Apple CEO Tim Cook, other tech leaders call on North Carolina to repeal anti-LGBT law

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2016
More than 80 high ranking executives and business leaders on Tuesday signed an open letter asking Governor Pat McCrory and the North Carolina General Assembly to repeal a recently passed law that effectively allows for lawful discrimination against the LGBT community.

Apple's Maiden, N.C. solar farm. | Source: Apple

Drawn up by the Human Rights Campaign, the letter (PDF Link) decries the recently passed House Bill 2, a piece of legislation critics say eliminates non-discrimination protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.

Referred to as HB 2, the bill was pushed through the state's General Assembly in response to a Charlotte ordinance protecting transgender individuals' rights to use bathrooms of the gender with which they identify. The law bars transgender people -- including students at public schools -- from entering bathrooms, locker rooms and other facilities inconsistent with the gender listed on their birth certificate.

Last week, civil rights groups, sports organizations and other large businesses publicly denounced the law's passage. Along with Cisco, Facebook, Google and IBM, an unnamed Apple representative on Friday told media outlets that the company was "disappointed" in the legislation.

Disappointment seems to be a recurring theme for detractors issuing public statements on the matter, and the same sentiment was expressed in today's letter to Gov. McCrory.

"We are disappointed in your decision to sign this discriminatory legislation into law. The business community, by and large, has consistently communicated to lawmakers at every level that such laws are bad for our employees and bad for business," the letter reads. "This is not a direction in which states move when they are seeking to provide successful, thriving hubs for business and economic development."

It goes on to say that HB 2 makes recruitment and staff management difficult for employers in the state, and acts as a drag on the region's economic vitality. As leaders of companies conducting business with, or in, North Carolina, the signatories ask HB 2 be repealed during an upcoming legislative session. Apple operates five retail location and a giant data center in Maiden which draws power from three nearby solar farms, also owned and staffed by the company.

The letter is to be delivered to Gov. McCrory on Thursday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    I don't expect many politicians whose heads are embedded in the outflow end of the Confederate alimentary canal - to respect or listen to the leaders of modern industry and technology.  They only provide jobs and income.  Southern religious tradition is worth more than that to these pitiful leftovers from the lost cause of slavery.
    baconstangmdriftmeyerbirkopaxmanlondoriosenthusiastminicoffeekoop
  • Reply 2 of 109
    eideard said:
    I don't expect many politicians whose heads are embedded in the outflow end of the Confederate alimentary canal - to respect or listen to the leaders of modern industry and technology.  They only provide jobs and income.  Southern religious tradition is worth more than that to these pitiful leftovers from the lost cause of slavery.
    A response typical of a big city ivory tower type who looks down on flyover country. 

This bill doesn't make things hard on business, and it's time state governments stood up to bullies. 
    tallest skilchuck1252designricoco3buzdots
  • Reply 3 of 109
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Personally, I don't want some hairy guy wearing a dress in the bathroom with my 6-year-old daughter.
    tallest skilgenovellechuck1252icoco3buzdotsentropys
  • Reply 4 of 109
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    roake said:
    Personally, I don't want some hairy guy wearing a dress in the bathroom with my 6-year-old daughter.
    Agree. Sometimes even though with good intention things can go too far.

In the old days, it's an easy sell for America. Looks at the land of freedom, the democracy. Everybody loves that. Everyone love having freedom. Now it's tough. You want democracy? Beware! You'll get same sex marriage.
    edited March 2016 roakeicoco3buzdotsentropys
  • Reply 5 of 109
    roake said:
    Personally, I don't want some hairy guy "straight" man cruising in a North Carolina bathroom with my 6-year-old son. 
    edited March 2016 baconstangxbitlondoriosenthusiast
  • Reply 6 of 109
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    roake said:
    North Carolina politicians seem oblivious to the high quality of modern gender reassignment procedures and what the implications are: North Carolina law now requires a person who was biologically female at birth, who now identifies as male, and looks convincingly male, following surgeries and hormone therapies, to use the same bathroom as your daughter. Your daughter won't see a guy wearing a dress in the bathroom, she'll just see a guy in there, dressed as a guy — a guy who lost the choice to use the men's room because he has XX chromosomes. Do you expect that trans people who had "unnoticeable" surgery should just secretly break the law and use the bathroom they look like they belong in, because they probably won't get caught? That's going against the law. Is the law just supposed to apply to trans people who don't look "normal"?
    baconstanglondoriosenthusiast1timeminicoffeelikethesky
  • Reply 7 of 109
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Lame. Tech leaders stick with tech please. 
    tallest skilchuck1252designricoco3buzdotsentropys
  • Reply 8 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    NemWan said:
    North Carolina politicians seem oblivious to the high quality...
    You seem oblivious to mental illness.
    designricoco3roake
  • Reply 9 of 109
    jet23jet23 Posts: 12member
    eideard said:
    A response typical of a big city ivory tower type who looks down on flyover country. 

