iOS 9.3 Apple's 'most stable new release in years,' app analytics firm finds

Posted:
in iPhone
In spite of some publicized glitches, including an activation bug that affected older devices, iOS 9.3 is Apple's "most stable new release in years," an app analytics firm said on Wednesday.

During the past eight days 9.3 has had a crash rate of just 2.2 percent, easily making it the most stable iOS release in circulation, Apteligent claimed. The software trumped even the latest version of Android, which saw its crashes hover around 2.6 percent.

Other major iOS releases have been much more problematic this month by comparison, especially iOS 8, 9, and 9.2. All three are more crash prone, and last week saw their crash rates briefly shoot over 3.2 percent. iOS 9.3 witnessed a spike around the same time, but remained well below other versions, even the comparatively stable iOS 9.1.

A Web link bug actually affects iOS versions as far back as 9.0.2, and turns out to be connected to Booking.com and its affiliated apps, rather than the iOS 9.3 update. Nevertheless, Apple promised to correct the problem in a future software update.

More seriously, the initial distributions of iOS 9.3 caused users of some older devices to be stuck on the Activation Lock screen. Apple ultimately seeded new builds, but some people may have had to restore their devices via iTunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    Too bad Spotlight Search is still broken, my #1 daily used feature.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I hope to God the two biggest headlining features of iOS 10 are stability and speed with serious work gone into both areas. These are the two most important features of any operating system, but especially a mobile release. I'm done with all this fading-nonsense on iOS. Waking up and unlocking iPhones has been consistently more buggy on iOS 7 or greater than on iOS 6 or any release prior.

I'm done with the whole fading up and fading off crap. I much preferred the snappy way an iOS 6 iPhone would wake up and lock. The fading got old one week into using iOS 7. We need productivity and reliability, not this buggy fading nonsense.

And what's up with swiping to the next or previous home screen since iOS 7. On iOS 6 I could unlock and immediately swipe to another home screen. Now we must wait for a moment even on a 6s and we're nearly up to iOS 10 now?? Makes no sense to me. These are details that Jobs would have fired someone over. It's a disgrace IMO. On iOS 6 I could swipe to the next home screen even as the icons flew in during unlock. It was alive, vital and fluid and the whole OS felt more smooth.

Apple needs to stop throwing features at iOS and get all the existing ones to work right. I've had AirPlay and AirDrop issues for almost two years now on and off, and I'm talking with every device I own. And my wifi is quite solid and very fast; it's not an issue with my network, these are software bugs. Enough of the yearly marketing releases. Let's have a solid two years of Snow Leopard-releases to fix all this crap.
    edited March 2016 command_f
  • Reply 3 of 57
    ireland said:
    I hope to God the two biggest headlining features of iOS 10 are stability and speed with serious work gone into both areas. These are the two most important features of any operating system, but especially a mobile release. I'm done with all this fading-nonsense on iOS. Waking up and unlocking iPhones has been consistently more buggy on iOS 7 or greater than on iOS 6 or any release prior.

I'm done with the whole fading up and fading off crap. I much preferred the snappy way an iOS 6 iPhone won't up and went to sleep. The fading got old one week into using iOS 7. We need productivity and reliability, not this buggy fading nonsense.

And what's up with swiping to the next or previous home screen since iOS 7. On iOS I would unlock and immediately swipe to another home screen. Now we must wait for a moment even on a 6s and we're almost at iOS 10. It almost makes no sense to me. These are details that Jobs would have fired someone over. It's a disgrace IMO. On iOS I would swipe to the next home screen even as the icons flew in during unlock. It was alive, vital and fluid and the whole OS felt more smooth.

Apple needs to stop throwing features at iOS and get all the existing ones to work right. I've had AirPlay and AirDrop issues for almost two years now on and off, and I'm talking with every device I own. And my wifi is quite solid and very fast.
    Turn off animations, problem solved. 

OS X is a lot worse than iOS is with regards to stability. It has a very old, failing file system that should have been replaced years ago, lots of legacy cruft that needs to be pruned...I feel Apple's time would be better spent there at the moment. 
  • Reply 4 of 57
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Too bad Spotlight Search is still broken, my #1 daily used feature.
    Seems to be working fine here 
    ai46magman1979stevehjbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 57
    You're blaming me for Apple's software bugs?
  • Reply 6 of 57

sog35 said:
    is this a joke post? or real?

if real. Damn. What a life you live. 
    I'm a stickler for software quality. Yes it was a rant but there's a line of truth running through it. It's no coincidence that pretty much all the most well known Apple guys out there are bummed by Apple's software quality. It's not imagined. You don't need to be defensive about it. Craig and Cue never needed to do software quality damage control before for a reason.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 7 of 57
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    ireland said:

I'm done with the whole fading up and fading off crap. I much preferred the snappy way an iOS 6 iPhone would wake up and lock. The fading got old one week into using iOS 7. We need productivity and reliability, not this buggy fading nonsense.

And what's up with swiping to the next or previous home screen since iOS 7. On iOS 6 I could unlock and immediately swipe to another home screen. Now we must wait for a moment even on a 6s and we're nearly up to iOS 10 now?? Makes no sense to me. These are details that Jobs would have fired someone over. It's a disgrace IMO. On iOS 6 I could swipe to the next home screen even as the icons flew in during unlock. It was alive, vital and fluid and the whole OS felt more smooth.

