Only months after launch, 'Disney Infinity' ditches support for Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 61 of 109
    So you don't think that its slightly odd that they would make a big deal about recording/editing 4k video on your iphone, but you can't view said video on their only tv interfacing device?
    No I don't. I think they added that feature to the phones because they expect people to then turn around and use that on a traditional PC or Mac. The average person isn't going to be filming long 4K videos and then trying to stream them to their Apple TV. American internet is too crappy for that in most homes.
  • Reply 62 of 109
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    sog35 said:
    auxio said:
    So you want a device which is dedicated to one task (playing 4K video) that's also future-proof?  How future-proof were VHS, DVD or Blu-Ray players?
    No device is future proof.

But I'm not talking about the future. I'm talking about the PRESENT. And cheaper streamers like Roku already have 4k video and the much more expensive AppleTV does not?  That is unacceptable.

I still use my Bluray player after 10+ years.
    My DVD lasted 10+ years.
    This AppleTV may last only 1 year since the AppleTV5 will support 4k.

Stop making excuses for Apple not including 4k. That was a stupid move. PERIOD.

The $99 Roku and FireTV can do EVERYTHING the AppleTV can PLUS it can do 4k.
    PLUS it cost HALF the price.
    *sigh* where do I begin with the contradictions?

The very reason one would want 4K support in a device at this point, when there is very little 4K content available and the overwhelming majority of people don't even own a 4K TV, is because they want it to be future-proof (i.e. not have to buy a new device when 4K eventually comes of age and they actually need it).  That's at the very core of your argument.

And you still use your Blu-Ray player despite the fact that it's only playing video at 1080p (same as AppleTV)?

I've played a number of games with my son on our AppleTV (he loves Crossy Road and bowling games).  Somehow I doubt I'd be able to do that with a Roku or FireTV.  So your use of EVERYTHING only fits for you.  I also have no plans to buy a 4K TV in the near future (the 4K display I have for testing is a 28" monitor which I didn't pay for).  So 4K support is of ZERO importance to me.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 63 of 109

sog35 said:
    And how many movies is that? Best I can tell, there's about 50 things on Netflix that are available in 4K and the majority of them are tv shows and a big chunk of those are netflix exclusive shows. 4K just isn't big enough for Apple to bother with it right now. You claim that you have all of these apple devices and you're on an apple site so you should really know, that they're never going to chase features the way other companies do. They'll implement it when they can do it right and when it matters.
    But what about next year? Or the year after that? There will be hundreds if not thousands of 4k movies on stream. And that goes back to my comment that the only reason Apple left off 4k is so you would need to upgrade to AppleTV5 this year or next.

Your statement that Apple implements features when they can do it right and when it matters is generally true. Both in this case that is wrong also. If 4k is so niche then why the FUC did Apple make such a big deal about shooting 4k video on the 6s?  I've seen multiple Apple commericals that brag about shooting 4k video on the iPhone. Yet you can't even watch that video on your AppleTV?  I mean WTF.  Your argument would make sense if the iPhone did not have 4k either. But since they brag about 4k and include it on the iPhone its pretty obvious that Apple thinks 4k is important.  
    And the majority of Americans will not be streaming them. Most US homes don't have the internet speed or bandwidth or both to be streaming 4K movies. It's just not a big enough thing right now. Besides, the Apple TV isn't on a yearly upgrade cycle. We may not see the next one for another three years.

As for shooting 4K video on the phone, I don't think they're expecting people to then stream that over to Apple TV. What you're trying to do puts you in a very small minority. A minority Apple isn't catering to. You have to realize that most people will never do anything more with their devices than browse the web, take pictures/videos of random things, check email and do social media. They're not making commercials and films in 4K to show off on their 4K televsions.
  • Reply 64 of 109

drewyboy said:
    And how many movies is that? Best I can tell, there's about 50 things on Netflix that are available in 4K and the majority of them are tv shows and a big chunk of those are netflix exclusive shows. 4K just isn't big enough for Apple to bother with it right now. You claim that you have all of these apple devices and you're on an apple site so you should really know, that they're never going to chase features the way other companies do. They'll implement it when they can do it right and when it matters.
    "They'll implement it when they can do it right and when it matters can't milk their old products anymore."

