Only months after launch, 'Disney Infinity' ditches support for Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2016
Disney has revealed it no longer plans to update "Disney Infinity 3.0" for Apple TV, meaning new content and compatibility with new figurines will arrive only on competing platforms.

A moderator on the official Disney Infinity boards recently posted to reveal that the development team "is currently focusing on the traditional gaming platforms." They added that there are "no plans for further updates to the Apple TV version of the game."

The news means that future figurines released for the Disney Infinity platform will not be compatible with the Apple TV version of the game. The announcement was first spotted by TouchArcade.

The news is especially surprising as just last November, Apple began selling a Disney Infinity starter kit, bundled with a fourth-generation Apple TV and SteelSeries Nimbus controller, in its retail stores. At the time, Disney boasted that it was offering "the complete Disney Infinity 3.0 experience," meaning parity with traditional game consoles like Sony's PlayStation and Microsoft's Xbox.

Going forward, however, that won't be the case anymore. And users on the official Disney Infinity boards didn't take the news well.

"They made it out to be on a par with at least the older console versions such as PS3 in their descriptions," user "Thoric Frosthammer" wrote. "That encouraged people to invest hundreds of dollars in the platform who otherwise would not have, if they knew they'd eventually have to buy a PS4 to continue playing."

The Disney Infinity platform features both software and hardware components, relying on a base to "scan in" figurines that can then be used in the game. Figurines are available in individual packs, but the Apple TV starter pack came with two "Star Wars" figurines, along with a play set.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 109
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:
    Strange move by Disney

Glad I didn't buy it.  This may be a sign the AppleTV isn't doing to well for gaming. Apple needs to lift the limitation that all games need to work with the Siri remote. That really limits the types of games that can be made on the device.
    I really wonder how many people are using TV for games. My guess is not many. Serious gamers would be using a console or gaming PC and everyone else is probably just playing games on their iPad or iPhone. If Apple really wanted TV to be a gaming platform they would have made a controller for it and included it in the box. 
    jackansiroger wademoreckafrodri
  • Reply 2 of 109
    Good riddance. I actually downloaded it and attempted to use it but it required a Disney account to be created. I tried to create one, but it got denied because I already had an ESPN account under the same email address. (ESPN is owned by Disney.) So then I tried to log in with my ESPN account but that was not accepted. So after 20 minutes our so of trying, I gave up. I was really mad. Never got to play the game...
    thinkman@chartermi.netcalicornchipmoreck
  • Reply 3 of 109
    rs1919rs1919 Posts: 13member
    I've tried Disney Infinity and the menus are so cluttered and expansions so expensive, that I say good riddance. The gameplay was ok on the demo, but not worth the price.
    thinkman@chartermi.net
  • Reply 4 of 109
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    sog35 said:
    Strange move by Disney

Glad I didn't buy it.  This may be a sign the AppleTV isn't doing to well for gaming. Apple needs to lift the limitation that all games need to work with the Siri remote. That really limits the types of games that can be made on the device.
    You said the exact opposite when the new Apple TV came out. 
    singularitycalijackansiafrodri
  • Reply 5 of 109
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,050member
    scxfan said:
    Apple probably wanted to big of a cut.

Their cupboard is getting a bit bare you know.
    A big cut of what exactly? The Disney Infinity app was a free download. Disney made their money selling the actual figures and game package. Apple got nothing from those sales. The only extra money Apple got was maybe from game players buying an Apple TV to use with their Disney Infinity game, as game consoles are much more expensive.
    edited March 2016 thinkman@chartermi.netcali
  • Reply 6 of 109
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I don't mind slow but steady upward progress on Apple-TV. It can help lot to users of Apple-TV if some of the missing apps like Dishnetwork SLING, Amazon Instant video, Spotify, COMCAST xfinity, TWC anywhere, etc.are available.
    edited March 2016 williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 109
    Good riddance. I actually downloaded it and attempted to use it but it required a Disney account to be created. I tried to create one, but it got denied because I already had an ESPN account under the same email address. (ESPN is owned by Disney.) So then I tried to log in with my ESPN account but that was not accepted. So after 20 minutes our so of trying, I gave up. I was really mad. Never got to play the game...
    Disney's account system is so Balkanized. I had a Disney Movie Club account and it took me about 30 minutes to get the system to link it to a Disney Movie Rewards account I had to create separately. 
    cali
  • Reply 8 of 109
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    sog35 said:
    wood1208 said:
    I don't mind slow but steady upward progress on Apple-TV. It can help lot to users of Apple-TV if some of the missing apps like Dishnetwork SLING, Amazon Instant video, Spotify, COMCAST xfinity, TWC anywhere, etc.are available.
    Personally I sick of this slow steady progress.  Sick of it. The competition does not do this. Why the hell does Apple have to withhold features ON PURPOSE?  So sick of this crap. Why can't Apple just give us the goods.  They are always withholding features for no other reason so we need to upgrade to AppleTV5 in year. Sick of this shit.
    Then ditch your AppleTV and get a Chromecast/FireTV/whatever.  I'm sure you'll have a perfect experience with those devices and never have any need to complain again.  Imagine how much easier and less stressful your life will be...
    coolfactormuppetrysingularitythinkman@chartermi.netdigital_guymessagepad2100tdknoxlolliverpropod
  • Reply 9 of 109
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    sog35 said:
    Also why the hell does the 9.7 Pro only have 2GB ram? WTF.

