iOS 9.3 Apple's 'most stable new release in years,' app analytics firm finds

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Seems to me there's a difference between software quality and UI preference. Also there are things people complain about that 99% of iOS users would never notice. I want Apple to focus on real bugs not this interaction is only 58 fps when it should be 60.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 422member
    ireland said:

sog35 said:
    is this a joke post? or real?

if real. Damn. What a life you live. 
    I'm a stickler for software quality. Yes it was a rant but there's a line of truth running through it. <Snip>
    'Twas a rant but, yes, there is truth in what you say. iOS 8 was not pretty even after a couple of point releases. Remember the state of Photos in 8.0. iOS 9 for me has been a steady improvement but I doubt iPad 2 owners would concur after 9.3.

However, my big problems have been with OS X where Yosemite was ... troublesome. El Capitan is better but I too still have Airplay problems: some days it just won't work yet it's rock-solid from my iPad when it's next to the MacBook Pro. I suspect it's driver-related (ie hardware version dependent) on the Mac as I still have Bluetooth issues as well. Anyone using multiple displays on their Mac will know the impossibility of predicting where windows will open. Etc.

Some of this stuff has simply not been tested. I can't be the only one to notice, for example, that iTunes' band information (down the right-hand margin) was broken for two point releases after it was introduced. It was a permanently visible fault (first thing I saw) and not in a fit state to release; just relate that approach to the things you can't see.

So I'm in the 'stop adding features and start bug-fixing' camp. I just ordered an iPhone SE (4" screen - hurrah) and I'll have a Skylake MacBook too regardless of whether there're new OS features with them.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 23 of 57
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    saarek said:
    Anyone else encountered a bug with Siri whereby you can't use it from the lock screen? The option under touchID keeps switching to off, very annoying!
    So now everybody has to come out with their obsessions over some perceived bug. Your life must really suck to walk around “very annoyed” all day long. How do you stand it? 
  • Reply 24 of 57
    lkrupp said:
    saarek said:
    Anyone else encountered a bug with Siri whereby you can't use it from the lock screen? The option under touchID keeps switching to off, very annoying!
    So now everybody has to come out with their obsessions over some perceived bug. Your life must really suck to walk around “very annoyed” all day long. How do you stand it? 

I could ask you the same question, Krupp, as evidently the annoyance of strangers is a constant annoyance to you judging from your posts. 
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Most stable eh?
    I currently cannot click on the link to view this article on my iPad!!
  • Reply 26 of 57
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    What I want to see Apple focus on is better cloud especially Siri. It's embarrassing that Microsoft has voice assistant on Windows before Apple does on the Mac. And where is Apple's version of Amazon's Echo? In addition I think there's a lot more Apple should be doing with iMessage. Don't let Facebook become dominant there. This is why I've said before and continue to believe Tim Cook needs to hire an SVP specifically for Apple's cloud and AI efforts. Eddy Cue is just not the guy to lead that.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    It would be interesting to see Android's crash rate as well.  Embarassing for Android, but still interesting.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    igorsky said:
    ireland said:
    You're blaming me for Apple's software bugs?

I think he's blaming you for not knowing how to use the software in the first place.  They're offering you the choices of using iOS in the way that suits you.  Animations might be an issue for you, but they're not for me and many others.
    Really?

So those fading-phone-on and fading-phone-off animations turn off when reduce-motion is turned on? Didn't think so. And it fixes Apple's ongoing AirPlay and AirDrop bugs? Didn't think so. And now you can swipe to another home screen as quickly as you could on iOS 6? Didn't think so. And the whole OS is as fluid as it was on iOS 6? Didn't think so.

Interesting advice considering my complaints.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 29 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Can you swipe to another home screen after unlocking as quickly as you could on iOS 6? Nope. It may seem like a small gripe to you. My argument is iOS 9 should be faster at these tasks, not slower. I want each software release to be more efficient and less buggier than the previous release. It's a simple argument, learn how to read before you spew some crap about me.
    sog35 said:

I have a 6+ with animations on. I have none of the problems you mentioned.

Its a simple setting. Learn how to use your iPhone before you spew some crap about the company.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 30 of 57
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    lkrupp said:
    saarek said:
    Bloody hell, who took the jam out of your donut?

I was hardly obsessing over some perceived bug, it was a genuine question, expressed in a non overblown manner.

Since upgrading to iOS 9.3 I have been unable to use Siri with the screen locked and the option under the Touch ID settings refuses to stay switched to on.