Sorry but that's delusional. So what's your reasoning for iCloud being subpar, iWork having featured removed (let me guess, iWork before wasn't using it right or it didn't matter), and AppleTV (other having been doing what this does years ago or did apps not matter before. Oh I know, the 3D icons on the apple tv that you move with your remote is what matters right?)
    iCloud had to be released into the wild before it was ready and I just don't think iWork is very important to them. It's not different than the way they've treated Apple TV for so long. It's a hobby. And what company isn't going to milk a product they released. They didn't release it just so they could trash it the next day and release something new. They're trying to make money.
  • Reply 65 of 109

sog35 said:
    But what about next year? Or the year after that? There will be hundreds if not thousands of 4k movies on stream. And that goes back to my comment that the only reason Apple left off 4k is so you would need to upgrade to AppleTV5 this year or next.

Your statement that Apple implements features when they can do it right and when it matters is generally true. Both in this case that is wrong also. If 4k is so niche then why the FUC did Apple make such a big deal about shooting 4k video on the 6s?  I've seen multiple Apple commericals that brag about shooting 4k video on the iPhone. Yet you can't even watch that video on your AppleTV?  I mean WTF.  Your argument would make sense if the iPhone did not have 4k either. But since they brag about 4k and include it on the iPhone its pretty obvious that Apple thinks 4k is important.  

As for shooting 4K video on the phone, I don't think they're expecting people to then stream that over to Apple TV. What you're trying to do puts you in a very small minority. A minority Apple isn't catering to. You have to realize that most people will never do anything more with their devices than browse the web, take pictures/videos of random things, check email and do social media. They're not making commercials and films in 4K to show off on their 4K televsions.
    Apparently you missed out on them showing that EXACT feature in their holiday video last year. Why put a feature in if no one can view it at that resolution? You're really try hard to make this contradiction work.

"Hey everyone, I shot some 4K video, lets watch it on my laptop, not on my big ass new 4k tv!"
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 66 of 109
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    sog35 said:
    Squ said:
    Disney stopped updating it a while ago. Never fixing bugs on the appleTV that have been resolved for months on pc/ps4/xbox1. Part of the limitations that they are running into is the local storage requirement on games, not the Siri stuff which last I heard apple backed off of. Games can only store something like 50Mb or something locally at a time, and had to stream or swap files as needed. So large games like this with lots of playsets, characters, and expansions have issues with cohesive updates and small local storage 
    Thats one of those real crappy decisions that makes ZERO sense.

Plain stupid that I have a 64GB AppleTV yet I need to wait for a game to load every single time I play it because of these non-sensical restrictions by Apple.

let me guess?  The new AppleTV5 will have 4k and no 50Mb limitation?  That way everyone who bought the AppleTV4 needs to upgrade.
    Actually, there is an initial download limit of 250MB for everything, not 50MB. After that, an app can initiate an extended download of up to a few gigs per download session. Afterwards, the app or game won't need to download resources at launch again unless it is infrequently used and the Apple TV is running out of space and purged those infrequently used resources. If you have a game that is 2GB, it's initial download would be 250MB, and once you launch the game, it would download the remaining 1.5GB. It wouldn't need to do that 1.5GB again unless you are running out of space on the device.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 67 of 109
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    sog35 said:
    wood1208 said:
    I don't mind slow but steady upward progress on Apple-TV. It can help lot to users of Apple-TV if some of the missing apps like Dishnetwork SLING, Amazon Instant video, Spotify, COMCAST xfinity, TWC anywhere, etc.are available.
    Personally I'm getting sick of the half-assed effort by Apple.

