavidAlGregory
  • Reply 8 of 43
    The front looks bad. Like an old ladies department store. Also without the Apple logo, you'd not know what it is. The logo is cool and modern looking by itself as well. 

The he shelves are also bad. They offer a very dated look with there protruding design, mismatched levels and ugly dark border inset. Also reminiscent of an old ladies department store. 

The tv is dang cool. Something that screams techie and fashion at the same time. 

The he traditional style tables will never go out of style. 

Overrall a a major letdown though. If not for the tv, I'd say the design is an utter failure. 

Ive got to think the shelves and front are an Ahrendts thing. I imagine she's pretty bullish with her views simply because she's a female exec and has major retail experience. But she's wrong here. They need to reign her in. Apart from the tv and tables, the new stuff looks older than the old stuff. Kind of cheap too. Especially the shelves c
    These are just really bad photos. There is no dark border inset and the new designs have the Apple logo on the front of the store. Geez AI if you're going to do a story at least get some better pictures.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    On Feburary 27th 2016, The 3rd Apples 'Next-generation' Store re-opened in Crossgates Mall in Albany, NY.  There is a white Apple logo on the stone walls to the left and right of the door. It is definitely a more high end feel when your in the store.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/New-Crossgates-Apple-Store-draws-loyalists-6858065.php

edited March 2016
  • Reply 10 of 43
    My guess is the last stores to get this new design will be stores inside of shopping malls, which unfortunately is 4 out of the 5 stores in the Twin Cities. Those stores look so outdated now.
    I believe you are correct that a number of shopping mall Apple stores may receive this update with lesser priority than other brick and mortar projects; I can say, however, that the Apple store in the shopping mall nearest to me has received the update. I suspect that this has more to do with revenue performance than anything though.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    I believe you are correct that a number of shopping mall Apple stores may receive this update with lesser priority than other brick and mortar projects; I can say, however, that the Apple store in the shopping mall nearest to me has received the update. I suspect that this has more to do with revenue performance than anything though.
    Well I have 5 stores within 30 minutes of me so the Twin Cities must do decent business. I frequent 2 of the 5 stores and they're usually pretty busy.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Apple, please update the 1st retail store you ever opened: Tysons Corner, VA.  (near me, of course!)
  • Reply 13 of 43

nick710 said:
    On Feburary 27th 2016, The 3rd Apples 'Next-generation' Store re-opened in Crossgates Mall in Albany, NY.  There is a white Apple logo on the stone walls to the left and right of the door. It is definitely a more high end feel when your in the store.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/New-Crossgates-Apple-Store-draws-loyalists-6858065.php

Much better photos. I like that the new tables have one long strip for the cords vs the old tables that had 4 square cutouts but I wish there was a way to cover them up maybe with some signage or something noting what product is on the table. 
  • Reply 14 of 43
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    nick710 said:

Looks like they went back to the Steve Jobs white epoxy floor?

edit: nvm. Just saw other photos that show light grey large tiles. 
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 15 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Much better photos. I like that the new tables have one long strip for the cords vs the old tables that had 4 square cutouts but I wish there was a way to cover them up maybe with some signage or something noting what product is on the table. 
    Why not just run the cords down through the body and leg of the table and set that leg directly atop a power socket? Seems like the Apple way to do things; I’m dumbfounded they still do it this way.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Looks unfinished without the Apple logo. Do you guys think they will remove the logo on all stores or something?
    No, I'd say that's store specific. I think car drivers may miss the Apple store though, so I don't know if it's a great idea to have no outward facing logo. Something outward but subtle could be added.
  • Reply 17 of 43

nick710 said:

What do they do on cold days? Leave open just one of those 'quite large' openings? You'd have some gusts of cold and wind coming in there wouldn't you?

EDIT: I see it says mall store, but doesn't that look like rain on paving slabs?
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 18 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    ireland said:
    What do they do on cold days? Leave open just one of those 'quite large' openings? You'd have some gusts of cold and wind coming in there wouldn't you?

EDIT: I see it says mall store, but doesn't that look like rain on paving slabs?
    Are those all openings? It’s inside, though. Without the window displays, what stops people from smacking into the glass like slightly dumber birds?

I can’t imagine them ever doing this outside unless it’s in a climate that doesn’t vary through the year.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Are those all openings? It’s inside, though. Without the window displays, what stops people from smacking into the glass like slightly dumber birds?

I can’t imagine them ever doing this outside unless it’s in a climate that doesn’t vary through the year.
    Yeah all openings. Inside, my bad. There are safety stickers along those swinging-door-windows just above navel-height on that news website nick710 linked to:

http://i.imgur.com/gHf15i5.png

http://i.imgur.com/ESGJNxd.png
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 20 of 43
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ireland said:

Memphis is the last place you want a wall of windows to open to the outside. winters are cold and wet, and summers are hot and wet. Between snow, ice, tornadoes. rain, humidity, extreme temperatures, flying bugs, mosquitoes and the like, I can't imagine a season when they would ever open them. The AC would be running full tilt 9 months out of the year, and heat the rest.
    edited March 2016