It's obviously a glitch and I wanted to know if anyone else had run into it.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Apple is suffering from work overload lately. There's a bit of quirkiness about everything Apple nowadays. Ever since iOS 9.0 the 3 mobile devices in our family (2 iPhones and 1 iPad mini) have been doing the weirdest things when getting connected to iTunes on my iMac. All 3 devices have the same settings. The Mac OS and iTunes are the latest versions. The phones can be connected to iTunes and nothing happens until I take action. To back up or synch. The iPad will synch automatically whether I like it or not. Throughout all the iOS 9 updates all 3 devices gave me a message that there was a newer version of the iOS available even though they had been updated to the latest version. Time and time again. Back ups apparently didn't register. Since iOS 9.3 the back ups on the phones seem to register. No reminder to update. The iPad however still does the same thing. Nobody at Apple knows why. I give up. 
  • Reply 32 of 57
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Only bug I've had on my iPhone 5 is a reboot after scrolling through about 60 "recently used" apps. It's not really a problem, I just discovered on accident one day and tested it again a moment ago. Still there. Oh well nbd.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    410sa410sa Posts: 8member
    IOS 9.3 is an unmitigated disaster for anyone with a 6S. It freezes any apps that contain hyperlinks if you try to access the link. Apple denied there was an issue and made everyone reporting the problem jump through major hoops - shut down/ hard reset/ software restore and repopulate the phone from a backup.
    They finally admitted they have an issue when the major news sources reported the story, but their support team says simply they are aware of the issue and to look out for a software update to fix the issue.
    God forbid they make a public announcement so that their users of 6S phones understand it's a general problem, and not their mishandling of the phone.

I generally love Apple but this is the kind of thing that they are doing more often. I understand the kind and gentle manner of Tim Cook, but every so often I'd like the demagogue narcissist perfectionist Jobs back. He made sure products were perfect before they were released
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 34 of 57
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    410sa said:
    IOS 9.3 is an unmitigated disaster for anyone with a 6S. It freezes any apps that contain hyperlinks if you try to access the link. Apple denied there was an issue and made everyone reporting the problem jump through major hoops - shut down/ hard reset/ software restore and repopulate the phone from a backup.
    They finally admitted they have an issue when the major news sources reported the story, but their support team says simply they are aware of the issue and to look out for a software update to fix the issue.
    God forbid they make a public announcement so that their users of 6S phones understand it's a general problem, and not their mishandling of the phone.

I generally love Apple but this is the kind of thing that they are doing more often. I understand the kind and gentle manner of Tim Cook, but every so often I'd like the demagogue narcissist perfectionist Jobs back. He made sure products were perfect before they were released
    Except that's not what happened at all:

- It's not limited to 9.3, earlier versions of 9 are affected
    - It's not limited to the 6S
    - It's not directly Apple's fault, it's due to 3rd party developers doing shit wrong with Universal Links — Booking.com being one of the main culprits
    - Apple HAS publicly stated they're aware of the problem, that's how you read about it in major news sources (wtf do you think a public announcement is?)
    - Every product under Jobs was perfect before release? Seriously, that's some revisionist history, the "Steve would've never let this happen" thing is turning into a bizarre mythology at this point...

I have this issue on my 6, it's been bugging the shit out of me for days... but let's be real. They just diagnosed the problem (which was not caused by Apple directly) and engineers are working on a fix. What else do you want? Steve Jobs to show up in a time machine saying he'll go back even further to make sure that developers use Universal Links correctly?
  • Reply 35 of 57
    No it is not. Ask the thousands, tens or hundreds of thousands who cannot tap links in email, apps and safari. A total disaster. An incredible waste of time.
    gwoody
  • Reply 36 of 57
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Besides that whole activation issue that forced Apple to halt updates for iPad 2's, sure, super stable. 
    If it hits 1 in 10000 that have it (I have many devices of all ages and none had it), yes it is.
    Considering half Windows update crap out my computer; it is much better.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    410sa said:

BTW, I've got such devices and don't fracking have this issue.
    Your world is not the whole world.
    Go back to 9.2.1 and shut the hell up. Simple isn't it.

edited March 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 38 of 57
    cornchip said:
    Only bug I've had on my iPhone 5 is a reboot after scrolling through about 60 "recently used" apps. It's not really a problem, I just discovered on accident one day and tested it again a moment ago. Still there. Oh well nbd.
    That's a very particular use case,  probably a memory leak issue; have you reported it.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Apple is suffering from work overload lately. There's a bit of quirkiness about everything Apple nowadays. Ever since iOS 9.0 the 3 mobile devices in our family (2 iPhones and 1 iPad mini) have been doing the weirdest things when getting connected to iTunes on my iMac. All 3 devices have the same settings. The Mac OS and iTunes are the latest versions. The phones can be connected to iTunes and nothing happens until I take action. To back up or synch. The iPad will synch automatically whether I like it or not. Throughout all the iOS 9 updates all 3 devices gave me a message that there was a newer version of the iOS available even though they had been updated to the latest version. Time and time again. Back ups apparently didn't register. Since iOS 9.3 the back ups on the phones seem to register. No reminder to update. The iPad however still does the same thing. Nobody at Apple knows why. I give up. 
    Have you tried a full reinstall of the Ipad to see if it fixes thing.
    Got the feeling many issues are due to many small bugs that only show in OTA and accumulate through several updates.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    macmyday said:
    No it is not. Ask the thousands, tens or hundreds of thousands who cannot tap links in email, apps and safari. A total disaster. An incredible waste of time.
    Blah blah blah, go fracking back to 9.2.1 if you think 9.3 is broken; completely tiresome.