Who is to blame?  Why did the AppleTV4 not come out with full Siri support or remote App?  Where is the liveTV package?  Even friken Dish was able to negotiate a liveTV package, so has Sony, so has Google.  Yet Apple can't?  fuking frustrating.

Apple makes a big deal about gaming on AppleTV yet where are the big games? Total joke.  And requring all games to be playing on the Siri remote is ridiculous and dumb. They should have included a game controller. Makes me sick.

Then no 4k when 4k is a huge feature on the iPhone/iPad. I mean WTF are these guys thinking. so sick of this shit.

Personally I sick of this slow steady progress.  Sick of it. The competition does not do this. Why the hell does Apple have to withhold features ON PURPOSE?  So sick of this crap. Why can't Apple just give us the goods.  They are always withholding features for no other reason so we need to upgrade to AppleTV5 in year. Sick of this shit.

I'm willing to pay top $$$ to get the best. Stop dicking around Apple.

IMO the AppleTV4 should have included AT LAUNCH:

1. full Siri support
    2. full universal search support
    3. Remote App/Bluetooth keyboard support
    4. Game controller included
    5. 4k support and lossless audio
    6. Live TV package availability
    7. HomeKit features - why the fuc has Apple allowed Amazon to steal mindspace with Echo? Friken AppleTV would be the perfect Homekit device. 

Sick of Apple half-assing 

Same thing with iPad the last couple years (until they brought out the Pro)
    Also why the hell does the 9.7 Pro only have 2GB ram? WTF.

Every since Jobs died (oh no) wtf has Apple done?  I mean seriously wtf have they done?

My friend, you may need to work in corporate R&D world. I did for 17 years at IBM and know well that often times technology developed in lab is ahead of time(people not ready to adopt/buy in mass) and if you still put it out because of own marketing/sales pressure prematurely than you don't even recover R&D cost. Others will copy and sell cheaper. Timing of introducing tech is very tricky balance. Currently, 802.11AC wave 3 tech(chips) already available but how many networking companies have jumped on it to release routers left and right ? Apple have done lot more to introduce cutting edge features/products ahead of others. So, be chilled.
    foad
  • Reply 68 of 109
    sog35 said:

No I don't. I think they added that feature to the phones because they expect people to then turn around and use that on a traditional PC or Mac. The average person isn't going to be filming long 4K videos and then trying to stream them to their Apple TV. American internet is too crappy for that in most homes.
    What?  Many people have 25-100 Mbs internet at home and could easily stream a 4k video from their phone to an AppleTV on Wifi.

Face it. Its plain stupid not to include 4k. 

Also you only need 25 Mbs internet to stream Netflix 4k.  The USA average is 12 Mbs but who says Apple customers are average?  I bet the average Apple customer has at least 25Mbs internet.
    Let's assume that's true. Let's assume the average Apple customer has the absolute minimum internet speed needed to stream 4K movies (which don't really exist right now). What's their data cap? How many other things in their home would also be using the internet at the same time? How good is their router? Streaming 4K movies is not practical right now and won't be for several more years. I would guess it will be a minimum of five years before most homes even have a 4K capable tv, not to mention the equipment and internet to handle streaming 4K content. Again, they aren't catering to the extreme minority that you're apparently a part of.
  • Reply 69 of 109
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    sog35 said:

What?  Many people have 25-100 Mbs internet at home and could easily stream a 4k video from their phone to an AppleTV on Wifi.

Face it. Its plain stupid not to include 4k. 