This bill doesn't make things hard on business, and it's time state governments stood up to bullies. 
    Long time reader, first time poster. Your comment is so misinformed I was forced to open an account to respond. Nice of you to have empathy for "flyover country." Too bad you can't extend the same courtesy to your fellow human being. If you can't see how passing discriminatory legislation against LGBT people makes it harder for Apple to hire the best people (and convince the best people to move to North Carolina), then it just demonstrates how irrelevant your opinions are to Apple's business practices, anyway. Calling Apple and the plethora of other companies "bullies" on this issue would be laughable, if the practice of policing bathrooms and shaming children wasn't so horrific.

I can see based on the other comments in this thread that you are not alone in your ignorance, however. Take comfort in your majority in this virtual space. I pray that if someone close to you comes out as transgender you have the civility to hold your hateful tongue.
    roake said:
    This is the line, isn't it? The misinformed premise used to sell this disgrace of a law to the uninformed. If you're so concerned about child molesters (I assume that's your actual fear, unless you're actually afraid of guys in dresses), then why aren't you worried about boys being assaulted by creeps in the men's restroom? Why not women assaulting girls? Your assumption that someone who is transgender is more likely to cause harm to a child is patently offensive and absurd.
    NemWan said:
    North Carolina politicians seem oblivious to the high quality...
    You seem oblivious to mental illness.
    Oh, are you a doctor? If you are, I pray you never have a transgender patient. Let me guess, you'd prescribe shock therapy? Or are you one of those "pray the gay away" types?

If these forums actually modeled the high standard of excellence and originality that Apple itself aspires to in its rhetoric and products, then the dialogue expressed on this topic would be a cause for shame in this community. As it stands, however, I am fairly certain that my words will be baselessly attacked with hateful language, if my comments are not first deleted by complicit moderators.
    edited March 2016 nelmatbaconstangbloodstainspaxmansphericlondoriosenthusiastspice-boyeliangonzalwaverboy
  • Reply 10 of 109
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    NemWan said:
    roake said:
    North Carolina politicians seem oblivious to the high quality of modern gender reassignment procedures and what the implications are: North Carolina law now requires a person who was biologically female at birth, who now identifies as male, and looks convincingly male, following surgeries and hormone therapies, to use the same bathroom as your daughter. Your daughter won't see a guy wearing a dress in the bathroom, she'll just see a guy in there, dressed as a guy — a guy who lost the choice to use the men's room because he has XX chromosomes. Do you expect that trans people who had "unnoticeable" surgery should just secretly break the law and use the bathroom they look like they belong in, because they probably won't get caught? That's going against the law. Is the law just supposed to apply to trans people who don't look "normal"?
    This is a law that should not have been needed. If you have a penis you should not be in the girls bathroom. Period. Women should not have to share a bathroom with a man who "claims" he identifies as a woman. If you want to pass a law protecting transgender then require a new bathroom be built for them. If the suggestion is that they don't look at women in that way, then should gays and lesbians be in the same bathrooms and locker rooms as straight people since they are?  The reason bathrooms are not unisex is to allow a level of security and comfort to undress in a public place to do your business. 
    chuck1252tallest skilbuzdots
  • Reply 11 of 109

genovelle said:
    NemWan said:
    If you want to pass a law protecting transgender then require a new bathroom be built for them.
    I thought I was being naïve thinking about having a separate bathroom for transgenders. But somehow, it still would be discrimination right? I don't know if there is a right answer to the debate.  
  • Reply 12 of 109
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    genovelle said:
    NemWan said:
    This is a law that should not have been needed. If you have a penis you should not be in the girls bathroom. Period. Women should not have to share a bathroom with a man who "claims" he identifies as a woman. If you want to pass a law protecting transgender then require a new bathroom be built for them. If the suggestion is that they don't look at women in that way, then should gays and lesbians be in the same bathrooms and locker rooms as straight people since they are?  The reason bathrooms are not unisex is to allow a level of security and comfort to undress in a public place to do your business. 
    We've been fracking through this before, trans me (born female transitioning to male) look like other men
     and how will women feel about these people in their dressing room and bathroom.

