Apple Maps debuts Nearby in 4 countries, expands Flyover and Traffic support

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2016
Apple on Tuesday strengthened its in-house mapping service with the rollout of five new Flyover locales, additional Traffic support and the activation of Nearby search in four countries.

As noted on Apple's Maps Feature Availability webpage, users living in Austria, Denmark, Japan and Switzerland can now access proximity-based Nearby search results on iPhone and iPad. The feature went live in Austria and Japan last week, though Apple did not release an official announcement at the time.

Nearby as part of iOS 9 to grant users quick access to proximity-based point-of-interest search results. Pulling data from multiple third-party sources, Nearby aggregates close by POI locations into categories, including food, drinks, shopping, travel, services, entertainment, health and transportation, each of which contains subcategories for further filtering.

Maps also expanded Flyover support with 3D imagery covering Augsburg, Braunshweif and Hanover in Germany, Newcastle upon Tyne in England and the Japanese prefecture of Niigata. Flyover is a tentpole Maps feature that offers a photorealistic bird's-eye view of popular and well-trafficked destinations.

Finally, Apple flipped the switch on real-time road traffic data in areas of Turkey.

The latest Maps changes come just over one week after Apple released iOS 9.3, which itself introduced a host of features like Night Shift and secure Notes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Yawn. Let me know when Apple actually, seriously commits resources to this.  It didn't take Google this long to roll out street view, world wide, and this isn't as expensive as street view.  I use Apple maps for basic stuff, but it isn't at the point you can delete the google maps app. That should be the benchmark apple is aiming for.  When thousands of people can confidently delete google maps from their phones, they will know they have a good product.  This sclerotic, periodic updating is just lame.
    buzdotsmdriftmeyerksec
  • Reply 2 of 25
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    entropys said:
    It didn't take Google this long to roll out street view, world wide, and this isn't as expensive as street view.  
    Actually, Google has been working on StreetView for 9 years now and they are still not done. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coverage_of_Google_Street_View
    jbdragonnolamacguy
  • Reply 3 of 25
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    I travel all over North America, city and rural (to be fair, not much outside of that continent though). Deleted Google Maps on day one, got lost once eight years ago. It's been rock solid ever since as far as I can tell. Also, as bkerkay points out, Google Maps still not "complete" (as if that could ever be a thing) and much too commerce-oriented rather than "best route" oriented. So frankly, entropys, you're talking out of your GPS hole.
    Solijay-tjbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    entropys said:
    Yawn. Let me know when Apple actually, seriously commits resources to this.  It didn't take Google this long to roll out street view, world wide, and this isn't as expensive as street view.  I use Apple maps for basic stuff, but it isn't at the point you can delete the google maps app. That should be the benchmark apple is aiming for.  When thousands of people can confidently delete google maps from their phones, they will know they have a good product.  This sclerotic, periodic updating is just lame.
    1) How do you know the cost differences of these street-level views? Why is LiDAR technology less expensive than a simple digital photo?

2) What was the timeframe for Google's StreetView going "world wide"? I'm seeing it was started in 2001 and didn't launch until mid-2007, and even then it was only in the US. I think it's only been a little over a year since I first heard about an Apple Maps van on the road, and I don't think it was until last June that Apple officially acknowledged the unmarked vans. Is there word from Apple when they first started to collect this data?

3) If I consider the privacy concerns with StreetView, the many changes Google has made over the last decade, and Apple's long history and deep concern for privacy, I have to wonder if you're being both too harsh and shortsighted about what this sort of effort entails.

4) I'm certain thousands of people have confidently deleted Google maps. I don't even use Google Maps or Earth on my Mac, as Maps works great for my needs. I especially like that I can look up a business or address on Maps, and then on my iPhone it's the most recent item. Very convenient for me.

5) Personally, I expect we'll see a major update to Maps this year when they demo iOS X. This is very unlikely, but I'd love to see their OverPass(?) service intelligently remove vehicles and people from the roads. Using the different angles for which it records 3D images, as well known objects, this is certainly possible, although probably very time and processing prohibitive within the next decade. Perhaps more likely, although atypical for Apple, I'd like to see modern-browser portal for Apple Maps.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Nearby now available in the Czech Republic. FYI  :)
    chia
  • Reply 6 of 25
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    entropys said:
    Google Maps is the benchmark?

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/25/technology/google-maps-house/index.html

google Maps wasn't built in day. It took them 5 years to correct a dangerous and illegal turn using their directions. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 7 of 25
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    entropys said:
    entropys said:
    Neither is perfect. When I informed both Apple and Google of about 100 missing new homes on thier maps Apple corrected within days but nearly 2 years later and one reminder Google has not corrected.
    ration al
  • Reply 8 of 25
    dachar said:
    entropys said:
    Neither is perfect. When I informed both Apple and Google of about 100 missing new homes on thier maps Apple corrected within days but nearly 2 years later and one reminder Google has not corrected.
    I've informed Apple of about 8 simple things to be corrected, and upon my last check none have been fixed.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So, as usual, the comments section has degenerated into a pissing contest between Google Maps lovers and Apple Maps lovers. All of which are personal, anecdotal opinions with no substantive information to show one is better than the other.
    edited March 2016 ration allostkiwifotoformatchianolamacguy
  • Reply 10 of 25
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    entropys said:
    It took a fracking long time. Basically you have no clue.
    jbdragonnolamacguy
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Soli said:
    dachar said:
    I've informed Apple of about 8 simple things to be corrected, and upon my last check none have been fixed.
    Google has not fixed a road (it's 800 feet long and missing) in the middle of the city... For 6 years,
    The incredible thing is that this road was built in the 1990s, before Google even came in!
    No clue what the problem is with that.