Also you only need 25 Mbs internet to stream Netflix 4k.  The USA average is 12 Mbs but who says Apple customers are average?  I bet the average Apple customer has at least 25Mbs internet.
    It isn't just about raw speed I'd bet quite a few of them have ISPs that have data caps. Comcast customers do and Time Warner has been experimenting with data caps in various cities to see how customers react. And just because someone can afford great internet, doesn't mean it is available in their area. NYC is in a legal battle with Verizon over its FIOS rollout and that is a major city. Time Warner in NYC is notorious for having horrible internet. You have tunnel vision for that feature. Just because Roku has it, doesn't mean it's worth a damn.
    joelhenson11
  • Reply 70 of 109
    sog35 said:

drewyboy said:
    Apparently you missed out on them showing that EXACT feature in their holiday video last year. Why put a feature in if no one can view it at that resolution? You're really try hard to make this contradiction work.

"Hey everyone, I shot some 4K video, lets watch it on my laptop, not on my big ass new 4k tv!"
    Yup.  That commerical won a friken Emmy.

use your iPhone to record video and show on AppleTV.  How the hell does a customer not want that feature? 

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/18/6030481/apple-takes-emmy-award-with-2013s-misunderstood-christmas-ad
    I'm pretty sure I can record video on my iPhone and view it on AppleTV. That commercial never says he's filming in 4K.
  • Reply 71 of 109
    I'm extremely disappointed by this move. The starter set for Apple TV costs nearly double the console versions for a subpar experience. The fact that the Apple Store is still selling this is unacceptable 
  • Reply 72 of 109

sog35 said:
    Personally I'm getting sick of the half-assed effort by Apple.

Who is to blame?  Why did the AppleTV4 not come out with full Siri support or remote App?  Where is the liveTV package?  Even friken Dish was able to negotiate a liveTV package, so has Sony, so has Google.  Yet Apple can't?  fuking frustrating.

Apple makes a big deal about gaming on AppleTV yet where are the big games? Total joke.  And requring all games to be playing on the Siri remote is ridiculous and dumb. They should have included a game controller. Makes me sick.

Then no 4k when 4k is a huge feature on the iPhone/iPad. I mean WTF are these guys thinking. so sick of this shit.

Personally I sick of this slow steady progress.  Sick of it. The competition does not do this. Why the hell does Apple have to withhold features ON PURPOSE?  So sick of this crap. Why can't Apple just give us the goods.  They are always withholding features for no other reason so we need to upgrade to AppleTV5 in year. Sick of this shit.

I'm willing to pay top $$$ to get the best. Stop dicking around Apple.

IMO the AppleTV4 should have included AT LAUNCH:

1. full Siri support
    2. full universal search support
    3. Remote App/Bluetooth keyboard support
    4. Game controller included
    5. 4k support and lossless audio
    6. Live TV package availability
    7. HomeKit features - why the fuc has Apple allowed Amazon to steal mindspace with Echo? Friken AppleTV would be the perfect Homekit device. 

Sick of Apple half-assing 

Same thing with iPad the last couple years (until they brought out the Pro)
    Also why the hell does the 9.7 Pro only have 2GB ram? WTF.

Every since Jobs died (oh no) wtf has Apple done?  I mean seriously wtf have they done?

What have they done? You mean besides make billions of dollars every quarter? Maybe they should have just closed down instead.
    And mcdonalds makes billions a year as well. what's your point, that profit equals quality?
    drewyboy
  • Reply 73 of 109
    sog35 said:
    auxio said:
    *sigh* where do I begin with the contradictions?

The very reason one would want 4K support in a device at this point, when there is very little 4K content available and the overwhelming majority of people don't even own a 4K TV, is because they want it to be future-proof (i.e. not have to buy a new device when 4K eventually comes of age).  That's at the very core of your argument.

And you still use your Blu-Ray player despite the fact that it's only playing video at 1080p (same as AppleTV)?

I've played a number of games with my son on our AppleTV (he loves Crossy Road and bowling games).  Somehow I doubt I'd be able to do that with a Roku or FireTV.  So your use of EVERYTHING only fits for you.
    I'm sorry but most people expect a device to last 2-3 years at least. In 2 years I can guarantee that there will be THOUSANDS of 4k video's on Netflix. The majority of the new movies will all support 4k
    And, by some leap of rationale, 1080p will somehow become completely unwatchable in 2 years?  People will literally be throwing all of their 1080p hardware in the garbage and/or gouging their eyes out in suffering (and yes, I'm being overly dramatic because you are).