With this law, ANY man will be able to waltz into a woman's bathroom, since that's how trans men look.

There are already fucking laws against criminal behavior inside and outside bathrooms.
    Little sign on doors in no way is a deterrent against criminal behavior; it's the fact that there is so much foot traffic in bathrooms which is a deterrent.
    That's why in fact there is so little crime in public bathrooms (and none from "men dressing as women" to commit some)
    There are private stalls in bathroom and private parts are never in view : male or female.

Funny how all this fracking information seem to go damn evacuate your mind hey.

The weird thing is that by denying the very existence of trans men, which are as plentiful as trans women, you are both denying their manhood, and treating as non threatening because they're born women (a form of misogyny and paternalism)  and weirdly having a kind of misandry in thinking anyone with a penis is automatically dangerous! Yes, it's possible to be both a misogynist and a misandrist

Also, somehow forgetting that well, men are with children are on the men's side? Are these boys in danger, are only girls in danger if they're in contact with the big bad men (sic)?  Because if men are dangerous to children (because pedophiles aren't interested in just girls don't you know), then surely there should be a bathroom for grown men separate from the one for children too... hmmm?

As I said, not thinking this thing through AT ALL.
    edited March 2016 baconstangbloodstainslondoriosenthusiast
  • Reply 13 of 109
    birkobirko Posts: 60member
    roake said:
    Under the new laws this guy will be made to go to the ladies

http://www.advocate.com/transgender/2015/12/10/watch-men-strut-annual-transgender-bodybuilding-contest

Many people born ladies but are now men also have had phalloplasty and now have a penis. So under the new rules you will musclebound, hairy men with penises, but who were born women, being told to use the women's toilets.

And many people born males have has sexual reasignment surgery and had their male genitalia reshaped to look and function like female genitalia.

Either way this goes you will have some people upset, so why not do it in a way that discriminates least. This also happens to be the way most people won't notice that there is a transgender person using their toilets, and is least likely to instil fear into people wondering it that is a man born a man using the women's toilets or a man born a women using the women's toilets.-
    edited March 2016 londorwaverboy
  • Reply 14 of 109
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    Can someone explain American restrooms to me, please? Don't women's restroom have cubicles? How are you ever going to see someone else's genitalia in there?

This is an invented problem, dreamt up in the sick minds of conservatives. How many sexual assaults have been committed by trans people in bathrooms? Far fewer than those committed by conservative politicians, I would guess.
    bloodstainslondoriosenthusiastwaverboy1timebaconstangkoop
  • Reply 15 of 109
    joogabahjoogabah Posts: 139member
    NemWan said:
    roake said:

This commenter highlights what is central to the pro-trans argument.  Surgically transform gay people into heterosexuals.  It is not possible for a man to become a woman or vice versa.  That is just a refusal of reality.   And “woman” as a construct is not something to desire to emulate.  It is ritualized submission to men.  Dolling oneself up into a sexual object is not “liberating”.  Quite the opposite.  It is reducing oneself to an hors d’oeuvre for the consumption of men who feel entitled to a little bit of everybody.  All of the characteristically feminine artifacts are means and methods to attract dominating men.  That’s why lesbians appear unfeminine.  That’s why people think all gay men want to be f**d up the a** and have no self respect (since society didn’t assign them the subordinate gender, why would they perform it willingly?)

Gender is socially constructed but it is not individually chosen.  Masculinity is assigned to biological males and femininity is assigned to biological females with no consideration of what they want.  Choosing the submissive gender because one cannot adequately perform the dominating gender does nothing to dismantle the gender system.  It is a heterosexual cop out and a denial of the possibility of radical equality.  It also means the literal castration of gay people, which is blithely accepted without comment by the poster above.

Masculinity and Femininity are both equally problematic.  That was the original message of gay liberation.  It was ok to not conform.  It wasn't about switching teams and cutting off your d**k.

I'm gay, in the original sense of the word.  And I'm not afraid to make controversial statements to illiberal people who seem to want to silence opinions they don't like.  It doesn't occur to them that ideas don't exist in their fully developed state but are living and dynamic, always in motion and the dialog is what is important, so silencing any opinion just slows the progression of thought.

prokip
  • Reply 16 of 109
    I miss Steve Jobs.

