iPhone SE generating low traffic at Apple Stores, in line with predictions, analyst says

Posted:
in iPhone
The iPhone SE -- which officially went on sale earlier on Thursday -- is still easy to find in stock at Apple Stores in the U.S., according to checks by a well-known analyst.

A survey of 100 outlets found 90 percent availability for the 16-gigabyte space gray model, said Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster. Munster's team also did "spot checks" for the device's other colors in 25 stores, which showed approximately the same levels of inventory.

Apple's online store is offering delivery times between April 6 and 8 in the U.S., Munster added. In China, deliveries are only arriving between April 11 and 14, but both countries effectively have a 5-10 business day window.

"We view both the lack of lines and the high level of product availability as in line with expectations, reinforcing our view that the SE will be largely incremental to the model in replacing the low-end iPhone 5s," Munster said.

Although it was the centerpiece of Apple's March 21 press event, the SE isn't believed to be a flagship iPhone. That honor will probably go to the so-called "iPhone 7" and "iPhone 7 Plus," which should ship sometime this fall, most likely in September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    This is a story? Seriously? Was anybody expecting lines and shortages for a non-flagship phone? Good god Wall Street is desperate.
    melodyof1974yojimbo007jmey267muppetry6Sgoldfishcornchipbobschlob
  • Reply 2 of 30
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Cue the first story claiming this proves Apple is D00MED!!1! Apple Death Watch: now in its 41st year.
    melodyof1974jmey267quadra 610cornchipbobschlob
  • Reply 3 of 30
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    What i find interesting is that the larger iPad pro is going for $650 on eBay today (new) while it has an MSRP of $800. That's only $50 more than the $600 price of the newly introduced 9.7" iPad Pro. How long before we see the 9.7" iPad Pro going for $500 (as it should have been priced to begin with)?
  • Reply 4 of 30
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    Actually if you check availability most models have very quickly sold out!

Many 64gig models have a two week delivery wait!

We don't have lines at Apple stores anymore. They are a thing of the past due to preorders and instore pickup. The lack of lines means nothing!
    jasmemphis
  • Reply 5 of 30
    The same analysts who predicted the Doom of Apple if they did not bring back a smaller phone ?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    It would be beyond miracle if people lined up for iphone SE. Everyone knows that those holding on to 4S/5/5S are waking up to know that at last they have an excellent iphone upgrade available in smaller footprint..I have 4 out of 5 in family still on those models and they warming up to replace them in near future..So, wall-street needs to have bit longer vision than few days.
    cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 30
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    Here in the SF Bay Area they have sold out quickly.

The 64gig models are now hard to find, delivery is currently two weeks.

If you want a 16gig there might still be some depending on your carrier.

This analyst provides deliberately misleading data to support his pre-determined viewpoint by highlighting availability of the 16gig. With every iPhone release Apple always seem to have excessive 16gig available and the larger memory models always sell out first!
    cornchippalominejasmemphisicoco3
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Can't people buy the iPhone SE through the Apple store? Why would they have to go out and get one. I really don't quite understand why the analysts are so desperate to see Apple fail. They can accept Tesla being able to sell tens of thousands of Tesla Model 3 autos, but have a hard time believing Apple can easily sell five million iPhone SE units in a relatively short time even if there aren't lines around the block. Aren't these iPhones actually priced for China and India consumers? Would the locals be mainly waiting for the iPhone 7? It's really weird how Apple products are supposed to sell in high numbers from day one or the analysts will think no one is going to buy the iPhone SE. No matter what Apple does, they remain doomed. No one knows how many Amazon Echos are being sold but everyone assumes it's a huge amount because a few people say that's how it is. The analysts are always jumping on Apple sales early when they should simply wait a few days for some trend.
    Rayz2016cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 30
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Reality...
    HEADLINE!

iPhone SE has lines out the door...
    APPLE MISMANAGES SUPPLY CHAIN!

iPhone SE sells phenomenally well...
    APPLE CANNIBALIZES HIGH END PHONE SALES!

iPhone SE sales are okay-ish...
    IPHONE SALES PLUMMETING

iPhone SE sales are somewhat weak
    APPLEPOCALYPSE!

iPhone SE turns out to be a smash hit
    APPLE CAN'T INNOVATE!

