Will Apple's 9.7" iPad Pro take a chunk out of Microsoft Windows?

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    appex said:
    Some people forget that Mac and iOS are much more than interface. It is freedom (or jail). It is customization to see files and place them wherever you want in a visible file system (or not). It is power to run professional applications (or not). It is capacity to dominate and control the machine (and not the other way round). And last but not least, it is standard ports to share files with a pendrive (or not). It is day (or night). You simply cannot compare them.
    I know lawyers making 300K a year using only Ipads, are they in jail?
    Funny how people have to contort "pro" to whatever meaning suits them.

If your computer is a tool to do their job, and for most people it is not of the thing you list, it's a pro tool.

Workflow changes and tools changes, many seem to be stuck in the 1990s or even the 1980s.
    Within 5 years, that whole spiel of yours will sound real funny.

Both Mac and Ipad can do pro jobs, maybe even the same pro, or completely different group of them.

• Reply 82 of 87
    foggyhill said:
    Really, file management, something like Document5 (and 10+ other similar apps?).
    In businesses, most documents are not stored locally anyway, so not sure why you'd actually need local file management.
    Seems people are stuck in some kind of weird 1990s mindset about workflows.

Apple has taken a big bite of the corporate world but not by replacing desktops, but by flooding in in the form of Iphones and Ipads.
    There is a ton of work done with those devices these days.

yes our local council flooded in iPads, gave them to field workers, who use them for email and then they make notes on paper which secretaries back in the office type up on desktops - your rose tinted view of an Apple future isn't as rosy as you may think!
    Bravo for this keen insight that discounts in one word 30+ of engineering experience as mere delusional musings.(sic)

Your career as a medium / bowl scrubber is assured and I'm sure council, in whatever hell hole you are, will find their predicted future bright and their toilets spotless.

BTW, the fact you even said "Apple future" puts your bias front and center, everything else is just packing paper for this view.

Sorry you live in hell; but hey we'll all be reincarnated into higher beings soon anyway, in your case a gnat.

• Reply 83 of 87
    I purchased an iPad Pro. The work flow increase in using the device with the pencil has been quite surprising. The device has great battery life and does nearly everything I need it do except the ability to make conventional phone calls. In fact, once Apple makes the watch capable of making phone calls independently, my plan is to get rid of the iPhone and go with the watch and iPad for my computing needs. 

The Surface line of machines from Microsoft look nice but have a huge problem. The reliability is quite poor and far worse than the iPad. Even Paul Thurrott the ultimate Windows apologist has harsh criticism for Microsoft. 

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/64095/welcome-to-surfacegate

Even if iOS is somewhat crippled compared to Windows, a dead machine gets no work done. 

My biggest issue with iOS isn't with the file system. It's the inability to move data to external storage rapidly without having to rely on a computer and the use of iTunes. 

If Apple could build or at least allow a third party to build a lighting memory stick that enables file transfers quickly, I would be quite pleased. 

Connecting a pair of iPad pros through the Lightning port to create an extended display would also be nice. 

It will likely happen one day, but the wait is getting painful. 

Hasn't there a USB to lightning adapter been just announced by Apple.
    connecting this adapter to a hub you connect a lot fo stuff to the Ipad pro.
    You could just plug in a NAS drive and use document5 to transfer things in and out
    If you want to transfer directly by USB (without having to have an ethernet adapter), I'm sure apps doing that will come shortly.

Of course, if you have a very fast router, you can use WIFI to move things in and out; there are quite a few document management apps that allow that already.
  • Reply 84 of 87
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    foggyhill said:

Apple's biggest problem in trying to bring full fat Applications such as Photoshop and AutoCAD to the iPad is the price of Apps (note the difference between Applications and Apps) most people are used to paying less that $20 for an App and Adobe and the other developers are used to getting $200+ for their Applications.no matter how big the iPad market is, if the they are only going to get a fraction of the income they wont do it - and that is without even considering the lack of memory and processing power of the devices it is doubtful users would have the same smooth experience they currently on enjoy on Windows or Mac desktop, or laptop for that matter.
    Considering more and more big software is moving to a subscription because people are no longer ready to pay a huge amount up front for software, not sure how much of a problem that really is.

The fact the mobile, non Intel market, is just to big to ignore now will also have a big impact.

This is exactly what is happening.

I have a particular use case, manufacturing, where I have to create programs for my CNC machines from solid models or dxf files. This was literally not possible on the Mac for more than a decade until AutoDesk ported Fusion 360, a cloud app, to the Mac. Project Leopard is a development program to bring this to a browser, something that will allow operators on the factory floor to have full programming tools but especially to be able to edit programs at the machines, on an iPad.

Fusion 360 is also an MCAD package, as is OnShape, both of which will bring, over time, full design and simulation capabilities, either iOS native or via the browser.

For now, I'm still running SolidWorks, GibbsCAM and Inventor HSM Pro on a Windows 7 workstation, but I expect that by the time Windows 7 is deprecated, I will have most the capability I need on an iPad, and the rest on the Mac.

Good Times!
  • Reply 85 of 87
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    chia said:
    Just where are you getting your figures for the UK?

89% of the UK premises can have access to at least 24 Mbit download broadband speeds:
    https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/index.php

I've been using Dropbox and iCloud/MobileME since the days I had an 8 Mbit download speed.  I've not encountered the problems you've been having, maybe there's something misconfigured in your router.  They even work well when I am out and about with 4G on my iPhone.

Are you using large 100 megabyte documents?

Oh, and are you using iCloud Drive on your iOS 9 device?

Interesting statement that 89% bit - we have 5 sites and only one of them is capable of exceeding 20Mb download
    I think I'll stick to my 150Mb download :-)
  • Reply 86 of 87
    auxio said:

yes our local council flooded in iPads, gave them to field workers, who use them for email and then they make notes on paper which secretaries back in the office type up on desktops - your rose tinted view of an Apple future isn't as rosy as you may think!
    And this is the very reason Microsoft still has marketshare: the people who are too old to, or can't be bothered to, change their ways.  And I'm speaking from office experience (in tech companies no less) where people would rather spend inordinate amounts of time doing things the one way they know how (likely the first way they learned how) than to try and explore alternatives or find more efficient ways to do things.  We'll see what happens when that generation leaves the workplace and is replaced by those who grew up using touch-based devices... it's already visible in small, owner-run businesses where there's incentive to be more efficient/minimize costs.

why should they change their ways to fit YOUR concept of progress - the iPad Pro or otherwise is not the universal panacea for business use of technology