:(
    buzdotsentropys
  • Reply 17 of 109
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    scxfan said:
    I miss Steve Jobs.

:(
    Yep, so do I.
    entropys
  • Reply 18 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jet23 said:
    If you can’t see how passing discriminatory legislation against LGBT people...
    If you can’t see how this isn’t that...
    ...the practice of policing bathrooms and shaming children wasn’t so horrific.
    Some people would say that forcing their daughters to share bathrooms with men is horrific.
    ...ignorance...
    You’re gonna want to try again.
    Take comfort in your majority in this virtual space.
    I’m pretty sure the majority HERE is in favor of trannies, but statistically we’re in the majority.
    I pray that if someone close to you comes out as transgender you have the civility to hold your hateful tongue.
    Learn what hate is, for fuck’s sake.
    If you're so concerned about child molesters (I assume that's your actual fear, unless you're actually afraid of guys in dresses), then why aren't you worried about boys being assaulted by creeps in the men's restroom?
    Because of statistics? Because your fallacy is meaningless to the point? Take your pick.
    Your assumption that someone who is transgender is more likely to cause harm to a child is patently offensive and absurd.
    Except it’s proven by every statistic ever recorded, so why not stop supporting mental illness and come back to reality?
    Oh, are you a doctor?
    Appeal to authority. Try the fuck again.
     If you are, I pray you never have a transgender patient.
    You’ve made it clear that you prefer mental illness to go untreated, so your opinion is instantaneously meaningless.
    Let me guess, you'd prescribe shock therapy? Or are you one of those "pray the gay away" types?
    Cute, more fallacies.
    ...the dialogue expressed on this topic would be a cause for shame in this community.
    Your beliefs are pretty shameful.
    ...hateful language,
    Learn what hate is.
    ...complicit moderators.
    The only one I’ve seen weigh in supports your side, so shut the fuck up about your victim complex and stop supporting mental illness.
    xbit said:
    ...see...
    You know that’s not the point, but of course you don’t fucking care.
    This is an invented problem
    Transsexualism? Yeah, the delusion that it’s legitimate is invented.
    ...the sick minds of conservatives.
    Statistically trannies are liberal, since moral relativism is necessary to think that you’re not mentally ill for believing you’re not what you actually are.
    How many sexual assaults have been committed by trans people in bathrooms? Far fewer than those committed by conservative politicians, I would guess.
    You’d guess wrong, then. How pathetic.
    edited March 2016 designricoco3ewtheckmanentropys
  • Reply 19 of 109
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    jet23 said:

Oh, are you a doctor?

Yes, thank you for asking!  In fact, I AM a doctor - in a large city at an extremely busy hospital.  I'm an M.D., but not a psychiatrist (they couldn't pay me enough).  I've taken care if plenty of LGBT patients.  I don't address their psychiatric issues, just their medical problems.  Interesting, however, is that I have had *many* LGBT patients, but zero that did not admit to a plethora of psychiatric problems, not just the usual anxiety and depression, but the much more serious psychiatric diagnoses - the ones that get them on government disability.  I wonder if that's significant somehow...
    edited March 2016 tallest skilewtheckmanentropys
  • Reply 20 of 109
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    It saddens me that people that should be open minded are filled with hate for things that they don't understand and even worse they refuse to even listen to those that could be discriminated against in this country of supposed "equality". Most of the people I know that are fans of Apple products were able to "Think different" but it appears from the postings here that anything different is to be feared and loathed. I work with a transgender person and that person is as decent a human being as some of you could only dream of being. The same argument about sharing a public bathroom that is different from yourself has been used in the south since "whites only" signs where on restroom doors. Saying that trans-gender people are child molesters is about as low as you can get on the empathy scale. People in this country which have not traveled and seen alternatives to how they live too often condemn those different from themselves. Americans which live in bigger, diverse cities tend to be more open minded due to their familiarity to "others" different from themselves. The "flyover" states are that for a reason and it is legislation like this law that keeps a lot of people from wanting to visit or do business there. Until states which enact discrimation laws step back from them, I hope people who truly believe in the most basic of human rights boycotts these states the way many large corporations are planning to doing so. These laws are un-American and based on hate and ignorance. 
    sphericlondorbanchobaconstang