Reversing track, Kanye West's full 'Life of Pablo' may come to Apple Music on Friday

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Despite earlier promises by the rapper, Kanye West's complete The Life of Pablo album should appear on Apple Music and Spotify on April 1, a report said on Thursday.

"That's what we understand to be the case," said one of two sources cited by Re/code. Singles from the album -- such as "Famous" -- made their way onto both services this week, but until today there's been no indication that the full album would break.

West infamously claimed that The Life of Pablo would "never never never be on Apple," remaining an exclusive for Tidal, which launched it in February. West is a part owner of the service.

That exclusivity has helped boost Tidal downloads and subscriptions, but since the service has just 3 million subscribers, reaching the much larger Apple and Spotify listener bases may be essential for the album to make a substantial amount of money.

Tomorrow's version of Pablo is expected to be an updated edition, since West has been changing the album's songs over the past month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Keep the F'in thing where it is. Nobody wants to to hear that pile of garbage anyway.
    tallest skilbdkennedy1002thinkman@chartermi.netmagman1979stevenoz6ryph3njbdragonargonaut
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Kanye meant *that version* will never be on Apple Music. And why am I seeing this if I have KBlocker turned on, anyways. 
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Kayne who?
    magman19796ryph3njbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    bdkennedy said:
    Can I ask why this keeps making weekly news on this site? It's obvious from the comments that no one cares.
    Whether or not we like his music, Kanye West is extremely influential, commercially. Services like Apple Music ride on whether or not they have albums by big-name acts - consider Apple's abrupt decision to back down when Taylor Swift threatened to keep "1989" off Apple Music.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Tomorrow's version of Pablo is expected to be an updated edition, since West has been changing the album's songs over the past month.
    Maybe this story broke a day early...
    ppartekim
  • Reply 6 of 23
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    bdkennedy said:
    Can I ask why this keeps making weekly news on this site? It's obvious from the comments that no one cares.
    The comments only show people are willing to say something. It would be more interesting to see the number of times the page was viewed.

Also, it goes to show that no matter how influential you think you are, you still have to be on Apple Music.
    cali
  • Reply 7 of 23
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    tidal was never going to net this guy $53 million.
    linkmanjbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 23
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Apple should have refused the douchebag, and it's disappointing that there are so many articles about the douchebag on this site.
    6ryph3njbdragonmassconn72
  • Reply 9 of 23
    In an ironic tribute to his previous stealing-the-spotlight escapade with Taylor Swift, Mr. West will include a bonus track on the iTunes version of this album:
      " We are Never, Ever, Ever, Getting Back Together".

/s
    spheric
  • Reply 10 of 23
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    bdkennedy said:
    Whether or not we like his music, Kanye West is extremely influential, commercially. Services like Apple Music ride on whether or not they have albums by big-name acts - consider Apple's abrupt decision to back down when Taylor Swift threatened to keep "1989" off Apple Music.
    While some big names will attract and the lack of those will keep away certain customers, a few big names won't make or break the big companies. Apple didn't have the Beatles signed on until 2010 yet iTunes still did very well and still had plenty of Beatles fans buying music from other artists.
    bdkennedy1002cornchipstevenoz
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    linkman said:
    While some big names will attract and the lack of those will keep away certain customers, a few big names won't make or break the big companies. Apple didn't have the Beatles signed on until 2010 yet iTunes still did very well and still had plenty of Beatles fans buying music from other artists.
    Certainly true, but there are still millions of dollars involved, and in the long term you need to retain as many big-name artists as you can to keep people subscribed.
    cali
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Yawn.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Slow news day? Or??
    cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Nobody listens to this loser's "music". His 15 minutes of fame are up. He's broke, talentless, and done. I look forward to not having to be subjected to any more news items about him, except maybe to hear he gave up music for good and moved to Tibet to become a Buddhist monk and live the rest of his life in isolation.
    6ryph3njbdragonstevenoz
  • Reply 15 of 23
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    "Promise"? I'd call that "Rant". 
  • Reply 16 of 23
    binkbink Posts: 4member
    dolla dolla bill y'all
    cornchip
  • Reply 17 of 23
    duervoduervo Posts: 73member
    I seriously doubt there's any actual track reversal here. West is quite opportunistic, event to go as far as trying to make his own opportunities. I wouldn't doubt that this was planned all along, and events leading up to this were merely a stunt to increase awareness and hype for not only his new album, but for Tidal as well, since he has heavily invested it.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I guess he wants to make some money as Tidal is just not doing it for him! He seems like a guy that would care more about the money then principles anyway!!! 
  • Reply 19 of 23
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    april fools.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    iTunes too?  Don't give a dick about Music, but I'd definitely buy the album through iTunes.  The man may be a tit, but in rap Kanye is in a league of his own.