I wonder how many people would actually realize a real-world difference if they didn't know any different.
    coolfactorthinkman@chartermi.netwilliamlondonmessagepad2100lolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 10 of 109
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    sog35 said:
    wood1208 said:
    Personally I'm getting sick of the half-assed effort by Apple.

Who is to blame?  Why did the AppleTV4 not come out with full Siri support or remote App?  Where is the liveTV package?  Even friken Dish was able to negotiate a liveTV package, so has Sony, so has Google.  Yet Apple can't?  fuking frustrating.

Apple makes a big deal about gaming on AppleTV yet where are the big games? Total joke.  And requring all games to be playing on the Siri remote is ridiculous and dumb. They should have included a game controller. Makes me sick.

Then no 4k when 4k is a huge feature on the iPhone/iPad. I mean WTF are these guys thinking. so sick of this shit.

Personally I sick of this slow steady progress.  Sick of it. The competition does not do this. Why the hell does Apple have to withhold features ON PURPOSE?  So sick of this crap. Why can't Apple just give us the goods.  They are always withholding features for no other reason so we need to upgrade to AppleTV5 in year. Sick of this shit.

I'm willing to pay top $$$ to get the best. Stop dicking around Apple.

IMO the AppleTV4 should have included AT LAUNCH:

1. full Siri support
    2. full universal search support
    3. Remote App/Bluetooth keyboard support
    4. Game controller included
    5. 4k support and lossless audio
    6. Live TV package availability
    7. HomeKit features - why the fuc has Apple allowed Amazon to steal mindspace with Echo? Friken AppleTV would be the perfect Homekit device. 

Sick of Apple half-assing 

Same thing with iPad the last couple years (until they brought out the Pro)

Every since Jobs died (oh no) wtf has Apple done?  I mean seriously wtf have they done?

Geez, you need to leave the Apple camp and play somewhere else if you're getting this emotional over it. Save yourself! Run for the hills!
    muppetrydacharsingularitythinkman@chartermi.netbrucemcmessagepad2100tdknoxlolliverafrodripropod
  • Reply 11 of 109
    sog35 said:
    wood1208 said:

Who is to blame?  Why did the AppleTV4 not come out with full Siri support or remote App?  Where is the liveTV package?  Even friken Dish was able to negotiate a liveTV package, so has Sony, so has Google.  Yet Apple can't?  fuking frustrating.

Apple makes a big deal about gaming on AppleTV yet where are the big games? Total joke.  And requring all games to be playing on the Siri remote is ridiculous and dumb. They should have included a game controller. Makes me sick.

Then no 4k when 4k is a huge feature on the iPhone/iPad. I mean WTF are these guys thinking. so sick of this shit.

1. full Siri support
    7. HomeKit features - why the fuc has Apple allowed Amazon to steal mindspace with Echo? Friken AppleTV would be the perfect Homekit device. 

Every since Jobs died (oh no) wtf has Apple done?  I mean seriously wtf have they done?

What have they done? You mean besides make billions of dollars every quarter? Maybe they should have just closed down instead.
    muppetrysingularitycalimessagepad2100tdknoxlolliver
  • Reply 12 of 109
    I don't blame them. My Apple TV has been collecting dust since I bought it. After 2 months I turned it on to see if there were any substantial apps to catch my attention. Still nothing but garbage.

