Verizon planning $20 upgrade fee even for customers of Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program, leak suggest

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    jm6032 said:
    I wish I could leave Verizon, but the other carriers just don't have the same coverage. T-Mobile seems to be the best out of the big 4 carriers for not gouging customers. T-Mobile's coverage sucks though outside of metro areas. It is tempting to switch since T-Mobile has free international data and voice. 
    True Story: Buddy and I went to Europe to meet up with my wife and one of her friends. I have (had) AT&T, he had T-Mobile. Get off plane in Amsterdam. I don't dare turn on my AT&T phone. He gets a text, "Welcome to Amsterdam. You now have unlimited data and $0.20 a minute calling." We fly to Budapest. My AT&T phone is in ultimate battery saver mode. His T-Mobile phone gets a text, "Welcome to Hungary. You now have unlimited data and $0.20 a minute calling." We drive to a resort town in Hungary. On the way, we cross into Austria. I'm not even turning on my AT&T phone to take pictures. His T-Mobile phone dings and he get's a text, "Welcome to Austria. You now have unlimited data and $0.20 a minute calling." Later we cross back into Hungary...You get the drift. I'm on T-Mobile now.
    Been on T-Mobile for a few years now. 95% of the time, the coverage is pretty good with LTE or 4G. Got the LTE hotspot at home because it was a dead spot and now have LTE in my neighborhood. Travelled to the Philippines for 16 days and paid $2.50 extra on my bill (actually made a short voice call) and that was it.
    latifbp
  • Reply 22 of 31
    If I buy my phone at an Apple Store with Apple Upgrade program - how it Verizon even involved?  Doesn't it look like I "brought my own device"?

Why is this even an Upgrade?

dysamoriatallest skil
  • Reply 23 of 31
    FYI Big red customers.  This change in upgrade fee will also be a change in the service agreement, in which you have 60 days after you're notified to cancel your contract penalty free.  You are notified by the footnotes at the end of your bill.  You signed a contract, they changed it, you have the right to back out.  It takes some time sometimes with a customer service rep, but its actually easy.  If you owe any on the phone or device payment plan, you will have to pay that balance for the device, or give it back.  As soon as this hits my bill, I'm jumping ship.
    latifbptallest skil
  • Reply 24 of 31
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    aross99 said:
    If I buy my phone at an Apple Store with Apple Upgrade program - how it Verizon even involved?  Doesn't it look like I "brought my own device"?

Why is this even an Upgrade?

Basically almost all carrier want to charge you every 2 years or so activation charge again. Even your account already activated.
    I guess new IMEI number put into their database cost $20.

Some comments said this will not cost anything.. No.. Everything count as cost..
    Even employee does anything and seat around still cost them. Why? Because they pay you by an hour you are in the office. Not pay for what you do per hour.

Also keep in mind, Verizon's worker recently agreed not to strike and get some increase their wages and compensation..
    So the company need to increase income. Here it is..
    Instead decrease their stock dividend, They just collect the money from customer(which include their own employee) and give to employees. Kind a funny.
    One hand pay to the company and other hand collect from them.

• Reply 25 of 31
    BeenzBeenz Posts: 6member
    I don't understand how it is thought even if your on an Apple Iphone program they can charge this....Can someone explain? The way i read it is that if you upgrade on V plans 2-year payment or outright...you would incure the charge wether you are in a V store and/or authorized retailer. Apple is an authorized retailer of V and thus if you went an upgraded with V there you would still get the charge as in store or online. BUT not the iphone upgrade program to apple because you pay apple then not your SP right? This would be just as BYOD because then it is not "upgraded" thru V.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    It does NOT include devices on Apples Payment Plan! (I wish people would research) Here is my chat transcript with V. 
    Reference Number: 724893716191281088
    DATE/TIME: 2016-04-01 09:37:14
    Chat Transcript
    PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE - All replies are automatically deleted.

Verizon : Hi! How can I help you today?

You : Question there is price changes for upgrades coming on April 4. 

HOWARD : Thank you for chatting with Verizon Wireless!

HOWARD : Welcome to Verizon Wireless Sales chat!

HOWARD : Who do I have the pleasure of chatting with today?

You : Do these effect An iphone bought thru apple on apples payment plan?

You : Mike

HOWARD : HI Mike !

HOWARD : These do not apply to devices bought through apple !

You : Thank you very much

HOWARD : YOur very welcome 1

HOWARD : HAve a nice day!

• Reply 27 of 31
    So why do people still use AT&T and Verizon? T-Mobile all the way. No overages. No made up fees. Unlimited everything. Free North America roaming. Wifi calling.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Beenz said:
    It does NOT include devices on Apples Payment Plan! (I wish people would research) Here is my chat transcript with V. 
    Chat Transcript

It clearly shows in the original graphic that there was a 20.00 charge for " Iphone Upgrade program at the Apple store" I am not sure if it's a lack of research. Also can you say with 100% accuracy that this chat rep knows what he is talking about? In my personal experience ( not with Verizon ) chat reps aren't always the most knowledgeable. Just my 2c...
  • Reply 29 of 31
    jcs2305 said:
    Beenz said:
    Chat Transcript

It clearly shows in the original graphic that there was a 20.00 charge for " Iphone Upgrade program at the Apple store" I am not sure if it's a lack of research. Also can you say with 100% accuracy that this chat rep knows what he is talking about? In my personal experience ( not with Verizon ) chat reps aren't always the most knowledgeable. Just my 2c...
    "This is just if you upgrade using Verizon @ an apple store. Not the Apple upgrade program as it does not go thru any carrier, thus making the device "Customer Provided Equipment"" ......this was from a store manager where i live. And i wasnt trying to be snarky.( i just wish if someone is unsure list it as a possibility)
  • Reply 30 of 31
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Beenz said:
    jcs2305 said:
    "This is just if you upgrade using Verizon @ an apple store. Not the Apple upgrade program as it does not go thru any carrier, thus making the device "Customer Provided Equipment"" ......this was from a store manager where i live. And i wasnt trying to be snarky.( i just wish if someone is unsure list it as a possibility)
    Gotcha no worries. :wink: 

Although I am still not sure that this is just a device upgrade at apple store. It specifically says iPhone Upgrade program at the Apple store". Then directly below there is 0.00 charge for customer provided equipment.. My real interest is if it ends up being for the Apple Upgrade program which is how I purchased my 6s Plus, will AT&T soon follow Verizon's lead and also institute this type of charge ( AT&T is my carrier currently). 
    Beenz
  • Reply 31 of 31
    rhulevarhuleva Posts: 6member
    This is just another excuse to raise prices! I wish it was limited to Veizon, but sadly consumers are getting shafted at every turn.

Verizon has long been one of the wireless "ripoff" industry leaders. For years they have charged $35 to upgrade your phone - and another $35 if you want to return/exchange within 14 days! Up to $70 just to upgrade to a phone you actually like???

Now another $20 to upgrade??? I can't even keep straight what all of these fees are for anymore - and I really don't want to have to!

I hear good things about T-mobile, but seriously, how long will it be before they do the same thing? If all of their competition does it, they are just leaving easy money on the table by not doing the same thing.

It may be time to look at some of the discount providers a little it closer!