Apple needs to stop throwing features at iOS and get all the existing ones to work right. I've had AirPlay and AirDrop issues for almost two years now on and off, and I'm talking with every device I own. And my wifi is quite solid and very fast; it's not an issue with my network, these are software bugs. Enough of the yearly marketing releases. Let's have a solid two years of Snow Leopard-releases to fix all this crap.
    Turn off animations etc in the sys prefs/accessibility dude.
    bonobobnolamacguyai46magman1979fastasleepstevehjbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 57
    ireland said:
    Apple provide choice. I like the animation, so to drop it would please you and deprive me. Being able to turn them on or off gives us both what we want. I've never considered it laggy or bugged, personally. 
    bonobobnolamacguymike1ai46magman1979ericthehalfbeestevehjbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 57
    hypoluxa said:

Dude, are you blaming me for Apple's software quality? And fading off and fading on cannot be turned off.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 10 of 57
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 11 of 57
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    ireland said:
    hypoluxa said:

Dude, are you blaming me for Apple's software quality? And fading off and fading on cannot be turned off.
    No, just offering a possible solution. 
    ai46magman1979
  • Reply 12 of 57
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I kinda figured this would bring the haters out of their spider holes. Their reality is different than yours or mine. In their reality nothing works and everything is crap.
    nolamacguyai46magman1979ericthehalfbeecornchipsteveh
  • Reply 13 of 57
    sog35 said:

Well then YOU and your bunch of CRITICS should switch to Android and Windows.
    You're so defensive it's pathetic. Windows and Android are complete crap. Apple's stuff is way better. Their hardware is by far the best in the business and the make the software to work with hardware which is good.

The main problems with Apple is they are adding too many features before the fully baked and their software has lost reliability since ~2013. Noticeably so. I never said iOS was perfect. Did you look at all the names in that list of "your bunch of critics"? Get a clue will you.
    edited March 2016 sirlance99
  • Reply 14 of 57

hypoluxa said:
    ireland said:
    No, just offering a possible solution. 
    In that case I appreciate your comment, but I'd rather Apple fix the software than users recommending others change the default setting for semi-workarounds.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 15 of 57
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    ireland said:

I think he's blaming you for not knowing how to use the software in the first place.  They're offering you the choices of using iOS in the way that suits you.  Animations might be an issue for you, but they're not for me and many others.
    edited March 2016 ai46magman1979fastasleepsteveh
  • Reply 16 of 57
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:

Well then YOU and your bunch of CRITICS should switch to Android and Windows.
    You're so defensive it's pathetic. Windows and Android are complete crap. Apple's stuff is way better. Their hardware is by far the best in the business and the make the software to work with hardware which is good.

The main problems with Apple is they are adding too many features before the fully baked and their software has lost reliability since ~2013. Noticeably so. I never said iOS was perfect. Did you look at all the names in that list of "your bunch of critics"? Get a clue will you.
    The main problem with the internet is that, if Apple doesn't add features, then the feature checklist & "Apple isn't innovating" crowd will flood the internet with their myopic hate-on.  And if Apple adds a lot of features, then the "it must be 100% perfect, zero bugs in all features, and super responsive on my 3 year old device/satisfy my OCD for nanosecond level responsiveness at all times" crowd will flood the internet with their hate-on.  So it really doesn't matter what they do, people who want to get their hate-on will find a way.

My only response to such people is: make sure you hold whatever good/service is provided from your job to the same impossible standards of perfection.
    edited March 2016 command_fai46cornchip
  • Reply 17 of 57
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ireland said:

sog35 said:
    is this a joke post? or real?

if real. Damn. What a life you live. 
    I'm a stickler for software quality. Yes it was a rant but there's a line of truth running through it. It's no coincidence that pretty much all the most well known Apple guys out there are bummed by Apple's software quality. It's not imagined. You don't need to be defensive about it. Craig and Cue never needed to do software quality damage control before for a reason.
    nope, it's definitely imagined. either you didn't use or don't want to remember the old system OSes. now there are a million times more users and an info delivery system (the web, Twitter) that deliver release bitching immediately. 

most people don't have the problems you read about on Marco's blog. normal people are the silent majority. tech users like us are a finicky bunch and don't often represent normal people -- not their needs, wants, or experiences. 

more accurately, Apple has a software quality perception problem, which is why Craig is doing interviews with the leading industry voices such as Gruber. but even Gruber agrees it's a perception problem. yet even this kinda moot because normal users have no idea who Marco is or what his beefs are -- which is why Apple is wealthiest publically traded company in human history, and continues to kill it. 
    edited March 2016 cornchip
  • Reply 18 of 57
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Anyone else encountered a bug with Siri whereby you can't use it from the lock screen? The option under touchID keeps switching to off, very annoying!
  • Reply 19 of 57
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Someone needs less coffee, a re-examination of life's natural pace.  I, too, love having choices and use them.  I use this iPad a little over half the time.  iMac the rest.  Never owned an iPhone because my retired life didn't need one.

Last feature phone died and just as cheap to buy an Android critter.  Did so to try out the OS.  What crap!  I continue to be amazed what folks put up with to save money.

Friends with latest-gen iPhones turning out walking-around photography as good as current pocket cameras; so, I decided time to lose one more device - and my SE will be here in abt 2 weeks.

Another Apple solution that fits my needs just fine.
    cornchipsteveh
  • Reply 20 of 57
    Besides that whole activation issue that forced Apple to halt updates for iPad 2's, sure, super stable.