It's a no win situation in terms of publicity.

The analysts, who badmouthed Apple for NOT selling this phone, are going to badmouth Apple BECAUSE they're selling this phone. God forbid, Apple should do what almost every single one of them was screaming for the company to do in 2013 and 2014. It's beyond ridiculous.

lkruppfastasleepkevin keecornchipjkichlinenolamacguybestkeptsecretpscooter63palominejasmemphis
  • Reply 10 of 30
    They should have done away with the 16gig and had the low price point with 64gig.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So the SE is an EPIC FAIL? 
    cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 30
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    schlack said:
    What i find interesting is that the larger iPad pro is going for $650 on eBay today (new) while it has an MSRP of $800. That's only $50 more than the $600 price of the newly introduced 9.7" iPad Pro. How long before we see the 9.7" iPad Pro going for $500 (as it should have been priced to begin with)?
    Lol...keep wishing. $500 for 9.7" iPad Pro will be at least 8 months from now on Black Friday. Good luck. For 12.9" Pro on eBay, fck it. I don't buy Apple devices on eBay.
    jasmemphis
  • Reply 13 of 30
    saltyzipsaltyzip Posts: 193member
    What the story is eluding too is their is no excitement in the smartphone market anymore, or in the tablet market for that matter either. The iPhone 7 will have a better CPU, better camera blah blah, who really gives a monkey anymore, the Facebook app will still look the same on it as will your email, why upgrade unless you've got money to burn?
    cornchipjasmemphis
  • Reply 14 of 30
    They should have done away with the 16gig and had the low price point with 64gig.
    Because that's a good idea.  /s

The thought process of lets increase our base cost while removing incentive for people to select a higher profit device is absolutely moronic. Especially when the base works well for so many people.

Personally I only know 2 people that have issues with their 16gb iPhones running low on storage. Both take 100s of pics/vids a week, have some music but don't have Apple Music, neither have a personal computer anymore, and they don't have wifi at home thanks to grandfathered in unlimited data plans. Both are planning on upgrading when the 7 come out to at least the mid-tier storage option. 
    edited March 2016 nolamacguyjasmemphis
  • Reply 15 of 30
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Then send 'Em to bloody New Zealand!  In the capital we ran out of phones by 11am (except nasty pink 16GB ones)
    jasmemphis
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Yeah, same in Brissbane, OZ. 64GB Model sold out the Official Apple Stores. Managed to get one at the Myers "Apple Store Section" which is somewhat hidden on the top floor. They only had about five 64GB models left.

However there are a ton of 16GB available everywhere :) 

16GB is a sad Joke in 2016.
    edited March 2016 jasmemphis
  • Reply 17 of 30
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    That there is not 100% immediate availability is news. There should not be any component shortages or manufacturing difficulties, so any difficulty at all matching supply to demand indicates that demand is higher than Apple expected.
    palominejasmemphis
  • Reply 18 of 30
    I picked up mine today, the Apple Store guy said, "Oh you're lucky we're almost out of that one!" (64 gig Space Grey) Not sure how truthful that is (though he didn't seem like he was lying.) I know a lot of people prefer the bigger phone, especially older people like my parents. However I as a spry 31 year old have eyes that work (with glasses) and love my new SE! And the trade in value of my 6 64 gig was great!
  • Reply 19 of 30
    robjn said:
    Actually if you check availability most models have very quickly sold out!

Many 64gig models have a two week delivery wait!

We don't have lines at Apple stores anymore. They are a thing of the past due to preorders and instore pickup. The lack of lines means nothing!
    all the people who loved 'waiting in line' are outside the Tesla Stores/showrooms :)
  • Reply 20 of 30
    The same analysts who predicted the Doom of Apple if they did not bring back a smaller phone ?

That's Apple for you. Doomed if they do, doomed if they don't.
    palomine