For your information a Bluray disc has superior sound to any Netflix stream including 4k. Bluray discs use lossless Audio with 7.1 HD sound. My home theater setup has 7 speakers and I can instantly tell the difference between Bluray audio and 4k Netflix.  Also Bluray still beats many 4k streaming for video also. So why would I want 4k on AppleTV then?  Because I don't own every single Bluray movie I want to watch.  
    And there we go: 1080p video can look just as good (or better) than 4K streaming video in some situations due to compression artifacts, bandwidth limitations/traffic spikes/shaping, etc.  So even if 4K video is available for everything, if it needs to be heavily compressed or downgraded/throttled so that Netflix (or some other link in the content delivery chain) isn't overloaded, it might not even make a difference (Netflix' servers are already pretty flakey in my experience).  But hey, when it's a checkbox feature, who needs to consider all the details?

Answer this question:  If 4k is so unimportant to Apple why the HELL did they advertise and brag about shooting 4k video on the 6s?
    The 6s (without subsidies) costs 5 or 6 times what the AppleTV does.  People expect premium features like 4K video at that price point.  If they had made the AppleTV $650 (or more) in order to support 4K, the Internet would have literally exploded with the outrage at the price.  As well, it doesn't need to playback video at 4K (only record it).
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 74 of 109
    sog35 said:
    auxio said:
    And, by some leap of rationale, 1080p will somehow become completely unwatchable in 2 years?  People will literally be throwing all of their 1080p hardware in the garbage and/or gouging their eyes out in suffering (and yes, I'm being overly dramatic because you are).

And there we go: 1080p video can look just as good (or better) than 4K streaming video in some situations due to compression artifacts, bandwidth limitations/traffic spikes/shaping, etc.  So even if 4K video is available for everything, if it needs to be heavily compressed or downgraded/throttled so that Netflix (or some other link in the content delivery chain) isn't overloaded, it might not even make a difference (Netflix' servers are already pretty flakey in my experience).  But hey, when it's a checkbox feature, who needs to consider all the details?

The 6s (without subsidies) costs 5 or 6 times what the AppleTV does.  People expect premium features like 4K video at that price point.  If they had made the AppleTV $650 (or more) in order to support 4K, the Internet would have literally exploded with the outrage at the price.  As well, it doesn't need to playback video at 4K (only record it).
    WTF guy WTF.

4k streaming looks better than 1080p streaming. THAT IS A FACT.  Not everyone has Bluray's like me. So your argument does not stand up.  Or are you disputing that 1080p streaming looks better than 4k streaming?

There is a HUGE difference between having the hardware to film 4k (iPhone) and just showing the video (AppleTV). Enough with the total BULLSHIT that the AppleTV would have to be $650 to display 4k. Amazon/Roku has 4k ability and it cost $99. Stop with the bullshit.  People want 4k. Why the hell do you think so many 4k TVs are sold? Why the hell do you think Netflix and other sites offer 4k streaming? Why the hell do you think 4k disc players are coming out?  Why the hell do you think Apple advertised 4k video on the 6s.

Stop with the Bullshit. The Roku4 cost exactly same as the Roku3 when it came out.  And the Roku4 plays 4k.  It does not cost hundreds of dollars to add 4k ability.
    I don't have a 4K TV, and have no plans to get one in the near future given that I mostly use my TV for interactive entertainment (games, etc), which doesn't work well at 4K, so I honestly wouldn't know.

For my use of TV, I'd opt for dynamic/interactive 1080p content over non-interactive/prerecorded 4K content.  So I guess I'm the target market for AppleTV and you're not.  I'm not sure why you'd even get one given your obsession with 4K.
  • Reply 75 of 109
    I'm done with Sog. He lives in a fantasy land of future tech being available to all of the world and everyone has unlimited super high speed internet. 4K won't be nationally relevant for another ten years. Deal with it.