You got me Apple, you got me good. A black $199 brick.
    roger wade
  • Reply 13 of 109
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    sog35 said:
    Strange move by Disney

I really wonder how many people are using TV for games. My guess is not many. Serious gamers would be using a console or gaming PC and everyone else is probably just playing games on their iPad or iPhone. If Apple really wanted TV to be a gaming platform they would have made a controller for it and included it in the box. 
    Apple are not targeting 'serious' gamers... just yet. Apple are entering the industry through the back door, targeting casual gamers first, and doing a very good job of it.
    thinkman@chartermi.netdigital_guymessagepad2100lolliver
  • Reply 14 of 109

sog35 said:
    wood1208 said:

1. full Siri support

Were you needing more RAM for something? Did you run out of RAM using an app?
  • Reply 15 of 109
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    bdkennedy said:
    I don't blame them. My Apple TV has been collecting dust since I bought it. After 2 months I turned it on to see if there were any substantial apps to catch my attention. Still nothing but garbage.

You got me Apple, you got me good. A black $199 brick.
    So why did you buy it in the first place? Were you expecting it to do something that it doesn't?
    williamlondonmessagepad2100lolliver
  • Reply 16 of 109
    This does not make a lot of sense. I need more info to understand this move. I think the requirement for SIRI remote compatibility is good. If you want a better experience you can by a gaming remote. This allows all games to be played by anyone who buys the base model. I just don't like the whole "to play this requires you to buy optional remote". The Apple TV has a long way to go for me but so far I have enjoyed the improved user experience it brings. I find myself watching more movies, playing music through it more often simply because of the HDMI control pass through for the TV. A lot of gaming is done by my kids on this. When friends come over they love playing the silliest games out there and have a blast. I agree it is not going to replace my souped up PC for gaming or a PS4 but for casual gaming it is a hit. There is some awkwardness porting touch based games over to this control mechanism which they will have to figure out how to improve.
    lolliver
  • Reply 17 of 109
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    If Apple can sell the Apple Pencil separately from the iPad Pro, they can sell an Apple-branded game controller separately from the Apple TV and eliminate the Siri remote limitation. Developers are not going to be "forced" to support this platform.
  • Reply 18 of 109
    I swear sog is bi-polar. One day we get a defense of whatever Apple does and it's all about margins and profits blah blah blah. The next, a litany of all these things Apple is doing wrong and why Tim Cook is terrible. 
    JanNLcalijackansimessagepad2100afrodridrewys808propodpscooter63
  • Reply 19 of 109
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    sog35 said:

auxio said:
    Then ditch your AppleTV and get a Chromecast/FireTV/whatever.  I'm sure you'll have a perfect experience with those devices and never have any need to complain again.  Imagine how much easier and less stressful your life will be...
    The hell with that crap.

I've invested a ton on the Apple ecosystem.  iPhone6+/MacMini/iPad/Watch/AppleTV.  

Piss me off I've spend THOUSANDS on Apple and they can't match the features of a $20 chromecast.

What does a $20 chromecast do that an apple TV doesn't do?  Doesn't the chrome cast REQUIRE you to use a mobile device to cast anything to it?  And can't you effectively do the same thing with Airplay?  What can you watch on a chomecast and an iPad that you can't watch with an Apple TV and an iPad?

Is it Apple's fault that companies like Amazon and VUDU haven't ported their iPad apps to the Apple TV yet?

And you realize the remote app for the iPhone does work now, right?
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 20 of 109
    sog35 said:
    wood1208 said:

1. full Siri support

I do agree with you re: Apple TV. I've said before I think Eddy Cue is a weak link at Apple and needs to go but he seems to be pretty tight with Cook so unfortunately he's not getting an early retirement any time soon. The Amazon Echo is getting really good reviews. It's embarrassing that Siri hasn't really progressed much since 2011. But of course to have a really successful product like that you need to be really strong in the cloud which Apple is not. I've said it before and will say it again, Cook needs to hire an SVP to run Apple's cloud business. Cue is not the guy for that job. If Cue has to stick around then have him focus solely on Apple's media business. Cook should give him the mandate to redesign iTunes from the ground up, fix Music and TV or his job is on the line.
    bobschlob