Near my cottage, they have the wrong name on a street since the start despite asking at least 10 times for them to change it; people of the wrong name people that use Google to get to it always get lost (they're sent the exact opposite way cause east and west have been switched on the street name) and I have to tell them to not use Google.
    Again, no fix for years.

Near my grandparent's house in New Brunswick, an entire road segment is missing forcing a long detour for anyone who uses Google to get there.

The funny thing in those missing cases is that often the satellite view is all right (as expected).
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 12 of 25
    lkrupp said:
    So, as usual, the comments section has degenerated into a pissing contest between Google Maps lovers and Apple Maps lovers. All of which are personal, anecdotal opinions with no substantive information to show one is better than the other.
    How the hell could there be a "substantive info"?  Polling?
    Pretty hard to remove bias in the questions of such a polling.

Even if there existed a global analysis, it wouldn't matter because it's the maps that we depend most, the info they provide that help us most,
     that actually matters not those in another country and the services we never use.

So, by default, anecdotes and personal satisfaction will trump all.

At most, you could test satisfaction, usage and people switching from one service to another and the reason that happened,
    and that would probably be a better gauge of anything than a purely technical analysis.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Outside of major metro areas, Apple Maps is accurate, but all their hyped add-on services are DOA.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    crudmancrudman Posts: 56member
    foggyhill said:
    lkrupp said:
    How the hell could there be a "substantive info"?  Polling?
    Pretty hard to remove bias in the questions of such a polling.

Even if there existed a global analysis, it wouldn't matter because it's the maps that we depend most, the info they provide that help us most,
     that actually matters not those in another country and the services we never use.

So, by default, anecdotes and personal satisfaction will trump all.

At most, you could test satisfaction, usage and people switching from one service to another and the reason that happened,
    and that would probably be a better gauge of anything than a purely technical analysis.
    I live in Canada, but travel a fair bit. My preference in Canada & the US is nearly always Apple Maps as I find the directions to be "better" at least in my anecdotatal experience. However, when I'm in Ireland, I have to say that I find Google Maps to be stronger, but specifically because of transit and walking directions (in Dublin at any rate). In Barbados Apple Maps was nearly useless, whereas Google Maps was at best okay (but showed 2 roads where there were no roads forcing me to do some fancy backtracking while on the wrong side of the road). 

My brother on the other hand uses maps...yeah, paper, fold-up maps. I know, right? :)

• Reply 15 of 25
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    entropys said:
    This post shows me that you understand very little of the technology you're talking about, and possibly a troll.

BTW, is anyone has a bug in Map on iPhone that the pinned location will show incorrect place, sometimes possibly Kilometres away? This happens to me since iOS 8, maybe before. You can test this easily. Pin some place on your iPhone, add to contact or favourite it then tap it. If it bring you back to original place then you don't have this problem I'm having.
    This bug is very annoying. I have to use Mac Map app for pinning location instead.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 16 of 25
    matrix077 said:
    BTW, is anyone has a bug in Map on iPhone that the pinned location will show incorrect place, sometimes possibly Kilometres away? This happens to me since iOS 8, maybe before.
    I don't get that, but I do still get a basic search for a local place putting the pin for a real place in some other state or country nowhere near my location. I feel that it should logically look for a best match in my area before looking for the exact match throughout the world, when I didn't type in a city because I had already hit the button to get the map over my area.
    chia
  • Reply 17 of 25
    "Braunshweif"? ... Braunschweig!
  • Reply 18 of 25
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    Soli said:
    matrix077 said:
    BTW, is anyone has a bug in Map on iPhone that the pinned location will show incorrect place, sometimes possibly Kilometres away? This happens to me since iOS 8, maybe before.
    I don't get that, 
    Thanks. I figure. There would be outcry if this bug happens to everyone.
    It must have something to do with address format in my country then. Strange that on Mac it's accurate. Wonder what iPhone did that the Mac didn't.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 19 of 25
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member

Flyover is a tentpole Maps feature that offers a photorealistic bird's-eye view of popular and well-trafficked destinations.
    "Photorealistic" is a bit of a stretch isn't it? 
  • Reply 20 of 25
    What is sorely missing is Flyover of Lübeck, Germany. Also, what’s up with D.C. not being covered, yet? Actually, I think, I can answer that question. Apple probably can’t get the permit from Homeland to do the data collection, because the only aircraft allowed in the air space over D.C. are pretty much the Marines and the Coast Guard.