And read the article you posted about internet speeds in the country. It actually argues against your point.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 76 of 109
    rs1919rs1919 Posts: 13member
    sog35 said:

I really wonder how many people are using TV for games. My guess is not many. Serious gamers would be using a console or gaming PC and everyone else is probably just playing games on their iPad or iPhone. If Apple really wanted TV to be a gaming platform they would have made a controller for it and included it in the box. 
    This is what is wrong with the AppleTV.

Seems like they are trying to do so much they actual do nothing.

Is it a gaming system? If so there are far better systems out there.
    Is it a streaming device? You can get Roku/Fire for much cheaper.
    Does it run Apps? have not seen many really great Apps yet.
    Replace cable?  No LiveTV package yet.

The AppleTV4 lacks focus.  Too bad. It had alot of potential.

IMO, the AppleTV4 should have come out 3 years ago before Roku/Fire/Chromecast hit its stride. Apple should have found a way to close the live TV deal. They should have included a game controller in the box.  So many missed opportunties.

Sometimes I wonder what the hell Apple is doing.

It seems like Apple delays products from being great on purpose:

1. Not bringing a big iPhone in 2013.  Seems like they wanted to hang onto the 4 inch phone as long as possible even though they knew larger phones were what the market wanted. Proof was in their legal filing as early as 2012, where they said competition had large phones and Apple didn't.  Almost like they knew people would buy the 5s and then buy the 6 the next year anyway.

2. Not updating the iPad or giving it new features. Seems like they neglected the iPad on purpose during the 6/6s cycle.

3. Not updating the AppleTV. They bringing the AppleTV4 with its balls chopped off.

4. Not updating MacbookPro.  Giving iPad Pro only 2GB of RAM. ect.

Pretty sick of this shit.  Why can't Apple just give us the best possible product?  Stop with the sandbagging bullshit.  Just make the best possible product and stop worrying about holding back some features so people upgrade next year.
    Apple TV isn't a gaming system, it does have the capability to play games on the app store, but it is not intended primarily as a gaming system.  Most users don't buy it as a gaming system, that's why the don't include a controller out of the box (why make people pay for something they aren't likely to use).  The iPhone and iPad both started out with an extreme lack of dedicated apps (Yes, the iPad could play iPhone apps when it came out, but increasing the size of iPhone apps generally didn't work that well and the touch button and menus didn't translate and a lot of wasted real estate on the screen).  In fact the iPhone wasn't even released with an App store, so the Apple TV is actually off to a relatively fast start and does have some descent games.  Disney Infinity 3.0 was a pain in the ass to set up, and if you did want to play any portion of the game, it was a minimum of $20.

No live TV package yet is a problem and one I can assure you Apple has been trying to fix, but the cable companies are fighting this because it's been a cash cow for them.  Personally, I cut cable about a year ago and have loved Apple TV.  I use hulu (supports Siri, $9 a month and get episodes from ABC, NBC, Fox and others the next day after it's aired), Netflix, the CBS app ($5 a month, can watch live TV, on demand of close to its entire catalog, new episodes available the next day if you don't watch live).  On top of that, ESPN you can watch if you have... or one of your family members has some sort of cable service and watch live tv (or on Demand).  All of this is easy to and the addition of having Apple Music, mirroring capabilities, access to iTunes plethora of content makes it, and some access to some casual games and an app store that will continue to become more complete, makes me extremely happy with Apple TV.

1. As far as Apple delaying some features on the phone, it makes the decision as a business and the world market.  In 2013 China was easily it's fastest growing market and the world market as a whole was still buying smaller screen phones (look at the sale numbers of the galaxy series vs the note, again world wide) in that time period.

