iOS 9.3 Apple's 'most stable new release in years,' app analytics firm finds

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    macmyday said:
    No it is not. Ask the thousands, tens or hundreds of thousands who cannot tap links in email, apps and safari. A total disaster. An incredible waste of time.
    See my post above. Get over yourself.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    Bull. This is by far the worst update I have ever seen. I still cannot use a link in any email and the iPhone email app freezes after a non-functioning link is clicked. Problem only on iPhone, not iPad. Very bad writing. No excuse for such a screwup. 
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 43 of 57
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    410sa said:
    IOS 9.3 is an unmitigated disaster for anyone with a 6S. It freezes any apps that contain hyperlinks if you try to access the link. Apple denied there was an issue and made everyone reporting the problem jump through major hoops - shut down/ hard reset/ software restore and repopulate the phone from a backup.
    They finally admitted they have an issue when the major news sources reported the story, but their support team says simply they are aware of the issue and to look out for a software update to fix the issue.
    God forbid they make a public announcement so that their users of 6S phones understand it's a general problem, and not their mishandling of the phone.

I generally love Apple but this is the kind of thing that they are doing more often. I understand the kind and gentle manner of Tim Cook, but every so often I'd like the demagogue narcissist perfectionist Jobs back. He made sure products were perfect before they were released
    I have a 6S and am not having this problem.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 44 of 57
    410sa410sa Posts: 8member
    410sa said:
    IOS 9.3 is an unmitigated disaster for anyone with a 6S. It freezes any apps that contain hyperlinks if you try to access the link. Apple denied there was an issue and made everyone reporting the problem jump through major hoops - shut down/ hard reset/ software restore and repopulate the phone from a backup.
    They finally admitted they have an issue when the major news sources reported the story, but their support team says simply they are aware of the issue and to look out for a software update to fix the issue.
    God forbid they make a public announcement so that their users of 6S phones understand it's a general problem, and not their mishandling of the phone.

I generally love Apple but this is the kind of thing that they are doing more often. I understand the kind and gentle manner of Tim Cook, but every so often I'd like the demagogue narcissist perfectionist Jobs back. He made sure products were perfect before they were released
    You are one of the lucky ones. It seems to be widespread on 6S phones. iPads running 9.3 seems to be unaffected
  • Reply 45 of 57
    410sa410sa Posts: 8member

foggyhill said:
    410sa said:

BTW, I've got such devices and don't fracking have this issue.
    Your world is not the whole world.
    Go back to 9.2.1 and shut the hell up. Simple isn't it.

There is no way to go backwards. If I could I would, but Apple have messed this up in a big way
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 46 of 57
    410sa said:

foggyhill said:

BTW, I've got such devices and don't fracking have this issue.
    Your world is not the whole world.
    Go back to 9.2.1 and shut the hell up. Simple isn't it.

There is no way to go backwards. If I could I would, but Apple have messed this up in a big way

Actually, Apple is still signing 9.2.1.  Downgrading is a relatively simple operation.

http://bgr.com/2016/03/29/ios-9-3-downgrade-ios-9-2-1/

edited March 2016 fastasleep
  • Reply 47 of 57
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    Too bad the article does not explain what crash rate actually means. Does it mean that if you use your phone 100 times, it will crash 2.2 times?

Also: "The software trumped even the latest version of Android, which saw its crashes hover around 2.6 percent." Wait... what?! We have to be happy now that an iPhone crashes 0.4% less than android phones? I assumed that was already the case. Apparently not. 

(Not easy to write this comment on my crashing iPad, which is barely usable since the horrible deep web link bug that appeared last weekend) 
    edited March 2016 curioususer
  • Reply 48 of 57
    What a load of garbage. I read this article on my 6+ and wanted to click on the comments, but couldn't because web links don't work on my phone. I had to go here on my desktop just to post this comment. Worst. Release. Ever. 
    jagnut
  • Reply 49 of 57
    jagnutjagnut Posts: 24member
    gwoody said:
    What a load of garbage. I read this article on my 6+ and wanted to click on the comments, but couldn't because web links don't work on my phone. I had to go here on my desktop just to post this comment. Worst. Release. Ever. 
    I absolutely agree. I am just a normal user with an iPhone 6S+.  I upgrade to latest iOS 9.3 and it's hardly useable anymore.  I do not believe how this did not come up in beta testing before release. 
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Wouldn't a better comparison be to look at the earlier iOS versions in their first week or two after release to compare crash rates with iOS 9.3 in its first week or two of release?
  • Reply 51 of 57
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    macmyday said:
    No it is not. Ask the thousands, tens or hundreds of thousands who cannot tap links in email, apps and safari. A total disaster. An incredible waste of time.
    you're arguing that despite data to the contrary, the mere existence of a bug means it's a complete disaster. that's nonsense. millions and millions aren't having problems.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Bull. This is by far the worst update I have ever seen. I still cannot use a link in any email and the iPhone email app freezes after a non-functioning link is clicked. Problem only on iPhone, not iPad. Very bad writing. No excuse for such a screwup. 
    yes, because operating systems aren't millions of lines of interdependent code written by human beings every bit as flawed as you are. Jesus. some of you need a reality check.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    410sa said:
    You are one of the lucky ones. It seems to be widespread on 6S phones. iPads running 9.3 seems to be unaffected
    guess I was born lucky too. again.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 421member
    Apple is suffering from work overload lately. 
    I think that's probably the root cause. We are in March yet the gaps from last year's iOS are still being filled (secure Notes, more 3D Touch); I don't doubt some of this stuff is simply late because they're overworked. That's also why I think the Snow Leopard approach is the right one. For those that don't remember, SJ announced that Snow Leopard would not have any new features, it was a consolidation (my word but about what he meant) build. In the event, there were a few new features but mostly SL was smaller, faster and more stable than its predecessor.

So the software team need a bit more time. Apple is on the hook to produce a new OS each year for the new devices. A new iPhone must bring new features to drive the replacement cycle. However, I don't think OS X is under the same pressure: apart from supporting new chips in hardware refreshes, the pressure is from features shared between iOS and OS X. That feature is largely self-inflicted and, I think, could be relaxed. That in turn would free engineering effort to clear some of the OS X backlog or, since it's Apple's biggest money earner, at least get iOS back on schedule and thereby offer flexibility for the year after.

Software development is difficult (that's why so many clever people get it wrong so many times in so many companies). Sometimes the engineering lead has to be brave and tell the boss that he's not going to get everything he wanted or was promised. That's not easy either (been there, done that) but, in my experience, it's the only thing that works. Otherwise the problem gets hidden, gets bigger and then reappears - usually explosively.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    So I was thinking, "who is Apteligent?" Never heard of them before.

Then I went to their website and I got my answer. This is Crittercism, now rebranded as Apteligent. Completely and utterly useless analytics firm whose data is highly suspect.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Aaaand it's fixed. Thank god the Worst Thing That Ever Happened™ only lasted a few days!

Bunch of entitled whiners out there.