Apple's iPhone SE vs. iPhone 6s: Does price outweigh size?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mac_128 said:

---

Your list, with so many yes/no/yes entries makes it pretty clear the 6/6+ are going away this September.  The new line-up will read yes/yes/yes more often, reducing the dimensions of comparison consumers need to weigh.  
    Nah, I still think the 6/6+ will be kept around to offer the largest possible phones for the lowest possible price to the Android crowd convert stragglers. It also allows them to drop the SE even further down to $299 after the 7 comes out, and the 6s drops $100 in price. I wouldn't be surprised to see a complete price restructuring that drops the 6 down to $399 and the 6+ to $499. 
    They're certainly NOT dropping the SE to $300, you can bank on that. It may be cut $50, that's not even a certainty.
    baconstang
  • Reply 22 of 32
    A lot of the purchase now are leased so a hundred or hundred and fifty dollars more on a $750 purchase is only just $4 or $5 more each month!
  • Reply 23 of 32
    mcarling said:
    I want maximum features in a phone-sized (3.5" or 4") iPhone and don't care about price (as long as it's less than $1000).  I wouldn't use a phablet-sized (4.5" or larger) iPhone if it were free without a contract.
    I hate you. I literally made an account today just to say I hate you and everything you stand for.

SIZE IS A LIMITING FACTOR. If you want a "phone" then you seriously overpaid Apple for a phone. What your thinking of is called a "smartphone". What maximum features do you honestly expect? If it's a longer battery life, a better display, a better camera then you need a bigger phone asshat. The larger display in the Plus isn't the only maximum feature your missing out on.

1080p display, a bigger battery and optical zoom are three things the Plus gets as maximum features because there is room. If you just want to talk and text you should have bought a flip phone and it even has a smaller display to give you your "phone" functions.

I take it you just like people to know you have an iPhone and can afford it without really understanding what all those engineers sacrifice to put in it using it to 10% of its capability.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Barometer, LTE-A, and the 128GB are the real downsides for those who want it, there are plenty of people who buy newer phones with 64GB capacity, so for many that's not an issue.

I have a few iPhones since I travel between countries and have permanent numbers in some of them.
    While I'm happy to have on 6s plus with T-Mobile's global data on it, which is useful for maps, news reading, etc. without worrying about data roaming and without the need to get a local data SIM for the iPad because the 6s plus has big enough of a screen to replace the iPad in such situations where data roaming would be an issue, I would have loved to replace my 5s travel phone if a new phone with more than 64GB and ApplePay had been available, I find the smaller phones, even after using the 6s plus, to be more ergonomic; just holding the 6s plus for extended periods tends to result in a crampy/sore feeling in the hands, since because it's so thin it cuts into the blood circulation and tendons (particularly if the phone has a case)
    The 5s is held much more relaxed.

I also thing the article is just Apple PR when it talks of the "old design" of the SE. It's old only in that it was shown first, however it's just as beautiful if not more so than the current designs, and one might add, the current designs may be cheaper to make, since the skip some steps.
    The old design is also more functional as you can stand the phone on a table without additional gadgets e.g. to take a photo or watch a video, or use Cycloramic to automatically shoot a panoramic picture; none of which works with these "better and newer" designs.
    baconstang
  • Reply 25 of 32
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    pmz said:
    The people that make decisions based on price on doing so without a single consideration for other factors. These are the "I don't want a smartphone at all if it costs me more than X dollars" people. So, many of those people today, tomorrow, next year....they will purchase the iPhone SE. And since the iPhone SE is such a great phone, it will create a positive experience for those buyers. And potentially creating future customers for something more advanced (and expensive).

Every other buyer makes their iPhone decision based on size (with varying degrees of consideration for other factors).

Then maybe 0.1% of buyers make their decision based on some other random factor.
    I opted for the iPhone 6s based on its internals. After five months, I'm still annoyed by its size. My next phone will probably be a 4" model, again. If it's cheaper, to boot, I won't be complaining. But price won't be the reason for my purchase.

But I'm hoping that by that time, Apple will be offering a 4" phone actually equivalent to its larger siblings - same specs, same display quality, and 128 GB storage. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 26 of 32
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    foggyhill said:
    mac_128 said:

Nah, I still think the 6/6+ will be kept around to offer the largest possible phones for the lowest possible price to the Android crowd convert stragglers. It also allows them to drop the SE even further down to $299 after the 7 comes out, and the 6s drops $100 in price. I wouldn't be surprised to see a complete price restructuring that drops the 6 down to $399 and the 6+ to $499. 
    They're certainly NOT dropping the SE to $300, you can bank on that. It may be cut $50, that's not even a certainty.
    I don't think I'll take your advice where Apple is concerned. If you had told anyone a week ago that Apple would release a new 4" phone functionally equivalent to the 6s, and sell it for $250 less nobody would have believed you.

Apple has a phone now that in 6 months will be last year's technology. The two phones it's based on will all be depreciated by $100. At some point the SE will likewise have to depreciate. And the magic number has been $100 since the 2nd gen. iPhone was released. There's a huge market in the under $300 range that Apple has not been able to address, but the SE is the first phone that puts them in a position to do so. I also see the SE filling the "whole numbers" segment of the iPhone pricing structure, so no $50 drops.

I fully expect the SE to sell for $199 before it's discontinued. That may take 3 years, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    For me the only important factor are a A9 phone with a 4" screen in small case and good battery life.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Thank you for this review! I admit that I had not heard of the iPhone SE before I went to upgrade my 5S. I had been planning to get the 6, but I'm not wild about the size. Based on this review, I confidently went with the SE. 
  • Reply 29 of 32
    sog35 said:
    For me the 4 inch screen is just way too small.

I own a 5s and 6+ and I rarely use my 5s except for listening to podcast or music.

I hope Apple makes a 5 inch phone. To me the 5.5 is too big and the 4.7 is too small.

But what we really need to THREE top tier phones

iPhone 7 Pro - 5.8 inch
    iPhone 7 -  5.0 inch
    iPhone 7m - 4.0 inch
    Agreed. They need three sizes: iPhone 7 Plus = 5.5/5.8 inches. iPhone 7 = 4.7/5 inches iPhone 7 SE = 4 inch (it could be have a, let's say, gold plating and cost more than the rest and I'd still buy it).The gold plating making it a "Special Edition". I'm 6'1 with huge ass hands but I like small phones.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Great design is timeless.  Of course it requires years removed to gage it's standing and endurance. 
    By most accounts, iPhone 4s/5/SE form factor seems to be aging quite nicely. 
    Frankly, I wish Apple would do this more with some of their older products...Nike does this with their shoes. 

I would venture to guess a special edition Cube or iMac G4, with updated specs, would sell like crazy.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    I haven't seen many people relating the iPhone SE to the 5C but it hits the same target audience at an even lower price point. Apple was selling the 4" 5C at $549 in 2013. Now you get a premium design and much better internals for $150 less.

On top of that, they added the Rose Gold option, which wasn't available in this design before:

Rather than thinking of it as a competitor to the 6-series, it can be thought of as a much better replacement for Apple's previous entry-level phone models. $399 is still a pretty high price to a lot of people for a phone so it has to be compelling enough to pay this price and this design easily holds that value.