2. The iPad during the 6/6s cycle.  There's a cost/benefit analysis here.  How much could Apple have put into the iPad during this time that would have made a dramatic increase and not have a large increase in prices?

3. Not updating the Apple TV is simple due to processing power.  tvOS was written using a faster chip.  Why should Apple write a new OS for old technology and limit it?

4. iPad Pro only 2GB of ram.  As far as the iPad Pros, the smaller has 2GB of ram, the larger 4GB.  The difference in screen size and the RAM required for each puts both iPad at a pretty similar level. Including an extra 2GB of RAM would likely make minimal difference currently and most users won't see or utilize it.  Including it and increasing the costs of the iPad (making consumers upset) or reducing margins (shareholders whine more than you do) for a tiny portion of users who would actually use the RAM (assuming developers even put the time to use it, making there app more likely not to work with older devices which constitutes the majority of the market and user basis) simply doesn't make sense.

Bottom line, Apple hasn't become the worlds most valuable company without constantly looking at and assessing trade-offs with the products it puts out.  There will never be a perfect product that fits every persons need. You as a consumer have the choice of choosing which product you want.  I've seen you constantly posts about how bad things are with Apple.  There's a simple solution for you, switch to find something you like more or STFU.
  • Reply 77 of 109
    This planned obselence nonsense is just that, nonsense.

So, you're going to label something as "nonsense", and then confirm that it is in fact nonsense. I see.

Apple releases products when they think they're ready.

If you say so.

They're not intentionally holding back hardware to save it for the next model.

If you say so.

That's as absurd as those who think Apple intentionally constraints supply at a product launch to create the illusion of demand.

Because companies don't do this regularly? And Apple has no experience in manipulating the media and buying public?

There's always new innovations in the pipeline. Holding features back isn't necessary.

Like a watch? Or a crippled media player?
  • Reply 78 of 109
    sog35 said:

auxio said:
    I don't have a 4K TV, and have no plans to get one in the near future given that I mostly use my TV for interactive entertainment (games, etc), which doesn't work well at 4K, so I honestly wouldn't know.

For my use of TV, I'd opt for dynamic/interactive 1080p content over non-interactive/prerecorded 4K content.  So I guess I'm the target market for AppleTV and you're not.  I'm not sure why you'd even get one given your obsession with 4K.
    70% of new TV's sold last year was 4k
    This year will be closer to 80%

There is no excuse for Apple not to include this feature when competing devices have it at HALF THE PRICE.
    They don't support my use case.
  • Reply 79 of 109

sog35 said:
    I'm done with Sog. He lives in a fantasy land of future tech being available to all of the world and everyone has unlimited super high speed internet. 4K won't be nationally relevant for another ten years. Deal with it.

“I skate to where the puck is going"

Apple is NOT following that philosophy with 4k. 
    He also said:

"The computer is a bicycle for the mind"

and hated TV because it wasn't interactive like a computer.  So which philosophy do you choose?
  • Reply 80 of 109
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sog35 said:

70% of new TV's sold last year was 4k
    This year will be closer to 80%

According to this article: http://4k.com/news/more-than-3-million-4k-tvs-sold-in-april-of-2015-7526/

As of June of last year sales are approximately 14%. Considering that people generally keep their existing TV sets for almost a decade it will be awhile before it is considered commonplace. I think the adoption rate will significantly increase once OTA broadcasts start being delivered in 4K. That will indicate that the TV industry has finally upgraded their capabilities.

I have read that 4K TVs will be in 10% of US households by the year 2018. That might be the tipping point for Apple to beef up the hardware to run 4K smoothly. Plus, remember that TV streams data from the internet. Moving that much data reliably is not something that is ubiquitous across the US yet. Be patient, its coming.

People who are so fixated and emotional about TV and video games should probably get outdoors more often, take a walk, learn to garden, ride a bike or teach your kids to throw a baseball. Great stress relievers.
    edited March 2016